PDA

View Full Version : Tieng Viet lovers club

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

leecs
27-04-2009, 11:54 PM
hi! i need help on this. thanks

"em ngu roj. co gj ngay mai yahoo. bye bye anh."

naemlo
27-04-2009, 11:59 PM

I think she typed a few wrong characters. :D

"em ngu roi" = She slept already.

"Co gj", I dun understand . "co gj ngay mai yahoo" is "XXX tomorrow yahoo". :D

lordstriker
28-04-2009, 02:20 AM
What are u doing in sgp? Working or studying? :D

Maybe u can first talk about the holiday of Vietnam... How about the coming one 30 Thang 4? What is its significance?

Oh 30 April is a sort of Victory Day. 30 April 1975 North Vietnam (Viet Cong) saw a defeated of South Vietnam government ( actually under America). It marked the fall of Saigon. From there, North and South were united under 1 country, Social Republic of Vietnam. And it was also the end of the war with America.

However, many south ppl didnt like to be under communist rule. Many fled to overseas. So to many Vietnamese refugee, 30 April is the day of losing their own nation. So while many mainland Vietnamese celebrate the day, many other oversea Vietnamese would show their hatred, sorrow, not to the country but to the current government.

:)

KangTuo
28-04-2009, 03:33 AM

I think she typed a few wrong characters. :D

"em ngu roi" = She slept already.

"Co gj", I dun understand . "co gj ngay mai yahoo" is "XXX tomorrow yahoo". :D

co gj = co gi

translate: "got anything, tomorrow yahoo"

for sms, the letter 'i' is number '4'. need to press 3 times. So to make it easy, they use 'j' which is the number '5'. press once is enough

a shorter for: e ngu r, co j n mai yahoo.

nowadays younger vn gals like to use alot short-cut or short form especially those who chat online alot. Sometimes really difficult to catch what they means

lordstriker
28-04-2009, 05:37 AM
co gj = co gi

translate: "got anything, tomorrow yahoo"

for sms, the letter 'i' is number '4'. need to press 3 times. So to make it easy, they use 'j' which is the number '5'. press once is enough

a shorter for: e ngu r, co j n mai yahoo.

nowadays younger vn gals like to use alot short-cut or short form especially those who chat online alot. Sometimes really difficult to catch what they means

Yup, 9X people like to replace letter "i" by "j" , "c" by "k" :D

naemlo
28-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quite short short, all so short.... I having difficulty with SYT too. :D

leecs
28-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys for your help...

VietnamLover
28-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Chao lordstriker. Ban khoe ko? Rat vui gap ban o day. Ban la nguoi mien bac hay mien nam? Ban co cong viec o Singapore?

jackbl
28-04-2009, 11:52 AM
How abt yourself? Which province u come from? U working in spore?

Chao lordstriker. Ban khoe ko? Rat vui gap ban o day. Ban la nguoi mien bac hay mien nam? Ban co cong viec o Singapore?

jackbl
29-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Staying home
======================

The economic downturn is reflected in the declining number of well-heeled parents sending their children to study at foreign schools and universities.

Fewer young people are going overseas to study as the global economic crisis eats into the budgets of the well-off.

From June 2008 to March 19 this year, the number of applications at the US consulate for a student visa and study permit was down by 13 percent from a year earlier, according to the consulate’s visa department.

The firms that arrange and advise on foreign study say they have 30-50 percent fewer clients than in the second half of last year.

Academic Service Cooperation International in Hanoi has seen its clientele decrease by 20 percent as fewer people in finance and real estate opt to send their offspring abroad, according to the firm’s director, Nguyen Dang Hien.

“When we ask them why, they say their plans have changed and that they will wait one or two years at least,” Hien said.

Saigontourist’s foreign study department has suffered much worse as its numbers are down by more than half, according to department chief Le Hoang Tuan.

Like the Academic Service in Hanoi, Tuan’s firm has seen a “dramatic decrease” in the number of real estate and finance professionals coming to his door.

Higher university fees, rent and living expenses are making many families reconsider sending their children overseas.

Yet, despite the overall drop in numbers, one area is still growing: the traditional client with a long-term view, Tuan said.

Some people are making the most of the economic downturn and the extra free time that comes with it to study abroad for a higher degree or simply to expand their knowledge, Tuan said.

“In this economic downturn, it’s hard for young people to land decent jobs,” said Thanh Vinh, a parent from the northern province of Hai Duong.

“Letting them study abroad is a way for both parents and children to make the most of this difficult time.

“They’ll be able to find better jobs after they finish studying overseas,” said Vinh, whose son is studying business administration in Singapore.

Le Binh from the northern province of Hai Phong sent his daughter to Australia to study information technology.

“It’s a waste to sit at home and hope for something to turn up,” Binh said.

MD Solutions director Trang Dao said the crisis was leading young people to opt for finance, risk management, banking and business administration.

Thanh Tra, who is heading overseas soon to study risk management, thinks her chosen field holds much promise given the instability of Vietnam’s economy at the moment.

“By taking it as my major, I won’t be worried about my future after graduation, especially if the economy is on the mend,” she said.

Eagerness to study abroad is well and good but it has to contend with higher school fees and the reduced chance of getting part-time employment while studying at university.

That’s why more young people are going to countries where it’s relatively cheap to live for the first year or two of university, before finishing their degrees in Europe or the US, according to Hien and Tuan.

It explains the higher number of Vietnamese students in Singapore and China these days.

In China, for example, annual university fees range from US$2,000 to $4,000 and are a fraction of the cost in the US or Japan.

Some 1,200 Vietnamese were studying in China in 2003. Since then, the number has swelled to nearly 5,000, according to the Chinese Embassy.

Singapore is certainly more expensive, averaging more than $11,000 a year, but it’s still a lot less than Britain, where the average annual fee for university works out at around $18,650.

Some 4,000 Vietnamese are studying in Singapore. According to Singapore’s consulate in Vietnam, this figure will grow by as much as 50 percent annually in the coming years.

Source: TN, TBKTSG

jackbl
29-04-2009, 08:44 AM
No room at the inn
===========================

With two public holidays followed by the weekend coming up, so many people want to take vacations that travel agents are swamped beyond their ability to please everyone.

No more hotel rooms are available, tour operators have no empty seats to fill, and most travel companies are turning down booking requests.

There’s no sign of the slowing economy, what with hordes of people rushing to book a four-day vacation from Thursday’s Liberation Day through Friday’s Labor Day to Sunday evening.

Tour operators in Ho Chi Minh City say they have booked up to 15 percent more customers than last year, when the public holidays fell on Wednesday and Thursday.

Tran Doan The Duy of Vietravel says all the places on his company’s package tours to Beijing-Shanghai, Singapore and South Korea have been taken.

Fiditour, which is just as inundated with requests, is arranging more tours to Singapore and Malaysia as the firm’s scheduled trips to the two countries are full.

Saigontourist has seen a surge in domestic tour reservations too, partly because many people have canceled trips to Thailand because of the political troubles there, according to the travel firm’s Lam Tu Khoi.

Tours from Can Tho City to Phu Quoc Island, Da Lat, Nha Trang and Hoi An are booked out, Luu Nguyen Anh Thu of Saigontourist’s Can Tho branch told Tuoi Tre on Sunday.

In the opposite direction, travel agents have booked more than 1,000 people into Can Tho’s My Khanh Village, which is described as an “ecotourism hotspot of the Mekong Delta.”

In Kien Giang Province to the south, the hotels and guest houses on Phu Quoc Island have been flooded with requests for accommodation since early this month, and most of the hotels have run out of empty rooms.

In south-central Binh Thuan Province, director Lam Quang Hien of the local tourism department said on Sunday that “it’s too late to book a hotel room now.”

His department has ordered hotels and other lodgings in the province to keep their rates unchanged and improve their service.

Oddly enough, some small hotels in Binh Thuan have actually knocked 10-30 percent off their normal room tariffs.

Hien thinks the number of holidaymakers spending the four days in Phan Thiet, Rom Island or La Gi Beach will jump by 7 percent from last year to more than 53,000.

Rom Island Resort took more than 1,200 group and individual bookings a month ago, according to the resort’s general manager, Nguyen Van Tho.

“The only thing left for us to do is welcome the visitors,” Tho said.

Since Sunday, all phone calls and emails to the multitude of hotels in Da Lat have been answered with an apology that there’s no room left.

There are some 600 hotels in the highland city yet room reservations began flooding in two months ago, even though some hotels have doubled their rates.

Hotels in Da Nang have also raised their prices knowing there will be so many visitors desperate for a place to stay.

It’s estimated that 30 percent more people from Hanoi and HCMC will visit the central city this week compared to a year ago.

Every hotel and resort on the Da Nang coast has been booked out, according to Tran Chi Cuong of the local tourism department.

Cuong believes the cable car at Ba Na Mountain alone will attract more than 5,000 tourists this week, and advises people wanting to visit Ba Na to just go for the day as there are far too few guest rooms for everyone.

The town of Hue to the north of Da Nang will be twice as crowded as usual now that all the three-star and cheaper accommodation is taken and the higher-end hotels are up to 80 percent booked.

Leading travel firm Vitour has had to turn down requests to carry tour operators’ customers to the central region. Vitour deputy general director Cao Tri Dung said his company was only accepting individual seat bookings for the long holiday.

There are no seats left on flights from HCMC or mainland Kien Giang to Phu Quoc Island, or on the passenger ferries that operate between the island and the mainland.

On the highways, there will definitely be more buses from HCMC to Vung Tau, Da Lat, Phan Thiet, Nha Trang and Buon Ma Thuot, according to Thuong Thanh Hai, deputy director of Mien Dong Bus Station, the main coach terminus in HCMC.

The city’s Mien Tay Bus Station, which services the Mekong Delta, will use 60 buses to carry the extra passengers to Can Tho and the rest of the region this week, deputy station manager Huynh Hai Oanh said.

Source: TT, TN

leecs
29-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi! Im sorry. I need you guys help to translate what she replied. Thanks

My sms to her was: Chao buoi sang. Ban khoe khong? Toi khong nhin thay ban vao yahoo messenger hom qua. Toi co the di Vietnam than ke tiep. Khong xac nhan.

Her reply was: Ok. Chao buoi sang. Rat han hanh John den Vietnam nha hong ko co internet. Nen phaj rat tiem net

jackbl
29-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I m surprised with your level of vietnamese. You have written some words which i dun understand, clearly your level is above mine. The reply from your fren is simple but u dun know :p j/k

Hong: Very honoured to have John to be in Vietnam. My house dun have internet so must go internet shop.

Hi! Im sorry. I need you guys help to translate what she replied. Thanks

My sms to her was: Chao buoi sang. Ban khoe khong? Toi khong nhin thay ban vao yahoo messenger hom qua. Toi co the di Vietnam than ke tiep. Khong xac nhan.

Her reply was: Ok. Chao buoi sang. Rat han hanh John den Vietnam nha hong ko co internet. Nen phaj rat tiem net

leecs
29-04-2009, 01:29 PM
hahaha!!!! i use vdict.com. Direct translation la... My Tieng Viet is 有限工司.

then after a few smses, she replied me this:

"dang yahoo. john internet nha ok. 10g quo di lam."

I only know "10g" is 10 o'clock, "di" is go. the rest im f**ked.....

ThailandLover
29-04-2009, 02:46 PM
jackbl, toi la nguoi Singapore, ko phai nguoi Vietnam. Toi da sinh ra va lon len o Singapore. Tat nhien anh lam viec o Singapore.

How abt yourself? Which province u come from? U working in spore?

Reaper
29-04-2009, 04:20 PM
hahaha!!!! i use vdict.com. Direct translation la... My Tieng Viet is 有限工司.

then after a few smses, she replied me this:

"dang yahoo. john internet nha ok. 10g quo di lam."

I only know "10g" is 10 o'clock, "di" is go. the rest im f**ked.....

Now Yahoo. John Internet also. 10 (Pm/am) go work

spid3rm4n
29-04-2009, 04:45 PM
ke a. means what ah? cuz i msg 'all right..i go sleep already..nite..' and tats the reply i got..haha

naemlo
29-04-2009, 05:31 PM
ke a. means what ah? cuz i msg 'all right..i go sleep already..nite..' and tats the reply i got..haha

I guess she meant, "k, anh", ok to u. :rolleyes:

KangTuo
29-04-2009, 05:35 PM
A good try, KangTuo. You translated almost every words correct. Now let me correct a few words.

Ke anh -> Ignore you.
Em ko quan tam -> I don't care.
Em se co gang quen anh -> I will try to forget you. The word 'strive' is not needed.

see above for what 'ke a' means... :)

spid3rm4n
29-04-2009, 05:43 PM
thxs alot.. :)

jackbl
29-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi, i post the question to VietnamLover why u reply? :D Are you and VietnamLover the same person? :D

jackbl, toi la nguoi Singapore, ko phai nguoi Vietnam. Toi da sinh ra va lon len o Singapore. Tat nhien anh lam viec o Singapore.

lordstriker
30-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Chao bro Vietnamlover, toi la nguoi mien bac. Toi dang o Singapore lam viec.:)

Btw, do u guys realize the difference in accent between the North and South ppl?

jackbl
30-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Vang, definitely there is difference.

Chao bro Vietnamlover, toi la nguoi mien bac. Toi dang o Singapore lam viec.:)

Btw, do u guys realize the difference in accent between the North and South ppl?

jackbl
30-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Nation celebrates May Day, Liberation Day
====================================

VietNamNet Bridge – Ho Chi Minh Thought will shine forever as it leads Viet Nam’s revolution to further progress, Ha Noi People’s Committee chairman Nguyen The Thao said yesterday.

The chairman was speaking at a ceremony for Liberation Day – the final liberation of southern Viet Nam and the reunification of all Viet Nam on April 30, 1975, and International Labour Day.

The national holiday for Liberation Day falls tomorrow and for the 123rd International Labour Day, or May Day, Friday.

"We are remembering President Ho Chi Minh, the founder and leader of our Party and the great teacher of Viet Nam’s Revolution," said the chairman.

"We are also remembering the soldiers and others who made great sacrifices for the country’s liberation and unification."

Communist Party General Secretary Nong Duc Manh; former Party General Secretaries Do Muoi and Le Kha Phieu; former President Tran Duc Luong; National Assembly Vice Chairwoman Tong Thi Phong; former National Assembly Chairman Nguyen Van An and Ha Noi Party chapter Secretary Pham Quang Nghi all attended the ceremony.

So did senior members of ministries; representatives of heroic mothers; the armed forces and all social classes.

War veteran Nguyen Van Hieu and Mai Dong Limited Company trade union chairwoman Tran Thi Huyen expressed their gratitude and belief in the Party’s leadership at the ceremony.

The duo, who spoke after the municipal people’s committee chairman had identified Ha Noi’s achievements during 20 years of renewal, pledged their energy, intellect and talent to help prepare for the 1,000th anniversary of Thang Long-Ha Noi.

