PDA

View Full Version : Tieng Viet lovers club

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

KangTuo
02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
I think so too. MAT KINH= Wear glasses

mắt = eye
kinh = glass
mắt kính = spectacles
đeo mắt kính = put on/wear spectacles

raibo
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
You wear glasses???

yes..

thanks for all the reply

jackbl
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah u are right... I long time no practice liao, simple words also dun know. Going into hibernating mode.:cool:
mắt = eye
kinh = glass
mắt kính = spectacles
đeo mắt kính = put on/wear spectacles

retsoor
03-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Here's a post for brudders who are new to Vietnam and it's language: learning vietnamese will quickly pay off...Vietnam is a beautiful country, there are many famous and beautiful destinations, and equally beautiful con gai VN (VN girls).

unfortunately many foreigners always visit the same spots, which are overcrowded with tourists, and where every vietnamese speaks English. No good places to learn vietnamese. Typical example of a foreign tourist destination: Ha Long Bay.

Here's a suggestion: Try to visit a "vietnamese" destination. Instead of Ha Long Bay, go to Cam Dai Bay (Vinh Cam Dai in vietnamese). Cam Dai Bay is famous all over Vietnam for it's amazing natural beauty, and attracts far more local visitors than Nha Trang Bay and Ha Long Bay together. Most vietnamese visit Cam Dai Bay at least once or twice a year. Cam Dai Bay is widely advertised, you will find signs on almost every street in Vietnam.

So, I encourage every newcomer to Vietnam to discover Cam Dai Bay. Directions are easily available, just ask a reputable travel agent, or any vietnamese!

In vietnamese you can ask "Di Cam Dai Bay nhu the nao?" but of course you can also ask in English...once you get to Cam Dai Bay I guarantee you'll learn vietnamese quickly anyway :)

jackbl
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Chuc cac ban Tet Trung Thu vui ve!!!

casannova03
03-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Chuc cac ban Tet Trung Thu vui ve!!!

Happy MoonCake festival????

lovesprout
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
In vietnamese you can ask "Di Cam Dai Bay nhu the nao?" but of course you can also ask in English...once you get to Cam Dai Bay I guarantee you'll learn vietnamese quickly anyway :)

I didn't realize this is a joke. Fortunately I searched the internet first before I asked my vietnamese friends "Di cam dai bay nhu the nao?" :cool:

http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/q42008/2009/02/13/09/31111234536489.jpg

jackbl
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Happy Mid Autumn Festival :) :rolleyes:
Happy MoonCake festival????

vitruvius79
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, another sms for the professors here.

Background - Met this girl in a pub (as usual, :D) Next day she sms'ed me this.

"hom nay 15-8 e muon di bien choi nhung ko dam cal u hoi a co ranh ko"

which is proper vietnamese is

"hom nay 15-8, em muon di bien choi. Nhung khong dam "call you" hoi anh co ranh khong"

which i translated into

"today is Mid-Autumn Festval, I wanted to go to the beach to play. But didn't dare call you to ask if you are free".

Can the sifu's here please advise if my translation is accurate?

Hurricane88
04-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Ok, another sms for the professors here.

Background - Met this girl in a pub (as usual, :D) Next day she sms'ed me this.

"hom nay 15-8 e muon di bien choi nhung ko dam cal u hoi a co ranh ko"

which is proper vietnamese is

"hom nay 15-8, em muon di bien choi. Nhung khong dam "call you" hoi anh co ranh khong"

which i translated into

"today is Mid-Autumn Festval, I wanted to go to the beach to play. But didn't dare call you to ask if you are free".

Yes quite accurate liao...:)

jackbl
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
How u manage to translate all? Can share with ppl here so that they can see u as an example to strive to learn vietnamese language :D :cool:

vitruvius79
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
How u manage to translate all? Can share with ppl here so that they can see u as an example to strive to learn vietnamese language :D :cool:

Aiyoh, I'm still learning alot from Professor Jackbl and others leh.

All I can suggest for other bros is to learn the common phrases, words and sentence structure for questions. Anyway, it seems like the girls use simple vietnamese so as not to confuse me.:D

So for "hom nay 15-8, em muon di bien choi. Nhung khong dam "call you" hoi anh co ranh khong"

I knew the common phrases.
hom nay - today
em - I (the girl)
muon - like
di - go
nhung - but
khong - not/no/don't
hoi - ask
anh - you (as in the receipient)

Also I knew Vietnamese structure for questions that you can reply with only yes or no, the question structure is "co xxxx khong".
Maybe Master Jackbl can elaborate a bit more here as I am not familar with more complex structures

Anyway after putting what i knew together, I searched the internet for "bien choi", "dam" and "ranh" and put it together.

Either way, I still posted it here for the Masters to verify. :p

lovesprout
05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Yesterday I and my girl in karaoke saw a wedding ceremony on TV. My girl told me "Co dau chu re dam cuoi" What does this sentence mean?

Another "no-head-no-tail" sentence she said was "noi bay cai lon" which I also don't understand.

Any bros here can help? Thanks.

jackbl
05-10-2009, 09:12 AM
"Co dau chu re dam cuoi"= Bride and bridegroom marry

"noi bay cai lon"= talk nonsense/bad words during quarrel

jackbl
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I heard someone told me u working very busy, but i see that u always got many GIRLS leh :D :p :D
Yesterday I and my girl in karaoke

jackbl
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I also dun know how to elaborate on the sentence construction leh, but all words formed up, ppl can understand, can liao :D

Searching the words creates some challenges as in which word does it represents as 1 word w/o the actual sign has a few representations (e.g mà | ma | mả | mã | má | mạ). Hence we need to know the context and guess its meaning :) Good work on your part ;)

Maybe Master Jackbl can elaborate a bit more here as I am not familar with more complex structures

Anyway after putting what i knew together, I searched the internet for "bien choi", "dam" and "ranh" and put it together.

lovesprout
05-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I heard someone told me u working very busy, but i see that u always got many GIRLS leh :D :p :D

Working very busy is just an excuse ma. You never use that excuse before? :p I am free enough to browse this forum 5-6 times a day. I don't have many girls as you la. I only keep one for a period of time (1-2 months). After she is back to VN, then I find a new one.

jackbl
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
U shd know who tell u me v busy right? :D
I cant use the excuse busy, cos everyday i m out, and if i got spotted by the spies then my excuse will be pichak lobang :p
No Wonder your language improved so fast, u have many gals to teach u :D
Sorry to disappoint u, i dun know many gals as u, cos normally i meet her 1-2 times then she gives up on me :p cos they think i m "old-bird"
Working very busy is just an excuse ma. You never use that excuse before? I am free enough to browse this forum 5-6 times a day. I don't have many girls as you la. I only keep one for a period of time (1-2 months). After she is back to VN, then I find a new one.

lovesprout
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
U shd know who tell u me v busy right? :D
I cant use the excuse busy, cos everyday i m out, and if i got spotted by the spies then my excuse will be pichak lobang :p
No Wonder your language improved so fast, u have many gals to teach u :D
Sorry to disappoint u, i dun know many gals as u, cos normally i meet her 1-2 times then she gives up on me :p cos they think i m "old-bird"

It must be Hanh! I didn't know you are still in touch with her. How come you have so much time and money to go out every day? If you spend $50 per day, that is almost 20K per year! I can only afford to go out once a week.

In fact, the best way to improve Tieng Viet is not to go to bar or KTV. The music is too loud there. The best way is to study at home or chat online! Recently I knew one VN girl from HCMC on Skype. She is not WL and she wants me to introduce some Singaporean friends to her (as ong xa candidates). I thought of you immediately. Are you interested?

vitruvius79
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok, another couple of sms'es.

SMS: e hieu, a keu e an nhieu, e khoe cam on a, toi nay e di geylang 15 voi ah chanh

Proper Written Vietnamese: em hieu, anh "keu" em an nhieu, em khoe cam on anh, toi nay em di geylang 15 "voi ah chanh"

English: I know, you "nag" me eat more, I am well thank you, tonight I am going to Geylang 15 "voi ah chanh"

In this case, not too sure what "keu" and "voi ah chanh" means. My wild guess is that "keu"="nag" and "voi ah chanh"="sing ktv" as there is a ktv called sentosa there.

SMS: A an com chua? Dung uong bia nhieu wa, ko tot cho suc khoe

Viet: Anh an com chua? "Dung" uong bia nhieu wa, khong (not) tot cho (good for) suc khoe (health)

English: Have you eaten yet? Don't drink drink so much beer, not good for health.

You know you're drinking too much when the girls you meet tell you not to drink.:( Then again it could be "uong chut chut, lam tinh nhieu nhieu":D

vitruvius79
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
"voi"="with" Ah Chanh being a girl's name
I had always thought "with" was "vui".

Stupid me.:o

jackbl
06-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Thank you for remembering me :) Your kindness is greatly appreciated. I dun hv skype leh :( But i can befriend her first thru yahoo messager ;)
Recently I knew one VN girl from HCMC on Skype. She is not WL and she wants me to introduce some Singaporean friends to her (as ong xa candidates). I thought of you immediately. Are you interested?

jackbl
06-10-2009, 02:04 PM
kêu = to call; to cry
My wild guess is that "keu"="nag" and "voi ah chanh"="sing ktv" as there is a ktv called sentosa there.

KangTuo
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
a bro sms me to translate:

Geo e hen. e lai a dug duoi e nha

"geo e hen" - i dont know what the hack issit
e lai a dug duoi e nha = em lai, anh dung duoi em nha = I come, you don't chase me away

correct me if i am wrong.

jackbl
07-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Ask the BRO to translate leh, too chim for us :( Waiting for your answer :D

retsoor
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
probably geo em = "gheo em" - "flirting with me/teasing me"

"geo e hen" - i dont know what the hack issit

lovesprout
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Any bros here can help translate the following tieng viet taken from lyrics? I was demanded by a girl to learn the song (Giấc mơ màu tím) and sing with her. sigh... Thanks first.

Như mùa đông, băng giá cõi lòng em
Nhớ em nhiều, chỉ biết viết thư tình

Hurricane88
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
probably geo em = "gheo em" - "flirting with me/teasing me"

Yes...you are teasing me = gheo e hen.....:)

jackbl
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Như mùa đông, băng giá cõi lòng em = Like winter, a frozen heart
Nhớ em nhiều, chỉ biết viết thư tình = Miss u alot, only write love letter

jackbl
08-10-2009, 01:07 AM
No more promotion :(
New policy to fix the mobile market
======================================

VietNamNet Bridge – The Ministry of Industry and Trade’s Trade Promotion Department has asked mobile operators to stop their promotion wars. In particular, future promotions will not be allowed to exceed 50 percent of the value of mobile cards for pre-paid mobile subscribers.

The three largest mobile networks in Vietnam – Viettel, MobiFone and VinaPhone - said they received the document from the Trade Promotion Department. All have just finished their promotional programme in which they gave bonuses worth 100 percent of the value of new mobile cards for pre-paid subscribers. People purchasing phone cards worth 100,000 dong, were receiving 200,000 dong in their account. They plan to launch a new promotional campaign with 50 percent of the value of mobile cards.

“The telecom market is being twisted by promotional campaigns. We have to join the race because we have no other way to develop our market. We know that it is doing more harm than good but none of us dares to stop it,” said an official from a major telecom company.

Starting in 2007, mobile networks have tried to slash charges and simcard prices to attract new subscribers to gain the title “the mobile network with highest number of subscribers”. The Ministry of Information and Communications has realised the harmful effects. The ministry has recently announced plans to replace the title “the mobile network with highest number of subscribers” by the “the mobile network with highest number of post-paid subscribers” in its annual Vietnam ICT Awards.

