PDA

View Full Version : Tieng Viet lovers club

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

AdGuy
16-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Of course AdGuy and jackbl knew these because they are expert in Tieng Viet...only for those who dun know what it means...:)

Not expert at all.

I only know how to xao chut chut. :p

jackbl
16-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Learin Vietnamese:
YouTube - Learnin Vietnamese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N6GiWwPFt0)

jackbl
16-06-2009, 04:16 PM
The gal with that stay at Enuos... got a fren always "black" face :D So when are u going to HM again?

No idea who you talking about. :confused:

I tot that girl who stayed with Alan went back already? :p

jackbl
16-06-2009, 04:25 PM
YouTube - Asking Questions in Vietnamese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uam5f9LJdnE&feature=related)

YouTube - Vietnamese numbers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlVt4vQkeHA&feature=related)

YouTube - Telling time in Vietnamese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95q3Tb90G5Y&feature=related)

YouTube - Tenses in Vietnamese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9D2d_bULik&feature=related)

jackbl
16-06-2009, 04:32 PM
YouTube - Tenses in Vietnamese 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTNXmrG4Ug&feature=related)

YouTube - Passage of Time in Vietnamese 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe9Tgomti4&feature=related)

YouTube - Passage of Time in Vietnamese 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nht8LgHgPbg&feature=related)

AdGuy
16-06-2009, 11:02 PM
The gal with that stay at Enuos... got a fren always "black" face :D So when are u going to HM again?

Awaiting your activation :p

jackbl
17-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Try to keep either Sunday or Monday free.... If the plan succeed, then will activate u! But hor, could be the same old place....how??? pls dun be sad :(
Awaiting your activation :p

AdGuy
18-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Try to keep either Sunday or Monday free.... If the plan succeed, then will activate u! But hor, could be the same old place....how??? pls dun be sad :(

What's 'same old place'? If HM, I'm on! :D

jackbl
18-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Today someone said I have so many BX, and then.... now i m still awake :confused::eek:
What's 'same old place'? If HM, I'm on! :D

jackbl
19-06-2009, 01:18 AM
The history of Vietnamese:
YouTube - HISTORY OF GREAT VIET (????) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4q68h_nfA&feature=fvw)

YouTube - The Origin and History of Vietnamese People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx8BFzM2LRM&feature=related)

YouTube - Ancient Vietnam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_SBh_hWy80)

YouTube - Vietnamese History and Heritage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsc9cz0Qt3w)

jackbl
19-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Vietnam War:

YouTube - History of the Vietnam War & Map (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSCN4RcfW_I)

YouTube - Vietnam War - The Real Story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSiXHcsDQU&feature=related)

adonis
19-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi friends. How do I say to a young girl:

Is it enjoyable?

Pls write it phoenetically. I tried two Vietnamese hookers in Geylang. They're on the hole (whole) quite enjoyable. Pricewise a bit cheaper than the China hookers. But the Vietnamese hooker, I tried in M'sia gave v v bad service to me. This is because Vietnam was originally independent. Then ruled 1000 yrs by China. Independent. Then colonised by the French. Then by the Japs. Then French again. Americans tried to colonise Vietnam but failed. Independence. This causes them to be self reliant. To be subservient at times, yet independent at heart. Thanks.

raibo
20-06-2009, 10:05 AM
a gal sms me in some simple english.
A few sentences eneded with "wach".

Is there a vn word "wach"??
or maybe she typo..

jackbl
20-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I have checked the dict for u but no such word in vn...

or maybe she typo..

RockViet
21-06-2009, 12:19 AM

or maybe she typo..

hmmm.. if not wrong there's no word starting with "W" in vn....thus it cant be found in dictonary...same like u wun find vn word starting with "Z"

maybe wach is also some sms wordie? just like sometime vn ppl like to sms "buon qua" as "buon wa" as Qua is sound like wa"...

jackbl
22-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Saw the internet shops allows very crowded with school children

越南青少年上网成瘾 当地已推出戒瘾计划
=============================================
(2009-06-22)

(胡志明市法新电)随着互联网在越南越来越普及,越南人也面对上网成瘾的问题。
  当地第一个协助青少年戒除上网瘾的计划,就通过烤肉会或烘焙蛋糕等简单的活动,来协助上瘾者过正常生活 。

根据官方统计,越南8600万人口中的约四分之一,可取得互联网接驳服务。

尽管线上游戏是在约四年前才进入越南,但现在即使是在乡村地区,也可找到让人上网玩游戏的网吧,而且玩 线上游戏的人有不断增加的趋势。

美国调查公司Pearl Research去年底公布的报告就预测,越南的网络游戏玩家将在2011年突破1000万人。

在河内一家网吧,里面的30台电脑几乎全被青少年占用了,他们都聚精会神地玩着打斗或足球 游戏。

提供越南第一个戒除上网瘾计划的中心主管阮青仁说,他不清楚有多少网民需要帮助。他说,“我只能说数目 庞大”,因为有数以千计的人打电话来询问戒瘾计划。

15岁的潘黎洪德是第一批参加该计划的20个青少年之一。他说:“我刚开始时每天会玩五六个小时,但玩 的时间与日俱增。有时我会玩通宵10个小时。”

潘黎洪德的母亲说,该16天疗程的费用大约是350万盾(约290新元),但物有所值。她说:“只要能 找回孩子,我们愿意付费。”

阮青仁说,他们参考了中国和韩国的戒瘾计划,并加入了自己的一套方法,让青少年分享自己的 感受。

该课程也通过简单的活动如烤肉会或烘蛋糕,让青少年和家人重新建立联系。

阮青仁说,参加戒瘾计划的学员中,90%放弃了网络游戏,那些继续玩线上游戏的人则学会尊重家 人

jackbl
23-06-2009, 09:54 AM
YouTube - 54 Ethnic Groups of Vietnam, 54 Dan Toc Vietnam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9cFlqIZt3I&NR=1)

jackbl
27-06-2009, 02:13 PM
1 of my fav food of VN

Vietnamese pancakes a sensory dining experience
Saigon Businessman Magazine

Pancakes are popular around the world, including in Vietnam, where the local version is known as banh xeo.

Banh xeo shares a number of common features with Japan’s okonomiyaki, Korea’s jijimi, India’s masala dosa and the crepes that are widely eaten for breakfast in America and Europe.

Unlike Western-style pancakes which focus on sumptuous topping, such as ham, bacon, cheese and honey, Asian pancakes are a harmonious combination of vegetables, meat and seafood.

Although fried, the crispy banh xeo are considered a healthy treat.

The crunchy crispy crepes are usually filled with pork, prawns, bean sprouts and chopped spring onions. They are eaten with lettuce and a sweet vinegary chili fish sauce.

To make the batter, flour is mixed with water, coconut milk, finely-sliced spring onions and turmeric.

About one third of a cup of batter is poured into a heated oiled frying pan. The yellow batter is then spread to create a thin, round pancake.

Toppings, including stir-fried pork, prawns and a handful of bean sprouts, are placed on the pancake while it’s still cooking. After a few minutes, the cake is folded in half to make a semi-circle, then served with lettuce and fish sauce.

Banh xeo is considered a flexible dish as the toppings can be varied according to personal preference and what’s in season.

Besides the most common toppings of pork, prawn, bean sprouts and boiled green beans, beef, seafood and mushrooms can also be added to banh xeo.

The pancakes are prepared differently throughout the country. Central Vietnamese are fond of a thicker and smaller banh xeo, with a diameter of 10 to 15 centimeters.

Southerners, however, prefer their banh xeo to be paper-thin, crispy, bigger in size and less oily. The secret to extra-thin cake is a deep frying pan and a quick wrist to coat the frying pan with the batter before it starts to cook.

Eating the cake is a messy but enjoyable process. The diner wraps a piece of the freshly cooked banh xeo in lettuce and dips it in the sweet chili fish sauce. The combination of the crispy texture of the banh xeo, the rich taste of the toppings, complemented by fresh vegetables and the sweet and sour fish sauce make a memorable dining experience for people of all ages and nationalities.

The excitement of banh xeo lies in the way the pancake is prepared - the sizzling sound when the batter is poured into the hot pan, the smell of the batter as it cooks and the mixture of the yellow batter, the green spring onions and the red shrimp.

The pancakes are eaten by hand, the better to enjoy the crispy, fresh taste.

Altogether, the experience of eating banh xeo is said to satisfy all five of the senses.

jackbl
27-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Ministry limits numbers of subscriptions by prepaid phone users
==============================================

An individual can use his/her personal information to subscribe to a maximum of three prepaid SIM cards from each mobile network provider, the Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) has ruled.

An exception is made for those authorized to subscribe to the service for representatives of agencies or organizations, according to new regulations issued by the ministry on Wednesday.

The regulations ban subscribers from using others’ name, date of birth and ID card or passport number to buy prepaid SIM cards.

Using one’s own personal info to subscribe for others has also been ruled illegal unless the subscribers are parents or guardians registering for users below 14 years of age.

According to a government decree released last month that will take effect on July 15, anyone caught using another person’s ID card number to register a SIM card will be fined from VND2-5 million (US$117- 292).

Under the new regulations, prepaid mobile phone users are responsible for the authenticity of their registered information and have to inform network providers of any change in the SIM cards’ ownership.

They can report to authorities any misconduct by service providers or other users in collecting, storing and using their information.

From January 1, 2010, anyone caught falsifying information on their registration forms will have the service cut off.

Service providers and retailers are also barred from activating SIM cards when the subscribers haven’t registered their information, and from disclosing or using the information for illegal purposes.

The ministry has ordered all prepaid subscribers to register their SIM cards by providing their name, date of birth and ID card or passport number by Tuesday, June 30.

The move is part of an effort to track down companies and individuals who send out large volumes of unsolicited text messages and to hold them accountable.

Network providers, however, have said most subscribers have not yet registered their personal information, or have provided false information.

Company officials also say many SIM cards have been registered using false information.

People who began using prepaid phones from the beginning of 2008 were required to register their SIM cards at the time of purchase, but many card retailers allowed customers to use false information or that of the retailers, the ministry had reported early this year.

Moreover, retailers have registered a large number of SIM cards themselves using old customers’ info and have then resold them.

Reported by Truong Son

jackbl
27-06-2009, 02:58 PM
A new type of job??? :confused:

Rent-a-groom
=============================
Some female factory workers in Binh Duong and nearby Ho Chi Minh City are hiring instant husbands after they fall pregnant and their lovers flee
Ha Hiep still keeps the wedding photo in her rented room in Binh Duong Province so that anytime her little son asks about his father, she has someone to point to.

The boy believes that his father is away on important business and will return eventually.

Hiep’s parents in far-away Ha Tinh Province are just as deceived and think she is living happily with the handsome young man they met at the wedding.

Only Hiep knows that the nuptials were a sham, and that the man was a total stranger she had met for the first time minutes before the ceremony.

It might sound unreal but more girls in Binh Duong and nearby Ho Chi Minh City are hiring instant husbands after they fall pregnant and their lovers flee.

The garment worker recalled how she had fallen in love with the student next door and stayed with him for several years before the “accident” occurred while the others were out.

“When he ran away, I was filled with hate but I could not leave the child,” Hiep said. “And I didn’t want my parents’ reputation to suffer.”

So she decided on a fake wedding.

The banquet halls that arrange the deception find suitable good-looking bridegrooms among their waiters, college students and local xe om drivers.

Phuong also from Binh Duong found herself in a similar predicament. She graduated from college and quickly found a good job at an import-export company in downtown HCMC.

Phuong became the object of the director’s affection after three months in the job. Her boss even promised to marry Phuong, but was quick to sack her once he learned she was pregnant.

She didn’t want an abortion, she dared not give birth alone in the city, yet she didn’t want to harm her parents’ good standing in their community by going home.

She too resorted to a sham wedding.

The banquet hall charged her VND1 million for the bridegroom and VND2 million for a few other people to play the in-laws. Phuong had to buy the groom’s wedding outfit and the dowry he was supposed to give her.

At the wedding party, her family felt proud to see their daughter hitched to a city man. Mission accomplished.

Unexpected income

Phan Hoang Lan has been paying his way through college for several years by playing the groom.

His new career came about when he was a part-time waiter at a banquet hall on Cach Mang Thang Tam Street in HCMC.

One day, out of the blue, the manager asked if he could play the role of bridegroom for VND1 million.

“I needed money to pay my tuition fee, so I accepted,” Lan said. “The next day a woman with a big belly came and took me to get a wedding photo. I was really scared but she was crying, so I went. After the photo was taken, she bought me a pair of shoes and a new, expensive suit.”

More such requests followed, in fact, so many that he had to farm the work out to young men of his acquaintance.

Hoang, who has been acting the groom for more than five years at a banquet hall in Binh Duong, said most of the girls he “married” were factory workers living far from home.

“The first time, I did it because I felt sorry for the girl, but it soon became just a source of income.”

One of his clients was an avowed lesbian whose family strongly objected to her sexual orientation and insisted that she marry a man.

“Sometimes I get scared about the future. What would happen if my wife happened to see the wedding photos with me in there?” Hoang said.

Tran Van Dang, who manages a banquet hall in Thu Duc District, is reluctant about providing the service but knows he will lose potential customers if he takes a principled stand.

“Anyway, it helps the girls avoid getting a bad reputation at home,” he said. “Yet every time I see a girl trying her best to smile, I feel sad.”

Source: Tuoi Tre

jackbl
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
The thread is dying... inactive for a long time :confused: :(

I will start the ball rolling again and u guys continue ha..... ;)

Anyone know how to write the below with the vietnamese symbolic sign:

tieu tho = 千金小姐 ???

leecs
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I need help to translate this. thanks

"Chuc 1 ngay may man"

lovesprout
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM

"Chuc 1 ngay may man"

I wish you one day have a lot of good luck.

lovesprout
01-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Because I learn my tieng viet from this thread, it is time for me to have some contribution. Therefore, I am sharing one of my recent sms with you guys. I hope you will like it.

Her: Anh a, em nghe anh sap di Thailand sao em thay buon qua, kg biet minh (em va anh) co con gap nhau nua kg? Em chi so anh quen em mat thoi. Nhung luc nao em cung nghi den anh. Em biet em lam nghe nay that la xau, em dau muon nhu the dau tai vi nha em kho qua em moi di lam nghe nay. Em kg biet anh nghi ve em nhu the nao? O dat nuoc Singapore nay em biet duoc anh em rat la vui neu sau nay em ve VN anh la mot ki niem dep trong long em.

Dear, I hear that you will go to Thailand soon, why I feel sad? Because I don’t know whether we can meet each other again or not. I just afraid that you forget me completely, but I always think about you. I know I work on this profession is bad, I also don’t want this at all, it is just because my family’s situation is difficult. I don’t know how do you think about me? In Singapore this country, I am very happy that I can get to know you. If later I go back to Vietnam, you will become one piece of beautiful memory in my mind.

Me: Khong phai la ai lam viec o do la sai. Anh biet em la mot con gai rat tot vi em lam viec chi de gia dinh em. Anh ko quen em sau khi anh den Thailand.

Not everyone work there is bad. I know you are a good girl because you only work for your family. I will not forget you after I arrive Thailand.

Her: Cam on anh da hieu duoc em, em cam dong qua em muon khoc roi. Cam on anh nhieu lam anh tot lam.

Thank you very much for understanding me. I feel so moved that I wanted to cry. Thank you very much. You are very nice to me.

leecs
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks....

Hurricane88
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM

tieu tho = 千金小姐 ???

Ya lor because not much bro dare to ask for translation because worry got shot at...I suggest we allow all to post their vn translation freely no matter how simple the vn words are and let any bro who wants to help to translate...if no bro wants to help translate then just let it be lor...:)

RockViet
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM

"Chuc 1 ngay may man"

I wish you one day have a lot of good luck.

more acurate i think it should be .."Wish you have a lucky day"
:D

e.g chuc em mot ngay dep... "wish you hv a nice day"

jackbl
02-07-2009, 12:03 AM
tieu tho = 千金小姐 ???

more acurate i think it should be .."Wish you have a lucky day"

e.g chuc em mot ngay dep... "wish you hv a nice day"

Horrrrrrrr............ u help other people to translate, u no help me :confused: :( :o

Hurricane88
02-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Because I learn my tieng viet from this thread, it is time for me to have some contribution. Therefore, I am sharing one of my recent sms with you guys. I hope you will like it.

Her: Anh a, em nghe anh sap di Thailand sao em thay buon qua, kg biet minh (em va anh) co con gap nhau nua kg? Em chi so anh quen em mat thoi. Nhung luc nao em cung nghi den anh. Em biet em lam nghe nay that la xau, em dau muon nhu the dau tai vi nha em kho qua em moi di lam nghe nay. Em kg biet anh nghi ve em nhu the nao? O dat nuoc Singapore nay em biet duoc anh em rat la vui neu sau nay em ve VN anh la mot ki niem dep trong long em.

Dear, I hear that you will go to Thailand soon, why I feel sad? Because I don’t know whether we can meet each other again or not. I just afraid that you forget me completely, but I always think about you. I know I work on this profession is bad, I also don’t want this at all, it is just because my family’s situation is difficult. I don’t know how do you think about me? In Singapore this country, I am very happy that I can get to know you. If later I go back to Vietnam, you will become one piece of beautiful memory in my mind.