Ha Noi warning

The municipal people’s committee chairman, Nguyen The Thao, warned of the difficulties facing Ha Noi, despite the progress already made.

The chairman said economic growth had been fast and stable; people’s lives had improved; political and social security had stabilised and external relation extended,

But the world financial crisis; the consequences of the severe floods late last year and the city’s extension into neighbouring provinces, posed challenges, he said.

The city would focus on comprehensive packages to mitigate the results of the economic contraction; ensure social welfare; successful urban planning and the development of rural infrastructure.

The people’s committee would also promote social and cultural activities for the anniversary.

VietNamNet/Viet Nam News

asiancigar
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Can a fellow bro here trans this for me pls.....

" Hy vong hom nay se gap em.... "

Cheerz
AC

lordstriker
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Can a fellow bro here trans this for me pls.....

" Hy vong hom nay se gap em.... "

Cheerz
AC

Hope to see you today....

Hy vong = hope
hom nay = today
gap = meet / see
em = you ( refer to a girl )

asiancigar
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Hope to see you today....

Hy vong = hope
hom nay = today
gap = meet / see
em = you ( refer to a girl )

Much thanks Bro Lordstriker

Cheerz
AC

RockViet
01-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Vang, definitely there is difference.

I prefer the accent from the north sound very polite... like those news reader or tv compere on VN tv... how about bro here?

RockViet
01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
...ky niem 34 nam. Ngay 30 Thang 4 nam 1975

Độc lập ! Tự do ! Hạnh phúc !:)

casannova03
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Anh la nguoi Viet phai ko? :D

RockViet
01-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Anh la nguoi Viet phai ko? :D

hehe Toi kg phai la nguoi vn. Toi la nguoi sillypore. Lam Nguoi sillypore cuc kho tai vi phai di linh 2 nam. 2 nam kg co tien kg co nguoi yeu keke. Cuc!

hen hanh duoc gap ban o day ....thich tieng viet, thich lich su viet nam, thich san pham vn va .....con gai vn phai kg? hehe:D

casannova03
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
hehe Toi kg phai la nguoi vn. Toi la nguoi sillypore. Lam Nguoi sillypore cuc kho tai vi phai di linh 2 nam. 2 nam kg co tien kg co nguoi yeu keke. Cuc!

hen hanh duoc gap ban o day ....thich tieng viet, thich lich su viet nam, thich san pham vn va .....con gai vn phai kg? hehe:D

hahahaha!! :D

cai gi cung cho anh noi het roi..anh muon em noi gi nua??:D

RockViet
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
hahahaha!! :D

cai gi cung cho anh noi het roi..anh muon em noi gi nua??:D

noi... Do an vn?? Bx cua anh nua com ngon kg? keke .

jackbl
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Bro u post 1 day too late, today is 1st May!

Khong co gi quy hon doc lap va tu do!

jackbl
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow your standard of vietnamese is very high! I can see 1000 points leh...

1 of the thing i cannot be customised is the food of vn... :(:o:confused:

hehe Toi kg phai la nguoi vn. Toi la nguoi sillypore. hen hanh duoc gap ban o day ....thich tieng viet, thich lich su viet nam, thich san pham vn va .....con gai vn phai kg? hehe

noi... Do an vn?? Bx cua anh nua com ngon kg? keke .

jackbl
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry to point out something here. Is it hen hanh or han hanh? Because i need to use dictionary to translate the words you written but i cant find...

No hard feeling :D
hen hanh duoc gap ban o day

lordstriker
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I prefer the accent from the north sound very polite... like those news reader or tv compere on VN tv... how about bro here?

There is still accent of central part. It's is very difficult to understand if you are new to it. Especially when you hear the old people talking. I guess it's their dialect. Some of the words are totally different.

lordstriker
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry to point out something here. Is it hen hanh or han hanh? Because i need to use dictionary to translate the words you written but i cant find...

No hard feeling :D

It is " han hanh " bro

Btw, why dont u like Vietnamese food? :D maybe your bx is not a good cook, isnt it? j/k

RockViet
02-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Wow your standard of vietnamese is very high! I can see 1000 points leh...

1 of the thing i cannot be customised is the food of vn... :(:o:confused:

ohh hehe spelling fail... should be "han hanh" har? forgot:D...no la my standard not high la. maybe i know cantonese and chinese dialag that helps me remember..

Sao anh kg thich vn food? Toi thich lam ..Ngon ma...I only eat before bun bo hue, gioi cuon, gioi xoai, banh mi, bun mam, hu tieu, pho!! cha gio, Bo kho, I love them all, There are some place here selling quite nice.

jackbl
02-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the confirmation.

Naturally i dun like vietnamese food. I like Com Chay :D

It is " han hanh " bro

Btw, why dont u like Vietnamese food? :D maybe your bx is not a good cook, isnt it? j/k

RockViet
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Bro u post 1 day too late, today is 1st May!

Khong co gi quy hon doc lap va tu do!

hee . tai vi toi hom qua 30/4 di lam ve nha met quen.

jackbl
02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Do you have any recommendation which place sells these dishes nice?

...I only eat before bun bo hue, gioi cuon, gioi xoai, banh mi, bun mam, hu tieu, pho!! cha gio, Bo kho, I love them all, There are some place here selling quite nice.

RockViet
02-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Do you have any recommendation which place sells these dishes nice?

coffee shop next to Joo chiat NPP(police post) got a Quan an viet nam stall . And also joo chiat rd and joo chiat place junction got a bare cement patch for public performance... the quan an vn shop next to the bare cement patch also i find it nice
5-6 yrs back there's a vn restaurant "Mai's" at marina sq (before renovate) serving good vn food. open by a vn lady after marina renovate she shift to the building next to PlazaSingapura then later sell the shop. she is quite a well known figure who ocassionally teach vn cooking in those afternoon ch8 auntie show.

maybe i like becos those herb/mint leaf smell and the light aroma i find it nice...VN food generally quite expensive compare to sg food. at coffee shop a pho 5-6$ i think bcos of the big slice beef ....... my "Nam Tram dong" (5cts sgd) comments.:D

casannova03
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
haha.. toi rat thich an com suon va banh mi...ngon lam!!!;)

jackbl
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Homeless in the big, wide Web
===============================

Vietnamese bloggers are at a loss to decide which social network they should switch to now that Yahoo! 360o is on the way out.

While online social networks elsewhere in the world are usually for people who already know each other and are rarely used to find a new relationship owing to the high level of privacy, here it’s the opposite.

In Vietnam, which is considered something of an oddity in the world of online social networking, a blog is more than an online diary.

Instead of the bare bones of daily updates, you can find long entries about what’s happening in society, often with some sharp criticism thrown in, along with more general thoughts and views on life.

Here is the blog of a young man writing mostly about charitable events and activities, there a young mother telling the world about her little girl’s progress since birth.

“Blogging is just one of the many uses of a social network, but in Vietnam it is worshipped above all,” says one authority on the subject.

Most Vietnamese bloggers use Yahoo! 360o, the country’s most popular social networking site, so it’s no wonder that Yahoo!’s decision to end the service has caused more than a ripple in the local blogosphere.

Last November, Vu Minh Tri of Yahoo! Vietnam said he expected the service to finish in April.

Then a month ago, Ken Mandel, the executive director of Yahoo! Southeast Asia, told Sai Gon Giai Phong that it would be closed soon but refused to say when; only that it is dependent on bloggers’ progress in moving to other sites like Yahoo! 360 Plus.

While Yahoo! is confusing users with ambiguous announcements and disrupting them with service glitches, Vietnamese bloggers are girding their loins for the day when Yahoo! 360o is no more.

Where can they go?

Most bloggers say they don’t know which sites to trust with their blogs, which Vietnamese or foreign network can give them what Yahoo! 360o has provided for so long.

“At the moment, for Vietnamese bloggers, no social network is a perfect replacement for Yahoo! 360o,” says Phan Dang Dung, former marketing director of an online social network.

Dung says the important thing here is the personal connection, adding that each blogger’s connection to others forms part of a circle. The more famous the blogger, the bigger the circle.

“So, when deciding on a new weblog network, what they care about foremost is whether their circle will follow them or not,” he says.

It’s the reason why most bloggers are yet to choose a new network or start using another one while maintaining their 360o blog, according to Dung, whose blog is widely read.

Some people have turned to Facebook because of its convenient features like speedier photo posting compared to Yahoo! 360o.

Not others, as the most popular online social network in Europe and the US doesn’t let them post long entries like Yahoo! 360o.

Some people have turned to foreign networks like WordPress, Opera, Hi5 and Multiply as they don’t trust local ones like Yume, Tamtay.vn and Yobanbe, which have been accused of revealing users’ personal information and of technical faults that wipe out whole entries.

“I’ve yet to decide where I will concentrate my work,” a blogger who has set up shop at Facebook, WordPress, H5 and Yahoo! 360 Plus told the newswire VnExpress.

Breaking off

As bloggers move away from Yahoo! 360o, it raises a concern that the information-sharing power they have built up by having the one networking website will be dissipated.

“Bloggers have a lot of influence nowadays,” says blogger Nguyen Hong Duc, a student at the Ho Chi Minh City University of Foreign Languages and Information Technology and a freelancer for a public relations outfit.

“A post about a news event with plenty of emotion and personal points of view can attract tens of thousands of readers as it’s much more interesting than a brief item in a newspaper.”

That is why it isn’t strange for famous bloggers to be invited to press conferences and PR events by the likes of Nokia and Samsung.

After the courting is done, the bloggers post informative entries with lots of photos, sometimes with a touch of humor, sometimes with plenty of criticism. Such posts can draw thousands of comments from readers.

Now everything is changing as Yahoo! 360o becomes unstable and people begin moving to other networks, Duc says.

“The efforts of the hot bloggers [to build up a strong channel of information] seem to have been for naught.”

Another authority says it will be a long time before a different online social network in Vietnam can do what Yahoo! 360o has done.

Everlasting love

Many bloggers say they will stick with Yahoo! 360o until it’s dead.

In a poll conducted by VnExpress on April 14, more than half of the 1,743 respondents said they would stay until its last breath, and more than 15 percent said they would stop blogging altogether after the service died.

They remain loyal to Yahoo! 360o despite the problems it’s causing them.

“Blog entries sometimes disappear, making comment can require guerilla tactics, page views suddenly disappear then reappear just as mysteriously, yet few of us want to leave,” says one faithful fan.

“It’s sad to say goodbye to the most popular weblog,” writes Andre in a post. “It’s painful to think I won’t be able to read such valuable entries after Yahoo! 360o closes down.”

Another poster even writes, “I’ll stay where I’ve found all of you, where I’ve experienced moments of peace and smiles of satisfaction, until the very last moment.”

Source: TT, TP

lordstriker
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
My friend just opened 1 stall selling Vietnamese food at the newly renovated foodcourt at Bencoleen (opposite SMU). I haven't checked it out though. Maybe you guys can give it a try. Actually, I don't really like to eat Viet food in Singapore. It's expensive and the taste is not really as good as in Vietnam

RockViet
03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
some complilation of vn words which i find interesting n share with bro here. i think they are imported from chinese words . .....some sounded like cantonese or chinese dialact..

cám ơn - 感恩(gan en)/谢谢 - thank you
tạp chí - 雜誌(zha chi)- magazine
Phụ nữ - 妇女(fu nu) - women (e.g tap chi phu nu..a women magazine in vn)
công an - 工安(gong an) - Public Security i.e police
gia đ́nh - 家庭(jia ting) - family
lịch sử - 历史(li shi) - history
hy vọng -希望(xi wang) - hope
thành phần - 成份(cheng fen) - ingredient
trường đại học - 大学(da xue) - university
trường tiểu học - 小学(xiao xue) - junior/primary school
học/ học tập - 学习(xue xi) - learn/practice
quốc gia - 国家(guo jia) - country
quốc tế - 国际(guo ji) - international
hàng không - 航空(hang kong) - airline
công ty - 公司(gong si) - company (e.g Công ty Hàng không Việt Nam )
công viên - 公园(gong yuan) - park
bảo hiểm - 保险(bao xian) - insurance
quảng cáo - 广告(guang gao)- advertisement
quan hệ - 关系(guan xi) - in relation
lăng phí - 浪费(lang fei) - wasting/wastage
thể thao - 体操(ti chao)/体育 - sports
thể dục 体育(ti yu) /健身 - exercise
âm nhạc - 音乐(ying yue) - music
thêm - 添加(tian jia) - add
trợ lư - 助理(zhu li) - assistant
công nhân -工人(gong ren) - worker
quản lư -管理(guan li)- management/managing
khoa học- 科学(ke xue) -science
nhân viên - 人员(ren yuan) -staff
phục vụ -服务(fu wu) -service
thời tiết dự báo -天气预报(tian qi yu bao)- weather forecast
Kinh tế - 经济(jin ji) - Economics
Chính trị - 政治(zheng zhi)- Political
chính phủ - 政府(zheng fu)- the Government
trung tâm - 中心 (zhong xin)- Central (e.g trung tam thanh pho = city central)
quan tâm - 关心(guan xin) - care (e.g anh khong quan tam em!)

jackbl
03-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Talking about vietnamese food, u walk down this Bencoleen street towards the SI MA LU temple, there is another food court opposite the H81, there is a stall selling viet food too. Not expensive but the taste I am no expert to judge. I heard their vietnamese accent is from Northern part... Does northern food taste better than the southern? :D

My friend just opened 1 stall selling Vietnamese food at the newly renovated foodcourt at Bencoleen (opposite SMU). I haven't checked it out though. Maybe you guys can give it a try. Actually, I don't really like to eat Viet food in Singapore. It's expensive and the taste is not really as good as in Vietnam

lordstriker
03-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Great bro RockViet! I learned a few more chinese words from your post. Thks ya!

Talking about vietnamese food, u walk down this Bencoleen street towards the SI MA LU temple, there is another food court opposite the H81, there is a stall selling viet food too. Not expensive but the taste I am no expert to judge. I heard their vietnamese accent is from Northern part... Does northern food taste better than the southern? :D

Different parts in Vietnam have different taste of food, and different kind of special foods. So, hard to say which part of Vietnam has a better food. Also, it well depends on individual taste.

jackbl
03-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Come come come.... U teach me vietnamese I teach u mandarin.

Great bro RockViet! I learned a few more chinese words from your post. Thks ya!

Hurricane88
03-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Me too dun eat Vn food in sgp...ko ngon va ko re...dun even bother to try...:)

jackbl
04-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Tan Dinh Church
=============================

VietNamNet Bridge – Located on Hai Ba Trung Street in Ward 8, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Tan Dinh Church is one of the most ancient and beautiful religious buildings in the city. Its construction took six years (1870 - 1876).

The distinctive feature of Tan Dinh Church is the Gothic and Roman architectural style./ A mass in the Church.

The Church bears the Gothic, Roman and Baroc architectural style. In 1929, the area of the Church was expanded and a 52.60m-high tower was added.