Vietnam has over 80 million mobile subscribers. Viettel, MobiFone and VinaPhone account for the highest numbers of subscribers. Several years ago, the number of post-paid subscribers accounted for 10-15 percent of the total subscribers but at this moment, it is only 3-5 percent. Meanwhile, post-paid subscribers account for 50 percent of the revenues of mobile operators.

VietNamNet/VNE

Rejuvenation
09-10-2009, 05:28 PM
bros... can help me translate from english to tieng viet?

"Certificate Of Divorce"

SING_IN_HCMC
09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
bros... can help me translate from english to tieng viet?

"Certificate Of Divorce"

Bro, I help you first before the seniors come and cu you:

Giấy chứng nhận ly hô = certificate of divorce

Next time refer to JackBl's link for tiengviet tu dien.

SING_IN_HCMC
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Giấy chứng nhận ly hôn = certificate of divorce

typo in red

Rejuvenation
10-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Giấy chứng nhận ly hô = certificate of divorce

bro u using google translate? i think that one not accurate de...

jackbl
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Giấy chứng nhận ly hôn = certificate of divorce

bro u using google translate? i think that one not accurate de...

No, I dun think he uses google translate, i guess he uses "Dictionary"... i check from dictionary and it says:

certificate = giấy chứng nhận
divorce = ly dị .... also can say "ly hôn"

Rejuvenation
10-10-2009, 04:11 PM
No, I dun think he uses google translate, i guess he uses "Dictionary"... i check from dictionary and it says:

certificate = giấy chứng nhận
divorce = ly dị .... also can say "ly hôn"

ic...keke... i also check from viet dictionary...

certificate = chung chi

divorce = ly di

not easy to get the correct one... anyway thanks alot to all bros...already managed to let my gf know wat i'm trying to say...

lovesprout
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Recently, my girl forced me to learn this Vietnamese song and sing with her. I feel this song is very beautiful. Therefore, with the help of Jackbl, I translated the lyrics for those bros who are interested in learning. If my translation is wrong, please let me know. The song can be found at youtube or

Gi?c M? Màu Tím - ?an Tr??ng - H? Qu?nh H??ng | Nghe nh?c - download nh?c - lyrics | Zing Mp3 (http://mp3.zing.vn/mp3/nghe-bai-hat/Giac-Mo-Mau-Tim-Dan-Truong-Ho-Quynh-Huong.IW6OZCIW.html)

Giấc mơ màu tím (Purple dream)

F: Đêm vừa qua, giấc mơ mang màu trắng
Night just comes, dream carries white color (mang = carry)

F: Như mùa đông, băng giá cõi lòng em
Like winter, freeze my soul (coi long = soul)

M: Nhớ em nhiều, chỉ biết viết thư tình
Miss you a lot, only know writing love letter (thu tinh = love letter)

M: Lòng thầm mong mai sẽ được gặp nhau.
My heart expects that tomorrow we can meet each other (tham mong = look forward to)

F: Và giờ đây, giấc mơ là màu tím
At this moment, dream is purple

F: Anh và em, ấm áp trong vòng tay
You and me, feel warm in your arm (vong tay = embrace her in your arm)

M: Đã bao ngày, ta cách xa muôn trùng
Those days (we have lived so far), it is very very far (muong trung = myriad)

M: Trong lòng anh luôn nhớ bóng hình em..
In my heart, I often miss your image (bong hinh = image)

F: Mãi mãi yêu anh không rời xa
Forever love you, won’t leave far (roi xa = leave far)

F: Mãi mãi yêu anh không hề quên
Forever love you, I won’t forget (khong he = not)

M: Mãi mãi yêu em, cho dù mai có phai nhạc màu, cuộc tình ta
Forever love you, although our love could fade away (phai = fade, cuoc tinh ta= our love)

F: Những phút bên anh em thầm mong
The time we stay together, we look forward to it (phut ben: the time we stay together)

F: Giữ lấy trái tim đôi tình nhân.
keep a heart, a love couple (tinh nhan = lover)

M: Những phút bên nhau anh và em ngỡ như xuân về. Bên thềm nhà.
The time we stay together we believe like spring will come back. Flights of steps in front of house (ngo = believe, xuan = spring)

nozila
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey all, JackBL suggested I give you guys a hand at any translation you may need/require.

A little background on my credentials.

I am Vietnamese-Australian. Which basically means that Im of vietnamese heritage, living in Australia for the last two centuries. Speak vietnamese all my life or when required.

Any questions or queries about myself, Jusk ask.

Cheers,

Nozila

KangTuo
12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Gi?c M? Màu Tím - ?an Tr??ng - H? Qu?nh H??ng | Nghe nh?c - download nh?c - lyrics | Zing Mp3 (http://mp3.zing.vn/mp3/nghe-bai-hat/Giac-Mo-Mau-Tim-Dan-Truong-Ho-Quynh-Huong.IW6OZCIW.html)

Giấc mơ màu tím (Purple dream)

Very nice song... thank you for sharing

retsoor
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
chao ong gia! ;)

living in Australia for the last two centuries.

jackbl
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
U are a joker :p :D
chao ong gia! ;)

jackbl
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for lending a hand! This thread will be graced by native speakers like u :D :p Which part of VN u are borned? Which type of accent you have?

Any questions or queries about myself, Jusk ask.

Cheers,

Nozila

nozila
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
chao ong gia! ;)

chao ban. toi khong phai ong gia, cam on.

:)

Oh, I noticed I said centuries instead of decades hahaha..20+years in Aust not 200years
:P

nozila
12-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for lending a hand! This thread will be graced by native speakers like u :D :p Which part of VN u are borned? Which type of accent you have?

Im told from my mum that I was born on the island of phu quoc - prior to leaving overseas by boat as refugee's. FYI phu quoc is south of vietnam.

Im also told that I have a northern accent. That from vietnamese mates and their parents. Dad was originally from the north, mum was from south.

Ive been to VN twice since leaving as a kid, third trip coming up in Nov.

jackbl
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Phu Quoc is a beautiful island in Kiên Giang Province.
Kien Giang is divided into one city (Rạch Giá), one town (Hà Tiên), and twelve districts (huyện) :

An Biên
An Minh
Châu Thành
Giồng Riềng
Gò Quao
Hòn Đất
Kiên Hải
Kiên Lương
Phú Quốc
Tân Hiệp
Vĩnh Thuận
U Minh Thượng

Im told from my mum that I was born on the island of phu quoc - prior to leaving overseas by boat as refugee's. FYI phu quoc is south of vietnam.

Im also told that I have a northern accent. That from vietnamese mates and their parents. Dad was originally from the north, mum was from south.

Ive been to VN twice since leaving as a kid, third trip coming up in Nov.

nozila
12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Phu Quoc is a beautiful island in Kiên Giang Province.
Kien Giang is divided into one city (Rạch Giá), one town (Hà Tiên), and twelve districts (huyện) :

An Biên
An Minh
Châu Thành
Giồng Riềng
Gò Quao
Hòn Đất
Kiên Hải
Kiên Lương
Phú Quốc
Tân Hiệp
Vĩnh Thuận
U Minh Thượng

correct

you know your shit

jackbl
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
What is that??? There is something call internet. u can search anything u like :D

correct

you know your shit

haha_123
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Bro jackbl, I think he meant: You know your STUFF.

Killer_c
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Need help from bros here.. Recvd a sms: 'chao a buoi sang. lam viec vui ve. hom qua e ngu som kg biet sms cua a'

I sent her a sms wishing her good nite (chuc e ngu ngon)

after translation the sentence shld be: Gd morning, lam viec vui ve. Yesterday I sleep early. din knw u sms me.

Any bro can advice the meaning of 'lam viec vui ve'

Lam: much; many; very; a lot
viec: business, affair job, work incident, occurence matter
vui: joyful
ve: to return, to come back to belong to to follow

:confused:

Thanks in advance... :);)

lovesprout
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Need help from bros here.. Recvd a sms: 'chao a buoi sang. lam viec vui ve. hom qua e ngu som kg biet sms cua a' Thanks in advance... :);)

lam viec = working
vui ve = happy

lam viec vui ve = happy working

haha_123
12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
My Vn girlfriend had been pestering me for a new N97 Nokia handphone. So yesterday I got mad and smsed her : Em muon $1000 handphone. Toi so hai va bo chay.
(Meaning : U want a $1000 handphone. I'm scared and run away).

Then she replied : Em k muon $1000 k mua dt nua.
(Meaning : I don't want $1000 and don't want handphone already)

I replied : TOI KG CO TIEN!!!:mad:
(Meaning : I HAVE NO MONEY!!:mad:)

Then she sms : K co tien thoi co ji dau ma k nghe dt vay

Can any kind brother out there translate this sms for me?
Thanks alot.

Btw, this Vn girlfriend of mine wanted me to buy the newest and latest Nokia handphone to impress her other Vn friends, but at my expense. I'm really getting tired of her antics. Today she asked me out for dinner and go lam tinh after that. I bo-chap her and tell her that I'm already booked by another girl. Actually I'm just going home after work, and said this just to spite her. Haha.....

VietnamLover
12-10-2009, 10:43 PM
nozila, welcome to this thread. By the way, are you from Melbourne? I'm sure that there is a lot of Vietnamese people living in Melbourne and perhaps also in Sydney.

nozila
12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
nozila, welcome to this thread. By the way, are you from Melbourne? I'm sure that there is a lot of Vietnamese people living in Melbourne and perhaps also in Sydney.

I live in syd buddy.

nozila
12-10-2009, 11:21 PM
My Vn girlfriend had been pestering me for a new N97 Nokia handphone. So yesterday I got mad and smsed her : Em muon $1000 handphone. Toi so hai va bo chay.

Thanks alot.

Btw, this Vn girlfriend of mine wanted me to buy the newest and latest Nokia handphone to impress her other Vn friends, but at my expense. I'm really getting tired of her antics. Today she asked me out for dinner and go lam tinh after that. I bo-chap her and tell her that I'm already booked by another girl. Actually I'm just going home after work, and said this just to spite her. Haha.....

I'll do my best to translate, the problem with vietnamese girls and guys I suppose is like western countries they also like to use slang or abbrevatives which can make it difficult.
ie dt = dien thoai, k or kg = khong, a = anh, e = em
I guess what Im saying is using these shortened wording can be frustrating to decipher.

Anywho, to what you need help with

"Then she sms : K co tien thoi co ji dau ma k nghe dt vay"

Literal translation is "If no money, so what/doesn't matter, why don't pick up telephone"

I think what she is trying to say, based on the topic on conversation is,
"....If you have no money, that doesnt matter, but why dont you pick up your phone calls". I sense a aggravated/comeback sorta reply.

Hope it helps, sorry for the long post.

nozila
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Bro jackbl, I think he meant: You know your STUFF.

correct, thats what i meant. nothing more, nothing less.

jackbl
13-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Hard hours and low pay – a worker’s long day in IZ
================================================== =======
Doi Moi – ‘economic renovation’ – has brought thousands of factories to Vietnam where production lines run two and three shifts, churning out goods for the world. What’s it like to be one of the millions of young women who work in these IZ (industrial zone) factories?

A quick meal of workers in front of the gate of their factory.

VietNamNet reporters submitted applications and were hired as production line workers by the Year 2000 Electronics Co. in the Linh Trung 1 Export Processing Zone and the Dai Phat Food Co. in the Song Than Industrial Zone in the suburbs of HCM City.