Me: Khong phai la ai lam viec o do la sai. Anh biet em la mot con gai rat tot vi em lam viec chi de gia dinh em. Anh ko quen em sau khi anh den Thailand.

Not everyone work there is bad. I know you are a good girl because you only work for your family. I will not forget you after I arrive Thailand.

Her: Cam on anh da hieu duoc em, em cam dong qua em muon khoc roi. Cam on anh nhieu lam anh tot lam.

Thank you very much for understanding me. I feel so moved that I wanted to cry. Thank you very much. You are very nice to me.

Thank you for sharing...pls keep it coming...:)

VietnamLover
02-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Vietnamese sex workers trapped in extortion racket

Less than three years ago, a young Vietnamese woman fell to her death from the 10th floor of a block of apartments in Singapore’s Toa Payoh District.

Twenty-four-year-old Pham Thi Truc Linh, who worked at a nightclub called Jazzy 51 in Joo Chiat, was barefoot and topless but had a blue skirt on, according to the Straits Times.

The 39-year-old owner of the apartment had apparently been trying to prevent the 24-year-old woman from leaving when she climbed out of the kitchen window and fell. The two had met in a Joo Chiat pub the previous night and left together around midnight.

What exactly happened in September 2006 is still not clear, but young Vietnamese women are seemingly unaware of the perils involved as they seek in increasing numbers to earn money as sex workers in Singapore.

A Thanh Nien investigation into a red-light district and brothels in Singapore found that many are having to work hard only to have their earnings extorted from the pimps who help them go abroad.

At a karaoke lounge on Geylang Street, visitors were told to wait and were served a drink. Young women kept walking in to check if any man was sitting without a partner.

There were between 20-30 women aged from 19-25 at the lounge and most of them were Vietnamese.

The lounge is located at the intersection of Street 38 and Street 44, an area known for having Vietnamese girls working at nightclubs and karaoke lounges.

More bustling activity can be found a little further down the road, between the intersections of Street 6 and Street 20. Hundreds of women from different countries wait to invite passers-by to the brothels, and several pimps offer their services as well.

Anytime a police car passes by, many women run as fast as they can to hidden corners, as they might be working illegally, instead of being registered workers at regulated brothels and nightclubs.

Not so far from Geylang Street is Joo Chiat Road, also known for bars and brothels with Vietnamese girls.

Rich pickings for extortionists

Thanh Nien recently forwarded to concerned authorities a letter from a woman who claimed she was cheated by a ring that helps Vietnamese women work as prostitutes in Singapore.

The woman from Can Tho City, who wished to remain anonymous, said 41-year-old Ngoc in HCMC has been working for four years helping Vietnamese women through the procedures for them to work in Singapore.

The victim was able to get home recently only after her family paid Ngoc VND22.5 million (US$1,315) and gave land-use papers of their land in Can Tho City as security for another VND40 million to be paid.

The girl’s mother also said in a letter to Thanh Nien that Ngoc had hired a house on Clementi Avenue 6 in Singapore as a brothel, and had around 30 Vietnamese women aged between 17 and 30 working there. She also said Ngoc worked as a procurer to supply these women to clients at a karaoke lounge called Westcoast.

She said Ngoc collected VND22.5 million per person to work in Singapore for a month, including passport, flight ticket, accommodation and other fees.

Ngoc also organized gambling card games and sold crystal ice (a type of amphetamine) and ecstasy to sex workers.

The mother also said Ngoc has accomplices in Can Tho City who help supply women to their service in Singapore.

They loan $1,000 to each girl for passing through immigration at the airport in Singapore to legalize their visit for tourism purposes. An interest of $200 was collected on this loan. The women who could not pay the VND22.5 million within 30 days, had interest on this added to the loan amount, binding them even more tightly to the extortionists.

Killer_c
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM

tieu tho = 千金小姐 ???

Bro,

here it is.. Tiểu Thơ ;)

lovesprout
02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
If you like, I will post more sms here. Sometimes I don't use standard English translate so bros here can understand the sms more easily.

Anh quen ha? Em da tung noi voi anh rang em kg con trinh nua. Em da tung o voi ban trai em roi, anh co con muon thuong em nua kg? Anh co con muon em den nha anh nua kg?

Did you forget? I ever told you privately that I am no longer virgin. I ever “be together” with my boyfriend. Do you still want to love me?

Anh oi, hien gio em dang ngoi taxi di lam. Em kg biet tai sao em kg duoc vui ve giong nhu luc truoc nua. Anh a co rat la nhieu chuyen em phai lo nen em buon. Em rat nho anh xin dung quen em anh nhe. Anh khoe kg? Bay gio anh dang lam gi? Anh nho mua qua cho em nhe. Em rat muon co mon qua cua anh de lam ki niem.

Dear, right now I am taking a taxi to work. I don’t know why I cannot be happy as same as before. There are a lot of things I need to worry about so I am sad. I miss you very much so please don’t forget me. Are you alright? What are you doing now? Please remember to buy me a present. I really want to have a piece of present from you for me to remember.

Anh yeu, em buon qua, co the em ve VN som hon du dinh.

Dear, I am very sad. Probably I will go back to VN earlier than I planned.

Anh oi em buon qua. Nha em o co nhieu nguoi qua nen gay go hoai, em muon tim nha kach em o.

Hi. I am very sad. My house has too many people in it so we have conflicts continuously. I want to find other house than the one I am in.

Chao buoi sang, anh an sang chua? Anh co di lam kg? Anh chuan bi hanh li xong chua? Va cuoi cung anh nho toi em chua? Con em thuc vay la nho anh lien roi.

Good morning. Have you eaten breakfast? Are you going to go to work? Have you finished preparing your luggage yet? Finally, have you missed me yet? Same here, I just woke up and I miss you immediately.

RockViet
02-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Horrrrrrrr............ u help other people to translate, u no help me :confused: :( :o

Me ar? no la.. yours too chim i also dunno ..waiting to learn from here oso:D

asiancigar
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
If you like, I will post more sms here. Sometimes I don't use standard English translate so bros here can understand the sms more easily.

Yes....... more please. Found it very helpful.....

Cheerz
AC

jackbl
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi bro, thanks a lot for sharing. I would like to make some correct for the spelling of some words below, the correct one is listed. Please let me know if I made any mistakes...

kỷ niệm

hành lư

thức dậy
Em rat muon co mon qua cua anh de lam ki niem.

Anh chuan bi hanh li xong chua? Con em thuc vay la nho anh lien roi.

vitruvius79
03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, my turn to try translating an sms i received. Only managed the first half. Can some kind bros help me out with the this?

Actual SMS
A nt noi rat mong tui.vay ma tui wua thi a kg nhin chuc thoi gian gap tui.that buon wua

Proper words
Anh nan tinh noi rat mong tui. vay ma tui wua thi anh khong nhin chuc thoi gian gap tui. that buon wua.

English
You (anh) sms (nan tinh) saying (noi) very much (rat) wanted to meet (mong) me (tui) However (vay ma), I (tui) went there looking for you (wua thi anh), could not see you (khong nhin) .......

KangTuo
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Actual SMS
A nt noi rat mong tui.vay ma tui wua thi a kg nhin chuc thoi gian gap tui.that buon wua

English
You (anh) sms (nan tinh) saying (noi) very much (rat) wanted to meet (mong) me (tui) However (vay ma), I (tui) went there looking for you (wua thi anh), could not see you (khong nhin) .......

let me try out...

You sms me to say that you desire for me. however when i come, you never save abit of time to meet me. Really sad.

nhin = save
chuc = little
thoi gian = time

vitruvius79
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
let me try out...

You sms me to say that you desire for me. however when i come, you never save abit of time to meet me. Really sad.

nhin = save
chuc = little
thoi gian = time

Ah, thanks KangTuo. I kept on thinking khong nhin was " could not see".
Also, may i ask what is "wua"? Is it HCM dialect? In this sentence, wua has 2 meanings?

RockViet
03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Ah, thanks KangTuo. I kept on thinking khong nhin was " could not see".
Also, may i ask what is "wua"? Is it HCM dialect? In this sentence, wua has 2 meanings?

Wua should be some sms lingo

I think the 1st Wua mean "come over" "cross over"... actual vn word is "qua" .it pronouce as Wua ...
--> tui wua thi a kg = I come over yet u dun ......

e.g em qua singapore gap anh = I come over singapore meet u...

the 2nd wua in "Buon wua" = Buon qua (very sad)...qua = very, and it pronounce as "wa" or "wua" so sometime u will see vn ppl sms in "wa" or "wua"

e.g Met qua ("wua") = very tired
Mat Qua("wua") = very expensive:D

jackbl
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Sms lingo for "qua" = "wa"... in most cases.....

qua = come over

quá = very

Wua should be some sms lingo

I think the 1st Wua mean "come over" "cross over"... actual vn word is "qua" .it pronouce as Wua ...
--> tui wua thi a kg = I come over yet u dun ......

e.g em qua singapore gap anh = I come over singapore meet u...

the 2nd wua in "Buon wua" = Buon qua (very sad)...qua = very, and it pronounce as "wa" or "wua" so sometime u will see vn ppl sms in "wa" or "wua"

e.g Met qua ("wua") = very tired
Mat Qua("wua") = very expensive:D

chanyboy
04-07-2009, 01:39 AM
oh..gosh!

Looks like they are learning Indo/Malay fast...better pick up speed with Tieng Viet liao..:p (even hotter music!)
YouTube - SIN JANTUNG HATI - DAN TRUONG & EVA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESgzWdGAzYI)

...and this is the Viet version...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTy8mwVCvE

jackbl
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Ok, now i will ask some silly question for translation....:D

I saw this sign outside a pub "Khong duoc phep vong moi loai ruou beer trong pham vi cua quan"..... Anyone can help to translate??? :confused:

Ya lor because not much bro dare to ask for translation because worry got shot at...

lovesprout
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi bro, thanks a lot for sharing. I would like to make some correct for the spelling of some words below, the correct one is listed. Please let me know if I made any mistakes...

kỷ niệm

hành lư

thức dậy

Thanks bro. I always admire you because your Tieng Viet is very good. These spelling errors you pointed out were actually made by the vb. It seems to me that they are not very good at spelling. Sometimes I challenge their spelling and they also get confused. :)

lovesprout
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM

I saw this sign outside a pub "Khong duoc phep vong moi loai ruou beer trong pham vi cua quan"..... Anyone can help to translate??? :confused:

I just half guess la. It should be "It is not permitted to bring any kinds of wine and beer inside the premise of the shop"

pham vi = 範圍
moi loai = 每種

Sometimes it is easier to translate by using Chinese!

lovesprout
04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I also want to ask few questions. What is the meaning of the following sentences?

1. em se lay bang so tien anh gui em
ah ma anh khoi tra chi em cung duoc

The background is that I sent a girl some money, but she hasn't received it yet.

2. luc nay luc khac
3. anh che em kia
4. that su neu co ai that su yeu em

Thanks in advance!

jackbl
05-07-2009, 02:04 AM

I just half guess la. It should be "It is not permitted to bring any kinds of wine and beer inside the premise of the shop"

pham vi = 範圍
moi loai = 每種

Sometimes it is easier to translate by using Chinese!

Thanks for that. Can I ask u again what "phep vong" means =?

RockViet
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I also want to ask few questions. What is the meaning of the following sentences?

1. em se lay bang so tien anh gui em

The background is that I sent a girl some money, but she hasn't received it yet.

2. luc nay luc khac
3. anh che em kia
4. that su neu co ai that su yeu em

Thanks in advance!

Let me try ..:D
2) luc nay luc khác : lit. luc nay = at this time, luc khac = at other (place). should be meaning "at other (place) now"

3). anh che em kia : U cover me over there. or u hide me over there

1). em se lay bang so tien anh gui em
I will take by(bằng) the money(tien) number(số) [reference no.] u send me.
but you don't give my sister also can.

ah ma =? :confused: or nhung ma?

4. that su neu co ai that su yeu em ----> is it nếu or nên? cos translation sound funny :P
that su neu(if) co ai(who) that su(true) yeu (love) em
True if who will truly love me

jackbl
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi, from your translation your language also not bad liao.... The thread just teaches/shares some basic foundation, and I think u had proceed on to further your level. Hope everyone can be like you :p;):D

jackbl
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks, u think too highly of me liao.... I also pointed out to them whether they spelled wrongly, LL they admitted :D If got time, let's have ca phe sua da together ne ;)

Thanks bro. I always admire you because your Tieng Viet is very good. These spelling errors you pointed out were actually made by the vb. It seems to me that they are not very good at spelling. Sometimes I challenge their spelling and they also get confused. :)

jackbl
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi, your translation is GOOD!!! I am finding high and low for them and u pop out the answer liao :D;)

For 3). anh chế em kia, another interpretation could be, YOU MAKE FUN OF ME ON THAT

Let me try ..:D

1). em se lay bang so tien anh gui em
I will take by(bằng) the money(tien) number(số) [reference no.] u send me.
but you don't give my sister also can.

ah ma =? :confused: or nhung ma?

2) luc nay luc khác : lit. luc nay = at this time, luc khac = at other (place). should be meaning "at other (place) now"

3). anh che em kia : U cover me over there. or u hide me over there

4. that su neu co ai that su yeu em ----> is it nếu or nên? cos translation sound funny :P

jackbl
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi, if u can give some background on the sentence then it will be easier to interpret. As for item 2, 3 and 4, it will be good if u provide some hints....

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi, from your translation your language also not bad liao.... The thread just teaches/shares some basic foundation, and I think u had proceed on to further your level. Hope everyone can be like you :p;):D

Yes. I hope there will be more people love tieng viet. It is an interesting language to learn. I just started last December, so I am still not very good compared to you guys. Fortunately I have vdict.com and some VN friends to help me.

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks, u think too highly of me liao.... I also pointed out to them whether they spelled wrongly, LL they admitted :D If got time, let's have ca phe sua da together ne ;)

Sure. Do you usually di choi on Sunday? Because my work is very busy, normally I only go to HM (thanks to your recommendation) or 51 on Sunday. I am also early-bird type like you. :p

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi, if u can give some background on the sentence then it will be easier to interpret. As for item 2, 3 and 4, it will be good if u provide some hints....

[I]
A: bay gio mang cua em co tot ko?
B: em ko biet nua
B: luc nay luc khac

[II]
A: em co the tro thanh nguoi singapore di.
B: em ko thich tro thanh nguoi sing
B: anh che em kia

[III]
B:that su neu co ai that su yeu e

The background is probably I asked her whether she wants to marry singaporean or not.

jackbl
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Can intro me your VN frens so that i can learn from them too :confused:

Fortunately I have vdict.com and some VN friends to help me.

jackbl
05-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Your sms/sentence very chim, I also no HIEU :confused: :eek:

[I]
A: bay gio mang cua em co tot ko?
B: em ko biet nua
B: luc nay luc khac

[II]
A: em co the tro thanh nguoi singapore di.
B: em ko thich tro thanh nguoi sing
B: anh che em kia

[III]
B:that su neu co ai that su yeu e

The background is probably I asked her whether she wants to marry singaporean or not.

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Your sms/sentence very chim, I also no HIEU :confused: :eek:

trở thành = become
màng = internet

To Jackl: My VN friends were actually introduced to me by the WLs here. However, I have to keep the secrets for these WLs as they don't want their friends in VN knows what are they doing in Singapore! So it is kind of complicate if I introduce them to you.

bernie
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
anh hay lam nha.. can help to translate??

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 04:53 PM

you go clean the house (lam nha = 做家事)

lovesprout
05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Background: this series of sms originated from an event that I promised a girl $200 to help her come to Singapore, but later I found out that she has another boyfriend here so I didn’t want to give her money anymore. Then, she became angry at me.

Ban gai anh la ai ma biet em co ban trai o sin nguoi do that la noi bay em ko co ban trai ma ban gai anh biet em co ban trai that la tuyet vay ma em ko biet em co ban trai that buon vi minh co ban trai ma minh khong biet.

Who is your girlfriend? how does she know I have boyfriend in Singapore? That person really made it up (noi bay = 亂講). I don’t have boyfriend how come your girlfriend knows I have. If things are really like that, it would be really great, but I don’t know I have boyfriend. I am really sad because I have boyfriend but I don’t know.

Ang kg tin em thi thoi con em thi kg gat anh dau.

If you don’t trust me, that is fine (thi thoi = 罷了), but I still did not cheat you at all.

Anh cho hay anh kg cho la huyen cua anh anh dung hoi em ai cho em tien em kg thich anh hoi nhieu ma sao anh hoi hoai vay

You give me money or not is your business. Don’t ask me who (else) give me money. I don’t like you ask a lot. Why you ask me continuously like that?

200 dola cua may lon qua may cho ma may di bye

Your 200 dollars is too big for me. You bastard, you go away. Lesson learned: when they reprimand you, they don’t call you “anh” anymore. Instead, they used “may”, which means “you”. Cho ma = bastard.

Buikia
05-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi guys,
Keep up the good work in sharing your knowledge with us.
Just a suggestion if you guys can help to put the english defination next to the viet word(like what Rockviet does) it would really help newbies like me!
Hope it is not too much of a request :D

By Rockviet

Just a question: that = true , what is su? is it supposed to used as 2 words to mean true?