In December 1976 it was upgraded to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the church’s construction. The holly temple was heightened and the bell tower was repainted. With its distinctive pink colour and white decorative designs, the Church stands out against the blue sky.

Looking at the front of the church, a main tower and two other small structures are seen. On the peak of the tower is an octagon with a bronze cross standing 3m-high. In the main tower, there are five large bells weighting about 5.5 tonnes.

The designs and decorations inside in the church.

In the two other structures are lamp towers with many air holes and patterns that create a sense of firmness yet gracefulness.

Two sides are galleries with the dome topped with fish scale-shaped tiles and arches adorned with decorative leaves, flowers and sophisticated refined statues of angels.

The chancel in the Church is rather large with two rows of Gothic styled pillars that lead to the main altar. With its front, the two rows of pillars are evaluated to be most beautiful and unique feature of the architectural work.

On the left are statues of female saints and on the right are statues of male saints. All the altars in the chancel are made from precious marble imported from Italy.

Tan Dinh Church is not only a valuable architectural work that is on the list of historical, cultural and tourist addresses in the City, but also the worshipping place of parishioners and the place where many charity activities are held.

The distinctive feature of Tan Dinh Church is the Gothic and Roman architectural style.

VietNamNet/VNP

jackbl
04-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Many airlines cut flights to Vietnam
=======================================

VietNamNet Bridge – Financial difficulties and the global economic recession have forced international airlines and Vietnam Airlines to reduce service from and to Vietnam.

International airlines have cut down their summer flight schedule schedule to Vietnam in response to decreasing demand for air travel, a consequence of the global economic recession, says to the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV).

Vo Huy Cuong, Head of CAAV’s Air Transport Division, on April 28 told the press that preliminary statistics show a year over year decrease in international flights to and from Vietnam of four percent from the end of March to October.

According to Cuong, airlines which have reduced service to Vietnam include Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Thai Air Asia.

Cuong said that Thai Air Asia has reduced the daily flight frequency on its Hanoi–Bangkok route from three flights a day to two. However, Air Asia has added four flights a week to its HCM City–Bangkok service.

Summarizing, Cuong said that growth of Vietnam’s aviation market will slow down because the global economic recession has reduced dramatically the demand for travel by air.

Not only foreign airlines have cut flights to Vietnam, said Cuong. Vietnam Airlines has also cut down international flights. For example, the national flag carrier has cut two flights to Busan, South Korea.

In its business report for the first quarter of 2009, Vietnam Airlines wrote that it is suffering impacts of the global economic recession. The air carrier said that the biggest difficulty is that passenger and cargo transport market has shrunk overall by 1.7% compared to the same period of 2008, and the international market is down by 9.3%.

In the first quarter of 2009, Vietnam Airlines carried 2.26mil passengers, a decrease of 5% over the same period of the last year. These include 866,970 international passengers, nine percent less than a year ago.

There is also positive news for Vietnam’s aviation market, however. Shanghai Airlines will begin thrice-weekly service between Hanoi and Shanghai this summer. From June 1, Northwest Airlines will fly daily from HCM City to destinations in the US via Tokyo, becoming the second US air carrier to serve Vietnam.

EL Al, the Israeli flag carrier, will appoint a general agent in Vietnam in early May. It expects this will help push the sale of air tickets for its flights from Bangkok, Hong Kong and Beijing to Tel Aviv and beyond.

VietNamNet/VnMedia

VietnamLover
04-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Dung roi, thuc an Vietnam o Singapore ko ngon lam va cung mac. An o Vietnam la tot hon. Toi rat thich an com tam.

jackbl
04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
No choice la, frequently the food sold at oversea is more expensive than in the original place.

Dung roi, thuc an Vietnam o Singapore ko ngon lam va cung mac. An o Vietnam la tot hon. Toi rat thich an com tam.

nettyworms
05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
viet FTW!!

jackbl
05-05-2009, 02:58 AM
What do u meant?
viet FTW!!

Honey Boon
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
FTW or WTF? :D

viet FTW!!

RockViet
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM
History flashback "Bắt đầu từ nay" - long long ago, I used to watch TVB or HK movies and in movie HK ppl will refer to nguoi vn as "Bắt đầu từ nay". I wonder wat this phrase mean and y they use on them. When 1st start to know tieng viet this HK slang "Bắt đầu từ nay" was just loosely mean "From now on/ start from here"

Just found out the origin of "Bắt đầu từ nay" from wikipediia.....after the fall of saigon, Vn ppl try to run away from the communist rules by boat...they r the boat ppl...there's a large influx of vn boat ppl to HK as they assume the status of refugees and chance for opportunity to locate in the refugee camp in HK and wait for their turn to go to country like US/UK/AZ..etc..but....After the "cut-off day" on June 16, 1988, those who fled to Hong Kong would no longer automatically be considered as refugee..

The HK goverment thus broadcast the change of policy on Vietnamese radio PSA on Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) in Hong Kong as frequent as once every hour in vietnamese

Bắt đầu từ nay, một chính sách mới về thuyền nhân Việt Nam đă được chấp hành tại Hồng Kông. Từ nay về sau, những thuyền nhân Việt Nam kiếm cách nhập cảnh Hồng Kông với thân phận những người di tản v́ vấn đề kinh tế sẽ bị coi là những người nhập cảnh phi pháp. Là những người nhập cảnh phi pháp, họ sẽ không có chút khả năng nào để được đi định cư tại nước thứ ba, và họ sẽ bị giam cầm để chờ ngày giải về Việt Nam.

Translation...
From now on, a new policy regarding Vietnamese boat people has been implemented in Hong Kong. From now on, those boat people from Vietnam seeking to immigrate into Hong Kong as immigrants due to economic reasons will be considered illegal immigrants. As illegal immigrants, they will not have the ability to settle in a third country, and they will be detained until repatriated to Vietnam...

You can hear the broadcast at $»´ä¹q¥x75©P¦~ - ¸g¨å$«·ÅÀW¹D (http://www.rthk.org.hk/classicschannel/audio/80s_0030.asx)

The Vietnamese-language announcement, which has just been broadcast, elucidated the policy of 'Comprehensive Plan of Action' that the Hong Kong Government implements on the Vietnamese boat people who intend to enter Hong Kong.

Its so frequently heard in the radio that many Hong Kong people learned this Vietnamese phrase...and started to use this phrase "Bắt đầu từ nay" to represent Vietnamese people.This phrase is usually considered as derogatory, or even racist.

Jonas21
05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
can any bro help to translate the below msg?

"ban co biet ban lam toi that vong lam ko toi rat can su giup do cua ban"

Tks.

Jonas21
05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Can any kind bro here help me to translate the below sentence?

jackbl
05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for sharing this interesting article :)

History flashback "Bắt đầu từ nay"

RockViet
05-05-2009, 11:50 PM
can any bro help to translate the below msg?

Tks.

i think is 2 sentences rite?" let me try

ban co biet ban lam toi that vong lam ko ?
- Do u know u make me very disappointed?
toi rat can su giup do cua ban"
- I would very much like to help in your need/your things

jackbl
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Why you so impatient? Post the same thing twice? Slowly wait for the people here to translate for u ma......

Do you know that you make me very disappointed? I really need your help.

Can any kind bro here help me to translate the below sentence?

RockViet
06-05-2009, 12:21 AM
i think is 2 sentences rite?" let me try

ban co biet ban lam toi that vong lam ko ?
- Do u know u make me very disappointed?
toi rat can su giup do cua ban"
- I would very much like to help in your need/your things

I wrong translate the 2nd sentence... :p
its should be
toi (I)
rat can (very in need)
su giup do (help)
cua ban" (of u)

Bro jackbl is correct on the second sentence..

jackbl
06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Students learn English while working

Some students go to foreign language training centers when they need their language skills improved. Others find jobs in backpacker districts, which not only help their speaking improved but help them financially.
“My speaking skills have improved a lot since I began working at backpacker district and I have been able to make a living without my parents’ support,” Dau Anh Thu, a souvenir shop assistant in Hue said.

Tran Thi Mai Huong said that she tried to improve her English through several books and documents but failed to make any progress. Her speaking has become more fluent after just one month working at Ngoc Anh restaurant.

Even some students who knew no English are able to talk to foreigners confidently after working here for sometime.

“It was hard for me to find a job in backpacker district because I didn’t know a single foreign word. Finally, a restaurant recruited me as a waitress,” Hoang Thi Tuyet recounted.

“My English restaurant vocabulary is great now and I feel more confident as I have to talk to foreigners everyday,” she said happily.

“The students’ eagerness in studying foreign languages has persuaded me to recruit even people speak no English” said Thu, Ngoc Anh restaurant’s owner, adding that they have made an obvious improvement through their jobs.

“I‘ve learnt a lot from real circumstances,” said Ngoc Anh, a junior of Hue Foreign Languages University’s Faculty of Chinese and Japanese.

“What I was taught at school sometimes is not really attached to reality. For example, I didn’t know tomato sauce is ketchup until a customer told me,” she added.

She also revealed that she recorded every conversation with customers and listened to them again to practice speaking.

“I’ve made an incredible advance in communicating with foreigners,” she proudly said.

By Tan Ky – Translated by Nghinh Xuan

KangTuo
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Students learn English while working

Cheongster learn Vietnamese while clubbing

Some cheongsters go to foreign language training centers when they need their language skills improved. Others goes to pub and ktv in GL and JC, which not only help their speaking improved but help them to get to know girls.
“My speaking skills have improved a lot since I began clubbing at JC and I have been able to bonk a number of viet gals without going to match making company,” SBF carrot007, a regular face in Jazzy/Mask 51 said.

SBF jackbl said that he tried to improve his Vietnamese language through several books, documents and website (v.dict) but failed to make any progress. His speaking has become more fluent after just one month of going KTV to sing Viet songs at GL area.

Even some cheongsters who knew no Vietnamese language are able to talk to Viet gals confidently after cheonging at the viet scene for sometime.

“It was hard for me to find a viet gal in JC/GL because I didn’t know a single Vietnamese word. Finally, a SBF group (LDG) recruited me as a one of their regular cheongster,” SBF Vlover recounted.

“My Vietnamese language vocabulary is great now and I feel more confident as I have to talk to viet gals often when they visit my shop in JC,” he said happily.

“The cheongsters’ eagerness in studying foreign languages has persuaded me to recruit even people speak no Vietnamese language” said SBF V,killer, LDG chairman, adding that they have made an obvious improvement through their courting skills.

“I‘ve learnt a lot from real circumstances,” said SBF Thom didi, a junior of LDG.

“What I was taught at school sometimes is not really attached to reality. For example, I didn’t know 'chim' is 'chee bye' until a viet gal told me,” he added.

He also revealed that he recorded every conversation with the viet gals and listened to them again to practice speaking.

“I’ve made an incredible advance in communicating with the viet gals,” he proudly said.

Reported by SBF KangTuo

jackbl
06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I laughed and fell off my chair after reading this :D :D :D

Why there is no comment from the King of KC, kangtuo...? I heard from him saying that he is able to "plant more trees in his backyard after he learnt the way of planting vietnamese bonsai...."

Reported by SBF KangTuo

leecs
06-05-2009, 01:51 PM
WTF!!!!! wahahahaha!

Hurricane88
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Reported by SBF KangTuo

Great stuff...keep it up...:)

audisingapore
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Bros,

I like to learn vietnamese but not at KTV, etc..
Any recommendation?

Reason : I get to know a "decent" girl in Vietnam, thought of impressing
her and also easily for us to get to know each other better.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Carrot007
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Reported by SBF KangTuo

Hello comrade, you really too free... tonight usual place... come come...

TwaLiap
06-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, great stuff !!

jackbl
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
U have to search thru the internet for language school teaching vietnamese lor... Each month from S$200-$500 also have......

Hi Bros,

I like to learn vietnamese but not at KTV, etc..
Any recommendation?

jackbl
07-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Misses World to return to Vietnam with entourage
=============================================
Tuoi Tre
Miss World 2008 Ksenia Sukhinova and Miss World 2007 Zhang Zilin will spend two weeks in Vietnam on a charity missionTUOI TRE

Miss World 2008 Ksenia Sukhinova and Miss World 2007 Zhang Zilin will return to Vietnam in June with an entourage of hundreds of doctors.

Sukhinova and Zilin will travel to more than 10 cities and provinces in Vietnam from May 27 to June 8 to provide financial aid to disadvantaged families and ethnic minority students.

About 200 doctors from China and the U.S. will accompany the two misses and provide free treatment to poor patients.

The Miss World tour of Vietnam includes two concerts featuring local pop stars Lam Truong, Quang Linh, Ho Quynh Huong and Ho Ngoc Ha.

The first concert will be held in the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho City on June 2 and the second in Nha Trang on June 7. The charity events will raise money for poor students and patients in Vietnam.

Shanghai RAAS Blood Products Co, the organizer of the Miss World Pageant 2010, has allocated VND8.8 billion (US$494,800) to the charity tour by Sukhinova and Zilin. Next year’s Miss World contest is to be held in the central seaside resort city of Nha Trang, which also hosted the 2008 Miss Universe competition.

Vietnam’s Ministry of Health, the World Bank and the local governments of 13 Mekong Delta cities and provinces are helping organize the charity tour.

In January, Sukhinova and Zilin visited Vietnam for charity activities and to welcome the Lunar New Year with locals in Ho Chi Minh City.

KangTuo
07-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Why there is no comment from the King of KC, kangtuo...? ......"

That part kana censored off :D

If only there are reports that I can modify, i will keep it up
abit bo liao yesterday

Hello comrade, you really too free... tonight usual place... come come...

yah lor.. too free as I got no gals to keep me occupied
missed yesterday kopi session... too tired and lazy to go out.
had a yahoo session with someone :D

jackbl
07-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Vietnam’s largest embossment inaugurated
===========================================

VietNamNet Bridge – A huge relief work featuring the historical Dien Bien Phu Victory was inaugurated on May 5 in Dien Bien city.

The work is 58m in length, 6.5m in width, and 0.3m thick, totalling 377sq.m. It is made of 100 cu.m of blue stone from the central province of Thanh Hoa. The embossment is placed at the foot of the Victory statue on D1 Hill, in the Dien Bien Phu historical relic.

The relief work has the meeting of the Politburo when leaders decided to conduct the Winter Spring and the Dien Bien Phu campaign, people carrying rice to serve soldiers, soldiers on the day of victory and others.

On the same day, other works of the Dien Bien Phu Victory historical site were inaugurated.

The Deputy Director of the Dien Bien Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism, Nguyen Dang Quang, said that the construction of these works began last July at a cost of VND55 billion to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Dien Bien Phu Victory on May 7, 2009.

VietNamNet/PV

jackbl
07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Party leader congratulates General Giap
===================================

Nhan Dan - Party General Secretary Nong Duc Manh on May 5 visited General Vo Nguyen Giap, a outstanding student of President Ho Chi Minh, the ‘eldest brother’ in the People’s Armed Forces, the first Commander-in-Chief of the Vietnam People’s Army and Head of the Dien Bien Phu campaign and Secretary of Party Committee of the Dien Bien Phu Front.