Over the ten days that they worked at the two companies, they learned about the life of female workers in the industrial zones, young women who are becoming spinsters because they don’t have time for their own lives. This is Part I of their investigative report.

Working overtime day and night

9.30 pm. The gates of companies inside the Song Than Industrial Zone open. Thousands of bone-tired workers stream out at the end of a long working day.

Phuong, a woman who works for Dai Phat, pedals her bicycle toward a boarding house, lines of fatigue showing clearly on her young face. She tells the reporters that working overtime has become so familiar to her and her colleagues that whenever she is allowed to go home early, she “feels strange.”

Phuong returns to her 4th floor rented room. The cold walls of the room are bare but for some scrawled words: ‘a worker’s life is sad’ and ‘I’m fed up’ – traces of former occupants. Within minutes, she is asleep, intent on regaining strength for the new working day that starts at 6 am and ends at 9 pm or 10 pm.

“My life is similar to thousands of workers in industrial zones,” Phuong told us. “We choose to leave our homes to make our living, so we have to work hard like buffalo. I know that it is bad for my health if I work overtime everyday but if I don’t, I will not have money left after paying rent and buying my meals to send home to my family”.

Many workers cannot stand the interminable overtime hours so they quit to seek new jobs. That’s why Xuan, 19, a young woman from the central province of Quang Ngai, left Dai Phat. She said that workers in other companies often work overtime for 40-60 hours per month, but the overtime at Dai Phat had been 100-120 hours, month after month. Sometimes workers have had to work until 11 pm, two full shifts.

Having a snap.

The first meal at their work places is an unforgettable memory for new workers. Each gets a tray of food from the company kitchen, rice, soup and a savoury, but the food is cold and made of poor-quality ingredients. There’s not a single piece of vegetable in the soup, the rice is overcooked and hasn’t a bit of aroma. Though you swallow the whole meal, you don’t feel full.

At the DH Footwear Company, a worker named Huyen complained that “they always choose the cheapest fish in the market to cook with a little soy sauce or nuoc mam. Pork is cooked with stinky bamboo shoots and it looks awful. You can wash your hands for three days and still not get rid of the smell.”

“Then they give us rice and dried fish,” Huyen added. “How can we swallow dry rice, dried fish and watery soup? We told each other to to eat that food. But even when we refused it, they didn’t change the menu.”

Though the women work long overtime hours, their income is very low and the meals between shifts are terrible. Workers at some companies have gone on strike to ask for less overtime work and more pay. Employers always promise to change but there is no change at all. Many workers faint because of overwork and lack of nourishing food.

Loan, who works at the AS Garment Company in the Bien Hoa 2 Industrial Zone (Dong Nai), said that the workers’ meal is priced at 9000 dong but its real value is only 5000-6000 dong.

Fainting on the job

Fainting at the workplace has become an ordinary event, because all of the young women must work hard while on short rations.

Everyone at the Song Than baked goods factory is working at top speed, each pair of hands shaping lumps of dough and throwing them onto a conveyer belt. The noise of the machinery is loud and incessant; worker’s ears ring even in their sleep, the smell of yeast lingers in their nostrils.

“Chi, what’s wrong? My God, she’s fainted!” All turn to look at a tall girl who has fallen to the floor, her face turned greenish-white.

Fainting at the workplace has become an ordinary event, because all of the young women must work hard while on short rations. “If you work at an industrial zone, you have to get used to this fact,” said Thao from the Linh Trung EPZ near HCM City City.

All workers are under great pressure to sustain high productivity. They are paid full salary only if they meet their quota. If they do not, their pay will be docked. Worst of all is the constant pressure they feel from team leaders and supervisors to meet the company’s standards and deadlines.

Loan, a worker in the Bien Hoa 2 industrial zone, said that she burst out crying many times because she was scolded by her group leader. “She doesn’t swear, but she speaks harshly and sarcastically. I feel as though she’s whacking me with a hammer, I’m so tired and miserable.”

Many workers have to work during their meal breaks to try to meet the quota. “In my sleep, I still hear my group leader urging me to work harder and harder,” Loan said.

Thai Phuong

Hurricane88
13-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Yes, I think you are strong enough to handle Vn gals...cheers...:)

jackbl
14-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Vietnamese people now eat many kinds of dirty food
================================================== ====
VietNamNet Bridge – The HCM City Health Department has announced it found pseudomonas aeruginosa, a kind of bacteria which causes eye diseases in purified water. Meanwhile, consumers read from foreign newspapers that China-sourced candied and salty dried fruits can cause lead poisoning.

Dried fruits are available at many markets in HCM City

Doctor Nguyen Thi Huynh Mai, Head of the Inspection Team of the HCM City Health Department, announced on October 12 that the department found the bacteria in the sample of SuVi bottled drink water (21 litre bottle, manufacturing date September 28, 2009 and expiry date September 28,, 2010) manufactured by Suoi Viet Purified Water Company headquartered in Binh Hung Commune in Binh Chanh district.

Mai said that no microorganism is allowed to contain in any bottled drink water. The noteworthy thing here is that this is for the second time the product of the company is found as having bacteria. This means that the company did not do anything to improve the quality of its products

The HCM City health inspectors have released a decision to temporarily halt the production and business of Suoi Viet Company and forced the company to call back all under-quality products and destroy them.

The HCM City Health Department has also released the decision on halting the production of nearly ten bottled drink water workshops.

On the same day, Vietnamese consumers started when they read from newspapers that the US and Malaysian food control agencies have warned consumers not to eat candied and salty dried fruits originated from China and Taiwan as the products have high lead content which many cause diseases to human.

Tuoi tre newspaper’s reporters, who took a trip around HCM City, found out that foreign made salty and candied dried fruits are selling at many markets in the city, including Ben Thanh in district 1, An Dong and Kim Bien in district 5 and Binh Tay Market in district 6.

A saleswoman at Binh Tay Market said that the dried fruits have been carried from the north. “No one care where they are from, they just buy them because they like them,” she said

Saigon tiep thi’s reporters have also made a quick survey on the market. They said that it is unclear if the products of the 15 companies mentioned in the warnings of the US and Malaysian agencies are available on Vietnam’s market or not. All the products of this kind now available at the markets in the city do not have labels which show the origins and producers.

According to Doctor Pham Xuan Dung, Deputy Director of the HCM City Tumour Hospital, the long use of lead contaminated food will cause chronic kidney, blood and lung diseases and may cause fatality.

billgates
14-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Actually u need not refer to yrself as "toi..." which is formal.. eg speaking to a stranger.

When speaking to a gal, u refer to yrslf as "Anh" - eg A kg co tien (in abbreviated sms).

Certain expressions r useful to know:
kg co ji - it's ok
kg van de - no problem (used more in hanoi)

Thanks alot.

nozila
14-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Vietnamese people now eat many kinds of dirty food

That article is of concern considering clean purified water is very important.

What brand bottled water is reliable to drink? And can the labels be easily switched ie thinking you are drinking one brand not actually you are drinking suvi? yikes...

nozila
14-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Actually u need not refer to yrself as "toi..." which is formal.. eg speaking to a stranger.

When speaking to a gal, u refer to yrslf as "Anh" - eg A kg co tien (in abbreviated sms).

Certain expressions r useful to know:
kg co ji - it's ok
kg van de - no problem (used more in hanoi)

True. But if you want to get into the whole formal speaking aspect of conversation, I guess you could include this...

to a stranger

"toi ten la nozila, ban ten la ji?"
my name is nozila, (friend) what is your name?

now that would be speaking to a total stranger.

also, perhaps you might take into consideration age differences which also uses the terms Anh and Em

"anh di hoc, em lam ji vay?"
Im going to school, what are you doing?

In the above sentence, the age of the person speaking (anh) and to whom them are speaking to (em) hasnt been gender specified. But you would think Anh is a guy and Em is a girl.

so, what would happen if I say...

"em di hoc, chi lam ji vay?"

jackbl
14-10-2009, 09:50 AM
In my opinion, anyone younger than you (same generation), u can address as EM. For children, then it would be CON, CHAU, etc...
But it would be polite if that person is a man and just few years(1-5) younger than u and u address him as ANH, i think he would feel nice to hear that.

But for lady older than you, but not too much (e.g less than 5), it would be pleasing to her ears if u still address her as EM so that it made her feel Younger and happier :) :D

also, perhaps you might take into consideration age differences which also uses the terms Anh and Em

In the above sentence, the age of the person speaking (anh) and to whom them are speaking to (em) hasnt been gender specified. But you would think Anh is a guy and Em is a girl.

zhu star
14-10-2009, 10:16 AM
chao ban. toi khong phai ong gia, cam on.

:):P

Bro, can translate your sentence? Want to check if my own translation is correct. Thanks

zhu star
14-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Bro, you got a very strong and hard heart to say no to her. 5 years ago, my heart was very soft and I landed up with a very big hole in my pocket. Spent a small fortune on my ex gal which include top of range Mobile phone, Golf set (play 3 x only) Diamond ring etc. I don't mind buying if she treasured it, unfortunately, these things usually got sold off whenever the first opportunity come by.

I am very fortunate now that I know a Northern gal, who really know how to save and has never ask for luxury items from me.

KangTuo
14-10-2009, 10:30 AM
In my opinion, anyone younger than you (same generation), u can address as EM. For children, then it would be CON, CHAU, etc...
But it would be polite if that person is a man and just few years(1-5) younger than u and u address him as ANH, i think he would feel nice to hear that.

But for lady older than you, but not too much (e.g less than 5), it would be pleasing to her ears if u still address her as EM so that it made her feel Younger and happier :) :D

don't call you MASTER also cannot...

jackbl
14-10-2009, 11:29 AM
chao == hello
ban = friend
toi = I
khong phai= am not
ong gia= old man
cam on=thank you

Bro, can translate your sentence? Want to check if my own translation is correct. Thanks

jackbl
14-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow.... u sing praises of me so high, later i fall, will be harder, u know? :D
Aiyah, here so many ppl can speak/write/sing vietnamese better than me, its only they didnt come out to voice their views only.... (SS08, CARROT, VKILLER,etc ...... dun say so many out else invite many "enemies" :p) If they share info, same as YOU, this thread will be v useful. YOU are MASTER of KC!!!

don't call you MASTER also cannot...

nozila
14-10-2009, 11:35 AM
chao == hello
ban = friend
toi = I
khong phai= am not
ong gia= old man
cam on=thank you

jackbl is spot on

jackbl
14-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Friend, heard u wan to go to the Northern Part of VN. Seems that that region is in the danger of "attack" by Storm Parma soon. Please pray for the safety and when u visit there, it will be back to normal.
jackbl is spot on

nozila
14-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Friend, heard u wan to go to the Northern Part of VN. Seems that that region is in the danger of "attack" by Storm Parma soon. Please pray for the safety and when u visit there, it will be back to normal.

Yes, thats my intentions. Ive watched on a few VN channels here and there seems to be alot of bad weather killing innocent people, which is unfortunate. Im in VN in 2 weeks but wont plan where exactly to head until Im there. May fly to Hanoi if necessary, pending weather.

Are you in VN yourself, if you where are you situated?

vitruvius79
14-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Interesting arrangement of verbs if i am correct in my translation :)

SMS - E cam on a hom nay dan e di choi. Neu e co noi gi sai, hay la lam phien a cho e xin loi. Hom nay e biet e noi chuyen nhieu, co gi dung buon e nhe.:-)

Viet/Eng - E cam on a hom nay dan (dẫn) e di choi (beach). Neu (if) e (I) co noi (have said) gi (anything) sai (wrong), hay là (or) làm phiền (disturbed, irritated) a cho e xin loi. Hom nay e biet e noi chuyen(talk) nhieu (alot), có gì (anything) đừng (don't be) buồn (sad) e nhe.:-)

Translation - I thank you today bring me to the beach. If I said anything wrong, or irritated you, I'm sorry. Today I know I talk alot, anyway don't be sad for me.