KangTuo
05-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Just a question: that = true , what is su? is it supposed to used as 2 words to mean true?

thật sự = truely, proper, real

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Singapore’s tourism allure increases
===========================================
Compiled by Hong Nguyen

Cheap airfares and attractive discounts lured 17 percent more Vietnamese tourists to Singapore in the first five months of this year than in the same period last year.

In May alone, the number of Vietnamese tourists who traveled to Singapore rose by 12 percent year-on-year to 20,000 arrivals, Jin Chwen Ong, Indochina region director of the Singapore Tourism Board told Saigon Times.

In the first five months of the year, some 101,000 Vietnamese holidaymakers took mini-breaks in Singapore, Ong said.

He attributed the growth to the Singapore Tourism Board’s global marketing campaign, “2009 Reasons to Enjoy Singapore,” which includes cheap package tours, services and airfares.

International tourists, including those from Vietnam, are also attracted by the annual “Great Singapore Sales” promotion from May 29 to July 26 when shops discount their merchandise by up to 70 percent, he said.

The Singapore Tourism Board has cooperated with a number of Vietnamese travel agencies to offer discount tours that include Singapore shopping vouchers worth up to S$209 (US$144).

“We will maintain our expectations for growth of 10 to 15 percent in the number of Vietnamese tourist arrivals to Singapore this year,” Ong said.

Vietnam was last year the fastest-growing segment of Singapore’s inbound tourism market. The city-state welcomed 240,000 Vietnamese visitors last year, an increase of 17 percent over 2007.

In related news, mobile phone manufacturer Sony Ericsson is offering Vietnamese mobile phone users a chance to win 8,804 prizes, including four three-day trips for two to Singapore. Entry to the competition is free when purchasing a Sony Ericsson product before July 31.

The main prize includes VND100 million ($5,846) to spend shopping during the winner’s stay in Singapore, Sai Gon Tiep Thi (Sai Gon Marketing) newspaper reported.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi,

i found from internet that BECOME = trở nên. Are both trở nên and trở thành the same meaning?

trở thành = become
màng = internet

To Jackl: My VN friends were actually introduced to me by the WLs here. However, I have to keep the secrets for these WLs as they don't want their friends in VN knows what are they doing in Singapore! So it is kind of complicate if I introduce them to you.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Bernie, let us know what u sms to the gal before she reply the below????

My interpretation could be "You are very good leh"

you go clean the house (lam nha = 做家事)

KangTuo
06-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi,

i found from internet that BECOME = trở nên. Are both trở nên and trở thành the same meaning?

trở nên = become, get, go

trở nên lanh = it turned cold
trở nên gia = grow old

trở thành = become

trở thành ban - become friends

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Vietnam seizes gender books to fight sex imbalance
Reuters

Vietnam's government has seized scores of locally published books on how to choose a baby's gender as it faces a problem of boys outnumbering girls.

State newspapers said on Friday some 27 publications, which have been widely available in bookshops and on newsstands, were confiscated. Like in many Asian agriculture-based countries, there is a traditional preference for male children in Vietnam.

Vietnam has a birthrate of 112 boys for every 100 girls, and it has banned health facilities from making gender diagnosis, the Lao Dong daily quoted Duong Quoc Trong, deputy head of the Population Department, as saying.

Vietnam's population has now reached 86.5 million, up 1.5 percent from 2007, making its the 13th most populous nation in the world.

The country has restricted families of state employees to two children, and threatens violators with punishments that range from fines to suspension from the political party.

Many people who are employed outside the state-run sector, however, tend to have a third child.

Neighboring China, with the world's biggest population straining scarce land, water and energy supplies, has restricted most families to one child since the late 1970s.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks. Can you give more examples of trở thành??? When to use trở thành and when to use trở nên???

trở nên = become, get, go

trở nên lanh = it turned cold
trở nên gia = grow old

trở thành = become

trở thành ban - become friends

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi, i think she dun dare to scold u BASTARD.... could be misunderstanding....

my interpretation : MAY CHO MA MAY DI BYE= YOU GIVE OR YOU GO, BYE.

If she scold u bastard, u wan to let the matter rest??? :D :eek: :mad:
200 dola cua may lon qua may cho ma may di bye

Your 200 dollars is too big for me. You bastard, you go away. Lesson learned: when they reprimand you, they don’t call you “anh” anymore. Instead, they used “may”, which means “you”. Cho ma = bastard.

KangTuo
06-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks. Can you give more examples of trở thành??? When to use trở thành and when to use trở nên???

I got limited knowledge and resources to give more examples in the area

i can get alot examples on 'liem chim' and 'bu cu' :p:p :D

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:48 AM
My interpretation is that u can use THAT or THAT SU.

Another example, ANGRY = giận, tức giận
U may use either one :D

thật sự = truely, proper, real

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Today u GOOD boy ha. Come here to give a hand on translation :D You have improved alot........... surpassing me and catching up with LOVESPROUT :p;)

I got limited knowledge and resources to give more examples in the area

i can get alot examples on 'liem chim' and 'bu cu'

KangTuo
06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Lesson learned: when they reprimand you, they don’t call you “anh” anymore. Instead, they used “may”, which means “you”.

'tao' and 'may' is more intimidate than 'anh' and 'em'
if she use 'minh' and 'toi' and 'ban', then it means she is not close to you liao.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:54 AM
No more TRUNG NGUYEN coffee in singapore :confused::(

Vietnam considers suspending coffee exports

Tuoi Tre
Vietnam is considering suspending coffee exports after world coffee prices plunged to the lowest in three years.

As the world’s second largest producer of robusta coffee beans, Vietnam’s earnings have been dented by the recent fall in coffee bean export prices. Robusta coffee beans were trading for US$1,245 a ton in London on Monday, half the price of early 2008.

Coffee farmers are only receiving about VND21,800 ($1.20) a kilogram for their beans.

Vietnam Coffee and Cocoa Association Chairman Luong Van Tu on Tuesday called on domestic coffee bean exporters to temporarily halt trade. The association is planning an emergency meeting to discuss the situation, Tu said.

Speculation in coffee beans is making global coffee bean prices difficult to predict, he said.

In London, coffee prices for beans for July delivery fell by as much as $92 a ton in the space of five days to reach $1,441 a ton on June 18.

The price slump meant Vietnamese coffee exporters were making a loss of VND1.2 million ($67.50) a ton, Tu said.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam exported 741,000 tons of coffee beans in the first six months this year to reap $1.1 billion, 12 percent less than in the first half of last year.

However, world coffee bean prices are expected to recover in the next three months because Brazil – the world’s biggest coffee producer – is reportedly facing a poor coffee harvest because of bad weather. The world’s coffee processors will also soon begin stockpiling coffee beans for next year.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 12:57 AM
I have asked a few gals, if the gals address u by "TAO/MAY" she is not intimidate with u, she distant from you or sounds RUDE...... this one I can confirm, chop and sign :D

Only very good friends will use TAO/MAY between them....

'tao' and 'may' is more intimidate than 'anh' and 'em'
if she use 'minh' and 'toi' and 'ban', then it means she is not close to you liao.

jackbl
06-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Sociologist explains burden of ‘traditional values’ on women
================================================

Little headway has been made to improve the social status of women, despite the fact that many of them are their family’s breadwinners, said Khuat Thu Hong, head of the Institute for Social Development Studies.

The sharing of housework duties has remained unequal between husbands and wives with the burden still slanted heavily towards the latter, Hong said, citing several recent studies conducted by the institute.

Many women have missed out on professional promotion opportunities due to the overwhelming amount of time and effort they must put into housework, Hong said. In rural areas, some women work for up to 18 hours per day, according to studies she cited.

The time men spent on housework was less than one third of the time women spent doing chores, Hong said.

But what really worried Hong was the way society perceives household duties.

Men are praised if they do housework, but people just take it for granted that women do it, Hong said.

“This is irrational and unjust,” she said.

She said it is time people changed their perceptions about traditional and modern values and the roles of women.

“Is it necessary to preserve traditional values by taking it for granted that women always sacrifice for their families?” Hong said.

Hong cited an example in which the traditional significance of the family meal is lost once women are left alone to do all the cooking and washing of dishes.

“That simply indicates selfishness and unfairness,” she said.

Women have also remained vulnerable to domestic violence, Hong said.

A joint-study conducted by the Institute for Social Development Studies and the Center for Studies and Applied Sciences in Gender-FamilyWomen and Adolescents (CSAGA) had indicated that domestic violence towards women has been on the rise over the last decade, Hong said.

The first nationwide survey of Vietnamese families, conducted by Vietnam's Institute of Family and Gender Studies and UNICEF, also said last year that men still dominate households, and domestic violence occurs in 20 percent of marriages with women and children being the overwhelming majority of victims.

This problem remains behind closed doors, however, without adequate intervention by the police or social services because couples fear “losing face,” or do not want to “wash their dirty linen in public,” the survey said.

Vietnam has for millennia been a traditionally rural and patriarchal society, where Confucian values stressed the family unit and dictated that the young respect their elders, and that women are obedient to their husbands.

Hong said society should embrace more open and practical attitudes towards family models in the modern age.

The 2008 UNICEF report said the number of three-generation households in Vietnam was decreasing, possibly due to industrialization.

Family Day, falling on June 28 each year, was initiated in Vietnam in 2001.

A golden anniversary celebration was held Saturday in Hanoi’s Co Nhue Commune for 40 couples.

In Ho Chi Minh City, an array of activities also took place at the September 23rd Park, drawing huge attendance of many families.

asiancigar
06-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Vietnam has a birthrate of 112 boys for every 100 girls, and it has banned health facilities from making gender diagnosis,

Wah........ no wonder I get stabbing looks from VN men when in HCM.

Cum to think about it....... EVERYTIME i scooby doo one of their women....... some poor guy has to spend the night masturbating...... hehehe

Cheerz
AC

lovesprout
06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for that. Can I ask u again what "phep vong" means =?

I believe "vong" should be "uong"
Phep means "permit"

Khong duoc phep uong bia: Drinking beer is not allowed.

lovesprout
06-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi, i think she dun dare to scold u BASTARD.... could be misunderstanding....

my interpretation : MAY CHO MA MAY DI BYE= YOU GIVE OR YOU GO, BYE.

If she scold u bastard, u wan to let the matter rest??? :D :eek: :mad:

In fact, I am also not very sure. I got the meaning of "chó má" from vdict. It means "dog". Because I didn't know the meaning of this sms when I received it, I didn't feel angry at all. By the time my Tieng Viet allowed me to read this sms, I already lost contact with the girl.

KangTuo
06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I have asked a few gals, if the gals address u by "TAO/MAY" she is not intimidate with u, she distant from you or sounds RUDE...... this one I can confirm, chop and sign :D

Only very good friends will use TAO/MAY between them....

confusing confusing :confused::confused:

Tao/May means she is trying to distant herself from you yet they use it with very good friend.

I see one gal chat with her very close friend and she use Tao/May.
I asked her, she say she use Tao/May to those very close friend

I encountered a gal (fromHM) using 'Minh/Toi/Ban' who try to distant away from me after some argument

Buikia
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM

"Anh hay lam nha"
According to my living viet dict, you are right! :p

jackbl
07-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Yes, thats their culture....

my gf use tao/may to talk to her younger sis, but called her elder sis CHI and herself as EM....

Tao/May means she is trying to distant herself from you yet they use it with very good friend.

I see one gal chat with her very close friend and she use Tao/May.
I asked her, she say she use Tao/May to those very close friend

I encountered a gal (fromHM) using 'Minh/Toi/Ban' who try to distant away from me after some argument

Honey Boon
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
agreed as I withnessed before. But when tao/may used by your em in her sms or conversation, most likely she is angry because money not enuf :D

Yes, thats their culture....

my gf use tao/may to talk to her younger sis, but called her elder sis CHI and herself as EM....

jackbl
08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
The thread is again very quiet... let me inject some life into it :D

I get to know 1 sentence saying something like 白头谐老.... but I cant confirmed. Anyone can help to translate it into vietnamese words with sign and its meaning????

HAI DUA YEU NHAU CHUNG HAI MAI DAU.

jackbl
08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Vietnam ranks fifth in happiness index
========================================

Compiled by Minh Phat
A global survey of “happiness” has placed Vietnam fifth out of 143 nations.

The “The Happy Planet Index 2.0: Why Good Lives Don’t Have to Cost the Earth,” released Saturday by the New Economics Foundation, also placed Vietnam at the top of the list of Asian nations.

The New Economics Foundation said the survey results don’t show how “happy” a country’s people are. Instead the survey “shows the relative efficiency with which nations convert the planet’s natural resources into long and happy lives for their citizens.”

The foundation weighed the life expectancy and people's perceived happiness against their environmental impact in the 143 countries that are home to 99 percent of the world’s population.

In the latest “sustainable well-being” survey, the Central American nation of Costa Rica topped the index, followed by the Caribbean island nations of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica.

Guatemala in Central America was fourth on the list.

The New Economics Foundation said people living in the number five country on the index, Vietnam, had a life expectancy of 73.7 years. The survey also found 65 percent of Vietnamese people said they were happy and satisfied with their lives.

In the number one country, Costa Rica, people had an average life expectancy of 78.5 years and 85 percent of those surveyed said they were happy.

Developed nations performed poorly in the index, largely because of environmental factors.

Italy ranked 69th, France 71st, Britain 74th, Japan 75th, Canada 89th, Australia 102nd, Russia 108th and the U.S. 114th.

Zimbabwe was last at number 143.

However, sociologist Andrea Fonseca cautioned happiness could not be calculated just by looking at life expectancy and environmental practices.

Fonseca said Vietnam’s high happiness rating "has a lot to do with social imagination." Costa Rica has a peaceful reputation as it does not have an army and its national slogan is "pure life," she said.

Nic Marks, founder of the New Economics Foundation’s center for well-being, urged nations to make a collective global change before "our high-consuming lifestyles plunge us into the chaos of irreversible climate change."

Last year, global market research firm Nielsen announced Vietnam had the highest level of happiness in the Asia-Pacific region.

jackbl
08-07-2009, 12:19 AM
For gals who didnt have Credit card in VN to buy tickets :)

Jetstar launches new online payment service
========================================

Compiled by Hong Nguyen

Tickets on Jetstar Pacific flights can now be booked and paid for online using debit and automated teller machine (ATM) cards.

The budget airline told Saigon Times the new payment method became available on July 5. Passengers with ATM Connection 24 cards issued by the Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam (Vietcombank) can now pay for their tickets online at Cheap flights - Jetstar Airways (http://www.jetstar.com), the newspaper reported.

Customers need to register with Vietcombank for an online payment code before booking on the Jetstar website.

Vietcombank has issued more than three million ATM cards, with about 300,000 cards registered for online payments, according to the air carrier.

Jetstar customers have been able to pay for tickets online with Visa, MasterCard, JCB and AMEX since 2007 and online bookings currently account for one-fifth of the airline’s ticket sales.

Customers can also pay for Jetstar tickets at Vietnam Technological and Commercial Joint Stock Bank (Techcombank) branches.

Jetstar Pacific Chief Commercial Officer Nguyen Thi Thuy Binh said the airline was working with its other banks to enable more ATM cards to be used to pay for tickets online.

The budget carrier is offering one-way domestic tickets from VND250,000 (US$14) until 12 p.m. on July 10 for customers booking online with ATM and credit cards, Vietnam News Agency reported.

Jetstar Pacific, the second largest carrier in Vietnam, carried 28 percent more passengers in the first half of this year, year-on-year.

The carrier currently operates some 42 flights a day to domestic destinations, including Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, the central cities of Danang and Nha Trang and northern Hai Phong City.

lovesprout
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
In this conversation, we were talking about karaoke in Vietnam

Anh: o do (over there) co gai (female) phu vu (serve) khach (guest) kg?
Em: ko co dau (It doesn’t have). neu (if) hat (sing) trong (inside) phong (room) thi minh toan (all of us) quyen doi voi phong do
Em: em rat thich (I like it very much) nen hau nhu ranh la (就) di hat (go singing)

My question 1: What is “quyen doi voi phong do”?
My question 2: What is “nen hau nhu ranh”?

casannova03
08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=jackbl;3893872]

my interpretation :

MAY CHO MA MAY DI BYE= You go give your mother...bye!!
QUOTE]

Have anyone thought that it could mean what i have translated as above??

Just my translation.....may be wrong....:D

Anyway, I have read in a book somewhere that the use of "may" is usually associated with an angry person or used in an angry situation.

I.E....(normal situation)

What do you want to do?
Em/Anh muon lam cai gi?

I.E...(angry situation)

What do you want to do?
May muon lam cai gi?

Example in our context.

What do you want to do? (normal situation)
你要做什么吗?

What do you want to do? (angry situation)
你现在到底要做什么?

I could be wrong here....just another view point......:D

bernie
09-07-2009, 12:00 AM

thanks bro jackbl. u r correct.

jackbl
09-07-2009, 12:02 AM
After reading the initial vietnamese phrase, I think that your translation also could be correct......."You think your $200 very big. You go give your mother..... Bye!!!"

[QUOTE=jackbl;3893872]

my interpretation :

MAY CHO MA MAY DI BYE= You go give your mother...bye!!
QUOTE]

Have anyone thought that it could mean what i have translated as above??

Just my translation.....may be wrong....:D

jackbl
10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
My guess only.......