The visit was paid on the occasion of the 55th anniversary of the Dien Bien Phu victory over the French colonialists.

On behalf of the Party, the State’s leaders and the Vietnamese people, Party leader Manh thanked General Giap for his great contributions to the Party and nation’s revolutionary cause and wished him good health and longevity so that he could continue to contribute to the Party and the country.

General Giap emphasised that the victory of the Vietnamese revolution and the anti-French resistance war and particularly the Dien Bien Phu campaign first showed the victory of patriotism and the great national unity’s strength under the talented and clear-sighted leadership of the Party and beloved Uncle Ho.

He expressed his aspiration and belief that leaders of the Party, the State and people nationwide continued to gain many more victories in the renewal cause.

raibo
07-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Can any bro tell what does "sao" means??

I don't know the actual spelling, but is pronoun as "sao".
Back then, I had a regular gal who know little eng/chinese, will say this once in a while. thanks..

deptrai4u
07-05-2009, 11:25 AM
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]

“What I was taught at school sometimes is not really attached to reality. For example, I didn’t know 'chim' is 'chee bye' until a viet gal told me,” he added.

Oh! I also didn't know "chim" is "chee bye"... all these while i thought it was "lon" and "buom"! :)

lordstriker
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh! I also didn't know "chim" is "chee bye"... all these while i thought it was "lon" and "buom"! :)

I think chim is well known as cock rather than cb. ^^

KangTuo
07-05-2009, 12:22 PM

I think chim is well known as cock rather than cb. ^^

learn from books,
lồn = vagina; cunt
dương vật = penis
chim = bird

learn from viet gals.
chim = vagina
cu = penis

;)

jackbl
07-05-2009, 01:11 PM
When u write w/o the vietnamese signage, it has many meaning

sáo | sảo | sào | sao | sạo

... the common one is :

sạo = to tell tales, to peach

Hi,

Can any bro tell what does "sao" means??

I don't know the actual spelling, but is pronoun as "sao".
Back then, I had a regular gal who know little eng/chinese, will say this once in a while. thanks..

Honey Boon
07-05-2009, 02:40 PM
one of the first few words when I first came to viet scene...

sao :D

Honey Boon
07-05-2009, 02:47 PM
need some help here ...

She has been with me for almost 2 years, when I first knew her, I called her by name ...

after a while, I addressed her by "em" and it's fine with me for some times, occassionally, she would ask me why I didn't address her "BX" like most of the men do to their gf. I told her the term "BX" has been used widely in the KTV scene that I don't feel comfortable.

recently she said she would like me to address her "cuc cung" but she refused to share with me the meaning. With my limited knowledge in this language, I don't seem to get the true meaning. Any brother can help me with this? Thanks in advance .... :)

KangTuo
07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
recently she said she would like me to address her "cuc cung" but she refused to share with me the meaning. With my limited knowledge in this language, I don't seem to get the true meaning. Any brother can help me with this? Thanks in advance .... :)

cưng = (v) to pamper, (n) used as an endearment for any beloved person

i try... must be someone very dear.

cục cưng
SWEETHEART :D

bros who came across this word before, please correct me.

RockViet
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for sharing this interesting article :)

Great bro RockViet! I learned a few more chinese words from your post. Thks ya!.

Hi jackbl and lordstriker, Khong co chi, dung khach sao bcos we have :D common interest, i.e vn.

lordstriker
08-05-2009, 12:56 AM

cục cưng

It somehow means "honey" :D but don't misunderstand it as honey bee

Honey Boon
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
haha.... too sweet for an old man like me to use ...

will leave it to the youngsters :D

cục cưng

Honey Boon
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
call honey, then need to give money liao .... :eek:

It somehow means "honey" :D but don't misunderstand it as honey bee

zhu star
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi jackbl and lordstriker, Khong co chi, dung khach sao bcos we have :D common interest, i.e vn.

Hi bro:

I have replied to your msg. Dont know if you have receviced it. Do let me know.

Cheers

jackbl
09-05-2009, 12:34 AM
No money no honey!!! :D

lordstriker
09-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi bro:

Cheers

What msg? I don't really get it

jackbl
09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Illegal books purport to tell parents how to choose baby’s gender
===============================================

VietNamNet Bridge – It is quite easy to find guide books for parents to follow prenatal gender selection methods at bookstores throughout the capital city, according to Nguyen Thi Huong, a mother of two girls living in Ha Noi.

Women in the Khanh Hoa Province receive reproductive health information. Regulations prohibiting prenatal gender selection are being implemented.

Huong, who is currently pregnant with her third child, said her second child wasn’t a boy because she did not use books that guide prenatal gender selection.

"This time my husband and I followed a book, given to me by my mother-in-law, which indicated that we needed to eat a lot of salty food and avoid drinking milk before becoming pregnant," said Huong.

A latest statistics from the Ministry of Health (MoH) showed that nearly 270,000 babies were born in the first quarter of this year. More than 27,400 of them were third children, a 1 per cent increase compared with 2008.

MoH reported that the number of third-child births could be up to nearly 60,400 by the end of June.

Southern Kien Giang and Hau Giang provinces, northern Lai Chau and Dien Bien provinces, and central Quang Ngai Province take the lead in areas with families choosing to have third child.

Doctor Dao Thu Hien from the National Obstetrics Hospital said the gender of a child depended more on the parents rather than what they eat or drink. "There is no research proving the rate of successfully choosing gender by following books."

A national ordinance prohibits gender selection behaviours, including dissemination and popularising methods through talking, writing, translating and publishing relevant books, documents, pictures and recordings.

In Ha Noi, prenatal gender selection books are sold at many bookstores on many streets including Trang Tien Street, the capital city’s book centre, and even on pavements.

Chief of HCM City’s Department of Population and Family Planning To Thi Kim Hoa said her department had recently evaluated the content of ten books sent by the municipal Department of Information and Communications. All books violated the Ordinance on Population because they provided guidance on how a couple could give birth to a boy.

"We have asked inspectors from the General Office of Population and Family Planning to find solutions for such books," said Hoa.

Head of HCM City Book Distribution Company (FAHASA)’s Business Office Pham Thi Hoa said almost 40 FAHASA bookstores were selling prenatal gender selection books. The company receives thousands of book titles everyday, making it difficult to check the content of all of them.

Therefore, when the company signs contracts with publishing houses and book suppliers, the company always ask them to take legal responsibility for the content and copyright of the books, said Hoa.

"If book content is prohibited by the Ordinance on Population, FAHASA would return the books to the publishing houses and suppliers," said Hoa.

Chief of the Ministry of Information and Communications’ Publishing Department Nguyen Kiem said his department issued documents to prohibit the publishing of books on prenatal gender selection in 2005.

Kiem said the newly-found books could have been licensed before the Ordinance on Population came into effect in 2004. The publishing houses continued to reprint books with the old licence. "This also violates regulations because the publishing licence is valid for one year."

Deputy head of HCM City Information and Communications Department’s Press and Publishing Office Nguyen Thi Minh Phuong said her office would collect books that guide prenatal gender selection and issue fines in accordance with regulations.

To prevent gender inequality, MoH has asked its municipal and provincial branches to co-ordinate with the General Office of Statistics to issue an annual report on the number of girls and boys born in their localities.

Cities and provinces are required to implement regulations on prohibiting prenatal gender selection behaviours, especially the use of ultrasound to determine the gender of the foetus in order to opt for an abortion. All illegal services related to guided births will be examined and fined.

VietNamNet/Viet Nam News

jackbl
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
For your investment plan :D :D

Southern province becomes property hot spot
=========================================

Lao Dong Newspaper
Dong Nai Province has become hot property for its proximity to the southern economic hub of Ho Chi Minh City, industrial zones and planned infrastructure upgrades.

With prices one quarter to one third lower than in HCMC, land in Dong Nai province is being snapped up, especially by low-income earners working in HCMC, just 30 kilometers away.

Analysts said a decent-sized plot of land in Dong Nai could be purchased for just VND100 million (US$5,714).

Many investors flocked to Bien Hoa City in Dong Nai Province in March and April to purchase parcels of land along Highway No 51, which leads to Vung Tau City, home to many industrial zones and offshore oil fields.

According to Nguyen Thi Thanh Huong, director of Tin Nghia Real Estate Trading Floor, the only property trading center in Bien Hoa City, a release of 500 land lots in the Thanh Phu Project in Vinh Cuu District sold out in February, with land going for VND110 million to 185 million ($6,285-$10,571) per lot.

In the first sales rush, 200 land lots were sold in 10 days. The next 300 land lots to be released were sold in just three days, she said.

Huong said prospective home-owners could buy a nice house in Dong Nai Province for only VND500 million ($28,571).

Dong Nai has long been considered an attractive investment destination for industrial zone developers. Many laborers who moved to the province are now able to afford land after many years’ of saving.

Real estate experts said land prices in Dong Nai were expected to leap in the next few years as the province’s infrastructure and transport systems are developed and the Dong Nai-HCMC highway upgraded.

The $6.6 billion international airport at Dong Nai Province’s Long Thanh District, capable of carrying up to 100 million passengers a year, is now under construction. The airport is scheduled to be operational in 2011. A series of seaports, including Phuoc Thai, Go Dau A and Go Dau B, have also been upgraded.

With the upgraded infrastructure expected to attract more investors and more residents, real estate developers are working on large-scale projects in Dong Nai, such as the Cu Lao Tan Van new urban area project, near the Dong Nai 2 Bridge.

Investors boasted that the $530 million project will be one of Vietnam’s biggest property developments.

According to real estate consultancy VietRees, in 2008 foreign direct investment (FDI) in Dong Nai Province’s real estate sector reached $3 billion, while domestic investment in the province’s property market was $1.3 billion.

lordstriker
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
For your investment plan :D :D

Southern province becomes property hot spot

Get a ton of cash ready then!

Last time my lecturer at school also once talked to me about real estate investment in Vietnam. He had interest to invest in it so he made a trip to Vietnam. He told me he was quite shocked when see ppl bringing a suitcase full of cash to buy the property over there. Btw, one of my school teacher also has a Vietnamese wife. I wonder whether he is around here :D

jackbl
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
U still in sgp? Do u have any vietnamese gals (fren, colleagues, classmates) to intro to people here? :D :)

Are u still a student here?

Get a ton of cash ready then!

lordstriker
10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
U still in sgp? Do u have any vietnamese gals (fren, colleagues, classmates) to intro to people here? :D :)

I am already graduated :D I dun know any girl except my gf haha. Faithful huh? :D

v.killers
10-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Khong co tien cung khong co cuc cung :D:D

v.killers
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Even some cheongsters who knew no Vietnamese language are able to talk to Viet gals confidently after cheonging at the viet scene for sometime.

“It was hard for me to find a viet gal in JC/GL because I didn’t know a single Vietnamese word. Finally, a SBF group (LDG) recruited me as a one of their regular cheongster,” SBF Vlover recounted.

“The cheongsters’ eagerness in studying foreign languages has persuaded me to recruit even people speak no Vietnamese language” said SBF V,killer, LDG chairman, adding that they have made an obvious improvement through their courting skills.

“I‘ve learnt a lot from real circumstances,” said SBF Thom didi, a junior of LDG.

He also revealed that he recorded every conversation with the viet gals and listened to them again to practice speaking.

“I’ve made an incredible advance in communicating with the viet gals,” he proudly said.

Reported by SBF KangTuo

Troi oi, since when this LDG Group exist??? LDG CHAIRMAN :eek::confused: NNKC..... WTF? :eek:

Bo Tay !!

jackbl
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Bro travelling there be careful!!!

Dengue fever ravishes southern Vietnam
=====================================

More than 13,000 people in southern Vietnam have contracted dengue fever already this year, and 11 of them had died as of May 3, the director of the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City said Friday.

The south, where the disease is far more prevalent, accounts for 84.4 percent of the current number of dengue fever cases nationwide, Dr. Tran Ngoc Huu told a press conference.

Dengue is no longer restricted to the rainy season and could strike at any time of the year, he said.

Unsurprisingly, it is among the top five infectious diseases with the highest numbers of cases and deaths in Vietnam.

The poor drainage in slum areas, a result of the country’s urbanization and industrialization, along with the warm climate create the ideal conditions for dengue fever to break out.

There is no commercial vaccine to protect against dengue yet, but several vaccines are at the experimental stage, Huu said.

The Pasteur Institute is working with Sanofi-Pasteur, the vaccines division of Sanofi-Aventis Group, to carry out clinical studies of Sanofi’s tetravalent dengue vaccine, which is also being trialed in Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore.

If the trials yield good results, a novel vaccine against dengue will be available in 2015 or 2016, said Wartel Nguyen N.T. Anh, SanofiPasteur’s regional medical director of clinical development.

The mosquito-borne disease, which is caused by any of four viruses, infects an estimated 230 million people annually and is a potential threat to almost half the world's population, according to Sanofi-Aventis.

Reported by Van Khoa

Hurricane88
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM

I thought you have dozens of gals liao...why need anyone to intro...:confused::)

jackbl
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Lidat also can???

People wan to do what they like also cannot?

City bans prep classes for first-grade intensive English test
===============================================
First-graders at Nguyen Binh Khiem Primary School, one of many schools running intensive English classes for the first grade in Ho Chi Minh City
Foreign language schools in Ho Chi Minh City cannot run preparatory classes for the exam to get into first-grade intensive English at elementary school, the education department has announced.

The city’s foreign language centers were informed of the ban on Friday after a spate of media articles about the proliferation of unauthorized preparatory classes for preschoolers and how many parents are convinced of their necessity.

Furthermore, any language center which has already accepted payment for a prep class must inform the department immediately and await further instructions.

Those centers which keep running the classes from Sunday will be fined.

Elementary schools in HCMC have had intensive English classes for first-graders for years. When the next school year starts, an estimated 156 schools will offer the subject, according to the department.

The general consensus in official circles is that children don’t need a special class to prepare for the exam as it only tests for aptitude, but that hasn’t stopped parents from enrolling their preschool kids in droves.

Reported by Phi Loan

jackbl
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Baby makers busier than ever

Vietnam’s population grew by 0.1 percent in the first quarter, according to figures released Monday.

Positive population growth was recorded in 27 provinces, the Ministry of Health informed an online conference held to review the efforts to curb population growth.

The proportion of third children among the 268,000 babies born in the three months was up 1 percent from a year before.

The low rate of contraceptive use was given as one reason for the higher numbers.

Another was the insufficient number of health workers and the low pay they receive.

It’s estimated that the population of Vietnam is growing by one million a year, with a gender ratio of 112 boys to 100 girls.

Reported by Thanh Tung

jackbl
13-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Catching up with Technology

IT school opens main campus
===============================

The Saigon Institute of Information Technology (SaigonTech) inaugurated its main campus in Ho Chi Minh City on May 6.