If I'm not wrong, "co gi" means "anything". Also, not too sure how "cho" is used in this context.

zhu star
14-10-2009, 03:24 PM
chao == hello
ban = friend
toi = I
khong phai= am not
ong gia= old man
cam on=thank you

jackbl is spot on

Cam on nhieu2:)

billgates
14-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Generally, toi and ban is fine and gender-neutral, but kinda weird to use among friends.

BTW "ban" meaning friend, is pronounced like "but" in the north with a silent "n".

Em refers to a girl and also a guy younger than you. So in a restaurant, i might call a younger male waiter "em oi...!"

Chi is usually an elder sister.

Khong phai can also mean "incorrect" or "not right". Eg in a situation I might make a mistake while filling in a form and exclaim: "Ay da... kg phai!" (da is pronounced "za")

What I know is more northern-centric, meaning I learnt my stuff in Hanoi (a bit like Beijing Mandarin, which everyone says shld be standard). May or may not apply in Saigon. Haha... am i making things complicated?

True. But if you want to get into the whole formal speaking aspect of conversation, I guess you could include this...

to a stranger

"toi ten la nozila, ban ten la ji?"
my name is nozila, (friend) what is your name?

now that would be speaking to a total stranger.

KangTuo
14-10-2009, 04:31 PM
SMS - E cam on a hom nay dan e di choi. Neu e co noi gi sai, hay la lam phien a cho e xin loi. Hom nay e biet e noi chuyen nhieu, co gi dung buon e nhe.:-)

Translation - I thank you today bring me to the beach. If I said anything wrong, or irritated you, I'm sorry. Today I know I talk alot, anyway don't be sad for me.

If I'm not wrong, "co gi" means "anything". Also, not too sure how "cho" is used in this context.

choi = to play, to have fun
lam phien = bother, disturb, annoy, irritate

in this context:
cho e xin loi = let me say sorry to you
co gi dung buon e nhe = anything don't be sadden by (unhappy about) me

naemlo
14-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Em refers to a girl and also a guy younger than you. So in a restaurant, i might call a younger male waiter "em oi...!"

A more polite way for a ger to address a waitress even she is younger, can be "chi oi".

Chi is usually an elder sister.

I guess u meant "older ger" too.

naemlo
14-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I am very fortunate now that I know a Northern gal, who really know how to save and has never ask for luxury items from me.

Northern ger?? :D Then why didn't come n visit me?

nozila
14-10-2009, 06:04 PM
A more polite way for a ger to address a waitress even she is younger, can be "chi oi".

would be funny if you call her "chi" and she gets offended cause you think she looks old and then you are slapped or not served by her.

i believe any girl younger then you should be called "Em".

haha_123
14-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Bro, yes u are right. But I purposely address myself as "toi" instead of "anh", to show that I want to keep a distance from her. She will then go absolutely nuts and do whatever it takes to 'keep me close to her'.:p
It works everytime.

Last time I had another Vn girl who gets angry whenever I address her as "chi" instead of "em". She thinks that I'm not on 'intimate terms with her'.

Then last night another Vn girl gets angry with me because I didn't put the words 'my darling' when I sent an sms to her to wish her good night.
I quickly replied : "I'm sorry, my darling".
But she said : "U only write my darling when I ask u to. I feel sad now. Huhu..." Hmmm, so cute....:D

nozila
14-10-2009, 09:13 PM
playing hard to get, dangling the carrot in front of the house approach.

hahahaha

:p

zhu star
15-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Northern ger?? :D Then why didn't come n visit me?

I already say I din know you are in Hanoi, all the while I tot u are in the land of smile. Next time sure contact u:)

naemlo
15-10-2009, 10:26 AM
would be funny if you call her "chi" and she gets offended cause you think she looks old and then you are slapped or not served by her.

I dun address the waitress as "chi", it is my ger who address "chi". I asked her why, she mentioned more polite. :rolleyes: For me, I will just shout "em oi" when I need anything. I guess it is like in Thai, sometime even when the taxi driver who might be younger, we still address him as "pii" or in China, "师父“

Honey Boon
15-10-2009, 02:30 PM
they will only get angry if you forget to send $$ la :D

Bro, yes u are right. But I purposely address myself as "toi" instead of "anh", to show that I want to keep a distance from her. She will then go absolutely nuts and do whatever it takes to 'keep me close to her'.:p
It works everytime.

Last time I had another Vn girl who gets angry whenever I address her as "chi" instead of "em". She thinks that I'm not on 'intimate terms with her'.

Then last night another Vn girl gets angry with me because I didn't put the words 'my darling' when I sent an sms to her to wish her good night.
I quickly replied : "I'm sorry, my darling".
But she said : "U only write my darling when I ask u to. I feel sad now. Huhu..." Hmmm, so cute....:D

Reaper
15-10-2009, 05:04 PM

"Chi" translated losely means OLDER sister. Used by younger people to address a slightly OLDER FEMALE whom they know for quite some time.

Honey Boon
16-10-2009, 12:08 PM
sounds like hokkien version of sister .... :)

"Chi" translated losely means OLDER sister. Used by younger people to address a slightly OLDER FEMALE whom they know for quite some time.

jackbl
18-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I m in singapore singaporean chinese :)
Are you in VN yourself, if you where are you situated?

jackbl
18-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Continue from the below

‘As dull as our daily gruel’

VietNamNet Bridge – Hard work, cheap food, no social life, dreams of escape – the life of the women workers of Vietnam’s industrial zones unfolds in two places only: their rented rooms and their workshops.

Part II of VietNamNet’s investigation of the lives of workers in the export factories.

When beatings won’t make the TV work

There’s nothing glamorous about the lives of the young women who work on the assembly lines of thousands of Vietnamese factories. When VietNamNet’s reporters spent ten days ‘under cover’ working in an industrial zone (IZ) near HCM City, almost all the workers they met did little but shuttle between factory and boarding house.

Every afternoon, millions of workers leave the IZ’s on bicycles or by foot. “A motorbike is a luxury for a poor workers like me,” said Hoa, who works in the Amata IZ near Bien Hoa City. “Sometimes we talk about going somewhere, but we have only bicycles, mostly real clunkers. Some girls even don’t have a bicycle. So usually we end up hanging out in our rented rooms not far from the factory.”

In Hoa’s room, the most expensive object is a small TV set that’s seen better years. “You have to beat it to force it to work,” she said with a grin.

But sometimes the TV set won’t turn on even though “beaten” hard. Then all the roommates troop to a nearby room to watch TV. However, there’s a problem, explained Hoa’s friend Hien. “They [in the other room] are newly-married, so it feels weird to watch their TV. At such moments, I miss my TV set at home so much.”

Many workers, though they’ve been in HCM City for two years, hardly ever leave their rooms except to go to the workplace. Day by day, their spirits atrophy. The young women of the factory zones rarely – perhaps never -- enjoy an evening of fun or a day of sightseeing. Once a year, they go for a holiday visit to their country village, bearing gifts if they can. The rest of the time is spent on the job. If they aren’t working overtime and the TV won’t work, their only amusement is chatting with roommates or an early bedtime.

Earning a tiny wage and thinking all the time that they need to send money home, the workers eat very simply. Their meals are just rice and vegetables. For many workers, breakfast the next day is a little rice left over from dinner, fried with a bit of garlic salt.

“That’s our life! Totally boring!” Hoa said. Now and then, to ‘change the atmosphere,’ Hoa and her roommates imagine a dream dinner. “While we are eating vegetables, we pretend that we are eating a chicken leg, or pork or fish. It actually makes us all feel better!”

More dreams

The women workers of the industrial zones don’t just dream about “imaginary meals”.

Trang, another Amata IZ worker, had to drop out of school when she was a ninth grader because her family is very poor. At 15, she left her home in far off Quang Ngai for HCM City, hoping to find a job. Still too young for factory work, Trang said, she sold buns and sweets, helped out in stores, did housework – “any job that was honest and paid money.”

“The first big sum I earned was 700,000 dong. I sent 600,000 to my grandma and two sisters,” Trang said. “In a lot of my “helper” jobs, I got to eat for free, so I had some money left over.”

As she struggled to earn a living and support her family, Trang’s dream of going back to school did not die. Now 18, Trang is old enough to work in an IZ. She works all day and studies at night, dreaming that one day she can change her life.

Trang is not unusual. Many of the IZ workers in industrial zones study in their spare time, hoping to escape from the “worker’s life.” They confide that the drudgery of the production line has helped them to understand that “only by study can [they] change their lives and escape from poverty”.

“One year living as a worker helps me understand the cost of not having a degree. I weep for the time I wasted before,” said Thuy, a worker at the Linh Trung Export Processing Zone.

But if these young women are asked to choose between quitting their job or quitting studying, they agree that’s an impossible choice. They must have their job to live but they cannot quit studying because education is the only way to rise . So they choose both.

Thai Phuong

pingone
18-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi bros,

any bros can help translate 'e yeu a. e khong muon lam ban'

know nuts about viet language.

'e yeu a' i supposed is i love u from girl to guy.
the next sentence i not sure liao.

any help is appreciated.

Hurricane88
18-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi bros,

know nuts about viet language.

'e yeu a' i supposed is i love u from girl to guy.
the next sentence i not sure liao.

any help is appreciated.

Yes you are right on first sentence. 2nd sentence is "i dun wan to work selling or friend"...expert wat you think...:)

pingone
18-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes you are right on first sentence. 2nd sentence is "i dun wan to work selling or friend"...expert wat you think...:)

hmm.. must be trying to lay KC trap..
caution caution liao.. although i dont exactly know wat she wanted though.
haha.
thanks bro for the help.

wat meaning do you think she intended?

Hurricane88
18-10-2009, 01:24 PM
hmm.. must be trying to lay KC trap..
caution caution liao.. although i dont exactly know wat she wanted though.
haha.
thanks bro for the help.

wat meaning do you think she intended?

You need to tell us where and how you get to know her...what other things was discussed before this so we can tell better...:)

Creakic
18-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi bros,

I love you, I don't want to be just friends.

jackbl
18-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Bro, obviously u didnt make full use of my CD given to u for FREE liao.... ;) :p :D
2nd sentence is "i dun wan to work selling or friend"...expert wat you think...

Hurricane88
19-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Bro, obviously u didnt make full use of my CD given to u for FREE liao.... :p :D

Yes, I know, I had been very lazy to learn...I was posting using my mobile phone so never really check dictionary...:)

Anyway no harm done but close enough translation...:)

KangTuo
19-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Bro, obviously u didnt make full use of my CD given to u for FREE liao....

The CD you give is really very basic tieng viet... you gave me the last time and I forget to tell you I also got that files. :D

But if are willing to give another kind of CD for free, I am willing to accept many... as I lack of it now. :p

Hurricane88
19-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Bro, obviously u didnt make full use of my CD given to u for FREE liao.... ;) :p :D

BTW, I dun need it anymore...do you wan it back so that you an pass on to another keen learner...:)

jackbl
20-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Even ppl withing the same country also discriminate rural students, let alone Foreigner (Custom Sillypore :D)
Country kid students struggle in the big cities
================================================== ===
VietNamNet Bridge – For many rural students heading to big city universities isn’t as perfect as they imagined it to be.