Stick with that room

so ALMOST free

Em: ko co dau (It doesn’t have). neu (if) hat (sing) trong (inside) phong (room) thi minh toan (all of us) quyen doi voi phong do
Em: em rat thich (I like it very much) nen hau nhu ranh la (就) di hat (go singing)

lovesprout
10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
My guess only.......

Stick with that room

so ALMOST free

Thanks! I think your translation for the second one is correct. hau nhu = almost. The first one I am not so sure.

lovesprout
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Come to share some of my SMS which are still hot. If I made any mistakes in my translation, please let me know. I appreciate those bros who upped my points. Thanks!

Em: Chao anh buoi chieu, anh co khoe kg? anh da di lam viet chua? May hom nay anh kg nhan tin cho em, em buon qua.

Good afternoon. Are you all right? Have you gone to work? Many days you didn’t sms me, I am very sad.

Chieu = afternoon
May hom nay = several days
Nhan tin (or nt) = sms

Anh: Anh khoe lam. Vi em kg nt cho anh nen anh kg nt cho em. Gan day em co nhieu khach kg? Dung buon nhe.

I am very good. Because you didn’t sms me, so I didn’t sms you. Recently do you have a lot of customers? Don’t be sad.

Gan day = recently
Khach = customer

Em: Thinh thoang anh lai tham e la vui roi. A nha, dao nay khach kg nhieu.

Once in a while you come to visit me and I am happy. This period of time, there are not many customers.

Thinh thoang = once in a while, occasionally
Dao nay = This period of time; now

Anh: Nhu vay, em co tien tra tien nha kg? Dung quen em con thieu anh lam tinh mot lan nhe! Khi nao em dinh tra lai anh ha em?

Like that, do you have Money to pay for rent? Don’t forget you still owe me make love one time ah! When do you plan to return it to me?

Tien nha = rent for house
Thieu= owe
Mot lan= one time
Dinh = plan
Tra lai = return

Em: Tien nha thi 1 ngay 10 dong em co the tra duoc nhung em kg co tien goi ve nha em cung buon! No cua anh em nho ma em se tra cho anh.

My rent is only 10 dollar per day. I can pay for it, but I don’t have money to send back home, I am also sad. Your “1 shot” I still remember ma. I will return it you.

Goi ve= send back

jackbl
11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for sharing......Its almost PERFECT!!! CHEERS!!!!!!!!!! :D:p;)

Come to share some of my SMS which are still hot. If I made any mistakes in my translation, please let me know. I appreciate those bros who upped my points. Thanks!

Hurricane88
11-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Lovesprout, thank you for sharing...another great tieng viet expert...pls keep posting to share...:)

jackbl
11-07-2009, 09:20 AM
U also an expert.... When are u sharing??? :D :D :D

Lovesprout, thank you for sharing...another great tieng viet expert...pls keep posting to share...:)

Hurricane88
11-07-2009, 12:01 PM
U also an expert.... When are u sharing??? :D :D :D

hahaha...with so many tieng viet expert I can retire and hoc viec...normally I will just check with my long hair dictionary...after going to hcm so often, I find that Cantonese are quite widely spoken too...only thing is they dun speak amongst themselves...:)

jackbl
11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Sure? If they dun speak among themselves, they speak with who :confused: :eek:
after going to hcm so often, I find that Cantonese are quite widely spoken too...only thing is they dun speak amongst themselves...:)

jackbl
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
wat does the below words mean?

..with so many tieng viet expert I can retire and hoc viec...

Buikia
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Can anyone help with the below? (especially those in underline)
Thanks!

Bay gio chung ta kg the gap nhau vi cuoc song con nhieu kho khan, nhung e tin, tinh yeu cua chung ta se giup chung ta vuot qua tat ca.

Hurricane88
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Sure? If they dun speak among themselves, they speak with who :confused: :eek:

The vietnamese use tieng viet to communicate among themselves...those who can speak cantonese will speak to me in cantonese knowing my limited tieng viet...:)

Hurricane88
11-07-2009, 09:28 PM
wat does the below words mean?

Hoc viec = In the process of learning..:)

chen_zhen
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
this is a good thread to learn tieng viet.:)

lovesprout
11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Can anyone help with the below? (especially those in underline)
Thanks!

Bay gio chung ta kg the gap nhau vi cuoc song con nhieu kho khan, nhung e tin, tinh yeu cua chung ta se giup chung ta vuot qua tat ca.

Now we cannot meet each other because life [cuoc] is still [con] very difficult [kho khan]. However I believe our love will [se] help [giup] us overcome [vuot] everything [tat ca].

jackbl
14-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Although the article describe about PRC gals but this also happened to Viet gals..... For your knowledge......

当局首次破获团伙 “假结婚”延长居留
(2009-07-13)

● 陈天明
  过去几年,不少以14天观光签证(social visit pass)入境的外国女子,为长久居留,不惜向犯罪团伙买个新加坡“假老公”,通过“假婚姻”得逞。但这个 伎俩被贪污调查局识破,众多涉案者锒铛入狱。

所谓道高一尺、魔高一丈,“假老公介绍所”自有对策。

但邪不胜正,犯罪者难逃法网。贪污调查局在2005年11月接到有团伙利用“申请注册结婚”程序(fi ling of Notices of Marriage)帮助外国女性延长居留以牟利的报案。

助理局长洪绍亮两周前受访时说,这是当局首次破获有组织性地利用申请注册结婚程序的方法牟利,而且人数 之众,前所未有。

贪污调查局经过两个月查访,确定很多外国人不只一次向移民与关卡局申请延长逗留,并以将嫁给新加坡男子 作为申请理由,其中以中国女子居多。

更绝的是,很多婚姻注册申请是在她们获得居留延长后撤销,这使查案人员更有理由怀疑这类婚姻或注册申请 涉及不法勾当,纯粹为了博取居留延长。

申请婚姻注册时发假誓称已同居

查案人员根据申请文件填上的婚姻注册局认可的证婚人(solemniser)资料,向这些证婚人了解情 况,结果发现他们并未为这些中国女子证婚,也不曾被通知。

贪污调查局最后追查到由林健平(译音)当头目的团伙,并在2006年1月到芽笼18巷抓人 。

洪绍亮说,林健平和跑腿张文辉(译音)拒绝开门,但调查人员假装撤队,让他们以为风声已过而出门,结果落网 。林建平的另一个跑腿张锦伦(译音)闻风而潜逃出境,受到通缉。
  这个团伙利用在芽笼的活动网络,专为只获得短期逗留的外国女子安排新加坡“假老公”。这些“假老公”只 需把身份证交给林健平,让他们连同中国女子的护照资料填在婚姻注册表格上。中国女子每次交400元,“假老 公”每单生意酬劳是150元到200元。

除一叠延长居留申请表格和新加坡男子身份证外,查案人员也从林健平的“办事处”搜出一本以日记簿充当的 账簿,详细纪录每单生意,包括新加坡“假老公”和中国“假新娘”个人资料,让当局提控林建平和张文辉时证据 确凿。

查案人员也根据账簿里的客户资料抓人。洪绍亮说,账簿显示林建平的生意已做了大约1年,“这门生意,他 做了大约100多单”。

但他的一些早期“客户”因为各种理由已离境,无法查到下落,最终查到大约100人。

这百多人中,七八十个是新加坡男性,其余为中国女性,因此相信一半的中国女子已离开。被捕的新加坡男子 和中国女子,多因向移民与关卡局提供不实资料或非法使用身份证罪而坐牢1个月到9个月,但也有新加坡男子因 为“对象”已不在新加坡,而使当局在缺乏证据下只能给他们警告。

林健平被控8项唆使8个新加坡男子向移民与关卡局提供不实资料,以协助8个中国女子取得居留延长的罪名 ,在今年5月经审讯后,被判坐牢21个月。张文辉较早前已治罪,坐牢6个月。

lovesprout
14-07-2009, 10:43 AM
What does "du ma" means? I know it is something bad but I never know its meaning.

Another question I have in my mind is that one VN girl told me "big breast" in VN means bad luck. Therefore, if I touch her breast, I need to give her money to avoid her having bad luck. Is this true or not?

KangTuo
14-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Another question I have in my mind is that one VN girl told me "big breast" in VN means bad luck. Therefore, if I touch her breast, I need to give her money to avoid her having bad luck. Is this true or not?

you can also tell her that 'big cock' means bad luck. If they touch, they need to give money to avoid bad luck :D

naemlo
14-07-2009, 12:27 PM
What does "du ma" means? I know it is something bad but I never know its meaning.

Guess your ger from the south which this "du ma" is commonly used. It is very rude to use this. If any man in vietnam says this to me, he will be immediately lying on the street. But since it is common used by the gers, if it is joking, then it is ok but if she is serious, she will have fingers on her face.

"Du ma" is something "fuck your mother".

Hurricane88
14-07-2009, 02:21 PM

hahaha...this gal con you la...no such thing...only want to make more money from yoy....or tell you want to touch can, then pay lol....:)

du ma = is fuck your mother (as what namelo posted)

jackbl
18-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Some history of Vietnam War.........:eek:

越战是他永远的痛 麦纳马拉和他的十一个教训
================================================== ===============
(2009-07-12)

主导越战的美国前国防部长罗伯特·麦纳马拉(Robert McNamara)最近逝世。他生前虽拥有辉煌的国际金融界生涯,越南战争却一直是他心中的痛。麦纳马拉耗 尽余生,致力于向世人阐释美国在越战中的角色,并且为他犯下的错误致歉。

不少专家认为,越战的教训依然可用于伊拉克和阿富汗的局势,麦纳马拉的经验对美国现实政治仍具借鉴意义 。

这里要说的不是万人迷摇滚天王麦克杰逊,而是主导越战升级造成生灵涂炭而遭千夫所指,差点万劫不复的美国前 国防部长罗伯特·麦纳马拉(Robert McNamara)。

麦纳马拉是在7月6日星期一在华盛顿家里去世,享年93岁。

从1961到1968年,麦纳马拉在肯尼迪和约翰逊两任总统的时代,担任过七年的国防部长,是美国在职 最久的防长。越战的发生和升级都和他密切相关,有人甚至把越战称为“麦纳马拉的战争”。

在这期间,麦纳马拉也参与侵略古巴和美俄导弹危机的决策,监督美国庞大的核武和军售计划,扩大国防部长 角色和插手外交等,堪称20世纪美国最有影响力的国防部长。可是,人们一提到他,总是把他和越战联在一起。 麦纳马拉已成为这段惨痛历史的经典象征。

越战早期的麦纳马拉是个强势的乐观主义者,相信凭着他指挥的强大兵力、犀利的武器科技加上强大的后勤势力, 可以将共产势力打败。
  可是,随着兵力增加而收益递减,麦纳马拉在1967年开始对美国的越南政策感到怀疑,不再相信美军可以 在越南丛林打赢游击战,可是,他还得在公众面前伪装自信。1968年2月,麦纳马拉终于在极度沮丧(有说是 精神衰弱)中离开五角大楼。

之后他担任了长达13年的世界银行行长,致力改善发展中国家的民生,他还曾担任《华盛顿邮报》董事长, 后期也致力于推动核裁军。但越南战争一直是他心中挥不去的阴影。

然而,卸任防长后20多年,麦纳马拉对越战一直三缄其口,直到79岁高龄,他终于良心不安,在1995 年出版取名《回顾:越南悲剧和教训》( “In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam”)的回忆录,公开他反思越战的心得,以忏悔的语气说:“我们在肯尼迪和约翰逊任内,自认秉 承我国原则和传统行事,但我们错了,错得很厉害。”

这本书揭示了他因越战备受心灵及良心折磨的心路历程。读者可上网详阅。若嫌篇幅太长,那么,只读第一章 前言和最后一章《越南的教训》就能略知梗概。

从越战中得到的教训

主持越战无异是麦纳马拉的个人恶梦。但他把美国在越南的悲剧归因于当时的反共大环境和外交及军事政策的 误判。

麦纳马拉在书中列举了11条主要原因:

一、美国错误判断北约和越共的动机,高估了越南行动的威胁。

二、美国把自己的经验套到南越身上,对南越的政治力量作出完全错误的判断。

三、美国低估了民族主义对北越和越共的推动力。
  四、美国在越南的错误,反映了对该地区的历史,文化,人民的政治信仰及其领导人的个性特征与习惯的无知 。

五、美国没有意识到现代化,高科技的军事装备,军队和理论,在与非正规,被高度激发起来的人民运动的对 抗中,其作用是有局限的。

六、行政部门在决定大规模卷入军事冲突前,没有和国会与人民进行开诚布公的讨论。

七、由于决策者在越战问题上向美国人解释不力,一旦出现变数和困难,便无法获得人民的广泛 支持。

八、决策者没有意识到美国并不是万能和无所不知的,美国无权依照自己的意愿去改造别的国家 。

九、在美国的安全未受到直接威胁下,其在越南的行动应该与多国部队配合,并争取国际社会的支持,但美国 没有做到这一点。

十、美国没有意识到在国际事务中有一些问题是一时无法解决的。

十一、在所有这些错误中最基本的错误是,行政部门没能组织一个跨部门的高层领导班子去有效处理错综复杂 的政治军事问题。这种组织缺陷使承受了极大的风险和长期处于动用军队的紧张压力下。

伊拉克战争期间编导==战争纪录片
2003年,麦纳马拉以88岁高龄,在独立制片家莫里斯编导的纪录片《战争的迷雾:麦纳马拉生命中的11个 教训》(“The Fog of War:Eleven Lessons From the Life of Robert McNamara”)中现身说法,追忆自己的政治生涯,但重点还是越战。

顾名思义,年已古稀的麦纳马拉再次感怀幽叹美国政府当局者迷,没看清楚战争是怎么一回事,而在越南种下 大错。

这部影片问世于美国进兵伊拉克的同时,很快就给人联想的空间。它获得了年度奥斯卡最佳纪录片奖。本地电 缆电视台两年前播映过,随着麦纳马拉逝世,片子重播指日可待。  

麦纳马拉在回忆录里写道:有人说冷战结束后的世界与过去的世界已大不相同,所以,越南的教训将不再适用或与 21世纪无关,但他不同意这说法。

他说,指出这些错误,可以让美国看清越南的教训,使美国能够站在一个新的角度上,应用它们来审视冷战后 的世界。

他为冷战后的世界和平与安全勾勒出以下图景:“在这个世界里,国家关系应建立在法律准则之上,国家安全 将由一个集体安全体系来保障。防止冲突、解决冲突和维护和平的任务必须由一个多边组织来承担,即一个重组的 、强大的联合国,辅以一些新的、扩大的地区性组织。”

麦纳马拉认为今后国与国之间的关系将直接趋向于五个目标:

一、向所有国家提供反对外部扩张的保证——国界将不应用武力来改变。

二、使各国国内少数民族集团的权力得到法律的保护,为改善他们的境遇提供条件,以免其诉诸 暴力。

三、建立一个机构解决地区和国家间的冲突,避免由超级大国单方面采取行动。

四、增加对发展中国家的技术和经济援助,帮助他们加快社会和经济发展速度。

五、将保护全球环境作为我们全体发展的保证。

对美国现实政治

仍具借鉴意义

同样地,不少专家认为,越南的教训依然可用于伊拉克和阿富汗的局势,麦纳马拉的经验对美国现实政治仍具 借鉴意义。

这几年,媒体已习惯把伊拉克和越南相提并论,并把被伊战搞得焦头烂额的前防长拉姆斯菲尔德和麦纳马拉相 比。

而布什政权的单边主义和“全武打”干涉主义更是为人诟病和与麦纳马拉所鼓吹的集体安全体制 反其道而行。

奥巴马总统最近在开罗发表讲话,表示美国将不再沿用过去的干涉主义,而作为上世纪美国干涉主义象征人物 的麦纳马拉的去世,在某种程度上或许象征了一个时代的终结。

西方通讯社和美国媒体在麦纳马拉逝世后刊登的讣闻都突出他是越战升级主导者。不过,多家主流媒体包括《 华盛顿邮报》和《洛杉矶时报》的社论和时评则以比较宽容的语气,呼吁国人从麦纳马拉的经验中吸取教训和记住 他晚年对追求世界和平所作的努力。

有人因成功影响一个国家,也有人以失败影响一个国家。麦纳马拉无疑属于后者。
不过,他晚年勇于认错和谆谆善诱,诲人不倦劝导美国当政者如何避免越南悲剧重演,还是叫人肃然 起敬的。

法新社记者就麦纳马拉逝世试探越南政府的反应,越南外交部发言人简单地回应:“愿他的灵魂 安息!”

说不上一笑泯恩仇,但麦纳马拉真的可以安息了!

jackbl
19-07-2009, 11:39 AM
The spirit of achieving education is admirable even though they are poor......

Yearning for higher education
==================================

Not everybody who sat this year’s university entrance exams came straight from school. For some who failed last year’s exams, the key to a better education is to never give up.

Nguyen Van Lam starts work at 7 a.m. at a leatherwear factory in Thu Duc District, Ho Chi Minh City. He works until 4:30 p.m. and returns to his room in a boarding house that he shares with seven other workers. The 19-year-old then goes to a nearby market to buy vegetables to cook for dinner. By 8 p.m. he finishes his chores.