The campus also serves as the Vietnam branch of the Houston Community College in the US.

VIPs at the opening ceremony included Vietnamese President Nguyen Minh Triet, HCM City Party chief Le Thanh Hai, and US Ambassador to Vietnam Michael Michalak.

Located in the Quang Trung Software Park in District 12, the 14-story building has 89 classrooms, 26 labs, and a helipad on its roof, and cost US$20 million to build.

Given with the main campus operational, SaigonTech now can train about 5,000 students in IT, business administration, computer science, and accounting at a time.

It plans to build a dormitory in June to accommodate around 1,000 students.

Speaking at the inauguration, President Triet said he hoped SaigonTech students would be equipped with the knowledge and skills required by businesses and the society.

City Party chief Hai said: “SaigonTech is a model of training partnership between a private school and Houston Community College.”

The school should develop the partnership efficiently and ensure the quality of curriculum and teaching to train students well, he added.

By T. Hong – Translated by Vinh Tho

lordstriker
13-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Lidat also can???

People wan to do what they like also cannot?

City bans prep classes for first-grade intensive English test

bro don't u know that Vietnam gov will ban anything if they cannot control it? Like KTV, recently they banned all dancing activities in KTV, only sit down and sing allowed, no dancing ok :D

jackbl
13-05-2009, 09:29 AM
出生男婴太多 越警告性别比例失调

(2009-05-13)

(河内法新电)越南当局昨天向国人发出警告,因为出生的男婴太多,可能造成未来人口的性别比例失调,还提出 越南应该吸取其亚洲邻国的教训。
吁吸取中日韩教训

据越南通讯社报道,副总理阮善仁在官方网上研讨会上说,越南目前男女婴儿出生比例是112比100,如 果这种状况继续下去,到2030年,可能会有300万越南男子讨不到老婆。

他还说,越南应该吸取中国、日本和韩国性别失衡的严重教训,并呼吁通过大众传媒引起人们对这个问题的重 视。

他说:“必须大量报道这类消息和传达关于这个问题的信息。”

胡志明市人民委员会副主席阮氏秋霞说,当地每出生113名男婴,相应出生的女婴只有100 个。

她还说,许多书籍、报纸和互联网都提供婴儿出生以前选择性别的信息,这违反了政府把胎儿性别差异最小化 的政策。

越南通讯社还援引卫生部副部长阮伯瑞的话说,因为有三个子女的家庭越来越多,所以性别不平衡的问题,也 变得越来越明显。

报道还说,造成越南人口性别比例失衡的原因包括,推行只准生两个孩子的政策、想要儿子、以及容易进行超 声波扫描(探知婴儿性别)和人工流产等。

baby makers busier than ever

Oceanlee
14-05-2009, 07:09 PM
UPz this thread ... and clock 1 more post. :D

Sometime eat too much "Tiong Kok Cai" also must take some spicy foods.:p

Sao Nui Nui .... or :confused:

Cheers
A Novice for Viet

jackbl
15-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I dont think vietnamese food is spicy but it is more towards salty... i still cant get used to their food :(

Sometime eat too much "Tiong Kok Cai" also must take some spicy foods.:p

Cheers
A Novice for Viet

jackbl
15-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Heard from someone commenting that this thread does not serve its purpose of "teaching"/learning vietnamese language... I dun know where to start from. Maybe from some sentence I came about Can Tho city:

Cần Thơ gạo trắng nước trong,
Ai đi đến đó ḷng không muốn về.

Cần Thơ with white rice and clear water,
All who comes would never wish to leave

jackbl
16-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Lesson 1 "In My Room"
================================

Đây là pḥng của tôi (This is my room).

Trong pḥng có nhiều đồ đạc (In this room, there are a lot of things).

Đây là bàn và ghế (These are tables and chairs).

Trên bàn có một cái máy vi tính, một vài đĩa CD, một vài quyển sách, một cuốn từ điển Anh - Việt và rất nhiều bút (On the table there are a computer, some CDs, some books, a dictionary and a lot of pens).

Đây là giường của tôi (This is my bed).

Trên giường có gối, chăn và một cái điều khiển ti vi (On the bed, there are pillows, blankets, and a TV remote control).

Kia là tủ quần áo của tôi (That is my wardrobe).

Tôi có nhiều quần jean và áo thun (I have a lot of jeans and pullovers). Tôi không có nhiều áo sơ mi (I don't have many shirts).

Dưới tủ là giày và dép (Under the wardrobe there are shoes and slippers).

Đây là điện thoại di động của tôi (This is my mobile phone).

Điện thoại này rất mới và đẹp (This mobile phone is new and beautiful). Kia là ḷ sưởi điện (Over there is electronic heater).

Trên tường pḥng tôi có một cái máy lạnh và cái quạt máy và một tấm gương (On the wall of my room, there are a air-conditioner, an electronic fan and a mirror).

Pḥng tôi có một cái ti vi nhỏ và một đầu đĩa DVD (I have a small TV and a DVD player).

Đây là cái tủ lạnh của tôi (This is my refrigator).

Trong tủ lạnh có nhiều trái cây, nước ngọt và bia (In the refrigator, there are a lot of fruits, soft drinks and beers).

Trên tủ lạnh có nhiều ly cốc (On the top of the refrigator, there are many cups and glasses).

Pḥng của tôi nhỏ, nhưng tôi rất thích nó (My room is small, but I like it).

jackbl
16-05-2009, 11:11 AM
More women give birth to third child
=====================================

The number of women in Vietnam delivering a third child continues to rise, reaching 27,453 in the first quarter, a year-on-year increase of 1 percent.

Dr Vu Te Dang with newborns at Tu Du Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. The number of women having a third child continues to rise in Vietnam, worrying policymakers.
The number is expected to rise to 60,368 in the first half, also 1 percent higher than a year earlier.

At an online conference on May 11 between Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan, and top officials from the Ministry of Health, General Office for Population Family Planning (GOPFP) and all 63 provinces and cities, Deputy Minister of Health and GOPFP head Nguyen Ba Thuy, said the increasing third-child rate is worrying since the 2008 rate was already the highest in recent years.

The rate might rise sharply this year, he feared.

Mr. Thuy also warned of a critical gender imbalance, saying the sex ratio was 112 last year and is likely to rise further.

Participants also discussed population management in provinces and cities, which they admitted remains poor.

Deputy PM Nhan instructed provincial and municipal people’s committees to improve dissemination of information to heighten public awareness of population and birth control.

He told them to provide districts with computers to serve population and birth-control activities.

Mr. Nhan asked the health, internal affairs, and finance sectors to work together on drafting regulations for population workers and review the budget allocated for population programs.

A project to monitor the population in 28 coastal provinces has to be reviewed and instructions for implementing it issued, he said.

Population officials have to be trained further, he added.

He called on the Ministry of Health to develop a strategic program for population and reproductive health for the 2011-20 period.

By Trung Kien – Translated by Hoang Yen

jackbl
16-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Lesson 2 "Go to School"

Anh Nam là sinh viên (Nam is a student).

Anh ấy học tiếng Hàn ở trường Đại học Ngoại ngữ Hà Nội (He studies Korean language at the Hanoi University of Foreign Languages).

Sáng nay, anh Nam thức dậy lúc 6 giờ (This morning, Nam waked up at 6 a.m).

Anh ấy ăn sáng lúc 6 giờ 30 phút (He had breakfast at 6:30).

Anh ấy đến trường lúc 7 giờ (At 7, he arrived school).

Buổi sáng, anh Nam học Hội thoại tiếng Hàn (In the morning, Nam studied Korean conversation).

Anh ấy học với một giáo sư người Hàn từ 7 giờ đến 10 giờ (He studies with a Korean professor from 7:00 to 10:00).

Lúc 10 giờ rưỡi, anh Nam đi gặp bạn (At 10 and a half, Nam went to see his friend).

Bạn anh ấy cũng là sinh viên ở trường đại học (His friend is also a student at the university).

Buổi trưa, anh ấy và bạn ăn trưa ở căn tin trong trường Đại học (At noon, his friend and him had their lunch at the university's canteen).

Buổi chiều, anh Nam học từ 1 giờ rưỡi đến 4 giờ (In the afternoon, Nam studied from 1:30 to 4:00).

Sau đó, anh Nam đi uống cà phê với bạn. (After that, Nam went to drink coffee with his friends).

Buổi tối anh Nam học tiếng Anh ở một trung tâm ngoại ngữ (In the evening, Nam studied English at a foreign language center).

jackbl
17-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Lesson 3 "Go Vietnam"

Anh Lee đă đi Việt Nam hai lần, một lần để du lịch, một lần để học tiếng Việt (Mr. Lee went to Vietnam for two times: the first time for traveling, the second one for studying Vietnamese).

Anh Lee đi Việt Nam lần đầu tiên vào năm 2003 (In 2003, he had gone to Vietnam for the first time).

Anh ấy đă đi du lịch ở các thành phố lớn của Việt Nam: Hà Nội, TP. Hồ Chí Minh, Nha Trang, Đà Lạt (He traveled in the big cities of Vietnam: Hanoi, HoChiMinh City, Nha Trang, Da Lat).

Anh Lee đi Việt Nam lần thứ hai cách đây 6 tháng (Mr. Lee went to Vietnam for the second time 6 months ago).

Lần này, anh Lee đă đi TP. Hồ Chí Minh để học tiếng Việt (For this time, Lee went to HoChiMinh City to learn Vietnamese).

Ở đó, anh Lee đă gặp nhiều giáo viên và sinh viên Việt Nam (There, Lee had met many Vietnamese teachers and students).

Anh Lee thích nói tiếng Việt với sinh viên Việt Nam (Mr. Lee likes to speak Vietnamese with Vietnamese students). Ở TP Hồ Chí Minh có nhiều người Hàn Quốc (In HCMC, there are many Koreans).

Họ làm việc ở công ty Hàn Quốc (They work in Korean companies). Ở trường đại học, anh Lee cũng gặp nhiều sinh viên Hàn Quốc (At the university, Lee also meets Korean students).

Anh Lee rất thích TP. Hồ Chí Minh và rất thích tiếng Việt (Mr. Lee likes HCMC and Vietnamese language so much).

Anh Lee có nhiều bạn Việt Nam (He has many Vietnamese friends).

Họ không biết tiếng Hàn, v́ vậy, anh Lee nói tiếng Việt với họ (They don't speak Korean language, so Lee speaks in Vietnamese with them).

Bây giờ, anh Lee đă trở về Hàn Quốc, nhưng anh Lee muốn năm sau trở lại Việt Nam (Now, Lee has gone back to South Korea, but Lee wants to come back to Vietnam next year).

jackbl
18-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi people, i need feedback whether these lesson is useful. As you can see that, these lessones do not teach you pronunciation. Therefore u need to go on course or get a "teacher".

As these lessones are listed out in sentences, you need to go into VDICT to find out what each word means.

Lesson 3 "Go Vietnam"

jackbl
18-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Southeast asia citizens are not consider international tourists.... so they dun need apply visa

Oversea tourists exempt from visa fees

International visitors traveling to Vietnam under the “Impressive Vietnam” promotion program will be exempt from visa fees.

Passport holders from every country in the world who book a tour which is included in the program from May 15 to September 30 will be eligible for the fee exemption, according to a document issued by the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism on May 14.

Tourists can now be issued visas at border gates or at Vietnam’s representative agencies overseas and will receive a free-of-charge stamp, said the document.

Those who arrive after September 30 or who want to stay in Vietnam, longer than their visa allows, will not be eligible for the fee exemption.

Information related to these tours is available at Impressive Vietnam! (http://www.impressivevietnam.vn).

Source: VNA

RockViet
18-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi bro:

Cheers

Hi Bro Zhustar. I had reply u liao:D

jackbl
19-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Chinese dim sum with a Vietnamese twist
=============================================
Mon Ngon Viet Nam
Ha cao, a thin skin containing various stuffings, has won the hearts of millions of Vietnamese, especially students Photo Courtesy of Mon Ngon Viet Nam Magazine

Vietnam has borrowed the famous Chinese dim sum cuisine and turned it into a cheap and cheerful roadside snack.

Dim sum, which literally means “touch the heart”, refers to a wide variety of Chinese dishes, usually snack-sized dumplings stuffed with meat, seafood and herbs or desserts in thin wheat flour skins.

The cuisine was first served as breakfast at tea houses in Guangzhou Province in China.

Originally consisting of only few dishes, dim sum has grown in both variety and popularity.

As well as ground meat, seafood, mushroom and herbs, other more unconventional stuffings, such as caviar and jam, are now added to dim sum to give it a more international taste. Some restaurants in China offer more than 100 different types of dim sum every day.

At Chinese dim sum restaurants, the dishes are usually served in small portions in miniature steamer baskets or on small plates. The items can be ordered from a menu or from trolleys wheeled around by servers.

But in Vietnam, most people are unaware the small fried dumplings and stuffed buns they order from roadside vendors are dim sum.

The buns and dumplings are known by Vietnamese names, such as ha cao and sui cao. The Vietnamese versions of dim sum are mostly inexpensive treats for students and young couples. Vietnamese aficionados usually go to family restaurants or roadside stalls for dim sum.

Most well-known dim sum in Vietnam are ha cao, a thin wheat pastry stuffed with either meat or seafood, and sui cao, with similar stuffings but a different type of pastry, often eaten in noodle soup.

In Ho Chi Minh City, people love the simple Chinese-origin snacks that are available at luxury restaurants and street stalls.

A small area in HCMC’s District 3, bounded by Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Cao Thang, Dien Bien Phu and Nguyen Thien Thuat streets, is the go-to area for ha cao.

The inexpensive ha cao sold on the streets don’t have as thin a pastry as those served at high-end restaurants. Instead, the skin is soft and chewy and delicious enough for people to come back for more.

A plate of ha cao usually consists of five to six bite-sized pieces garnished with herbs and fried slices of onion. A small bowl of sauce, usually the cook’s own secret recipe, adds a little sweet, sour and spiciness to the dish.

Ha cao can be served fried or steamed, according to the customers’ tastes.

Sui cao, a loosely-wrapped wonton that contains a whole shrimp in the stuffing, is mostly found at Chinese noodle soup restaurants and noodle stalls.

Chinese noodle stalls are distinctive with their black trolleys decorated with colored glass. Most stalls sell both sui cao and the more traditional Chinese won ton, which are both made from the same kind of wrapper.

Sui cao is said to taste best in extremely hot soup. It can be eaten with clear soup, with noodle soup or with noodle soup and various cuts of meat and seafood.

The fried version of sui cao can be served with noodle soup or a special type of sweet and sour sauce.

The noodle soup restaurants along Ha Ton Quyen Street in HCMC’s China Town in District 5, known as the home of top-grade sui cao, are always crowded with food lovers.

A wide variety of Vietnamese-styled Chinese dishes are served every day in restaurants and homes in Vietnam. Dim sum, in the form of ha cao or sui cao, remains a simple treat that has won a place in the hearts of millions of Vietnamese people.