The reality of the big cities can come as a shock as rurally raised young people complain about high living costs and cultural differences which make it hard for them to integrate.

“People here don’t understand me. They always ask me to repeat myself. I find it hard to communicate so now I only talk with friends from the same province,” said Nguyen Thi Hoai, a new student of the HCM City University of Culture.

Many other students from the central provinces like Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Binh Dinh and Phu Yen, also say they find communication difficult as a result of their accent. Many admit to becoming quiet in the class and feeling lonely.

Le Thi Bich Huong described herself as a dynamic person who always previously joined in class’ activities. However, she has become quite different since she became a university student. “The saleswomen at the market could not understand what I wanted to purchase. My friends in the same room always joke about my accent,” she said.

‘One time, I came to the market to ask for a bottle of soya sauce. However, the saleswoman asked me to repeat the word so many times that I felt ashamed and I left,” Huong said.

She said friends just point to the things they want to buy, while they dare not speak. Sometimes they have to purchase products at high prices because they dare not bargain.

Meanwhile, other students are also facing problems in daily life.

“Everything is expensive here in HCM City. A bunch of rau muong is priced at 5000 dong, while it was just 1000 dong in my home village,” Thu, a new student of the HCM City Transport University, said.

That explains why many students, who had two million dong in their pocket when they arrived in HCM City and hoped make the money last a month, have run out after just two weeks.

The life style in also unfamiliar with students from the provinces. “Elder students automatically think that I am a house maid. They ask me to do everything. One of them has even borrowed my new shirt to go out,” Dao Minh Tam, a student, said.

Nam, a student of the HCM City University of Culture, complained that he was asked to organise a party in order to be recognised as the new member of the room in the dormitory.

“I wasted 200,000 dong and I got drunk,” he said.

VietNamNet/VnMedia

jackbl
20-10-2009, 04:19 PM
The CD you give is really very basic tieng viet... you gave me the last time and I forget to tell you I also got that files. :D

But if are willing to give another kind of CD for free, I am willing to accept many... as I lack of it now.

BTW, I dun need it anymore...do you wan it back so that you an pass on to another keen learner...

I felt that those basic will lead u to road very far and smooth. If u can pronounce the 6 tonal words, and u can write in their signal, u can self-learnt and progress a long path :)

Now my compilation consists of mp3 and flv files, dictionary, and programs that translate viet<->english with pronounciation,etc , i think more than those i passed it to u. I learnt less than 10% from it, due to long time in practical fields..... If u learnt 50% I think u wont hv problem communication with a vietnamese :D

jackbl
21-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Vietnam’s Generation 8X – Born to be wild
===============================================

VietNamNet Bridge – Vietnam’s twenty somethings are headed out on the highway and looking for adventure.

They are calling it Phuot - a slang term describing a new kind of tourism Vietnamese youth are embracing in large numbers -- traveling on motorbikes to discover Vietnam.

Phuot and du lich bui, meaning “dusty travel”, are the holidays of choice for the “8X” or eighties generation, reports Saigon Tiep thi, a business paper with a keen eye for trends.

Du lich bui means opting for backpacking tourism, self-designed and low-cost tourism with four ‘nos’: no tour, no guide, no bus and no hotel.

Meanwhile the phuot travellers are adventurers and explorers.They like traveling to mountainous areas, where normal Vietnamese tourists would not think of going. They want to discover new lands, culture and people.

Their motorbikes are a means of escape allowing them to breathe fresh air and admire beautiful landscapes on their way.

Westerners may see the trend as replicating what first happened in Europe and North America in the fifties and sixties. Now, in Vietnam young people with money in their jeans and bikes of their own are becoing eastern easy riders. They want to marry later and are bored with traditional youth group activities.

There are many phuot groups in Hanoi organised around a common love of travelling on motorbikes, reports Saigon Tiep thi. Generally, a young man who calls himself TtvnSpace, an experienced member of the phuot community, said that phuot groups always prepare well before trips. Born to be wild they may be – but they still carefully plan routes to follow and draw up itineraries.

Packing is not a simple business either: tools to mend punctures, dried alcohol for cooking, pots for preparing meals, coffee, fast food, medicine and dressings in case of injuries. Everyone is assigned duties.

“When we travel on motorbikes, we can do many things during our trips,” said Thanh Nga, a phuot enthusiast. “I can touch branches of trees and blades of grass, and breathe the fragrance of mountains and forests,” she said

“We can stop for a while on our way if we like, perhaps to brew a cup of coffee,” Nga continued. “We can admire beautiful landscapes at any time we want, take pictures or relax.”

Accidents are the thing phuot travelers fear most. Because they typically travel to remote areas in the northwest, northeast or central region, and go over bumpy roads, they face big risks: motorbikes may break down, or travelers may be thrown from the bikes.

However, the phuot groups are ever optimistic and they never shrink from challenges. One traveler said: “Thanks to the trips, I have experience of traveling on long-distance roads, and dealing with troubles”.

Thu Hoai, another member of the phuot community, does not remember accidents. She remembers instead the moment when she was so excited as her group crossed a pass and saw far below, the smoke of cooking fires rising from a valley village, children and dogs, mountains and forests and terraced fields.

Romances are common too. A bond forged over thousands of kilometers. All the Phuot community in Hanoi know of the love story of TtvnSpace and his bride. The honeymoon Phout’s first couple was also spent on bikes, a trip to four provinces in the northwest, including a first ever circuit of remote Mu Cang Chai (Yen Bai).

Le Trieu Duong, nicknamed Dugia, now in his fifties, was a pioneer among phuot travelers.

Duong is not an indifferent traveler. When he hears about the damages caused by typhoons and floods, Duong collects money, food and clothes from other people and takes them on his motorbike to areas where people need aid.

VietNamNet/Saigon Tiep thi

jackbl
22-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Sex not just a laughing matter, experts say
===========================================

We love to joke about sexuality, but the subject must be taken more seriously to curb sex crimes, according to a prominent researcher.

A newly released report says that the lack of understanding about sex may be a leading cause of sexual abuse in Vietnam.

“We are used to joking about sexuality but have failed to study it seriously,” said Khuat Thu Hong of the Institute for Social Development Studies (ISDS).

“As a result, we are always confused or avoid discussing the issue when coping with the bad consequences of the lack of sexual understanding,” she said.

She was speaking at a press conference on Tuesday in Hanoi unveiling a study of the social structure of sexuality in Vietnam.

Truth behind every joke?

Hong conducted the report together with Le Bach Duong and Nguyen Ngoc Huong, also from ISDS. The study is included in the book “Sexuality in contemporary Vietnam: Easy to joke about but hard to talk about.”

Hong said Vietnamese people had many misconceptions about sex. While it was a funny subject to joke about, Hong argued that it was time to learn how to talk about sexuality seriously.

“Anything about sexuality that we don’t normally joke about, like homosexuality, is considered sick, unusual or imported from outside the country,” she said.

She said the lack of understandings about sexuality was the main cause of underage sex, premarital abortions, HIV/AIDS, adultery, prostitution and the sexual abuse of children.

“People have mistakenly blamed these issues on the impacts of the market economy and western culture,” she added.

Researchers have said sexuality remained a difficult topic to study, from both a scientific and policy perspective as there was not a body of research to build off.

Experts have also argued that the lack of knowledge about sexuality would threaten any policy and even socio-economic development programs.

Uneven scales

The study, conducted from 2003 to 2008 under the sponsor of the Ford Foundation, found many parents teach their daughters that sexuality is just something that could cause disadvantages, losses, and shame for the girl as well as her family.

The most important message from parents to daughters is to keep themselves away from sexuality, but this is not the message delivered to their sons, researchers said.

Young women thus grow up with the conception that men are dangerous because they are full of sexual desires and that women have to protect themselves.

Up to a quarter of people surveyed for the study said they had had sex before marriage, with 45 percent of men and 23 percent of women answering in the affirmative.

The research group said sexuality outside marriage has been accepted more widely throughout society, but especially by men.

Many men don’t even debate whether or not to have sex outside marriage, instead only thinking about how to conceal affairs with their wives, researchers said.

However, sexuality outside marriage among women is harshly criticized and carries deep social stigma, the study found.

A 45-year-old woman surveyed said that men having sex outside marriage was “just for entertainment” without any intention to marry the mistress. But she said a family could be torn apart when a wife has sex outside marriage.

Family ties

Many people accepted their partner’s infidelity as the cost of maintaining their marriage, while the lack of love and unsatisfied sexual demands were not among the top reasons cited for divorce by the survey.

In these cases, the spouses often maintain their family for the future of their children, saving face for themselves and their family and maintaining the same living standards for all involved.

Unsatisfied sexual demand was not strong enough to break a family but could force people, including the middle-aged, to find sex outside the home. Those having sex outside marriage often said that it was to satisfy their personal demand and that they were trying to find a “solution.”

“A marriage in Vietnam is often protected by any means necessary by all those involved people as well as other social institutions,” the report said.

Reported by Tue Nguyen

KangTuo
22-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Some viet gal ask me for the exact translation of the following. I know the meaning but do not know the EXACT translation. Any bro kind enuff help?

TV: Potay
Eng:
Chi:

TV: Hieu chet lien
Eng:
Chi:

jackbl
23-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Working condition bad and pay low in Industrial Zone

Originally Posted by jackbl

WTO bring job opportunities but income still low for rural women

VietNamNet Bridge – Since Vietnam entered the World Trade Organisation (WTO), rural women have more opportunities yet incomes remain low.

The situation was highlighted in research by the Institute for Labor and Social Sciences which blames the problem on a lack of skills.

The information was taken from interviews with 250 women in the northern province of Hai Duong and southern province of Dong Thap.

According to the research, two years after joining the WTO, the expansion of industrial zones (IZs) in the two provinces have created many more job opportunities for women because most factories are seafood and food processing, garments and footwear, which prefer female workers.

Up to 80-90 percent of workers in these sectors are women. However, job opportunities are mostly available for women below the age of 35, who are secondary and high school graduates.

The research says IZs also attract many migrant female workers from neighbouring provinces. Women between the ages of 17-25 account for over 80 percent of the total migrant workers. Up to 90 percent of migrant female workers say their income has risen.

The income for rural women is still low because they mainly do unskilled tasks. Female workers in the electronics sector earn the highest monthly income, around 2 million dong. The figure drops to between 1.2 and 1.5 million for workers in garment, footwear and seafood processing enterprises.

According to the Institute for Labor and Social Sciences these levels of income are two to three times higher than agricultural production but rural female workers can save only 200,000-400,000 per month after paying for rented rooms and meals.

Moreover, working conditions in most of enterprises are not good. Simple and repetitive tasks for over ten hours a day are very boring for most workers.

Based on the research, the institute proposed 18 recommendations to local and central governments to combine gender into their policies.

Gia Van

jackbl
23-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Che! = My fav dessert
==================================

Delicious rather than revolutionary best describes this Vietnamese cocktail.

Nobody knows where che originated from only that the colorful thickshake-like cocktail of many ingredients has been around Asia for a long time.

It’s still common to see a woman put down her shoulder pole and baskets and serve up glasses and bowls of che, though not as much as when the streets were narrower and packed with people rather than motor vehicles.

Other countries with culinary similarities have had a big influence on che.

For instance, the Chinese che served in the restaurants and cafes of Ho Chi Minh City’s District 5 is laced with supposedly therapeutic herbs and spices.

Thai che is fruitier, as are the Vietnamese versions, though the latter are really characterized by the beans, peas and coconut milk of the standard recipe.

Within the country, the style varies from region to region.