The last month has been an important time for Lam who has been working in HCMC to save money to study. The final round of tertiary entrance exams finished Thursday and the ambitious young man from the central province of Quang Tri, who has his heart set on a career in the military, had studied every night after work.

“I’m doing all the reviews on my own, as I can’t afford fees at preparatory centers,” Lam, who recently sat the exams for the Academy of Border Defense in the southern province of Ba Ria-Vung Tau, says.

According to Lam, his monthly income, including overtime pay is VND1.3 million (US$73.01), but his expenses - rent, meals, electricity and water - cost him VND500,000 ($28.08).

“Doing farming in our hometown [in the central province of Quang Tri], my parents can hardly afford to send my two younger brothers to school, so I can’t ask them for money [to take preparatory courses].

“I have borrowed books and other materials from students living nearby [for studying]. That’s the only way for me to do it,” he adds.

He has been working at the factory since he failed last year’s exams into the Academy of Military Politics so he could save money and prepare for this year’s tertiary entrance exams.

“I want to become an army officer, or work in some field related to the military,” he says.

Like Lam, many candidates who sat the entrance exams into universities and colleges which started early this month and finished Thursday, are not coming straight from high school, but have already gone out to earn a living, while continuing to study with the hope of attaining a higher education.

Determination

Twenty-year-old Nguyen Thanh Tinh has worked for Vina Sung Shin Company for a monthly salary of VND1.5 million ($84.25) since he failed the entrance exams into Nong Lam University last year.

Tinh says he has been working to save money for this year’s exams. The young man from the central province of Ninh Thuan, in fact, spent all his savings of VND1.8 million ($101.09) on a preparatory course at Nguon Sang Center.

Four days a week he rode his bicycle 30 minutes to the center, and spent hours studying at home at night. Tinh says some days he worked for his company into the night, but never skipped studying, as he wants to pass the exams this year.

Le Lanh, who lives with Tinh at a boarding house in Thu Duc District, says: “Tinh takes pains to study... He works making shoe soles which is very poisonous... Some days he looked so pale, but he would study till 3 a.m.”

While studying hard, Tinh tries to save as much money as possible, according to Lanh, saying that he only eats two meals a day and most of them are instant noodles.

Nguyen Thi Thu Huong, who is working at a District 6 embroidery plant, sat Thursday’s entrance exams for Nguyen Tat Thanh College.

Huong says last year she delayed taking the exams, because her parents were too poor to afford it. However, with her savings from working all year, she hopes she can make it this time.

The same story goes for Vu Thi Dinh, who is working in the Central Highlands province of Dak Lak for the Vietnam Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development.

“My family depends on growing coffee on a small piece of land; they have never had much money. So when I graduated from high school last year I went out to work to support them,” says Dinh.

Like many other workers with hopes of a tertiary education, Dinh didn’t have the money or the time to take preparatory courses so she spent the last few months at her desk until the wee hours studying. She hopes to be accepted into Nguyen Tat Thanh College.

Source: Tuoi Tre

jackbl
22-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Anyone can help out on this??? Thanks in advance :)

I get to know 1 sentence saying something like 白头谐老.... but I cant confirmed. Anyone can help to translate it into vietnamese words with sign and its meaning????

vigo69
22-07-2009, 03:54 PM
can any bro out there help me translate?
co phai la ong xa ko? tks

VietnamLover
22-07-2009, 03:57 PM

The meaning is "two person are in love until they die".

VietnamLover
22-07-2009, 04:00 PM
can any bro out there help me translate?
co phai la ong xa ko? tks

Are you husband?

jackbl
22-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I got a sms from a gal i sit previously.... when I go to the pub again and didnt see her initially then when she see me sit with another gal, she sms :
"A co nguoi roi phai kg? sao e lai a kg them dom luon vay"

Anyone can translate that? Thanks :)

Reaper
22-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I got a sms from a gal i sit previously.... when I go to the pub again and didnt see her initially then when she see me sit with another gal, she sms :

Anyone can translate that? Thanks

:eek: :eek: You mean to say you dont know the above statement???? :eek: :eek: In this thread you say 2, no one dare to say 1

jackbl
22-07-2009, 04:44 PM

The meaning is "two person are in love until they die".

Hi Sir, are u able to write them in vietnamese words with sign???

Which words mean "until they die"???

jackbl
22-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Cannot lidat SUAN me leh... I know some and dun know some ma.... :( I just wan to bring more life to this thread so that more participation will benefit all bro visiting this thread :)

:eek: :eek: You mean to say you dont know the above statement???? In this thread you say 2, no one dare to say 1

chanyboy
23-07-2009, 01:38 AM
hi guys sori to interrupt a bit..
is internet access in vn/HCM good? Broadband..? I'm trying to figure out if can login back to Sg on good bandwidth reliable connection for work purpose..

appreciate the feedbacks (PM wud do, in order not to clog up this thread..)

Hurricane88
23-07-2009, 06:35 AM
hi guys sori to interrupt a bit..
is internet access in vn/HCM good? Broadband..? I'm trying to figure out if can login back to Sg on good bandwidth reliable connection for work purpose..

appreciate the feedbacks (PM wud do, in order not to clog up this thread..)

Yes. Good enough...bandwidth offered 4mb or 10mb similar to sin...even free wifi at most hotel also can do work...now more stable dun go up and down...reply here so that all can read and sure next time still got ppl ask...:)

chanyboy
23-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Yes. Good enough...bandwidth offered 4mb or 10mb similar to sin...even free wifi at most hotel also can do work...now more stable dun go up and down...reply here so that all can read and sure next time still got ppl ask...:)

kum sia kum sia..if no objection cont to share it's fine.

U fully retired?:confused:

VietnamLover
23-07-2009, 11:51 AM

You have a person already, right? Why i come you didn't take a glance at me?

jackbl
23-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you very much! Your language level really match your nickname...

A = You
co = have
nguoi = person (gal)
roi = already
phai kg? = right?

sao = why
e = I
lai = come
a = you
kg them = didnt add
dom = glance / look
luon vay = Expression words (i dun know how to explain)

E.g. kg them mua = didnt buy (u buy already once)

You have a person already, right? Why i come you didn't take a glance at me?

jackbl
24-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi all, i came across something interesting so would like to share w u ppl here:

Idiomatic Expressions and Slangs from Sài G̣n
======================================

bà tám: a woman who gossips

bác = tiền = money

bèo
Definition:
1. dirt cheap
2. bad quality

bó tay
Definition: 1) chịu thua = to yield; to give up; đầu hàng = to surrender
2) một việc khó thực hiện = an impossible task to do
3) không có ǵ hay/tốt hơn = nothing is better than this

(cáo) giả nai
Definition:
giả vờ ngây thơ/vô tội = pretending to be innocent/meek/gentle

chảnh
Definition: -kiêu/kiêu căng, làm bộ = stuck up, snob
-lemon question (chanh= lemon, hỏi = diacritic mark)= literal translation from Vietnamese to English of how chảnh is spelled by Vietnamese (chanh hỏi chảnh)

chạy
Definition: to make a deal under the table, to bribe

chạy mất dép
Definition: to run away so fast due to fear

chết liền
Definition: to die immediately (literally)
Example: A: Chị có biết lái xe máy không?
B: Biết chết liền! (Nếu tôi biết th́ tôi chết liền! = Tôi không biết.)

choáng
Definition: 1) ngạc nhiên; sốc = surprised; shocked
2) impressive
Etymology:
Choáng, shortened from choáng váng, literally means shocked into a daze (blindness or deafness). When you are shocked, you are, of course, surprised and something that can shocked you is indeed impressive.

chuối
Definition: 1) xấu, dở, tệ = bad, awful, ugly
2) vụng về = clumsy; unskillful

dỏm
Definition: xấu, dở = bad quality

Hurricane88
25-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Dong near record low on concern inflation to quicken

Vietnam’s dong reached a record low on concern inflation will accelerate, deterring investors and prompting exporters to hold onto their dollars as a hedge against rising prices. Bonds gained.

The central bank told lenders to rein in credit as inflation is showing signs of quickening through the rest of the year, according to a statement on the bank’s website on July 15. Demand for the greenback has exceeded supply at Vietnamese banks as exporters are hoarding the dollar, the monetary authority said on July 10. Companies are unable to access dollars to pay bills, an importer said Wednesday.

“I would stay clear of the Vietnamese dong at this stage really,” Thio Chin Loo, a senior currency analyst at BNP Paribas SA, said Thursday in a Bloomberg Television interview. “Vietnam has problems with trying to control inflation, which was one of those bear-bugs of the currency over the past year.”

The dong slid to VND17,862 a dollar, an all-time low, before trading at VND17,813 as of 2:32 p.m. in Hanoi, according to prices from banks compiled by Bloomberg. The currency has weakened 1.8 percent this year.

Domestic banks can only supply about half of importers’ demand for US dollars, so “we’ve been forced to source the rest from the black market at an additional cost of 5 to 6 percent,” Le Phan Duc, deputy general director at Vietnam

Germany Steel Pipe Joint Stock Co., which imports raw materials from South Korea, Taiwan, China and Russia, said Wednesday.

Consumer prices

Gains in consumer prices have decelerated for 10 months to 3.9 percent in June, the slowest since January 2004, after reaching a peak of 28.3 percent in August, the fastest in Asia. The General Statistics Office in Hanoi may release July data as early as this week. BNP Paribas’ Loo predicted inflation may accelerate later this year.

Standard Chartered Plc’s Tai Hui, head of Southeast Asian economic research in Singapore, Thursday forecast the dong will slip to VND18,500 by the end of the year.

The State Bank of Vietnam fixed the reference rate at VND16,965 a dollar, compared with VND16,963 on Wednesday, according to its website. The currency is allowed to trade up to 5 percent on either side of the set rate.

Government bonds advanced Thursday, with the yield on the benchmark five-year note dropping 20 basis points to 9.57 percent, according to prices compiled by Bloomberg. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point.

“Some commercial lenders with idle cash have switched to bonds after the central bank told them to slow lending for the rest of the year,” Trinh Hoai Giang, deputy general director at the Ho Chi Minh City Securities Co. said by phone.

Source: Bloomberg

Hurricane88
25-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Wealthy and yet unhappy - how come, Singapore?
July 9, 2009 by admin

IT IS disturbing to read that Singapore ranked 49th in the Happy Planet Index 2.0 survey conducted by the New Economics Foundation (’Costa Ricans the ‘happiest worldwide”, Monday).

This is even though it was ranked fourth highest per capita income in the world by the International Monetary Fund last year, and third by the World Bank in 2007.

By all counts, we are a materially wealthy nation, so why are Singaporeans not happy with their lot? Singaporeans have access to the best of everything, yet they seem to indicate that they are not happy.

I wonder if this is why we often see grim faces on buses and the MRT. Are Singaporeans stressed out? Do they yearn for more, without finding it? Why are we, as a nation, not as happy as our poorer neighbours like Vietnam, for example, which ranked highest in Asia? Does our education system stress material success over achieving internal peace and happiness?

Curiously, Vietnam, with less material success than Singapore, ranked fifth in the index, and Costa Rica topped the survey.

At the same time, the wealthy and technologically advanced nations we like to emulate, such as the United States and Britain, ranked 114th and 74th respectively, even worse than Singapore. This clearly shows that material success does not guarantee happiness.

It is time that we made an effort to re-establish our priorities, learn to relax, appreciate what we have, smile, and be happy.

Anil Bhatia

Source: Straits Times

jackbl
25-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Why the income gap is unfair
==========================================

Though the majority of state workers earn low wages, there are senior officials that do little to benefit the country and still rake in hefty incomes with fat bonuses, allowances and bribes.

At the same time, many of our real workers are struggling for their next meal on salaries of VND1-2 million (US$56-112) or less per month.

These are workers who have built our nation and kept us fed through thick and thin. They include those who slave away in our factories, toil in our fields and do the heavy lifting at construction sights. Even new college graduates and lower-rung state office workers can’t make ends meet.

Relevant authorities must face up to the task of building a wage scale that can offer any employed person a stable life.

Although the basic wage in Vietnam is still low, increasing payrolls are weighing heavily on the state budget.

The Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs recently proposed raising the minimum wage to VND850,000 ($48) per person a month but the proposal has yet to be approved.

But even if the minimum wage is raised, the problems will persist until the administrative system is restructured and the state workforce is reduced in a reasonable way so we don’t have so many people performing the same tasks.

Pay raises should only be for those who really work, especially for manual laborers and health, education and science workers.

Only then will our state workers see the true benefits of hard work. And only then will our nation be developed.

By Thanh Thao

jackbl
26-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Vietnam among ten countries for IT
Vietnam has been listed in the top ten most attractive countries for software processing for the first time, it was announced recently.

With 21 million users, Vietnam is also in the top 20 countries for most Internet users.

Vietnam was ranked 12th rank for its rate of software copyright infringement.

Vietnam’s software industry has made a big leap forward, occupying a higher rank in the global software and IT map, said Le Truong Tung, deputy chairman of the Ho Chi Minh City Computer Association, at a conference held July 15.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan, Vietnam has many advantages to develop software technology, IT and communications.

Software firms, however, should place more emphasis on training centers to provide suitable staff instead of just complaining about a lack of IT skills crunch, he added.

The association, in collaboration with the International Data Group, held a conference on Vietnam’s IT and communications industry outlook in 2009.

By Ai Van, Kien Giang – Translated by Sao Ly

jackbl
27-07-2009, 12:09 PM

bà tám: a woman who gossips

bác = tiền = money

bèo
Definition:
1. dirt cheap
2. bad quality

bó tay
Definition: 1) chịu thua = to yield; to give up; đầu hàng = to surrender
2) một việc khó thực hiện = an impossible task to do
3) không có ǵ hay/tốt hơn = nothing is better than this

(cáo) giả nai
Definition:
giả vờ ngây thơ/vô tội = pretending to be innocent/meek/gentle

chảnh
Definition: -kiêu/kiêu căng, làm bộ = stuck up, snob
-lemon question (chanh= lemon, hỏi = diacritic mark)= literal translation from Vietnamese to English of how chảnh is spelled by Vietnamese (chanh hỏi chảnh)

chạy
Definition: to make a deal under the table, to bribe

chạy mất dép
Definition: to run away so fast due to fear

chết liền
Definition: to die immediately (literally)
Example: A: Chị có biết lái xe máy không?
B: Biết chết liền! (Nếu tôi biết th́ tôi chết liền! = Tôi không biết.)

choáng
Definition: 1) ngạc nhiên; sốc = surprised; shocked
2) impressive
Etymology:
Choáng, shortened from choáng váng, literally means shocked into a daze (blindness or deafness). When you are shocked, you are, of course, surprised and something that can shocked you is indeed impressive.

chuối
Definition: 1) xấu, dở, tệ = bad, awful, ugly
2) vụng về = clumsy; unskillful

dỏm
Definition: xấu, dở = bad quality[/QUOTE]

đẹp như mơ = as beautiful as a dream
đẹp như siêu mẫu = as beautiful as a super model
đẹp như tiên = as beautiful as a fairy lady
đẹp không ai bằng = no one can be as beautiful

ghẹ = chick, babes

hàng hiệu = brand-name merchandise

hai lúa = hick, country bumpkin, hillbilly

hâm = crazy

hiền như nai = as gentle/meek/virtuous as a fawn

lạnh cẳng = afraid

ôsin = house maid

phao = A cheating "device" used by a student in an examination

rửa = to celebrate something new (such as a promotion, a purchase of a new vehicle, etc.) with alcohols

quậy = mischievous

siêu sao = superstar

tiền khô cháy túi = completely broke

thuốc lắc = estacy (pill/drug)

xạo bà cố = to tell tales

xế xịn = expensive vehicles

Hi all, i came across something interesting so would like to share w u ppl here:

VietnamLover
28-07-2009, 12:11 AM
DUMPED by pregnant foreign bride via phone

HE thought he had found love after spending 10 years in search of a bride through matchmaking agencies.

Even when he learnt that the Vietnamese woman he chose to marry probably harboured feelings for an ex-lover, he continued to love her.

When Mr David Quek, 39, a facilities manager, learnt his Vietnamese wife, Madam Kim Vui, 21, was pregnant, he looked forward to starting a family.

But now, Mr Quek is in a quandary.

His wife has returned to Ho Chi Minh City and is refusing to return.

And not only has he probably lost his wife and unborn child, but he can't move on as it will be difficult for him to file for divorce.

Mr Quek said he got to know Madam Kim in mid-April through Vietnam Brides International, a matchmaking agency in Orchard Plaza.

'When I met Kim Vui, I thought she looked sweet and simple,' said Mr Quek.

She was nothing like some of the materialistic local women he had met through other dating agencies.

They went on dinner dates a few times a week and Mr Quek was happy enough to take her home to meet his mother. His father died several years ago.

The couple got married on 14 Jun. But their marital bliss was short-lived.

Two weeks after they tied the knot, Mr Quek got an angry phone call from a man who claimed to be the husband of Madam Kim's friend.

He told Mr Quek that Madam Kim had a 'husband' in Ho Chi Minh City and that the other man had asked Madam Kim's friend to get her to return to him.

Shocked, Mr Quek confronted his wife. Madam Kim denied that she was married, but admitted that the 'husband' was actually her former lover. She said they were no longer together.

Feeling cheated, Mr Quek took his wife back to the matchmaking agency on 29 Jun and demanded an explanation from its boss, Mr Mark Lin.