Thom07
19-05-2009, 10:58 PM

This was supposed to be my secret weapon. :( Now it is no more.

Thom07
19-05-2009, 11:02 PM

Reported by SBF KangTuo

Troi oi, since when this LDG Group exist??? LDG CHAIRMAN

And you still highlighted it in red? Scared other people dont know ha? :D

KangTuo
20-05-2009, 12:51 AM
This was supposed to be my secret weapon. :( Now it is no more.

you close door learning for so long, so you attained nirvana?

troi oi, did I ever highligt it? you highlight and shoot me arrow.

jackbl
20-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Hope sgp wont be the same .....

More HCMC babies abandoned at birth

A nurse at the Tu Du Obstetrics Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday takes care of a girl (L) with limb defects abandoned by her mother the same day and a boy with Osteogenesis Imperfecta abandoned on April 24, 2009
The southern hub lacks the facilities needed to cope with a rising tide of unwanted newborns.

Ho Chi Minh City health centers are swamped with new orphans left behind by fleeing parents.

Ngo Minh Xuan, head of Tu Du Obstetrics Hospital’s Pediatrics and Newborn Department, said 40 babies had been abandoned at the hospital in the first three months of the year.

He said the number was troubling as only 120 babies were left behind in all of last year.

Pham Thi Loan, who has worked as a midwife at Tu Du in District 1 for more than 25 years, said teenage mothers – usually around 13-14 years old – often leave their children behind after giving birth.

“Many teen mothers disappear a couple of hours after giving birth without even seeing their babies,” Loan said. “Some parents leave their babies in front of the hospital as they leave.”

Xuan said the reasons for abandonment were numerous: some parents feel they’re too poor to raise children, others don’t want sick or deformed babies, and some single mothers fear social stigma.

He said one recent mother had left behind one of two twins because it had hepatitis B and respiratory problems.

Another mother left behind a baby with hydrocephalus four months ago. The woman had said she would return for the child but hasn’t been heard from since.

Some 20 kids have been abandoned at Hung Vuong Hospital in District 5 this year, while the Obstetrics Department at University Medical Center in Tan Binh District saw 30 abandoned children last year compared to 20 a year earlier.

Department head Dr. Nguyen Thi Thanh Ha said the center recently admitted a 26-year-old woman who came to the hospital without money while she was in labor.

“We took care of her and the baby for free. But two days later, the mother left without a word,” she said.

Lien, a nurse at a clinic in District 7, said two workers from nearby industrial zones had recently abandoned their newborns at the clinic. Industrial zone laborers are often migrant workers.

Xuan said that all the health centers can do is care for the orphans until they weigh over 2.5 kilograms before turning them over to the city’s Department of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs.

The department then sends the babies to one of four local orphanages, he said.

But he said local hospitals don’t have enough beds, incubators and staff to care for so many babies before they are turned over to the orphanages.

He said each nurse cares for 10 infants and that his department’s 160 beds are currently home to 327 babies, including 30 that have been abandoned.

Loan from Tu Du said health centers only receive between VND185,000- 210,000 (US$10.40-11.81) per month for each baby in their care, while cases in need of special treatment and surgery can cost the hospital millions of dong each per month.

Source: Tien Phong

vigo69
20-05-2009, 10:07 AM
just open a seafood restaurant in HCMC, hope all bro around there will support.:D
will be in HCMC once every month, next trip 29/5-08/6/2009
catch me there if anyone happen to be around at tat time

jackbl
20-05-2009, 10:13 AM
越南考虑禁止在卡拉OK酒廊跳舞

(2009-05-20)

(胡志明市法新电)越南政府考虑禁止在卡拉OK酒廊跳舞,以限制毒品的使用,不过,业者指出,这个计划根本 行不通。
  越南文化、体育及旅游部上个月在其网站上提出禁止跳舞的计划,并邀请民众发表看法。

该部司法部门主管黎英选早在5年前就警告,卡拉OK酒廊同卖淫活动有关联。越南新闻网上月引述他的话说 ,如果不禁止跳舞的话,人们将在卡拉OK的房间内服食爱它死(ecstasy)药物。

黎英选说:“爱它死往往同酒精和音乐有关。在我看来,卡拉OK是一种潜伏着社会弊端的文化活动。”他告 诉该新闻网,政府拥有人们在卡拉OK酒廊服食爱它死的数据,但该报道没有提供任何数字。

胡志明市一家卡拉OK酒廊的员工指出,并非所有卡拉OK顾客会服食爱它死。一名业者说,他们的常客是公 务员、学生和工人:“我们的是‘家庭卡拉OK’,不是所谓拥有‘社会弊端’的卡拉OK。”

一名顾客则说:“禁止我们在卡拉OK跳舞是不对的,也许他们应该对那些有妓女的舞廊实施禁令。如果他们 只是对卡拉OK实施一般的跳舞禁令,这是不合理的。”

卡拉OK是在上世纪90年代初被引入越南,当地政府在2006年禁止卡拉OK酒廊售卖酒精,不过,实际 上,人们依然在卡拉OK酒廊内喝酒。

v.killers
23-05-2009, 06:47 PM

NNkc....come out of the mountain start to chak ppl liao hor:rolleyes: Small boy better learn more things...dung nhieu chuyen nhe :D

v.killers
23-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi people, i need feedback whether these lesson is useful. As you can see that, these lessones do not teach you pronunciation. Therefore u need to go on course or get a "teacher".

As these lessones are listed out in sentences, you need to go into VDICT to find out what each word means.

It's useful when someone really want to learn Vietnamese :D if not is a complete waste of posting ;)

chanyboy
23-05-2009, 07:01 PM
one of the first few words when I first came to viet scene...

sao :D

learn from books,
lồn = vagina; cunt
dương vật = penis
chim = bird

learn from viet gals.
chim = vagina
cu = penis

;)

ah...ok..learn a few words now. Better start...(than never..):p

Now when I heard the verbal "lam gi.." I understand liao..last time I tot it was referring to "me here.." becos it always appear at the first few statements uttered over the h/p.. so I learned now...

KangTuo
24-05-2009, 03:47 AM
ah...ok..learn a few words now. Better start...(than never..):p

Now when I heard the verbal "lam gi.." I understand liao..last time I tot it was referring to "me here.." becos it always appear at the first few statements uttered over the h/p.. so I learned now...

good words you don't learn
now you learn this type very fast :D

Rejuvenation
24-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi bros... u guys know where to go for cheap and nice seafood, sharkfins, lobsters, etc in HCM? and also other nice and cheap food that u guys have tried b4 over there can intro???

Bro Vigo69 wats the name of ur restaurant and the address? wats the price like?

Botarbolampar
24-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow interesting thread.........keep to ball rolling man

jackbl
25-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Lam gi = do what

over the h/p u may hear, "Anh dang lam gi" = "What are u doing now"

Thom07
25-05-2009, 08:31 PM
you close door learning for so long, so you attained nirvana?

Sadly no.

troi oi, did I ever highligt it? you highlight and shoot me arrow.

No no. I dont know why it ends up like this. VK got highlight it himself 1 or 2 pages back. Haiz. I think I better go back mountain to reflect on my mistakes and actions.

Thom07
25-05-2009, 08:35 PM
NNkc....come out of the mountain start to chak ppl liao hor:rolleyes: Small boy better learn more things...dung nhieu chuyen nhe :D

nhe is ... ?

jackbl
26-05-2009, 12:07 AM
U lazy to check dictionary is it???

nhé = "Right"

ở nhà học đi nhé: Read your lessons while at home, right!

Xem xong trả ngay nhé!: Return it after reading right!

nhe is ... ?

Botarbolampar
26-05-2009, 12:50 AM
U lazy to check dictionary is it???
nhé = "Right"
ở nhà học đi nhé: Read your lessons while at home, right!
Xem xong trả ngay nhé!: Return it after reading right!

Need to drink more saliva to pick up faster. But some of you guys really can pick up the language very fast. Super good too.

KangTuo
26-05-2009, 07:28 AM
A conversation between 2 gals, A & B.
A is telling B the number of time she comes Sillypore and with who.

lan dau tao di voi ban
lan 2 tao di 1 minh
lan nay tao di voi thang kia
no wen thang kia

What is thang kia? :confused:

jackbl
26-05-2009, 03:39 PM
IMHO.... thang kia is "That man"....

If anyone knows that I got it wrong, pls point out so that I can learn as well, thanks!

lan dau tao di voi ban
lan 2 tao di 1 minh
lan nay tao di voi thang kia
no wen thang kia

What is thang kia? :confused:

jackbl
28-05-2009, 01:53 AM
A festival to celebrate health and pest control
==========================================
Mon Ngon Viet Nam Magazine

As the weather heats up, every household in Vietnam prepares for Tet Doan Ngo or the Double Fifth Festival to pray for good health, ward off harmful pests and celebrate the arrival of summer.

Tet Doan Ngo, originally from China, is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month. This year the festival falls on May 28, the summer solstice when the yang element representing life and brightness reaches its peak.

In China the event is known as the Duanwu Festival. It commemorates the death anniversary of Chinese mandarin Qu Yuan, who lived during the period of Warring States from 453 B.C. to 221 B.C.

Yuan committed suicide by drowning himself in the Miluo River on the fifth day of the fifth month. Local people who admired him threw food into the river to feed the fish so that they would not eat Qu Yuan's body.

Some East Asian countries, such as Japan and Korea, also hold similar celebrations called Kodomo no hi and Dano.

But in Vietnam, the festival is better known as “the day for killing insects” to improve the health of humans and their crops.

“Doan” means “in the middle” while “Ngo” refers to the hottest part of the day, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

According to ancient beliefs, the beginning of May in the lunar calendar is when the weather changes, which can bring on a range of illnesses.

In tropical countries, such as Vietnam, diseases are more prevalent in summer and people are encouraged to consume fruit, vegetables and herbal infusions made with rice leaves and rice alcohol.

These dishes are believed to kill off harmful parasites inside the human body.

Children eat fruit that is in season, sticky-rice wine and boiled eggs for breakfast while adults savor sticky-rice wine all through the festive day.

The Vietnamese practice of Tet Doan Ngo is to also pay respects to the god who controls sickness. To do this, and to ward off spirits, people pray and burn silver and gold paper offerings.

In the old days, physicians would begin collecting herbs from noon on the day of the festival in the belief the plants absorb extra yang element during that period and so can be used to make more effective medicine.

On the day of Tet Doan Ngo, Vietnamese people also hang bunches of herbs on their walls in the hope of warding off evil spirits and sickness.

The festival is also a chance for people to express their gratitude toward physicians who have treated them during the year. People visit their doctors and offer them gifts.

Sticky rice with wine, one of the must-have items of the day, is prepared three days in advance. The sticky rice is steamed twice and mixed with brewers yeast when it cools.

After being fermented for two or three days, the mixture will give out a sweet, thick alcoholic liquid.

A variety of conical-shaped rice cakes are also served during the festival. Sticky rice is soaked in ash water for a few days and then wrapped inside leaves and steamed.

The cakes are filled with various stuffings, from ground green beans to durian. But the most popular are the rice cakes without stuffing. The simple cake, which resembles a piece of green or yellow jelly, is eaten with honey or sugar. They are well-loved by children and adults alike.

The annual Tet Doan Ngo has long played an important part in the spiritual life of Vietnamese people. The festival conveys their hopes for good health, successful crops and the beginning of a new season. It also reawakens people’s fondness for traditional Vietnamese delicacies, such as rice cakes and sticky rice with wine.

casannova03
28-05-2009, 02:15 AM

Cheers
A Novice for Viet

Hi bro, in case you do not already know, the part in red above should be :

Sao Nhieu Nhieu:D

My level not so good only can help all these basic stuffs....:D

KangTuo
28-05-2009, 07:14 AM
IMHO.... thang kia is "That man"....

i got the meaning.
thang kia = other man

:)

utd4ever59
30-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Can any brother help me to translate the folowing cos vdict cannot do it.hehe.
Em cung yeu anh nhieu lasm. yeu den phat dien.
Em khong can anh hua.....can ang lam thoi
Thank you very much brother.

jackbl
30-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I also love you alot. Love until become crazy.
I no need you to promise....need you to do only.

If u wan to "hook" a viet gal who know nothing abt ur language, u must spend some effort to learn....

Can any brother help me to translate the folowing cos vdict cannot do it.hehe.
Em cung yeu anh nhieu lasm. yeu den phat dien.
Em khong can anh hua.....can ang lam thoi
Thank you very much brother.

jackbl
31-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Smoking a bigger killer than Vietnam’s roads
=========================================
VNA

More than 40,000 Vietnamese die from smoking-related diseases each year, quadruple the number of traffic fatalities, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned at the start of the national No Smoking Week.

Tobacco-related deaths in Vietnam are forecast to climb to 70,000 by 2030, WHO representatives told a press conference in Hanoi on Monday to mark Vietnam’s No Smoking Week from May 25 to 31.

The annual cost of treating lung cancer, coronary thrombosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the most common diseases caused by smoking, is estimated at more than VND1 trillion (US$56.2 million), equivalent to 20 percent of government spending on public health.

According to the WHO, Vietnam has one of the highest smoking rates in the world with 56.1 percent of men and 1.8 percent of women being active smokers.

The WHO blamed the high smoking rate on the cheap price of cigarettes in Vietnam, where tobacco taxes are much lower than in other Asian countries, such as Singapore and Thailand.

Most shops, cafes and restaurants sell imported packets of 20 cigarettes for VND14,000 to VND15,000 (70 to 84 cents), while a similar-sized pack of Vietnamese-made smokes is only VND3,500 (20 cents).

The space dedicated to health warnings on Vietnamese cigarette packets is too small to display effective warnings about the harmful effects of tobacco, according to the WHO.

The Vietnamese Health Ministry is drafting a law to ban smoking in schools, kindergartens, health clinics, factories and all indoor workplaces. Under the draft law, entertainment centers, hotels and restaurants will also be required to zone off areas for smokers.

During No Smoking Week, meetings and marches will be held in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, the central city of Danang and northern Thai Binh Province. Two TV reports on non-smoking working environment and the dangers of smoking will also be broadcast nationally.

leecs
31-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I also love you alot. Love until become crazy.
I no need you to promise....need you to do only.

If u wan to "hook" a viet gal who know nothing abt ur language, u must spend some effort to learn....

I agree....... :D:D:D

jackbl
31-05-2009, 05:43 PM
So how's your progress in the learning? No venture no gain... No pain no glory :)

I agree.......

carmeo88
31-05-2009, 08:46 PM
So how's your progress in the learning? No venture no gain... No pain no glory :)

bro your viet is getting better n better each day.:)

jackbl
01-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Its just that I m learning more and more, i dare not say getting better n better :D :p

bro your viet is getting better n better each day.

leecs
01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Sorry. I need translation on this. Thanks

Hen ngay toi khoe toi se yahoo.

jackbl
01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I just guess ..... "When I m well I will yahoo"...????