Hanoi che is elegant and simple, Hue che is noted for its sweetness, and Saigon che varies according to which fruits are in season.

It’s the pomelo fruit, jasmine and banana oil that give northern che its distinctive taste, and scraped coconut flesh and molasses that sweeten the cocktail without going too far.

Northern che is simple to cook. The base, which can be embellished as you will, is made by stewing a handful of green or black beans for half an hour, sprinkling sugar into the pot according to taste, and adding banana oil.

In the less tropical climate of northern Vietnam, a chilled glass of che makes for a refreshing treat on a muggy summer’s day, just as a piping-hot bowlful is ideal for warming the insides on a frosty winter’s morning.

In Hue in the central region, the local che was a favorite with the feudal kings of old, and the nervous cooks in the royal kitchen were very careful to make it just right lest they incur displeasure from up high.

The modern cook can copy the court chef by shelling some lotus seeds, simmering them with added sugar for a while, putting the seeds into peeled longans to replace the stones that have been removed, and serving the longans with the heart transplant in a bowl of hot sugary syrup.

There are many types of yummy Hue che, one of which is che troi nuoc and is made by wrapping green beans and sugar in sticky rice paste and coating it with sesame seeds, then scalding the lot with boiling water.

Other variations use a liquid made by pouring boiling water over scrapings of coconut flesh, squeezing out the juice, then boiling the juice to prevent an upset tummy.

These include che bap with baby corn, tapioca, dried coconut, wheat flour and sugar; che dau van with broad beans, sugar and flour; che dau do with red beans and sugar; che dau xanh danh with ground green beans and sugar; and che khoai mon with taro and sticky rice.

Down south the che is fattier, relies more on fruit and usually includes lots of small boba balls made by mixing tapioca and carrageenan powder.

Some che recipes are suitable for all climates, notably che ba ba with manioc, sweet potato, green beans, sugar and coconut flesh; che buoi with pomelo skin, sugar, roasted peanuts, dried coconut, and fragrant pomelo; che chuoi with banana, white sugar, banana oil, coconut flesh juice, fresh milk and salt; and the many versions that incorporate common beans.

There are also two che cakes that are commonly laid out as offerings to one’s ancestors at the lunar new year: che kho made with green lentils, white sugar and sesame; and the bitter che lam containing of sticky rice, molasses and ginger.

Plenty of restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City have che on their menus. Here are a few:

Ky Dong: 153/7 Ky Dong Street, Ward 9, District 3

Nam Bo: 16/1A Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Da Kao Ward, District 1

Hoai Pho: 285/94A Cach Mang Thang Tam Street, Ward 12, District 10 .

Cung Dinh Hue: 729 Cach Mang Thang Tam Street, Ward 6, Tan Binh District

Reported by Nguyen Ly

jackbl
24-10-2009, 11:51 AM
New graduates try to stay in the big cities, no matter what
================================================== ====

VietNamNet Bridge – Most of Vietnam’s university graduates hope to find big city jobs with attractive salaries. That’s particularly hard for young people from the provinces.

Taking any job till something better comes along

A lot of new graduates have failed to find good jobs that fit their professional training. Even so, they never give up the dream of staying in the big cities. They’ll accept any job they can find (deliveryman, receptionist, salesman or tutor), so that they can get by while waiting for a more professional job.

Phan Thi My Chi graduated from the accounting course of a junior college three months ago. She intends to stay in HCM City ‘at any cost’. Chi has applied to work for many companies but none have interviewed her.

“I graduated with good marks, but I do not have experience, while companies all require relevant work experience,” she said. For now, Chi is assembling footwear for a company at Linh Trung Export Processing Zone while waiting for other opportunities.

Students who studied social sciences seem to face the biggest difficulties finding jobs.

When VnMedia reporters came to meet three new cultural heritage management graduates in their eight square metre room, the young men were considering their finances. Hieu is now a waiter and Hoa is cleaning motorbikes. Thanh also has not found any job in a state management agency. However, because he can play the guitar very well, he has found a job as a guitarist for a café.

The students know well that the opportunities to find professional jobs in the cities are slim. Many agencies and companies have a policy of only employing those whose residence book (ho khau) shows they have the right to reside permanently in the locality. Other companies set high requirements on degrees, appearance and experience of candidates. However, the students still cherish their hope.

Life is tough

While waiting for opportunity to knock, the recent graduates have to face a lot of difficulties. Take Dang Van Thoai from Phu Yen province, for instance. Thoai related that he is now working for Tuan Hung Import-Export Company in HCM City. “I earn two million dong a month. One and one-half million of that goes for my basic needs. I have to take extra classes in the evening and all the money I get is just enough to feed me,” Thoai said.

“Universities and junior colleges only focus on providing theoretical knowledge. Thus we lack necessary skills for our jobs. The university degree just can help you get short-listed,” said Le Thi Hoa, who is now working for Mobifone, the mobile phone service provider.

Tu Anh, a new graduate of the HCM City University of Social Sciences and Humanity, felt lucky when she was secured work as a clerk or an e-commerce company. However, Anh had to ‘say goodbye’ to the company just after two months of working. Though she got many promises before she took the job, but everything turned out to be different. Anh was asked to work in sales as well and she rapidly tired of it.

Nguyen Van Thuong, a journalism graduate, has worries of his own. He is working for VTC television and he always fears that the stiff competition here may weed him out some day.

Yet no matter how hard their lives, no one wants to return to the home villages, because they know that they will not even have opportunities to find jobs there.

VietNamNet/VnMedia

peirong82
24-10-2009, 11:36 PM
wats the meaning of vay thu 3 a co toj cho e choi ko???

peirong82
24-10-2009, 11:39 PM
meaing of-----,vay thu ba co dj choi ko???

peirong82
24-10-2009, 11:42 PM
any1 noes the meaning of vay thu ba co dj choi ko:)

Hurricane88
25-10-2009, 12:00 PM
any1 noes the meaning of vay thu ba co dj choi ko:)

Vay - so
Thu ba - Tuesday
co - can
dj - ???
choi - to play
ko - can or not

So tuesday can ??? to play can or not....so you need to find out what is the long form of dj...any expert want to contribute...:)

SING_IN_HCMC
25-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Vay - so
Thu ba - Tuesday
co - can
dj - ???
choi - to play
ko - can or not

So tuesday can ??? to play can or not....so you need to find out what is the long form of dj...any expert want to contribute...:)

dj = di = go
Vn people like to substitute i with j

KangTuo
25-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Vay - so
Thu ba - Tuesday
co - can
dj - ???
choi - to play
ko - can or not

dj = di = go
not about long form or short form.
by text 'j'. only press number 5 once
by texting 'i' you. need to press number 4 three times

SING_IN_HCMC
25-10-2009, 01:21 PM
dj = di = go
not about long form or short form.
by text 'j'. only press number 5 once
by texting 'i' you. need to press number 4 three times

Oh, hieu roi, a short cut. I always wonder why i=j...thought it mean some Vn tonations..now I learn something new.

Cam on anh nhieu.

blur185
25-10-2009, 02:44 PM
can someone help me?
Ang dang lam gi do?
An com chua

can help me?

blur185
25-10-2009, 03:01 PM
anh dang lam gi do?
an com chua

can someone help me with the translation?

pek2sin
25-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Some viet gal ask me for the exact translation of the following. I know the meaning but do not know the EXACT translation. Any bro kind enuff help?

Eng:
Chi:

Eng:
Chi:
KangTuo

Eng: Tie my hands, which mean you cant do anything.
However, VN youngers tend to use this phrase to express they have no comments on an action or behavior

Chi:

Eng: If I understand, I will die immediately
It means something very hard to comprehend
Chi:

jackbl
26-10-2009, 01:39 AM
1. Daily Greeting

Chao e! E khoe kg? An gi chua? Dang lam gi vay?
Hello! How are u? Eat anything already? Wat are u doing?

Other than "CHAO e", you can use:
Xin chao/Chao=Hello
Chao Buoi Sang/Chieu/Toi=Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening

Ngu day chua? An com chua? Doi bung kg?
Wake up already? Eat rice already? Are u hungry?

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Alo, e dang o dau? Dang lam gi?
Hello, where are u now? What are u doing?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = at hotel
o cho = at market
o ngoai (duong) = at outside (road)
o chùa = at temple
o cho lam = at working place
o trung tâm buôn bán } shopping centre
o trung tâm thương mại }

Em co nho anh kg? A nho e nhieu lam! May ngay nay kg gap em, a rat buon.
Do u miss me? I miss u alot! These few days didnt meet u, I very sad

2.Wishing Good day/nite

Chuc em ngu ngon! Co giac mo dep!
Wish u good night! Have a nice dream!

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

Dem nay em di ngu di...em se gap anh trong giac mo nhe
Go to sleep this night...you will meet me in your dream

Chuc a 1 ngay moi co that nhieu niem vui, hanh phuc va gap nhieu may man
Wish u a new day have really many joys, happiness and many lucks

3.Time

Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Now= bây giờ, giờ đây, hiện nay, ngày nay

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?
Today what time u go to work?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

hidetox
26-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? Can't seem to make out what's she telling me!

e phai di lam de goi tien cho me . me o vn benh roi . ko co tien e buon lam.

lovesprout
26-10-2009, 09:19 AM
anh dang lam gi do?
an com chua

anh dang lam gi do = what are you doing over there?
an com chua = have you eaten?

lovesprout
26-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? Can't seem to make out what's she telling me!

e phai di lam de goi tien cho me . me o vn benh roi . ko co tien e buon lam.

I must go to work in order to send money to my mom. mom is sick in vietnam. have no money I am sad.

jackbl
26-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I wonder why people here dun bother to check out the available info first before they post? I hv make effort to quote some simple sentence/words but they just simply ignore :mad:

http://www.sammyboyforum.com/4228059-post3113.html

KangTuo
26-10-2009, 10:25 AM
KangTuo

Eng: Tie my hands, which mean you cant do anything.
However, VN youngers tend to use this phrase to express they have no comments on an action or behavior

Chi:

Eng: If I understand, I will die immediately
It means something very hard to comprehend
Chi:

how about direct translation?

Hurricane88
26-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I must go to work in order to send money to my mom. mom is sick in vietnam. have no money I am sad.

Bro, your tieng viet is now master class...keep it up...:)

SureScore
26-10-2009, 01:11 PM
anh dang lam gi do?
an com chua

See told you to post here. There are plenty of Viet expert here.

hidetox
26-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Cam on, master lovesprout! :D

lovesprout
26-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Bro, your tieng viet is now master class...keep it up...:)

Master class is referring to bros like Jackbl. I am still a little fish. Yesterday I just came back from Vietnam. I realized that I still cannot communicate with them with my tieng viet. I feel very sad right now.

When I was at Le Duyen salon, the girl asked me, "Anh yeu may nguoi?" I thought she asked me "How many girlfriends do you have?" But later it seemed like her meaning was "How many girlfriends have you ever had?" Any "master" here can confirm my suspicion?

Thom07
26-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Eng:
Chi:

Eng:
Chi:

KT, do you have the tone markers?

Actually, ăn cơm chưa = have you eaten (rice, proper meal) yet? The "chưa" means "yet".

This is the only and single word I know. :(:p

KangTuo
26-10-2009, 07:53 PM
KT, do you have the tone markers?
I learn tieng viet without toner marking. You free, you go do researh

chanyboy
26-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Actually, ăn cơm chưa = have you eaten (rice, proper meal) yet? The "chưa" means "yet".