He said: 'I was angry as my wife would be a bigamist if she was really married in Vietnam. I called Mark and scolded him for hiding my wife's complicated background from me.'

Mr Lin denied deceiving Mr Quek, who had agreed to pay $7,000 in five instalments to have his marriage with Madam Kim arranged.

He said: 'I trust the girls to be honest but if they want to lie, there's nothing I can do.'

He also told Mr Quek that he should accept his wife's past if he really loved her.

Mr Quek patched things up with his wife but two days later, she told him her parents wanted her to return to Ho Chi Minh City to attend to some family matters.

So on 2 Jul, they flew to Ho Chi Minh City to visit her parents.

They were supposed to return to Singapore on 5 Jul, but Madam Kim said she wanted to stay with her parents for a few more days, promising to return on 25 Jul.

Mr Quek, who returned to Singapore on his own, said he did not think anything was wrong then.

He said: 'I thought she was homesick and I thought she'd be happy if she could spend more time with her family.'

Mr Quek described his wife as a simple woman who never asked him for money or shopped extravagantly.

He said his wife called him every day to ask after him and to tell him she was fine.

Then last Sunday, Madam Kim called to say she did not want to return to him.

Mr Quek said: 'I was shocked. I told her, 'Please don't joke about such things.' I asked if she was unwell but she just wouldn't tell me why she wanted to stay in Vietnam.'

Mr Quek believes his wife's ex-lover could be behind her decision to leave him.

Showing us his handphone, he said: 'After I returned to Singapore, I received text messages in a mixture of Vietnamese and English, telling me to stay away from my wife.'

The New Paper on Sunday was able to contact Madam Kim, who confirmed Mr Quek's worst fear.

Speaking through her Mandarin-speaking Vietnamese friend, Miss Julie Tan, 22, Madam Kim said she had come to Singapore to try to forget her ex.

Miss Tan said: 'But after the marriage, she realised she couldn't forget her ex even though Mr Quek is good to her.'

Mr Quek then tried to get the Singapore consulate in Ho Chi Minh City to help convince his wife to come back, but she was adamant about staying.

When asked what he plans to do now, Mr Quek said he would take time to consider his options.

Uncertain about future

He sighed: 'Whether I divorce her or not, I don't know if I'll get to see my child.

'I guess I'm just suay (Hokkien for unlucky). Other men have happy lives with their Vietnamese wives but I'm unfortunate to be in this situation.'

He added: 'She's carrying my child but if she doesn't return and chooses to abort the foetus, I can't stop her too.'

Mr Quek plans to visit a free legal clinic to seek advice on what to do.

If he fails to convince Madam Kim to return, it will also be difficult for him to move on.

The Women's Charter states that no divorces can be filed until a couple have been married for three years.

Lawyer Nicholas Cheong said Mr Quek can still file for divorce if he can show he has suffered exceptional hardship from his wife's departure.

But Mr Cheong also pointed out that it would be difficult for Mr Quek to make a clean break from his wife as she's pregnant.

He said: 'She's entitled to ask for maintenance for their child though she left him. As the father, Mr Quek is obliged to support the child.'

Mr Lin has told Mr Quek that he will waive the remaining instalment of $1,000 if Madam Kim still refuses to return.'My job is done once the marriage is solemnised. I introduce the girls to customers but I certainly don't guarantee successful marriages,' said Mr Lin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case: Do background checks, read contract carefully

A FEW Singaporeans have turned to the consumer watchdog here for help after their Vietnamese brides ran away.

Such cases are few and far between, said Mr Lim Biow Chuan, vice-president of the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

The association has seen four cases of runaway brides, said Case executive director Seah Seng Choon.

All these cases happened last year.

Mr Seah said: 'It's more in the form of feedback provided by consumers. Hence, in such cases, there would not be any action required on our end.'

Mr Seah said in two of the cases, the brides returned to Vietnam and refused to return to Singapore.

The whereabouts of the women in the other cases were not known.

He said customers of matchmaking agencies should formalise verbal agreements in writing and read the terms of the contracts before accepting the bride.

Mr Seah said: 'Several marriage contracts seen by Case state clearly that monies paid are non-refundable. Consumers need to consider this before agreeing to any contract.'

Mr P Arivalagan, Singapore's consul in Ho Chi Minh City, said that the consulate also receives requests from Singaporean men for help regarding runaway brides.

He declined to reveal any figures.

The service provided by marriage agencies is covered by the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading)Act.

Mr Lim pointed out that in cases of runaway brides, there was little that Case could do, except to advise the men on the terms of the contracts.

He added that it would also make sense for the men to do background checks on the women before marrying them.

He said: 'If you're going to spend so much money, you should do checks before entering a life-long relationship. It's only common sense to find out more since she's going to share your life and home.'

jackbl
28-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for sharing the story. As what he had said, he is just suay :( :o

DUMPED by pregnant foreign bride via phone

jackbl
28-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Some history on the Surname Nguyen
===================================

Throughout Vietnamese history, many events contributed to the name's prominence. In 1232, after usurping the Lư Dynasty, Trần Thủ Độ forced the descendants of the Lư to change their surname to Nguyễn. When Hồ Quư Ly overturned the Trần Dynasty, he killed many of their descendants so when the Hồ Dynasty collapsed in 1407, many of his descendants changed their surname to Nguyễn in fear of retribution. In 1592, on the collapse of the Mạc Dynasty, their descendants changed their surname to Nguyễn and Lều. When the Nguyễn Dynasty (the descendants of the Nguyễn Lords) took power in 1802, some of the descendants of the Trịnh Lords fearing retribution changed their surname to Nguyễn, while others fled north into China. The Nguyễn Dynasty awarded many people the surname Nguyễn during their rule, and many criminals also changed their surname to Nguyễn to avoid prosecution. As with all other common surnames, most people having this surname are not necessarily related.[3]

In Vietnamese custom as with other East Asian cultures, the surname precedes the given names. Like many surnames in Vietnam and other Chinese-influenced cultures (including Korea and Japan), the name Nguyễn is shared with those in Chinese culture with the same surname. The Chinese/Hán Tự character for Nguyễn is 阮, which refers to a moon-shaped lute instrument called ruan (Mandarin).

leecs
28-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I have a VN friend named Nguyen Thi Hong. hehe....

jackbl
28-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Culture of Vietnam: Things to avoid
====================================

When you are a guest:

Do not use your own chopsticks to pick up food from a communal bowl or plate. Usually, there should be a spoon or chopsticks for you to use; however, if there are none, use the other ends of your chopsticks (the clean ends) to pick up the food.

Remember some Vietnamese cooks have the habit of criticizing their own food, but that does not mean they actually think their bún ḅ Huế tastes bad, so you should not agree with them. For example, one of my aunts always says her cooking needs more seasoning, when she is known to be the best cook in our family.

Always take off your shoes before you go inside the house, unless the host specifically tells you not to. If you see a lot of shoes at the front door, that should be a telltale sign for you to take your shoes off.

It is polite to "mời" (invite) the older people at the table to eat before you start eating. (This applies to non-guests as well).

Remember that some actions might be considered as "khách sáo" (too proper) by some people, while deemed as appropriate by others. The best way is to observe the people around you and follow them. As the saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" or how we Vietnamese like to say "tùy cơ ứng biến" (one's actions should depend on the situation).

jackbl
28-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Đầu năm không nói chuyện xui xẻo: Don't speak about bad things in the first days of the years. Viet people believe that speaking about bad and unfortunate things in the first days of the new year will make the whole year bad and unfortunate.

Không cắm đũa lên chén cơm: Don't pitch vertically the chopsticks on a rice bowl. Viet people only do that for worshiping dead persons.

When people go out to eat, it is normal to split the bill. In the Vietnamese culture, "splitting the bill" is not the norm. When a group of friends go out to eat, one person should volunteer to pay (usually a male). It is important to note that one should NOT take advantage of this "bao" culture, or else eventually you will get the reputation of being "keo" (cheap).

jackbl
29-07-2009, 12:57 AM
"an cư lạc nghiệp" (to live and work in peace and contentment)

This idiom express one concept that many Vietnamese agree: "If you want to have a properous life, the first thing is that you must have a stable living place." This thinking is reflected by the fact that the first purpose of a young Vietnamese who get involved in active life is to buy a house. Living in a rented house is not considered as good or long time status.

Ăn mày đ̣i xôi gấc
Beggars ask for balsam flavoured sweet rice
==Beggars can't be choosers

Không thầy đố mày làm nên
(One can not be successful without a teacher)

This idiom expresses important status of teachers. In a Confucianism based society like Vietnam (or Japan, South Korea, China), teachers play important roles and are considered as "father". In Sino-Vietnamese, teacher is intepreted as "Sư phụ"; Sư is teacher, "phụ" is father.

"Một con ngựa đau cả tàu bỏ cỏ"

According to a Viet friend, it means "when one horse is sick, all the horses dont want to eat grass." I think it talks about solidarity. That is something I can realize in Asia, especially in VN. People seem attached to each other and if you are in their family, everybody wants to help others.

jackbl
29-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Ta về ta tấm ao ta
"home, sweet home", "Home is the best", etc
"Dù trong dù đục ao nhà vẫn hơn" (meaning "whether it is dirty or not, it's still comfortable swimming in your own pond")

Caí nết đánh chết cái đẹp
Good personality supercedes beauty.....Translation
Beauty is only skin deep............equivalant

Ép dẩu mỡ, ai nỡ ép duyên
You can press nuts to get oil, but you can't force a marriage when there is no love...........translation
You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink....equivilant

Gần mực đen, gần đen th́ sáng
Near the ink, one is stained black;
near the lamp one is illuminated............translation
He who keeps company with wolves will learn how to howl.....equivalent

Tốt gỗ hơn tốt nuớc sơn
Literal: Good inner wood is more desirable than a good outer coating.
Equivalent: Beauty is only skin deep.

Thừa nước đục thả câu: to fish in troubled waters
It is said when someone makes usage of a trouble situation for his/her own benefits. The action "thừa nước đục thả câu" is considered as bad behaviour.

jackbl
30-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Liệu cơm mà gắp mắm ra, liệu cưa liệu nhà mà gả con vô
For a portion of fish sauce, one measures the rice;
to marry off the daughter, one measures the door......translation
Cut your coat according to the cloth.............equivilant

Măng không uốn, tre già nỗ đốt.
If bamboo is not shaped when it is young, it will explode when old.....translation
you can't teach an old dog new tricks.......equivilant

"Trứng mà đ̣i khôn hơn vịt."
LITERAL: The (unhatched) egg cannot be smarter than the duck.
USAGE: used especially (sometimes in a humorous way) to tell kids not try to reason with their parents.

Năng đêm có ngày gặp ma.
Traveling often at night, you may meet ghosts......translation
He who looks for trouble, finds it........equivilant

Thương người như thể thương thân
You love another people as you love yourself

"Có qua có lại mới toại ḷng nhau"
Lit: Giving as well as receiving make people happy.
English equivalent: Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

"Có tiền mua tiên cũng được."
Lit: Money can buy God.
English equivalent: Money talks.

"Chết trong hơn sống đục."
Lit: Better to die with honor than to live with shame.

"Vạch áo cho người xem lưng."
Lit: Pull up your shirt for others to see your back. Revealing to others your weaknesses and flaws.
English equivalent: "Don't wash your dirty linen in public."

KangTuo
30-07-2009, 01:36 AM

Do not use your own chopsticks to pick up food from a communal bowl or plate. Usually, there should be a spoon or chopsticks for you to use; however, if there are none, use the other ends of your chopsticks (the clean ends) to pick up the food.

Always take off your shoes before you go inside the house, unless the host specifically tells you not to. If you see a lot of shoes at the front door, that should be a telltale sign for you to take your shoes off.

It is polite to "mời" (invite) the older people at the table to eat before you start eating. (This applies to non-guests as well).

oh no... last trip eating at my gal friend house,
i use the dirty end of my chopstick to pick up food
i wore my shoe into the house before removing
i eat before anyone else (because all wait for me to start)

Hurricane88
30-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Dun worry la...on that day you are considered the eldest...hihi..:)

jackbl
30-07-2009, 09:25 AM
No problem for u.... U r SUPER VVIP of them :D

Ah Xuan is back :p

KangTuo
30-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Ah Xuan is back :p

this really proven you are sillypore vietnam king.
which viet gal is back, which viet gal is gone, you also know. :D

leecs
30-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Sibe tok kong sia!!!!!!

jackbl
30-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Next weekend u free? Let's pay a visit to Ah Xuan! :D :p
this really proven you are sillypore vietnam king.
which viet gal is back, which viet gal is gone, you also know.

CuteBuns
31-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Hi Guys,

Anyone can help me with this viet sms. its probably some KC trap or money issues, juz wanna know :D

em cung vay em muong o gan anh em kg muon di lam

Thanks in advance guys!!

KangTuo
31-07-2009, 08:36 AM
em cung vay em muong o gan anh em kg muon di lam

em cung vay = I also
em mong o gan gan anh = I hope to be near you
em kg muon di lam = I don't want to work

typo error in 'muong'

CuteBuns
31-07-2009, 09:43 AM
em cung vay = I also
em mong o gan gan anh = I hope to be near you
em kg muon di lam = I don't want to work

typo error in 'muong'

Thanks KangTuo!!

Juz curious, who is this Ah Xuan that bro jackbl is promoting about?? :D

anyway, thinking of going either Joo Chiat or GL tonight, long time never party liao. Cross fingers that got lots of new eye candy :p

KangTuo
31-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks KangTuo!!

Juz curious, who is this Ah Xuan that bro jackbl is promoting about?? :D

anyway, thinking of going either Joo Chiat or GL tonight, long time never party liao. Cross fingers that got lots of new eye candy :p

you got to ask bro jackbl who is she :)

enjoy your night in JC/GL

jackbl
31-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Why u stop to teach vietnamese here liao huh? :confused: Very sad :(
you got to ask bro jackbl who is she :)

enjoy your night in JC/GL

jackbl
03-08-2009, 03:14 AM

"thọc gậy bánh xe"

Lit: Put a spoke on somebody's wheel.
English equivalent: throw a spanner in the works

- Bạn bè hiểu nhau khi hoạn nạn:
A friend in need is a friend indeed. A friend is never known till needed. Prosperity makes friends, and adversity tries them.

- Bạn cũ tốt, rượu cũ ngon:
Old friends and old wine are best.

- Bắt cá hai tay:
Between two stools you fall to the ground. If you run after two hares, you will catch neither. Dogs that put up many hares kill none.

- Bắt đầu tốt là làm được nửa công việc:
Well begun is half done.

- Bần cùng sinh đạo tặc:
Necessity knows no law.

- Thuận vợ thuận chồng tát biển Đông cũng cạn:
A house divided against itself can't stand.

- Khẩu phật tâm xà:
A honey tongue, a heart of gall.

- Hết mưa trời lại sáng:
Cloudy morning give way to clear evenings.

"Ếch ngồi đáy giếng."

Lit: A frog that sits at the bottom of a well.
Meaning: Someone who has limited knowledge of the world around him.
Example: Anh thật là ếch ngồi đáy giếng, không biết ǵ cả!

"Đi một ngày đàng, học một sàng khôn"
The more you go, the more you know!

" Chở củi về rừng !"
Trans: to carry woods back to forest (jungle)
Lit: "Bringing coal to New Castle"

"Một mũi tên trúng hai đích"; "Nhất cử lưỡng tiện"
Lit: 1 arrow shoots 2 destinations
English equivalent: to kill two birds with one stone; to cut two trees with one saw

"Có bột mới gột nên hồ."
You must have powder if you wanted to make the paste.

"Hổ phụ sinh hổ tử"
A tiger (father) will give birth to a tiger (son).

jackbl
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Vietnamese crowned Miss International Beauty 2009
================================================== ==
For the first time, Vietnam was honored with a top position at an international female beauty pageant, the Miss International Beauty 2009. The winning contestant was Vu Thi Hoang Diep.

Diep received a lot of compliments on the final night on August 1 for her costumes and her body. With her best performance at the final in the city of Daqing, China, Diep won the hearts of the jury and the audience.

Besides the first prize, Diep had earlier received two secondary prizes, including first prize as Miss Talent and third prize as Miss Bikini.

Diep will leave China for Vietnam on August 2.

According to Diep, her success came so surprisingly and was excited to share the good news with her relatives and local fans.

Miss International Beauty Pageant, founded in 1973, aims to symbolize beauty and harmony for different nationalities, bring about friendship across the world and to promote world peace.

Leeson
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Vietnamese crowned Miss International Beauty 2009

not say very pretty leh...

naemlo
03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
not say very pretty leh...

Now your favorite dish is tom yum, pho will taste plain. :D

Leeson
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Now your favorite dish is tom yum, pho will taste plain. :D

blame it on the long vietnam trip haha... but i always been very international one mah :p

KangTuo
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Why u stop to teach vietnamese here liao huh? :confused: Very sad :(

I am also still learning my tieng viet
In this thread, there is a jackbl to teach is damn good liao :p

jackbl
04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
There are many good ones around, but they chose to stand one side. So let the Half-Past-6 jackbl to make a Fool of Himself :D :p :)
I am also still learning my tieng viet
In this thread, there is a jackbl to teach is damn good liao

jackbl
04-08-2009, 01:43 AM

Mèo nhỏ bắt chuột con.
Little cat moused little mouse.