Sorry. I need translation on this. Thanks

Hen ngay toi khoe toi se yahoo.

leecs
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks... So i guess it right... Thanks... :):)

jackbl
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
HCMC among 10 cities most vulnerable to climate change
=================================================

Ho Chi Minh City is one of the 10 cities in the world most vulnerable to climate change along with Dacca in Bangladesh, Shengzhen and Guangdong in China, Bangkok in Thailand, and Yangon in Myanmar.

The remark was made by the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment in a press release for the World Environment Day, June 5, quoting from a report by the Paris-based Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.

The peak tide level in HCMC has risen in the last two years and hit 1.55 meters last December, a record hike in over half a century. The city authorities worry that the phenomenon is the impact of climate change.

The municipal People’s Committee Chairman Le Hoang Quan has told relevant agencies to study the impact of climate change on the city and given his consent to a US$640 million scheme for flood control, according to the statement released on Friday.

The 2007-2008 Human Development Report by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) said Vietnam is one of the four countries most vulnerable to climate change.

With the earth’s ocean currents warming up, the sea level is forecast to rise by one meter by 2100, inundating one-fifth of Vietnam and causing 22 million people to lose their homes and farmland.

The Vietnamese Institute of Hydrometeorology and Environment said the average temperature in HCMC, Vung Tau and many other places has increased by 2 degrees Celsius since 1960.

Just as noticeably, the sea-level has risen by 20 centimeters over the past decade.

Reported by Bao Anh

jackbl
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Good news if u r travelling internally :)

Flag carrier cuts fares again under tourism campaign
==============================================

Vietnam Airlines has announced fare cuts for the second time this year under a national program to stimulate domestic tourism that will last until the end of September.

Between June 1 and August 31, a round trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi and Vinh will cost VND1.4 million (US$78.8) and from HCMC to Hue and Da Nang, VND1 million ($56.2).

It will be VND1.4 million on the HCMC-Hai Phong and Hanoi-Can Tho sectors, VND600,000 for Hanoi-Dong Hoi and VND1.55 million for Hanoi-Buon Ma Thuot.

The airline said the fares would fall further in September to VND810,000 for a round trip from Hanoi and HCMC to Hue and Da Nang.

Tran The Dung, deputy director of Young Generation Travel Company, said tour operators in HCMC had sold around 3,200 tours to the northern and central regions in the program’s first stage that started in January.

The Vietnam National Administration of Tourism said more than 100 travel agencies, hotels and transport operators have joined the “Impressive Vietnam” campaign to cut prices on 99 tour packages offered to foreign visitors between January and September.

Reported by Vinh Bao

v.killers
05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi bro, in case you do not already know, the part in red above should be :

Sao Nhieu Nhieu:D

My level not so good only can help all these basic stuffs....:D

Actually "SAO" nhieu nhieu the SAO should be "XAO" some viet gals teach me ;)

jackbl
06-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I think so too, i ck dict and found:

xạo === (adj) unreliable

jackbl
06-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Why nvr mention sgp???

Vietnam ranks 39th among the safest places
VNA
Vietnam was ranked 39th among the safest places in the world, according to the 2009 Global Peace Index (GPI), an annual ranking of the world's nations on their peacefulness, Vietnam News Agency reported.

The country has stepped down two spots from last year’s index, which conducted the survey on 140 countries.

The GPI in 2009, which was announced by the Australia-based Institute for Economics and Peace on Wednesday, measured the peacefulness of 144 countries.

It is composed of 23 indicators, including arms exports, violent crime, battlefield deaths, prison population, level of organized crime, potential for terrorism, political stability and the likelihood of violent demonstrations.

New Zealand won the title as the world’s most peaceful country, followed by Denmark and Norway. Iceland stayed in the fourth place and Austria in fifth.

GPI revealed that small, stable and democratic countries ranked highest, 14 of the top 20 countries are western or central European democracies.

In the Asia-Pacific region, Malaysia captures the 26th spot while Indonesia (67th), the Philippines (114th), Thailand (118th) and Myanmar (126th).

Iraq was again the world's least peaceful country in 2008, remaining in 144th place. Afghanistan, Somalia, Israel and Sudan were the next least peaceful, ranking 143rd-140th respectively.

Three of the world's major military-diplomatic powers continue to register relatively low rankings, with China at 74, the United States at 83 and Russia at 136.

jackbl
06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Dun know exam also so stressful in vn :p

Parents criticize education ministry for stressful central exam centers
================================================== ===

The Ministry of Education and Training’s policy to gather high school pupils from different schools to sit exams in one location has come under fire from parents. Many complained that both time and money has been wasted, which has led to unnecessary anxiety and ill health of their children.

With many students located far from the centers, some have failed to turn up for exams as they have bee involved in traffic accidents.

With people also having to travel long distances or live in a different area for the duration of the exams, many have fallen ill and been unable to sit their exams.

A deputy chairman of an exam council in Hanoi’s Ha Dong District said the ministry’s policy was not only inconvenient for students but also caused many difficulties to the schools in organizing exams.

This is the first time the ministry’s policy has been applied to school-leaving exams, but on June 3, in response to complaints, it said the number of students who not joined the exams or were caught cheating has sharply fallen compared to last year.

The high school leaving exams, which run from June 2 to June 4, include physics, biology, geography, literature, mathematics and a foreign language.

By Staff writers – Translated by Da Nguyet

lordstriker
06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi bros, I just read this article and think it would be useful info for some of bros here. In short, this girl cheated money from Singaporean man Lin Chor Eng. I guess this guy had fallen in love with the girl, that's why he was so generous, giving out so much of money. He gave out the money to the girl to open a massage shop, and buy a house. She put all under her name, instead of his name. Later, Lin Chor Eng found out it and reported to the police. Quite typical story huh? :D

“Kiều nữ” lừa đảo hơn 50.000 đô la Singapore

(Dân trí) - Trần Thị Hoa (SN 1983, ở Hoằng Hoá, Thanh Hoá) t́nh cờ quen một người Singapore và vay của ông này hơn 5.000 đô la Singapore. Khi người này về nước, Hoa lại chủ động t́m gặp, vay tiếp gần 50.000 đô la Singapore…
Ngày 1/6, thông tin từ công an phường Láng Thượng, quận Đống Đa, Hà Nội cho biết đă làm rơ thủ đoạn lừa đảo của Trần Thị Hoa trong một thời gian dài. Hoa đă lợi dụng tín nhiệm, chiếm đoạt khối tài sản trị giá hàng chục ngh́n đô la Singapore của ông Lin Chor Eng (quốc tịch Singapore).

Vụ việc xảy ra như sau: khoảng tháng 6/2006, Hoa t́nh cờ quen ông Lin Chor Eng qua một người bạn. Một năm sau đó, tháng 5/2007, Hoa gặp lại ông Eng ở Singapore và đề nghị ông cấp tiền mở tiệm massage và nhà nghỉ do Hoa làm bà chủ. Ông Eng đồng ư đưa cho Hoa 5.000 đô la Singapore. Ngoài ra, Hoa vay thêm 500 đô la Singapore nữa v́ mục đích cá nhân.
Cũng trong tháng 5/2007, khi ông Lin Chor Eng về nước, Hoa đă trực tiếp sang Singapore t́m ông này đề nghị mượn số tiền 48.000 đô la Singapore để mua nhà. Ông Lin Chor Eng không đủ tiền, đă đưa trước cho Hoa 29.000 đô la Singapore.

Tháng 5/2009, ông Lin Chor Eng sang Việt Nam và được Hoa dẫn về nhà trọ của ḿnh tại số 14 ngơ 1008 đường Láng. Hoa nói dối đây là nhà mua bằng số tiền ông Lin Chor Eng đưa cho trước đó và đề nghị ông thanh toán nốt số tiền 18.000 đô la Singapore như đă hứa.
Nhận được tiền, Hoa mua một mảnh đất tại xóm 13 xă Cổ Nhuế đứng tên ḿnh.
Biết ḿnh bị lừa, ngày 14/5, ông Lin Chor Eng đă có đơn tŕnh báo với cơ quan công an Việt Nam. Ngày 17/5, Hoa đă đến công an phường Láng Thượng đầu thú. Công an quận Đống Đa đă ra quyết định khởi tố đối với Trần Thị Hoa về hành vi lừa đảo.

Source : ?Ki?u n?? l?a ??o h?n 50.000 ?ô la Singapore - S? ki?n trong ngày - Dân trí (http://dantri.com.vn/c20/s20-328473/kieu-nu-lua-dao-hon-50000-usd-singapore.htm)

jackbl
06-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Boss, i guess most of us cant understand the news here.... any english translation??? :D;)

Hi bros, I just read this article and think it would be useful info for some of bros here. In short, this girl cheated money from Singaporean man Lin Chor Eng. I guess this guy had fallen in love with the girl, that's why he was so generous, giving out so much of money. He gave out the money to the girl to open a massage shop, and buy a house. She put all under her name, instead of his name. Later, Lin Chor Eng found out it and reported to the police. Quite typical story huh? :D

“Kiều nữ” lừa đảo hơn 50.000 đô la Singapore

AdGuy
06-06-2009, 07:35 PM

It should be 'xao' but some Viet girls argue that it's 'sao'. They should really come to this thread and be taught by Jackbl thay giao. :D

AdGuy
06-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Why nvr mention sgp???

:D

Gals are not safe with you ard.

AdGuy
06-06-2009, 07:39 PM

This is not called 'cheated'. This is called 'chopped'.

I'm a bigger victim. I have no money so the girls cheat my body instead :(

v.killers
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
It should be 'xao' but some Viet girls argue that it's 'sao'. They should really come to this thread and be taught by Jackbl thay giao. :D

Those argued one are those didnt go school..:D

AdGuy
06-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Wa, you guess also so zhun ah? Looks like you are at the highest level already :D

jackbl
07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
I wan to teach what "Co giao THAO" teaches :D

For those not knowing CO GIAO THAO, please find out fr your viet gals..... its "fun" to learn abt it :p

Skye
07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Wa, you guess also so zhun ah? Looks like you are at the highest level already :D

So free, come here and disturb other people...
You and jackbl both at grandmaster level...:p

Hurricane88
07-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Why nvr mention sgp???

Vietnam ranks 39th among the safest places

Singapore ranked number 1 safest in Asia...ranked 27 safest in the worls...:)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Talk about guessing.... it will be good if u know some geography of south and western vn. when u see a gal, u ask which province she came from, and then u guess the city/district she from. maybe this will impress her :confused:

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I found some youtube videos teaching simple vietnamese... i m sorry if u watch them already, but it is for the benefit of those who have not....

Note:Some of the vietnamese words are incorrect spell...

Basic Translations - Vietnamese to English
YouTube - Basic Translations - Vietnamese to English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSMwwCBXzYY&feature=fvw)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Vietnamese - Chào - Blackboard Project -

YouTube - Vietnamese - Chào - Blackboard Project - (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHoaFjfCy_Y&feature=related)

Note: The vietnamese words are written on the Blackboard :D

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Vietnamese Alphabets

YouTube - Vietnamese Language - Lesson 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3anjUFBHUg&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Vowel sounds in Vietnamese

YouTube - Vowel sounds in Vietnamese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmPaL-NPVw&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Putting Vietnamese sounds and tones together

YouTube - Putting Vietnamese sounds and tones together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVi5q12_oJY&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Another lesson on Vietnamese alphabet

YouTube - Vietnamese alphabet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxojJzlC0o&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Learning vietnamese from an Ang Mo?? :D

Lesson 1:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese with Bud Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eg2WgSppko&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Lesson 2:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese with Bud Brown Part 2 Tones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5W4IpmFAI&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Lesson 3:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese with Bud Brown Part 3 Question Words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDfdSXMxzM&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Part 4:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese with Bud Brown Part 4 Verbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhhB773wNw)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Lesson 5:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 5 "I Love You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLb-smAfR4k)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Some correction in Lesson 5:
YouTube - Re: Learn Vietnamese Part 5 "I Love You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw10tHYap6M)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Lesson 6:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 6 "Commands" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxTT1SMHGk&feature=related)

jackbl
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi bros, how u find these videos? Helpful? Or just some pieces of shits??? U already know them all?? Please feel free to comment.....

RockViet
07-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Fann wong(Pham van phuong) giong ban SBF o day cung hoc tieng viet! heheh Co ay hat bai hat tieng viet voi ca si vn.... this is in 2004 or 05

bai hat <nho anh>
YouTube - Fann Wong ??? and Thu Minh - Nho Anh (live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJTHjUdWzI&feature=related)

RockViet
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi bros, how u find these videos? Helpful? Or just some pieces of shits??? U already know them all?? Please feel free to comment.....

hi Bro

I had seen the bud brown series in youtude. this man really good in languages he even speak tagalog....but his acent not native though...

I like the SYT in the vietnamese alphabet series..:D

jackbl
08-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Yes, the song is called Nho Anh (Miss U). The singer is Thu Minh..... I too like this song, it is the 1st vietnamese song that i learnt to sing... :D

Fann wong(Pham van phuong) giong ban SBF o day cung hoc tieng viet! heheh Co ay hat bai hat tieng viet voi ca si vn.... this is in 2004 or 05

jackbl
08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Hope u can learn something from it..... I too got something out of these video :D

Hi other bro, if u think these video is too simple for your learning, I will stop the posting and find something more advance.... hope to hear comment from u soon.... :p

hi Bro
I like the SYT in the vietnamese alphabet series..:D

Skye
08-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Jackbl

VDict.com - Vietnamese Dictionary and Translation - T? ?i?n và d?ch ti?ng Vi?t (http://vdict.com/)

Ước ǵ cho thời gian trở lại
Ước ǵ em gặp anh một lần
Em sẽ nói em luôn nhớ anh
Và em chỉ có anh thôi

I see you like My Tam too, Uoc gi....:)
You must get my bro Adguy to do his usual rendition of "anh khong muon lam nguoi thu ba"...superb....:)

jackbl
08-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Lesson 7:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 6 "We're Going Out" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWeyRBSi-k&feature=related)

jackbl
08-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Lesson 8:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 8 "Tag Questions" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIurNFcmf8)

RockViet
08-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, the song is called Nho Anh (Miss U). The singer is Thu Minh..... I too like this song, it is the 1st vietnamese song that i learnt to sing... :D

Bro, haha this song too high note leh i cant sing.:D.. Bay gio toi dang hoc hat bai hat Vang Trang Khoc hehe hay lam especially the version sing by ca si Nhat Tinh Anh & Khanh Ngoc version..

AdGuy
09-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Talk about guessing.... it will be good if u know some geography of south and western vn. when u see a gal, u ask which province she came from, and then u guess the city/district she from. maybe this will impress her :confused:

I dun even care abt her name, you think I care abt her district. :confused:

Most I'll ask which district she stay in HCMC. After that, I'm more interested abt her cup size. :rolleyes:

AdGuy
09-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Jackbl

KNN!, why you hanging ard here when you should be doing more important things? :mad:

AdGuy
09-06-2009, 12:43 AM

The problem with these videos (according to my own experience with Viet CDs) is that they speak in Hanoi Viet.