...mmm..."an" instead of "anh" for short-form, learned something... I tot "cua" instead of "chua". The variation may confuse many of us..I supposed. Pick up a fair bit reading Jack's entries...

dj = di = go
Vn people like to substitute i with j

Is the sentence structure "Anh di dao" correct? = "u go where?" while "Anh dang o dao" = "where are u?"

SING_IN_HCMC
26-10-2009, 10:03 PM
...mmm..."an" instead of "anh" for short-form, learned something... I tot "cua" instead of "chua". The variation may confuse many of us..I supposed. Pick up a fair bit reading Jack's entries...

Is the sentence structure "Anh di dao" correct? = "u go where?" while "Anh dang o dao" = "where are u?"

Ah Chanyboy,
not correct leh.

an is not anh.
an = eat
anh = pronoun (like I, you)

cua is not chua.
cua = of (eg Ban cua anh = friend of mine)
chua = yet (an chua? = eat yet?)

"Anh di dao" shd be Anh di dau (you go where?)

Above is what I think after learning TV for the last few months, I may be wrong.

SING_IN_HCMC
26-10-2009, 10:11 PM
1. Daily Greeting

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = at hotel
o cho = at market
o chùa = at temple
o trung tâm thương mại }

2.Wishing Good day/nite

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time

Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Now= bây giờ, giờ đây, hiện nay, ngày nay

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

Dear jackbl,

you bother to type for all to learn....peifu peifu

pek2sin
26-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Direct translation
1. Potay = Tie hand
Potay is actually two words = Po' tay
Po' = tie
tay = hand

2. Hieu chet lien
Hieu = Understand
chet = die
lien = immediate

haha_123
27-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Hmm... This sentence is damn familiar. All the Vn WL I come across will eventually say or sms to me this sentence. It's also the sentence which causes me to "abandon ship" and scramble away...:D

haha_123
27-10-2009, 12:10 AM

Bro, recently i send sms to my Vn gf using this sentence, except that I replaced the word "ngay"(days) with "tuan"(weeks).

She quickly replied that my Vietnamese has improved alot and that she is pleasantly surprised. Haha... I didn't tell her that I have a sifu like u...

Thanks alot, Master Jackbl.

Thom07
27-10-2009, 12:26 AM
You free, you go do researh

Yes boss! A surprise that you are still online here at this timing. :p

jackbl
27-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Surprised that he is at home this time? He shd be out having fun and going beaches :D ;)
Yes boss! A surprise that you are still online here at this timing.

jackbl
27-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Any romantic sentence u can input? We translate it together to vietnamese and send to all the VBs :D ;)
Haha... I didn't tell her that I have a sifu like u...

Thanks alot, Master Jackbl.

KangTuo
27-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Yes boss! A surprise that you are still online here at this timing. :p

Evening sit ALONE at wwbcm, waiting for time to pass so do some posting loh. When are you going to submit your research?

Surprised that he is at home this time? He shd be out having fun and going beaches :D ;)

Not everytime go beach lah. Now seldom go also.
Now i am more direct... Drive staight to hotel 81.
2am do posting now. Guess where i come back from...

Ans: lor42

hidetox
27-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Good day to all bros! I'm learning day by day with the help of the masters here. Thank you all once again! :D

I smsed her good night in Vn, and she replied the following.

"Ua anh cung vay nghe chuc anh ngu ngon khi nao ganh nge quan 15 nghe"

I could only make out she wishes me good night as well :P

I smsed her "anh nho em"

She came back with this "Anh sao moi gap ma nho"

Got me thinking, dont know what she means.

So i replied back with this "ngu som nhe"

She came back with this "Em biet roi anh cung vay nghe chuc anh ngu ngon nho ahn nhieu"

I could only make out, she wishes me good night again, and at the end, she misses me?

Masters, what say you? :D

hidetox
27-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Hmm... This sentence is damn familiar. All the Vn WL I come across will eventually say or sms to me this sentence. It's also the sentence which causes me to "abandon ship" and scramble away...:D
Abandoned liao, everytime this kind of sms-es come, i can only recognised goi tien. Either money for her to send back or money for her to top-up her card :D

Now back to my old girl! :D Kenna sabo sit new girl the other day, sheesh.

KangTuo
27-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I smsed her good night in Vn, and she replied the following.

"Ua anh cung vay nghe chuc anh ngu ngon khi nao ganh nge quan 15 nghe"

I could only make out she wishes me good night as well :P

ok you also 'nghe', wish you goodnight, when free come 15 (Her Mjesty?) 'nghe'

'nghe' i believe is just an expression after a sentence like hor, lar, leh

I smsed her "anh nho em"

She came back with this "Anh sao moi gap ma nho"

Got me thinking, dont know what she means.

1) you lie, just meet but miss

'sao' should be 'xao'

2) you why just meet but miss

'sao' is short form for 'tai sao'

So i replied back with this "ngu som nhe"

She came back with this "Em biet roi anh cung vay nghe chuc anh ngu ngon nho ahn nhieu"

I could only make out, she wishes me good night again, and at the end, she misses me?

I know already, you also 'nghe', wish you goodnight, miss you alot

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:13 AM
sorry, pls dun regard me as Master... I m here to share. I also dun know alot. If u a bit more hardworking, i think u can gain alot in the internet, and find a chance to practise, u will be amazed :D

Anh yeu may nguoi=U love how many person?
Master class is referring to bros like Jackbl.

When I was at Le Duyen salon, the girl asked me, "Anh yeu may nguoi?" I thought she asked me "How many girlfriends do you have?" But later it seemed like her meaning was "How many girlfriends have you ever had?" Any "master" here can confirm my suspicion?

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Now u shd upgrade by learning with toner marking. Its hard but once u know it, its useful for future. :D
I learn tieng viet without toner marking. You free, you go do researh

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I m here to share. I may know this, but i may not know that. Hopefully others can share with me too :D
For those lazy ppl, after i hv typed out, they still ask the same questions, then I also Bo tay :rolleyes: :cool:
Dear jackbl,

you bother to type for all to learn....peifu peifu

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Should be "bó tay"

Direct translation
1. Potay = Tie hand
Potay is actually two words = Po' tay
Po' = tie
tay = hand

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Alone why no jio me to practise singing together :(

I thou u came back from H81 :D
Evening sit ALONE at wwbcm, waiting for time to pass so do some posting loh.Now i am more direct... Drive staight to hotel 81.
2am do posting now. Guess where i come back from...

blur185
27-10-2009, 11:31 AM
thanks for all the help bros!

jackbl
27-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Today i learnt another new word NGHE.... normally i saw is NHA, NHE, NE. This is the 1st time i saw NGHE in such sentence.

So Brother KT and Hidetox, when u free? Jio me go 15 nghe :D

ok you also 'nghe', wish you goodnight, when free come 15 (Her Mjesty?) 'nghe'

'nghe' i believe is just an expression after a sentence like hor, lar, leh

I know already, you also 'nghe', wish you goodnight, miss you alot

KangTuo
27-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Alone why no jio me to practise singing together :(

I thou u came back from H81 :D

NNKC... fri, sat and sun open fire too much in H81 liao.. monday still go, muon chet ha?
need to recover for another weekend of firing mah :D

Today after work I free but thinking of going Jazzy leh. Sunday saw 1 target but never say hello to her. So I hoping to see her again

VietnamLover
27-10-2009, 12:21 PM
KangTuo, your signature states 'I need a rest from cheonging.' but you still go cheonging last weekend and maybe even today ah? Perhaps sperm may be low in quantity today. Hehe.

KangTuo
27-10-2009, 12:27 PM
KangTuo, your signature states 'I need a rest from cheonging.' but you still go cheonging last weekend and maybe even today ah? Perhaps sperm may be low in quantity today. Hehe.

oh.. my cheonging means less beer and liquor intake. drink orange juice if possible. :p

as for gals.... i cannot live without them. hahaha :D

jackbl
27-10-2009, 12:53 PM
U cheong wit me good ma. 2 persons share 1 jug, each about 1.5 glass. If u ask ur gal to drink, u drink less than 1 glass....

oh.. my cheonging means less beer and liquor intake. drink orange juice if possible. :p

as for gals.... i cannot live without them.

hidetox
27-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Seems like her usage of vocab pretty interesting, same as for me, never seen the word 'nghe' before. So in what context should 'nghe' be used?

Bro KT, dont worry we go there drink green tea :D

Masters, when are we going? :D

pek2sin
27-10-2009, 10:18 PM
" So in what context should 'nghe' be "

It seems that she is from the Mekong Delta region.
Usually, people from that region added "nghe" add the end of the sentence.
Another clue: she used the word "ganh", it should be "ra~nh" which means free or not busy.

hidetox
28-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Any idea my fellow Si-fus...

Vay anh ngu di dung thuc khuyen nghe?

:D

jackbl
28-10-2009, 01:19 AM
If u regard we people here as Si-Fus, why u didnt listen to our advice to check the dictionary first before u ask? :mad:

BTW, the word khuyen is spelled WRONGLY, it shd be KHUYA!

Words like anh, ngu di, can be found from my "latest translation updates".

Words like thuc, khuya can be found inside dictionary.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if u r a bit hardworking, many sentences can be translated easily if u know the context of the conversation....
Any idea my fellow Si-fus...

Vay anh ngu di dung thuc khuyen nghe? :D

hidetox
28-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Owe you 1 jug of beer first! :D

hidetox
28-10-2009, 01:47 AM
If u regard we people here as Si-Fus, why u didnt listen to our advice to check the dictionary first before u ask? :mad:

BTW, the word khuyen is spelled WRONGLY, it shd be KHUYA!

Words like anh, ngu di, can be found from my "latest translation updates".

Words like thuc, khuya can be found inside dictionary.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if u r a bit hardworking, many sentences can be translated easily if u know the context of the conversation....
Si-fu, i checked liao, but i still dont quite understand what she means, that's why post here for confirmation! No worries la, deserve to get scolded, learning for so long still catch no ball :o

si-fu, is this correct?

Vay anh ngu di dung thuc khuya nghe

So you go to sleep, its late already? :(

jackbl
28-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Aiyo, u still dare to say u check dictionary? If u hv done that, đừng thức khuya = Don't Stay up Late!!!

The word Dung, u may hv problem finding the right meaning, but thuc & khuya, its easy to find ma..... U may be finding the easy way out :mad:

Vay anh ngu di dung thuc khuya nghe

So you go to sleep, its late already? :(

peirong82
28-10-2009, 07:22 AM
MEANING OF E CUNG CHUC A NGU NGON HON A 1000 CAJ
anyone noes??

KangTuo
28-10-2009, 09:19 AM

U may be finding the easy way out :mad:

jackbl ge ge, why so mad?
yesterday never get any gal clear you 'fire gas' in bunker ha? :D

Hurricane88
28-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Aiyo, u still dare to say u check dictionary? If u hv done that, đừng thức khuya = Don't Stay up Late!!!

The word Dung, u may hv problem finding the right meaning, but thuc & khuya, its easy to find ma..... U may be finding the easy way out :mad:

hahaha...very strict but fair...still give final answer...good master jackbl...:)

KangTuo
28-10-2009, 10:13 AM
anyone noes??

1) i also wish you goodnight, kiss you 1000 time
2) i also wish you goodnight, give you 1000 kisses

SureScore
28-10-2009, 10:15 AM
1) i also wish you goodnight, kiss you 1000 time
2) i also wish you goodnight, give you 1000 kisses

This sounds delicious with 1000 kisses.

VietnamLover
28-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Kiss you ~ 1000 bonks? That's a lot. Haha. :cool:

lovesprout
28-10-2009, 08:55 PM
This is the first time I asked a VB whether she needs money and she said No. Looks like she doesn't want to go to hotel with me.