Mèo già hóa cáo.
Old cats becoming foxs,

Mèo mả gà đồng
Cats in tombs and pheasants. (In my dict. "gà đồng" is "frog" but I never heard this in my life.)

Mèo mù vớ cá rán.
Blind cat got fried fish.

Mèo trắng, mèo đen, mèo nào cũng bắt chuột.
Every cat, irrespective of white or black, have duty to hunt rats.

Căi nhau như chó với mèo.
Conflic like dogs and cats.

Nam thực như hổ, nữ thực như miêu.
Men eat as tigers eat, women do eat as cats do.

Mèo đến nhà th́ khó, chó đến nhà th́ sang.
Cats bring needy home, dogs bring wealthy.

Mèo khen mèo dài đuôi.
A cat praised her own tail is long.

Mèo lại hoàn mèo.
Cat returned a cat again.

Mỡ để miệng mèo.
Put grease in front of cat's muzzle.

Chó treo mèo đậy.
Hided food from dogs: hang it, from cats: cover it.

"Biết th́ thưa thốt, không biết dựa cột mà nghe !"
You know how, discuss ! You don't know how, lean on pillar and listen !

billgates
04-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Just stumbled upon this thread... checked first few pgs, FF to this last pg... i find most of the tieng viet mentioned here is southern style.

Northern (Hanoi) and central pronounciation is very different. Which would u rather learn? The northern (official) style or the southern (Saigon) style?

Eg of northern pronounciation:
ban ron is pronounced "butt zot" (busy)
mot nghin (1,000)... in the south its mot ngan
etc

Leeson
04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Just stumbled upon this thread... checked first few pgs, FF to this last pg... i find most of the tieng viet mentioned here is southern style.

Northern (Hanoi) and central pronounciation is very different. Which would u rather learn? The northern (official) style or the southern (Saigon) style?

etc

learn saigon cos most of the girls in singapore from there mah! :D

jackbl
04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
learn saigon cos most of the girls in singapore from there mah! :D

etc

Found another vietnamese language expert in BILLGATES. He knows abt the 3 main regions of vietnamese language. Please feel free to post anything related to the vietnamese language and culture here :)

As of what to learn, if u can learn all. Apply different stroke when u meet different people.

retire
08-08-2009, 05:12 AM
In this conversation, we were talking about karaoke in Vietnam

my translation:

Q1: ko co dau (it doesn't have). neu (if) hat (sing) trong (inside) phong (room) thi minh (i/we) toan quyen (have full use) doi voi phong do (of the room)

Q2: em rat thich (I like it very much) nen (so) hau nhu ranh la di hat (if i'm free i'll go singing)

vitruvius79
08-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Ok, another short message that got me stumped. Any kind brothers can enlighten me?

Em: "Chưng nao anh ranh nhơ đên vơi em nha bay may nhân tinh"

My Guess: When you are free..... ???

The tones are confusing, maybe not accurately written?

For example ranh=naughty, but rảnh=to be free, to have leisure.
"rảnh" seems more logical in this sentence.

casannova03
08-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok, another short message that got me stumped. Any kind brothers can enlighten me?

My Guess: When you are free..... ???

The tones are confusing, maybe not accurately written?

For example ranh=naughty, but rảnh=to be free, to have leisure.
"rảnh" seems more logical in this sentence.

Wht's the topic you two were talking about? No head no tails can mean a lot of things wor!!!

I guess it's "when you are free remember make up with me........:confused:

Where's master jackbl??:D

jackbl
08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
No wonder suddenly my dick pain!!!! So u are the one talking on/abt me!!! Lidat goot meh?! The ARROW ARROW big big leh.... Sad to say i also dun know what the sentence means :( My viet language has "deproved" liao, huhuhu :(
Where's jackbl??

jackbl
08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I hv doubt on the correctness of this sentence, could hv spelling errors??? I helped u to look into the dictionary but cant find anything :(

vitruvius79
09-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Chưng nao anh ranh nhơ đên vơi em nha bay may nhân tinh

I know "nhan tinh" is colloquial for sms.

"nha bay may" is the tricky part.

So far,

Chung nao (when) anh (you) ranh (free) nho (remember) den (???) voi (vui=with) em (me), nha bay may (???) nhan tinh (sms).

lovesprout
09-08-2009, 09:40 AM
So far,

Chung nao (when) anh (you) ranh (free) nho (remember) den (???) voi (vui=with) em (me), nha bay may (???) nhan tinh (sms).[/QUOTE]

nho = 想
den = 到
nho den= 想到

nha = OK?

Just guessing:
----
bay = fly
may = several

casannova03
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I know "nhan tinh" is colloquial for sms.

"nha bay may" is the tricky part.

So far,

Chung nao (when) anh (you) ranh (free) nho (remember) den (???) voi (vui=with) em (me), nha bay may (???) nhan tinh (sms).

SMS= nhan tin

"den" in this case could be "make up" instead of "reach"

"nha" in this case could just be an exclaimation like "ok?" instead of house/home

So:

When(chung nao) you (anh) free (ranh), remember(nho) make up(den) with (voi) me (em) ok (nha)...bay may nhan tinh ????

bay may nhan tinh ????

Does... "7th(bay) you(may) SMS(nhan tin)" mean anything to you bro vitruvius79? like she ask you to msg her on the 7th or something??

vitruvius79
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
casannova03,

sorry, didn't ask her to message me on the 7th.

Dunno, from my understanding, if they use "anh" in the conversation, they won't use "may" to mean "you".

When(chung nao) you (anh) free (ranh), remember(nho) make up(den) with (voi) me (em) ok (nha)...bay may nhan tinh

Maybe "bay may" means "to fly"? I remember telling her I'm going Hanoi next month.

casannova03
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
casannova03,

....Dunno, from my understanding, if they use "anh" in the conversation, they won't use "may" to mean "you".

.... I remember telling her I'm going Hanoi next month.

Yap normally they dun use "may" cos its associated with a not so polite way of address.

Since you mentioned that you told her you are going to hanoi then the whole msg takes on some meaning liao.

It could mean like you said "msg her when you are flying over":D

blk437
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
May i ask all Viet expert, where can i download Viet songs online? Any idea? Got quite a lot of viet songs very nice but cannot find the Mp3.

casannova03
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
May i ask all Viet expert, where can i download Viet songs online? Any idea? Got quite a lot of viet songs very nice but cannot find the Mp3.

You can refer to my new thread in the "MATTERS OF THE HEART" section.:D I am starting a thread of all the nice VN songs.:D

jackbl
09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the contribution!
You can refer to my new thread in the "MATTERS OF THE HEART" section.:D I am starting a thread of all the nice VN songs.:D

jackbl
09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
U can try T́m - nghe - download Nh?c | Mp3 | L?i bài hát tr?c tuy?n | Baamboo.com - Cây tre@VietNam (http://baamboo.com/?tab=mp3)

Skye
10-08-2009, 03:11 AM

You can try Nhac Mp3 Zing | Nghe nhac online | Download nhac so | Website dinh cao am nhac Viet Nam (http://mp3.zing.vn) for different quality downloads, comes with countdown ratings of the current hits too.

Or

for music and lyrics, you can try Music listen, music lyrics - Demo Music (http://music.yeucahat.com/song/)

Cheers

jackbl
10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Here is another : {--} nhacSO.net | Nghe nhac truc tuyen mien phi ~ Nghe nh?c tr?c tuy?n mi?n phí (http://nhacso.net/Music/Song/)

blk437
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks bro for recommending some of the sites. I have downloaded a few songs.

jackbl
11-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Can share those songs u d/l? Maybe they are good songs that we can listen to and learn to sing :D
Thanks bro for recommending some of the sites. I have downloaded a few songs.

AdGuy
12-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Download for what?

Just join us for 1 of our sessions and bro jackbl will sing live for you :D

Can share those songs u d/l? Maybe they are good songs that we can listen to and learn to sing :D

vagrant
13-08-2009, 03:35 PM
... bro jackbl will sing live for you :D

Fully agree on that, he knows so many viet songs and has a good voice too. I even saw him sang without looking at the lyrics :eek::D

jackbl
13-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Lidat i need to buy you beer liao lor :p
If i asked another person, he say your voice better than u buy me back ok? :D

U standby for tomorrow's activation...
Fully agree on that, he knows so many viet songs and has a good voice too. I even saw him sang without looking at the lyrics :eek::D

AdGuy
18-08-2009, 02:31 AM
You can try Nhac Mp3 Zing | Nghe nhac online | Download nhac so | Website dinh cao am nhac Viet Nam (http://mp3.zing.vn) for different quality downloads, comes with countdown ratings of the current hits too.

Or

for music and lyrics, you can try Music listen, music lyrics - Demo Music (http://music.yeucahat.com/song/)

Cheers

So free come here share Viet songs ah?

AdGuy
18-08-2009, 02:33 AM

Write a new post to get a few useless points from me :D

vagrant
19-08-2009, 12:37 AM
...get a few useless points from me :D

Bro your points are valuable :D It is my post that is useless :p

btw, can any kind teacher here translate the following sms - 'anh co gang len em ung ho anh!'

TQ :)

Skye
19-08-2009, 01:34 AM
So free come here share Viet songs ah?

Yep, Free...
Freaking weather is hot one minute, rain the next...

I think jack sings like a Viet Popstar too...

*claim my free beer :)

jackbl
19-08-2009, 01:41 AM
You make effort, I support u!

btw, can any kind teacher here translate the following sms - 'anh co gang len em ung ho anh!'

Skye
19-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Bro your points are valuable :D It is my post that is useless :p

Don't know whether accurate or not, but i think its something along the lines of: Try your best, i will always support you... or she will be by your side encouraging you...

Think "co gang" is to try and i think "ung ho" is to support...
Better ask grandmasters jack n adguy to clarify. :)

jackbl
19-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Are u sleeping while writing this? Didnt u see i post the reply before u :D :p
Sorry I m not grandmaster, when he post the q, i go to vdict to check the answer...... If lidat, everyone is GRANDMASTER :confused::eek:
Better ask grandmasters jack n adguy to clarify.

Skye
19-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Eating "Bun Bo Kho" whilst typing.
Next time you come, i bring you go eat. Got girl with unbelievable figure selling...You must see to believe this one...:)

vagrant
19-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks bro Skye & bro Jack for the translation

Eating "Bun Bo Kho"...girl with unbelievable figure selling...

Btw what is this Bun and can ask where is it selling? Also interested leh :D

jackbl
20-08-2009, 09:17 AM
bún = vermicelli ;
He is at hcmc so that is quite far away.....
Btw what is this Bun and can ask where is it selling? Also interested leh :D

jackbl
21-08-2009, 12:30 AM
No ban on dancing at karaoke places: ministry
==========================================

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has dropped its proposal to ban dancing at karaoke parlors following public objections.

Le Anh Tuyen, head of the ministry’s legal department, said August 18 the ministry has submitted an amended draft to the Cabinet.

It allows four-star hotels, restaurants, and tourism-related business to open discotheques and karaoke parlors, which, however, have to close by 2 AM.

The dancing ban was an attempt to clamp down on illicit activities like drug use and prostitute at singing places.

By V. Xuan - Translated by Ngoc Anh

vagrant
21-08-2009, 03:34 PM
bún = vermicelli...

okie bro, anh dang hieu roi. 'bun bo kho' should be similar to 'bun bo hue', right? Anh cung thich an bun bo hue :)

casannova03
21-08-2009, 08:43 PM
okie bro, anh dang hieu roi. 'bun bo kho' should be similar to 'bun bo hue', right? Anh cung thich an bun bo hue :)

:D Vay toi chi thich an chim thoi!! LOL:D

AdGuy
22-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Hard to get nice bun bo hue in sg.

One day we go hcmc ask bro Skye bring us go eat:D

AdGuy
22-08-2009, 01:35 PM
:D Vay toi chi thich an chim thoi!! LOL:D

An chim nhieu nhieu, dau mieng nhieu nhieu :D

AdGuy
22-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Don't know whether accurate or not, but i think its something along the lines of: Try your best, i will always support you... or she will be by your side encouraging you...

Better ask grandmasters jack n adguy to clarify. :)

Bro Jackbl is Grandmaster, I'm just Grandmonster.

vagrant
22-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Vay toi chi thich an chim thoi

Paiseh bro, can you help to translate whole sentence. Would like to learn.
I only biet 'thich an chim' :o:D:D

vagrant
22-08-2009, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=AdGuy;4033246]An chim nhieu nhieu, dau mieng nhieu nhieu/QUOTE]

Haha need to check with Grandmonster, what is dau mieng? :D

Hurricane88
22-08-2009, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=AdGuy;4033246]An chim nhieu nhieu, dau mieng nhieu nhieu/QUOTE]

Haha need to check with Grandmonster, what is dau mieng? :D

Either it means head mouth many many or alot of head mouth...pain mouth many many or alot of mouth pain...:)

RockViet
23-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Hard to get nice bun bo hue in sg.

One day we go hcmc ask bro Skye bring us go eat:D

hey hey Bro here, I also like eat bun bo hue.. find that the bun bo bue in the coffee shop bside J.C police post not bad.

Bun bo kho = is it the stew beef? with bun?? bo kho also nice:D:D

jackbl
24-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Some history of Vietnam War
===========================

40 years on US officer says sorry for Vietnam massacre

After more than 40 years the former US army officer found guilty of involvement in the massacre of women and children in the Vietnamese village of My Lai during the Vietnam war has made a public apology.
"There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai," former lieutenant William Calley told members of the Kiwanis Club of Greater Columbus, Georgia. "I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry."

The only person convicted in connection with the killings, although other soldiers were charged, Calley was initially sentenced to life imprisonment, but his sentence was later heavily reduced.

After his release Calley returned to civilian life and had until now shied away from publicity and interviews about My Lai.

The killings that occurred on March 16, 1968 in the South Vietnamese hamlet of My Lai prompted widespread outrage around the world when they eventually became known in November 1969, when independent investigative journalist Seymour Hersh broke the story after extensive conversations with Calley.

They are also credited with advancing the end of the Vietnam War because they significantly undercut US public support for the war effort.

The massacre began when men of Charlie Company under the command of Lieutenant Calley opened fire on civilians during a "search and destroy" mission in My Lai and neighboring villages.

The targets of the killings were mainly old men, women and children -- all unarmed -- as most younger members of the community were working in the fields.

The exact toll of the massacre still remains in dispute, but US estimates suggest that between 347 and 504 unarmed citizens were massacred that day.

According to testimony presented during Calley's trial, dozens of people were herded into a local irrigation ditch and killed with automatic weapons.

A large group of about 70 to 80 villagers, rounded up in the center of the village, were killed personally by Calley and other soldiers under his command.

Calley also shot two other large groups of civilians with a weapon taken from a soldier who had refused to obey his orders, it was revealed.

Although his presentation at the Kiwanis Club Wednesday was brief, Calley took a few questions.

When asked if obeying an unlawful order was not itself an unlawful act, he said: "I believe that is true."

"If you are asking why I did not stand up to them when I was given the orders, I will have to say that I was a second lieutenant getting orders from my commander and I followed them - foolishly, I guess," he continued.

Calley's immediate commander at that time was Captain Ernest Medina, who was also tried in connection to the My Lai massacre.

But Medina was represented by famous defense attorney F. Lee Bailey and was acquitted of all charges in 1971.

Following his release from house arrest, Calley settled in Columbus, Georgia, where he worked at jewelry store that belonged to his father-in-law. He now lives in Atlanta.

He complained that some of the basic civil rights remained denied to him following his conviction. "I still cannot vote," he said.

Source: AFP

VietnamLover
24-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanh Nien closes its English language daily edition

VietNamNet Bridge - Thanh Nien Daily News announced on August 22 that economic difficulties have forced the discontinuation of its print edition after two years of publication.

VietNamNet Bridge has huge respect for the HCM City-based Thanh Nien newspaper; respect that’s easily seen by the large number of articles that we select from its pages to translate and present on our own website.

We’ve also had high regard for the Thanh Nien Daily News, Thanh Nien’s two year-old English edition. In the quest to present a vibrant mix of breaking news and insightful, objective reporting on Vietnam’s society and economy, TN Daily has been the best of competitors – a journal that set its own standards high and inspired us to try harder ourselves.

Thus we were sad to learn that Thanh Nien has decided to convert its English language daily into a weekly, citing difficulties caused by the global recession. Its online English edition is still going strong.

TN Daily’s demise leaves only one seven day each week print newspaper in English, Vietnam News, which is published by the official Vietnam News Agency. Also online, also publishing in English 24/7 year-round, there is us - VietNamNet Bridge, the English language younger sibling of VietNamNet, the nation’s first on-line newspaper.

Keep an eye on *VietNamNet Bridge* in the months ahead. We’re going to be doing our level best to develop further the high standard of journalistic objectivity and heads-up reportage on Vietnamese topics that has beencharacteristic of Thanh Nien Daily and which has been our aim as well.

vagrant
24-08-2009, 06:52 PM
.. find that the bun bo bue in the coffee shop bside J.C police post not bad.