Bros who are learning viet to cheong in our little VN will more often than not be confused by the diff lingo.

For me, I rather just learn the HCMC Viet and reject all Hanoi girls :p

Hurricane88
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I dun even care abt her name, you think I care abt her district. :confused:

Most I'll ask which district she stay in HCMC. After that, I'm more interested abt her cup size. :rolleyes:

hahaha...straight from the heart comment...right on the money...:)

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
If u need someone to sing the lady portion, u can look for me

Bro, haha this song too high note leh i cant sing.:D.. Bay gio toi dang hoc hat bai hat Vang Trang Khoc hehe hay lam especially the version sing by ca si Nhat Tinh Anh & Khanh Ngoc version..

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
U are care-less ma :D

Sure or not, u care abt cup size??? Next time we go, we look for C and above la... b4 we sit the gal, we ask the C question, if she passed, then only we can take :D

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Since no one oppose me posting the learning viet video here, I shall continue :D

Lesson 9:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 9 Some Family Terms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognc4gOoHoA)

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Lesson 9a?

YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 9 Numbers 1-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTNMI-L2pw)

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Lesson 10:

YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 10 The Months (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHS2n9OifHI)

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Lesson 11:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 11 Days of the Week (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-GACtIxjE)

jackbl
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Lesson 12:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese - Part 12 - Diacritical Marks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUNu9wbaa0)

paramount
09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Some one have chance to go to Hanoi Viet Nam
You can stay in Paramount Hotel
It is a luxury hotel in hanoi

Paramount Hotel, 28 Ngo Huyen Street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, is located near Hoan Kiem Lake, the heart of Hanoi, one street from St. Joseph’s Cathedral in an area offering a wide choice of excellent Western style and Vietnamese restaurants. On the edge of Hanoi

Paramount Hotel
28 Ngo Huyen str, Hoan Kiem dis, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Tel: +84439381188
Fax: +84439381124
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.paramounthotel.vn (http://paramounthotel.vn)

jackbl
10-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Lesson 13:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese - Part 13- "Glad to Meet You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLaX9ycHT18&feature=related)

AdGuy
10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Bro Birdie8819,

Can I just be so rude as to ask why you zapped me?

No hard feelings, just asking! :confused:

AdGuy
10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
So free, come here and disturb other people...
You and jackbl both at grandmaster level...:p

Free thanks to you. Better get those stuff sorted out, and fast. Everyday passes and I'm not making a million bucks, I get irritated. :D

And I'm just a newbie by the way. How many bros here dare to say 'i have a b x' with real conviction.

Planning on a BKK trip end Sept. Are you able to get 'un-bonded' for a couple of days? I'm sure you wanna find out the truth behind the Adam's apple.

KangTuo
10-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Bro Birdie8819,

I don't believe birdie8819 will go around zapping people.
If he free, I think he better to go GM drink :p

jackbl
10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Maybe someone used his name to zap Adguy..... :confused: :mad:

For compensation, maybe i will asked "Vu To" to kiss Adguy once lor :) :D

I don't believe birdie8819 will go around zapping people.
If he free, I think he better to go GM drink

jackbl
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Why need to wait for Sept??? I think Jul can.... BTW, Dennis got 1 return ticket to HCM at only $198 by SIA!!!!

Planning on a BKK trip end Sept. Are you able to get 'un-bonded' for a couple of days? I'm sure you wanna find out the truth behind the Adam's apple.

leecs
10-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Xin loi. I need translation help again.

"Sao nhieu nhieu".

I know what is nhieu nhieu, but sao, toi khong hieu. Cam on.

deptrai4u
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Xin loi. I need translation help again.

"Sao nhieu nhieu".

I know what is nhieu nhieu, but sao, toi khong hieu. Cam on.

Sao nhieu nhieu = you tell lies a lot...

The girls usually say this when they do not believe what you just said. For example they asked you why you did not pick up the phone when she called you just now... and you say "bcos phone battery flat!" and she says "Anh sao nhieu nhieu nhe" means "you lots of bullshit stories!"

leecs
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
thank you.

jackbl
11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
When u didnt pickup the phone....... you are "xao nhieu nhieu".... When she didnt pickup the phone, it is natural. She is busy with this and that.... 1001 reasons...

Dun take these words too hard!!!
For example they asked you why you did not pick up the phone when she called you just now... and you say "bcos phone battery flat!" and she says "Anh sao nhieu nhieu nhe" means "you lots of bullshit stories!"

AdGuy
11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe someone used his name to zap Adguy..... :confused: :mad:

For compensation, maybe i will asked "Vu To" to kiss Adguy once lor :) :D

What?

Vu beo I know, Vu To I ko hieu.

jackbl
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
How's the nite at BLM??? :D Any catches?

to = bự = big

v.killers
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Sao nhieu nhieu = you tell lies a lot...

The girls usually say this when they do not believe what you just said. For example they asked you why you did not pick up the phone when she called you just now... and you say "bcos phone battery flat!" and she says "Anh sao nhieu nhieu nhe" means "you lots of bullshit stories!"

Hello chairman of Hanoi so free come here do posting ha...:D

Are you back in Singapore roi?

v.killers
11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Bro Birdie8819,

I dont think KU KU BIRD will zap you ;)

AdGuy
11-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I dont think KU KU BIRD will zap you ;)

No worries. Just asking.

Doesn't bother me much

AdGuy
11-06-2009, 12:26 AM
How's the nite at BLM??? :D Any catches?

to = bự = big

Tonight was terrible for me

jackbl
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Then why you didnt post your experience in that thread???

These few nights I have been learning the vietnamese language that I posted on this thread :D Hope u also got time to revise and refresh :p
Tonight was terrible for me

Carrot007
11-06-2009, 04:47 AM
What?

" bự " commonly used in the south while " to " commonly used in the north when describing something big.

Similarly for béo and mập.... both means fat, one commonly used in the south while the other in the north, not difficult for you to figure out which is which, right?

Another interesting one is the meaning of pork... thịt lợn (north) & thịt heo (south). Be careful how your pronounce the northern one... it would sound very offensive if you pronounce it wrongly.

Carrot007
11-06-2009, 05:03 AM
When u didnt pickup the phone....... you are "xao nhieu nhieu".... When she didnt pickup the phone, it is natural. She is busy with this and that.... 1001 reasons...

Dun take these words too hard!!!

VN girls in JC and GL uses this phase "xao nhieu nhieu" more than they eat rice... hahaha !

KangTuo
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM
VN girls in JC and GL uses this phase "xao nhieu nhieu" more than they eat rice... hahaha !

and they use this phase "xao nhieu nhieu" less than they fcuk around. :p

jackbl
11-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Lesson 14:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 14 "Get Off the Bus" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPmDQYky8Lc)

jackbl
12-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Lesson 15:
YouTube - Vietnamese Adjectives Part 15 (2 videos) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHEE3TKOps8)

jackbl
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Lesson 16:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 16 "not yet...already" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIyOLYe3DU&feature=related)

deptrai4u
12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Hello chairman of Hanoi so free come here do posting ha...:D

Are you back in Singapore roi?

still in hanoi.. but will be in HCMC next week to fly kite.

naemlo
12-06-2009, 02:52 PM

I used ba xa more than I pee n shit. :D

v.killers
12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
still in hanoi.. but will be in HCMC next week to fly kite.

Wow...HCMC fly kite, Singapore fly aeroplane, in Hanoi Fly si mi arh :confused::D

jackbl
13-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Lesson 17:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 17 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWa_IWWSgA&feature=related)

jackbl
13-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Saw something useful in the Youtube comments of learning vietnamese from Bud Brown:

Chao is used for someone at your age/level. But to be polite & respectful we use "Thu*a" when speaking/referring to: a crowd, uncle/auntie (parents age): thua chu, bac, cau, co, di
elders (grandparents age): thua ong, thua ba or sometimes thua ong bac/ba bac

South Viet (uncles & aunties = parents siblings)
mom's older/younger brother: cau
mom's " " sister: di
dad's big brother: bac
" " younger brother: chu
" " older/younger sister: co

we also use thua when leaving:
Thua Ong/Ba/uncle/auntie/ con ve..has to be con for "I"..never use "toi"

Mom's side
Di's husband = du*o*.ng (uncle in-law)
Cau's wife = mo*. (aunt in-law)

Dad's " "
Chu's wife = thi'm (aunt in-law)
Bac's wife = also bac
Co's husband = also duong

North Viet
they use con (for I) when speaking to their parents, but when conversing with uncles/aunties/ong ba they use cha'u. "Thua ong chau ve"...south viet hardly use chau...

LoveThai
13-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Bros,

need some help again, saw on my gf hp a contact name "Anh Hien", my gf told me is just a friend. Anh Hien = Mr Hien? please enlighten me. :)

jackbl
13-06-2009, 03:56 PM
From youtube comments:

xin chao = hello
chao = hi!
chao buoi sang (good morning)
chao buoi toi (good evening)
cam on = thanks (cam on ban,//ban=you)
xin loi = apologize

Vietnamese:
1. Where is the nearest bus stop?
2. Where can I get on bus no...?
3. Which bus goes to....?
4. Does this bus go to....?
5. Where are you going?

English translation:
1. tram xe bus gan nhat o dau ? trạm xe búyt gần nhất ở đâu ?
2. o dau toi co the don bus so...?
ở đâu tôi có thể đón buưt số...?
3. loai bus nao di toi... ?
loại buưt nào đi tới...?
4. co phai bus nay di toi..;?
có phải búyt này đi tới...?
5. ban dang di dau ?
bạn đang đi đâu ?

jackbl
13-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Anh Hien can be a name of someone, can be a gal or even guy.

Anh Hien can also be interpret as Brother Hien.

Why not u call the number and listen whether the person is a man or woman?

Bros,
need some help again, saw on my gf hp a contact name "Anh Hien", my gf told me is just a friend. Anh Hien = Mr Hien? please enlighten me. :)

jackbl
13-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Extracted from YouTube:

Vietnamese: anh yeu em?
English: i love u
switch your gender if you are a girl, use
em yeu anh.

Vietnamese: em muon di choi khong?
English: do u want to go out?

Vietnamese: em diep qua
English: your beautiful

Vietnamese: em co the lai anh khong?
English: will u marry me?

Vietnamese: anh co the nam tay em khong?
English: may i hold your hand? or can i hold your hand?

Vietnamese: anh co the hon em khong?
English: many i kiss u? or can i kiss u

Vietnamese: anh co the om em khong?
English: may i hug u? or can i hug u?

naemlo
13-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Yo dun worry, my ger's mobile is full of A XXX. Just like thai, Pii XXX

AdGuy
13-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Yo dun worry, my ger's mobile is full of A XXX. Just like thai, Pii XXX

Your mobile is also full of BX XXX :D

Hurricane88
13-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Anh Hien can be a name of someone, can be a gal or even guy.

Anh Hien can also be interpret as Brother Hien.

Why not u call the number and listen whether the person is a man or woman?

Also can be elder sister Hien...:)

naemlo
13-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Your mobile is also full of BX XXX :D

This quite true.... I had a good fight with a Viet ger because of this. :D

naemlo
13-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Also can be elder sister Hien...:)

Normally they addess older woman as "chi", older man as "anh", younger ger or boy as "em".

jackbl
14-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Extract from Youtube comments:

Addressing brother/sister in the family:

1st born: (anh hai) for girl (chi hai)
sec born: (anh ba) for girl (chi ba)
3rd born: (anh thu) for girl (chi thu)
4th born: (anh nam) for girl (chi nam)

The south also use "con út" for the youngest, but I heard most people use "con lớn" for the oldest. For example: con trai lớn của tôi (my oldest son).

They also use "con đầu ḷng" (first born child), con trai đầu ḷng, con gái đầu ḷng.

**The north name the child order like this: anh cả, anh hai, anh ba, anh tư etc.

SING_IN_HCMC
14-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Dear bros.
I am currently working in HCMC. Chanced upon this wonderful thread. Very interesting and informative. Best wisjes to all bros....

Cam on rat nhieu!!

jackbl
14-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Hope u like it. Care to intro yourself, your work, and your HCMC nite life experiences??? :D

Dear bros.
I am currently working in HCMC. Chanced upon this wonderful thread. Very interesting and informative. Best wisjes to all bros....

Cam on rat nhieu!!

Hurricane88
14-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Normally they addess older woman as "chi", older man as "anh", younger ger or boy as "em".

Thanks for clarifying...I had known quite a few gals names Anh...my fren sister call her Anh...:)

SING_IN_HCMC
14-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Hope u like it. Care to intro yourself, your work, and your HCMC nite life experiences??? :D

Bro,

yes, this thread is informative, with the lao jiao sharing experiences and stories, as well as tieng Viet.

Oh, my company provides a one-stop solution to all who wants to do biz in Vn, in particular, HCMC. We have a wide range of contacts - to get things done, if you know what I mean. All biz solutions, you name it, we will do our level best to deliver. Our rates are extremely reasonable also. Do pm me if any bros here plans to venture into HCMC, and I am not be the expert, but the company has local people who may have the right solutions.:)

AdGuy
15-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Extract from Youtube comments:

Addressing brother/sister in the family:

1st born: (anh hai) for girl (chi hai)
sec born: (anh ba) for girl (chi ba)
3rd born: (anh thu) for girl (chi thu)
4th born: (anh nam) for girl (chi nam)

Oh shit... Is the 7th born called chi bay? :eek:

jackbl
15-06-2009, 02:11 AM
No, 6th born girl, is called Chi Bay....

Today i went HM, the cute gal that stayed with thuy(alan) asked about u... she missed u!

jackbl
15-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Last lesson from Bud Brown:
YouTube - Learn Vietnamese Part 18- Negative Sentences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5meCF_twUg)

Hurricane88
15-06-2009, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=jackbl;3832058]

QUOTE]

hahaha...chi bay = "liu jie" and only for hokkien it means dirty...in Vn it is not dirty la...chim is the key word lor...hohoho...hahahaha...:)

Of course AdGuy and jackbl knew these because they are expert in Tieng Viet...only for those who dun know what it means...:)

jackbl
15-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Adguy dun speak (very few) viet to the gals, they understand him... I speak some sentences to them, they dun know what i say.... So u say who is the expert here :confused:

Of course AdGuy and jackbl knew these because they are expert in Tieng Viet...only for those who dun know what it means...:)

AdGuy
16-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Adguy dun speak (very few) viet to the gals, they understand him... I speak some sentences to them, they dun know what i say.... So u say who is the expert here :confused:

Of course you la!:rolleyes:

AdGuy
16-06-2009, 12:41 AM

Today i went HM, the cute gal that stayed with thuy(alan) asked about u... she missed u!

No idea who you talking about. :confused:

I tot that girl who stayed with Alan went back already? :p