Tks bro for recommendation, will try to go check out the bun and the vb around there :D

[QUOTE=vagrant;4033671]...pain mouth many many or alot of mouth pain...:)

Hehe, maybe an bun roi mouth not so pain liao :D

jackbl
25-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Eat vietnamese abalone then your mouth will not be pain :D How long u never eat liao? Still missed it? When u going to eat again? Remember to bring me along ok....
abalone = bào ngư
Hehe, maybe an bun roi mouth not so pain liao :D

vagrant
25-08-2009, 01:13 AM
...abalone = bào ngư

Wah bro u recently just eat leh ;) so fast want again? Okie I jio bro eat bun roi join you for abalone dessert :D

Will the bun lover please stand up? Yup, that's you bro AdGuy :D

lovesprout
25-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Anyone can help translate the following sentence? I just asked her "em co khoe kg?" She replied me this.

"Em kg quen danh phan len bi moc mun mat xau gai a lai kg yeu e"

Thanks.

KangTuo
25-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Anyone can help translate the following sentence? I just asked her "em co khoe kg?" She replied me this.

Thanks.

"Em kg quen".... this one i dont know what she mean.
but the whole sentence means that she powder her face, her kana pimples and very ugly now. You will not love her anymore.

retire
25-08-2009, 05:01 PM
but the whole sentence means that she powder her face, her kana pimples and very ugly now. You will not love her anymore.

'em khong quen'

1. i dont know (somebody)

2. i dont do (something) often

in this case it means she doesnt put on her make up very often.. :)

Honey Boon
26-08-2009, 12:16 AM
chim thui mieng thui .... :D

An chim nhieu nhieu, dau mieng nhieu nhieu :D

jackbl
26-08-2009, 01:36 AM

Thanks.

Em kg quen=I m not used to...
I m not used to put powder on the face, got pimple, face ugly gal, u dun love me again.

jackbl
26-08-2009, 01:40 AM
U meaning smelly?

thối = stinking; addle, rotten
chim thui mieng thui .... :D

Honey Boon
26-08-2009, 12:25 PM
haha.. I don't know...

but very effective when I want to chase the girls away from sitting besides me :D

U meaning smelly?

thối = stinking; addle, rotten

lovesprout
26-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Recently I know one girl from Hanoi. Her Tieng Viet is really different from girls I know from HCMC. For example, she used "chim", rather than "cu" to refer to our "little brother"

The funny thing is that she met with me the first day when she works here, but then she stops working because "xau ho lam" (very shy). So now I have to take care of her before she leaves Singapore. I am learning the Hanoi Tieng Viet with her every day.

Any brothers who are interested in learning Hanoi Tieng Viet? She has a sister who comes with her, but also very "xao ho" since day 1. She never has any customers here. She wants me to introduce some local guys to her. Any brothers are interested in making friends with Hanoi girls? I have never met her sister before so I cannot guarantee her quality.

Hurricane88
26-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Any brothers who are interested in learning Hanoi Tieng Viet? She has a sister who comes with her, but also very "xao ho" since day 1. She never has any customers here. She wants me to introduce some local guys to her. Any brothers are interested in making friends with Hanoi girls? I have never met her sister before so I cannot guarantee her quality.

Wow thanks for sharing...sounds interesting but retired liao....maybe bro jackbl keen....:)

jackbl
27-08-2009, 12:31 AM
do u know the sentence is scolding the gals? CHEE BYE smelly and Mouth smelly... Be careful, u may get it from the gals :eek:
haha.. I don't know...

but very effective when I want to chase the girls away from sitting besides me :D

jackbl
27-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow thanks for sharing...sounds interesting but retired liao....maybe bro jackbl keen....:)

Any brothers who are interested in learning Hanoi Tieng Viet? She has a sister who comes with her, but also very "xau ho" since day 1. She never has any customers here. She wants me to introduce some local guys to her. Any brothers are interested in making friends with Hanoi girls? I have never met her sister before so I cannot guarantee her quality.

Thanks for the introduction! I m interested to learn viet language, be it Mien Bac hay Mien Nam :D The issue is whether she can speak our language or not, if not how to explain to us??? Maybe u can arrange coffee session outside Blue Lagoon or somewhere before deciding :p

lovesprout
27-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the introduction! I m interested to learn viet language, be it Mien Bac hay Mien Nam :D The issue is whether she can speak our language or not, if not how to explain to us??? Maybe u can arrange coffee session outside Blue Lagoon or somewhere before deciding :p

I will give you her name and phone number by PM, please sms her first then decide. She lives in Geylang 6 and has nothing to do now.

I really like my Hanoi girl, Hanh, because she is really "fresh". She doesn't behave like a WL in any ways. When I ask her name, she tells me her full name, not just a nickname. She is also very patient to teach me Tieng Viet. Originally I plan to teach her how to solicit customers so she can work here, but now I decide to keep her for myself :D.

Hurricane88
27-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I really like my Hanoi girl, Hanh, because she is really "fresh". She doesn't behave like a WL in any ways. When I ask her name, she tells me her full name, not just a nickname. She is also very patient to teach me Tieng Viet. Originally I plan to teach her how to solicit customers so she can work here, but now I decide to keep her for myself :D.

Good move...but ensure you can keep her for the long run...it can be very xiong to you finances...do your math and be upfront with her...start on the right footing...enjoy yourself...cheers...:)

lovesprout
27-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Good move...but ensure you can keep her for the long run...it can be very xiong to you finances...do your math and be upfront with her...start on the right footing...enjoy yourself...cheers...:)

She is here less than 1 week and I already spent a few hundreds dollars on her. Of course I cannot keep her for long. Because she is too shy to work here, she will go back to VN soon. I just enjoy the moment!

jackbl
27-08-2009, 02:08 PM
If i sms and she asked her fren to translate, then i dun really know she can speak english/mandarin or not... I think better call her :D :p Are u meeting your Hanh today? Bring me along leh :D
I will give you her name and phone number by PM, please sms her first then decide. She lives in Geylang 6 and has nothing to do now.

jackbl
27-08-2009, 02:09 PM
U spent a few hundred, but if she give u alot then no worries lor :D
She is here less than 1 week and I already spent a few hundreds dollars on her. Of course I cannot keep her for long. Because she is too shy to work here, she will go back to VN soon. I just enjoy the moment!

VietnamLover
27-08-2009, 03:38 PM
lovesprout, I am also interested to enrich my learning of Vietnamese in both Northern and Southern accent. Kindly let me know how I can get in touch with your friend for further learning. Thanks.

lovesprout
27-08-2009, 04:21 PM
If i sms and she asked her fren to translate, then i dun really know she can speak english/mandarin or not... I think better call her :D :p Are u meeting your Hanh today? Bring me along leh :D

We are having hotel session today, you also want to join us (3p :p?) Paisei la. Well... If you are more interested in my girl, Hanh, I can give you her contact number, but let me ask her permission first.

VietnamLover, I already PM you the contact information of Hanh's sister.

lovesprout
27-08-2009, 04:27 PM
U spent a few hundred, but if she give u alot then no worries lor :D

I think I really get a lot. She is fresh so the gf-feeling is very strong. Even I hold her hands in public, she still feels shy. It is very hard to pretend this you know.

Best of all, she has nothing to do in Singapore. Every time I ask her out, she is fine. She just follows me around until I feel tired. Not like some of the WLs here they have to work work work in pub every day.

Honey Boon
27-08-2009, 05:34 PM
:eek: :eek:

do u know the sentence is scolding the gals? CHEE BYE smelly and Mouth smelly... Be careful, u may get it from the gals :eek:

VietnamLover
27-08-2009, 05:39 PM
We are having hotel session today, you also want to join us (3p :p?) Paisei la. Well... If you are more interested in my girl, Hanh, I can give you her contact number, but let me ask her permission first.

lovesprout, thanks for giving me her contact. Btw, did you ask Hanh if she is ok about 3p or even 4p? I mean no offence to you. Once again, thanks.

jackbl
29-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow u so good? Share ur gal with others :confused: No la, keep it for yourself better.

Hanh's sister went back yesterday afternoon liao :D She say u very good to Hanh :)
Well... If you are more interested in my girl, Hanh, I can give you her contact number, but let me ask her permission first.

jackbl
29-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Hanh's sister said that your vietnamese very good, can speak and write well.... Envy siah.... Now u got a personal tutor liao, will be better liao. Please help to improve our level too :D :p :)
She is also very patient to teach me Tieng Viet.

lovesprout
29-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow u so good? Share ur gal with others :confused: No la, keep it for yourself better.

Hanh's sister went back yesterday afternoon liao :D She say u very good to Hanh :)

Because I cannot fed her by myself, so it is better to share the burden ma. Unfortunately, Hanh was arrested by police yesterday and will be deported back to VN. The police even called me and asked me who I am. How sad! Now I have to look for new tutors again.

jackbl
29-08-2009, 11:57 AM
So sad, what happ? I thot she not working and why caught by police? Can elaborate?
Because I cannot fed her by myself, so it is better to share the burden ma. Unfortunately, Hanh was arrested by police yesterday and will be deported back to VN. The police even called me and asked me who I am. How sad! Now I have to look for new tutors again.

lovesprout
29-08-2009, 12:15 PM
So sad, what happ? I thot she not working and why caught by police? Can elaborate?

I am also very surprised. This is what she told me. "E di choi o ngoai duong cung ban gai bi cong an bat anh a"

I think that they live in Geylang 6 is very dangerous. Police recently cracked down all freelancers in Geylang area and keeps patrolling that area. I think they just walk around the streets near their house yesterday's afternoon, and a plain cloth police thought that they are freelancers so arrested them. So sad.

jackbl
29-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I also warned Huong if they got nothing to do dun walk along the street..... when police called u did u explain to them?

I am also very surprised. This is what she told me. "E di choi o ngoai duong cung ban gai bi cong an bat anh a"

I think that they live in Geylang 6 is very dangerous. Police recently cracked down all freelancers in Geylang area and keeps patrolling that area. I think they just walk around the streets near their house yesterday's afternoon, and a plain cloth police thought that they are freelancers so arrested them. So sad.

lovesprout
29-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I also warned Huong if they got nothing to do dun walk along the street..... when police called u did u explain to them?

It has been proven that you are right! Don't wander in the Geylang streets if you are girls with short-term visas.

Well. Originally I tried to cover her up by saying that we are just friends and we met in Orchard Road. But soon I realized that she told the police a different story, and our story didn't match at all. Police also seized her cellphone with all our sms on it. The police threatened me that if I did not tell the truth then I will be in deep trouble . At the end, I had to tell police everything they wanted to know. Sigh. I don't know how to protect her.

casannova03
29-08-2009, 03:13 PM
The police threatened me that if I did not tell the truth then I will be in deep trouble . At the end, I had to tell police everything they wanted to know. Sigh. I don't know how to protect her.

They always like to threaten....but they cannot do anything to you la...:D
At the end of the day, the need evidences to charge you but i can't think of what they wanna charge you with....knowing a vn gal and sms-ing her??

Haha!!

billgates
29-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I dunno southern dialect, maybe northern i can help.

Chim literally means bird or your little birdy. So when a foreigner say "an chim" (eat bird) in HN, most ppl will laugh as it has the naughty connotation of blow-job.

Shy is usually "mac co" (pronounced "mug ke-er"). If u listen carefully, the last word seems like 2-syllables but said very fast it sounds like one. How to explain... u wld have to visit HN more often to pick up the subtleties.

For northern, the pronunciation for "tr...." is usually "ch....". So "truong hoc" is pronounced "chom hop" (school). Someone by the name of "Trang" would be pronounced "chang". :)

Recently I know one girl from Hanoi. Her Tieng Viet is really different from girls I know from HCMC. For example, she used "chim", rather than "cu" to refer to our "little brother"

The funny thing is that she met with me the first day when she works here, but then she stops working because "xau ho lam" (very shy). So now I have to take care of her before she leaves Singapore. I am learning the Hanoi Tieng Viet with her every day.

VietnamLover
30-08-2009, 12:52 AM

At least you had a chance to meet Hanh and Huong. I did not even have a chance to meet them which was supposed to be last Friday. On Friday early morning, Huong sent me an sms to say that she was going back later in the day. Really sorry to hear from lovesporut that Hanh was arrested by police. It's just hard luck. Anyway, wonder if you ever ask them for Vietnam contacts to keep in touch in future?

jackbl
30-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Mostly likely Hanh will be back on Monday or Tuesday right? So these 2 days u will be with her, keeping her company?

It has been proven that you are right! Don't wander in the Geylang streets if you are girls with short-term visas.

Well. Originally I tried to cover her up by saying that we are just friends and we met in Orchard Road. But soon I realized that she told the police a different story, and our story didn't match at all. Police also seized her cellphone with all our sms on it. The police threatened me that if I did not tell the truth then I will be in deep trouble . At the end, I had to tell police everything they wanted to know. Sigh. I don't know how to protect her.

CuteBuns
30-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Would be most grateful if anyone could help with some translation. Tried doing it word for word online but does not seem to tally.

".....ma em se doi anh va o ben canh anh la vui lam"

se doi seems to mean to follow? ben canh seems side by side....I'm quite confused by it....

VietnamLover
30-08-2009, 10:24 AM

I will wait for you and beside next to you will be very happy.

lovesprout
30-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Mostly likely Hanh will be back on Monday or Tuesday right? So these 2 days u will be with her, keeping her company?

Yes. Hanh will be back on Monday. So yesterday I brought her to Sentosa, learned more Vietnamese, and then she showed me how to "an chim" :p

Anyway, wonder if you ever ask them for Vietnam contacts to keep in touch in future?

Yes. I do have her VN number, but she will be banned from entering Singapore for 1 year. There is no point of contacting her unless I plan to visit her in VN. Just make as much love as we can in these 2 days and then leave her in my memory.

Yesterday she said something which is quite funny. "Anh em lam cong an hinh su (刑事) di bat (抓) toi pham (罪犯) o VN, nhung em lai sin bi cong an bat" (My brother in VN works a policeman in charge of catching criminals, but I was caught by policemen here.)

lovesprout
30-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Would be most grateful if anyone could help with some translation. Tried doing it word for word online but does not seem to tally.

se doi seems to mean to follow? ben canh seems side by side....I'm quite confused by it....

VietnamLover's translation is correct. But I want to make one more point here. If you want to translate "la" here, it can be translated into "就" in Chinese.

o ben canh anh la vui lam = 在你身邊"就"很高興

jackbl
30-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Ah Huong is not caught so she can come anytime but Hanh cannot... So maybe he wants Huong's contact :D

Yes. I do have her VN number, but she will be banned from entering Singapore for 1 year. There is no point of contacting her unless I plan to visit her in VN. Just make as much love as we can in these 2 days and then leave her in my memory.

VietnamLover
30-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Ah Huong is not caught so she can come anytime but Hanh cannot... So maybe he wants Huong's contact :D

Not only Huong's. Huong or Hanh's contacts or even both will be fine. Hehe. I don't get many chances to meet Northern women unlike Southern ones which I have plenty in my contact list (both OL and WL).

lovesprout
30-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Not only Huong's. Huong or Hanh's contacts or even both will be fine. Hehe. I don't get many chances to meet Northern women unlike Southern ones which I have plenty in my contact list (both OL and WL).

If you want to know more VN girls from different areas or practice your Tieng Viet, then I suggest you visit Orchard Tower. Most customers there don't speak Vietnamese at all. Therefore, if you can speak little Vietnamese, you will be "surrounded" by a lot of girls. Chatting with them is free, except that sometimes they ask some "lucky money" or "dinner money" from you. Girls in Geylang pubs are all too similar.

Beer there during happy hour is also cheaper than Geylang, and selection of girl is also better.

jackbl
30-08-2009, 02:22 PM
U know ah Hanh at OT??? :D :p

I agreed that most gal working at OT can speak some english or mandarin. There are more Hanoi gals than GL. Find 1 who can speak well, I m sure u will improve alot :D

If you want to know more VN girls from different areas or practice your Tieng Viet, then I suggest you visit Orchard Tower. Most customers there don't speak Vietnamese at all.
Beer there during happy hour is also cheaper than Geylang, and selection of girl is also better.

haha_123
30-08-2009, 02:33 PM

No offence to you bro, but this is ridiculous!!! U mean your gal is arrested for walking around in Geylang?!!! Maybe the gal just want to have lunch, or shop for clothes or handphone? This is ridiculous!!! Don't the police have better things to do!!!:mad:

This is so sad. When u see a Thai or Vietnam or PRC or Indian girl walking in the Geylang area, it means that she must be a whore looking for customers!!! HOW CAN THIS BE!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!:mad:

jackbl
30-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Sad but true. I have heard these and saw the document handled by ICA to the gals :mad: .....
This is so sad. When u see a Thai or Vietnam or PRC or Indian girl walking in the Geylang area, it means that she must be a whore looking for customers!!! HOW CAN THIS BE!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!:mad:

lovesprout
30-08-2009, 03:35 PM
U know ah Hanh at OT??? :D :p

Yes. I met her there. At that night, many VN girls came to talk to me because they had no customers and felt bored. Hanh is the prettiest one and she is shy so I like her a lot.

No offence to you bro, but this is ridiculous!!! U mean your gal is arrested for walking around in Geylang?!!!

Well, I don't know whether my girl told me the truth or not. I also doubted how can she be arrested like that? Maybe she was soliciting a customer at that time, and that customer happened to be a plaincloth cop. This is just my theory, but I didn't try to dig out the truth.