Em di lam thi cung co tien (I go to work so also have money)
nhung kg co nhieu nhu con gai khac (but not much like other girls)
vi e nho (because I am very petite)
xiu con trai kg thich (some guys don't like)
nen di lam kg co tien nhieu (so go to work doesn't have much money)

Since she said that way, I suppose she doesn't go to hotel with customers. Correct me if I am wrong. Her name is A Ngoc from Blue Lagoon area.

peirong82
28-10-2009, 09:19 PM
How abt tis:

A DANG DJ LLAM HAY O NHA HOM QUA A NGU CO NGON KO

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 12:10 AM
This is the first time I asked a VB whether she needs money and she said No. Looks like she doesn't want to go to hotel with me.

Em di lam thi cung co tien (I go to work so also have money)
nhung kg co nhieu nhu con gai khac (but not much like other girls)
vi e nho (because I am very petite)
xiu con trai kg thich (some guys don't like)
nen di lam kg co tien nhieu (so go to work doesn't have much money)

Since she said that way, I suppose she doesn't go to hotel with customers. Correct me if I am wrong. Her name is A Ngoc from Blue Lagoon area.

1) never ask a vn gal she needs money or not
the ultimate answer is YES

2) let me continue her next few reply
tai vi e it di lam tinh voi khach (because I seldom go fcuk with customer)

bay gio e thich a roi, e kg muon di ks voi ng khac roi (Now I like you already, I don't want to hotel with others already)

e yeu a roi, e lam kg dc (I love you already, I cannot work)

neu 1ngay e can tien, e se di lam tinh voi ng khac, a co ghen/buon e kg
(if 1day I need money, I will go fcuk with others, you will jealous/sad about me or not)
{she will pause and look at your reaction..... }

e moi noi thoi nhung e se kg lam tinh voi ng khac (I just say say only but I will not go fcuk with others)

neu 1ngay e can tien, a giup e dc kg (if 1day I need money, will you help me)

bay gio e phai tra tien ng ta, tai vi e muon tien ng ta wa sing di lam
(Now I must return money to other people, becoz I borrow money to come sillypore work)

Mai mot e cung phai tra tien nha cho ong chu nha (othertime I also need to pay money for the house to the boss of the house)

{she will then wait for you to ask again.... "how much"}
Money topic starts coming in every other day :D

jackbl
29-10-2009, 04:10 AM
There are many NGOC in BL..... I know 1 called Ngo Thanh Ngoc My ;) When i ask a gal's name, i will ask for the full name as there are many gals with the same name :)
Correct me if I am wrong. Her name is A Ngoc from Blue Lagoon area.

jackbl
29-10-2009, 04:19 AM
These exist in my "translation updates" you still can ask again here? :mad:
anh dang lam gi do?
an com chua

jackbl
29-10-2009, 04:27 AM
1. Daily Greeting

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = at hotel
o cho = at market
o chùa = at temple
o trung tâm thương mại }

2.Wishing Good day/nite

Hon a 1000 cai!
Kiss u 1000x

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time

Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Bây giờ, giờ đây, hiện nay, ngày nay=Now
Hom qua = yesterday
Ngay mai=tomorrow

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

peirong82
29-10-2009, 05:09 AM
translate tis plsss>>>

GJO A NGU CHUA HAY LA DANG LAM GJ

VReaper
29-10-2009, 08:38 AM
1. Daily Greeting

brudder ah, tink u ar the most hardworkin contributor in dis thread liao :p

keep it up neh....:D

Hurricane88
29-10-2009, 09:35 AM
---

These are their specialty KC game...money is the key WORD and why they are here in the first place...only a naive person will fall for that...:)

zhu star
29-10-2009, 09:49 AM
never ask a vn gal she needs money or not
the ultimate answer is YES :D

I totally agree with you. I paid a very high price to learn this lesson:mad:

blur185
29-10-2009, 10:06 AM
can any brother help to translate?

Gian em cai gi ma kg bac may vay

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 10:17 AM
can any brother help to translate?

Gian em cai gi ma kg bac may vay

Angry me what, never switch on handphone

blur185
29-10-2009, 10:22 AM
wonder why she bothered whether im angry for what???
Em con trai nhieu. Em lai singapore yeu tien kg phai yeu con trai. Anh tien nhieu em yeu anh. Anh kg co tien em kg co yeu anh.
i said it right... right?

SureScore
29-10-2009, 10:34 AM
wonder why she bothered whether im angry for what???
Em con trai nhieu. Em lai singapore yeu tien kg phai yeu con trai. Anh tien nhieu em yeu anh. Anh kg co tien em kg co yeu anh.
i said it right... right?

You seemed blur. The KC game is their forte. If you play the field then remember don't fall into trap. This thread is to learn Tieng Viet and not just to do translation.

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

I learned that "may gio" should be at end of sentence (grammar)

1) Hnay e di lam may gio?
2) E lam xong may gio

anyway meaning is there

blur185
29-10-2009, 10:45 AM
i mean why as in, i already told her she has a guy taking care of her and i know the guy is who. So then after that i she repiled this msg and kept calling me till tis morning. Anyway i know that this is a KC and im not wasting my time. Just wondering why she will think im angry cause i aint

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 11:12 AM
i mean why as in, i already told her she has a guy taking care of her and i know the guy is who. So then after that i she repiled this msg and kept calling me till tis morning. Anyway i know that this is a KC and im not wasting my time. Just wondering why she will think im angry cause i aint

if got guy take care her then it is good for you.
just play along with the KC. Run when $$$ topic starts.

blur185
29-10-2009, 11:27 AM
if got guy take care her then it is good for you.
just play along with the KC. Run when $$$ topic starts.

whahah... u got a point there... well see if she will msg me later lor... if no then let it be... if yes then game on?

leecs
29-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Play it on. She got a 菜头 to hack & its not you. You've got the upper hand...

haha_123
29-10-2009, 12:03 PM
There are many NGOC in BL..... I know 1 called Ngo Thanh Ngoc My ;) When i ask a gal's name, i will ask for the full name as there are many gals with the same name :)

Yes. SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT !!!

Few weeks ago I bought a t-shirt for USD 3 at Le Loi night market that says 'SAME SAME' in front and "BUT DIFFERENT" at the back. See already I want to laugh. However please be careful not to wash such cheap t-shirts with your other clothings in the same washing machine, as the colour on the t-shirt will run and ruin your other clothes.

Thom07
29-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Evening sit ALONE at wwbcm, waiting for time to pass so do some posting loh. When are you going to submit your research?

Here you go.

Bó tay is the colloquial expression meaning 'give up, nothing can be done about it'.

Hiểu chết liền / biết chết liền is something that is difficult/ impossible to comprehend.

Reaper
29-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes. SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT !!!

Few weeks ago I bought a t-shirt for USD 3 at Le Loi night market that says 'SAME SAME' in front and "BUT DIFFERENT" at the back. See already I want to laugh. However please be careful not to wash such cheap t-shirts with your other clothings in the same washing machine, as the colour on the t-shirt will run and ruin your other clothes.

Le Loi got night market??!!??!! :confused:

haha_123
29-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Yes. Night market along Le Loi St, beside Ben Thanh Market.

After 7pm, the food stalls suddenly sprung up, and there are stores selling t-shirts, handbags, handicrafts, etc. Whenever I walk around this area, I hear shoppers speaking in Chinese, Cantonese, Hokkien, and even Malay. Makes me feel close to home.;)

lovesprout
29-10-2009, 01:41 PM

bay gio e thich a roi, e kg muon di ks voi ng khac roi (Now I like you already, I don't want to hotel with others already)

You know their tricks and KC games so well. I definitely have heard most of them before.

Of course I won't be so stupid to ask a girl whether she needs money or not for no reason. This is my subtle way of asking a girl whether she wants to go to hotel or not. Sometimes I also ask.

"Em co can anh giup do em kg?" (Do you need me help you?)

lovesprout
29-10-2009, 01:44 PM

2) E lam xong may gio

anyway meaning is there

From the book I read, "may gio" can be put in front or at the end of the setence, but they have different meanings. For example,

Em di lam may gio : When "did" you go to work?
May gio em di lam : When "will" you go to work?

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 02:25 PM
This is my subtle way of asking a girl whether she wants to go to hotel or not. Sometimes I also ask.

"Em co can anh giup do em kg?" (Do you need me help you?)

Ok.. now i know why you ask.
not my habit to ask... and never did i ask before.
If i did ask a gal, i will never bring her to hotel

I will just drive them to the hotel. Say tired, wanna rest together. :D

VietnamLover
29-10-2009, 02:26 PM
When i ask a gal's name, i will ask for the full name as there are many gals with the same name :)

Totally agreed with you. I also ask the woman for her full name. In Vietnam, there are so many similar names such as Ngoc, Thuy, Anh, Tuyet, Tri, Hanh, etc.

lovesprout
29-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok.. now i know why you ask.
not my habit to ask... and never did i ask before.
If i did ask a gal, i will never bring her to hotel

I will just drive them to the hotel. Say tired, wanna rest together. :D

What is the meaning of your signatures? Are they the girls driven to the hotel by you? :) I checked these names, but it seems like we have not become "brothers" yet.

retire
29-10-2009, 03:06 PM

e yeu a roi, e lam kg dc (I love you already, I cannot work)

neu 1ngay e can tien, e se di lam tinh voi ng khac, a co ghen/buon e kg
(if 1day I need money, I will go fcuk with others, you will jealous/sad about me or not)
{she will pause and look at your reaction..... }

e moi noi thoi nhung e se kg lam tinh voi ng khac (I just say say only but I will not go fcuk with others)

neu 1ngay e can tien, a giup e dc kg (if 1day I need money, will you help me)

bay gio e phai tra tien ng ta, tai vi e muon tien ng ta wa sing di lam
(Now I must return money to other people, becoz I borrow money to come sillypore work)

Mai mot e cung phai tra tien nha cho ong chu nha (othertime I also need to pay money for the house to the boss of the house)

{she will then wait for you to ask again.... "how much"}

great post :D

blur185
29-10-2009, 03:33 PM
ThuyJ51 2919 - jazzy 51
TuyetM51 0746 - mask 51
LyM51 8858 - mask 51
PhuongM51 6628 - mask 51
NguyetE*** 0434 - Echo
YingE**** 6539 - Echo
HongBL 4946 - Blue lagoon
OanhBL 3630 - Blue Lagoon
Ying678 (protected) - Club 678
NgaArmani (forget) - Armani
ThaoM51 1900 - Mask 51
TramHM 1845 - ???
YingM51 7584 - Mask 51

i think im right but do correct me if im wrong

Reaper
29-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes. Night market along Le Loi St, beside Ben Thanh Market.

After 7pm, the food stalls suddenly sprung up, and there are stores selling t-shirts, handbags, handicrafts, etc. Whenever I walk around this area, I hear shoppers speaking in Chinese, Cantonese, Hokkien, and even Malay. Makes me feel close to home.;)

Oh, you mean the BEN THANH NIGHT MARKET which surrounds the Ben Thanh Market on Phan Boi Chau (Extending into Luu Van Lang) and Phan Cuu Trinh (Extending into Nguyen An Ninh)

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 03:54 PM
TramHM 1845 - ???

i think im right but do correct me if im wrong

right
HM = Her Majesty @ GL lor 15

blur185
29-10-2009, 04:28 PM
o... HM.. go there for 1 thing only... dark enough rooms upstairs! good for 2 things only!!!

KangTuo
29-10-2009, 04:30 PM
o... HM.. go there for 1 thing only... dark enough rooms upstairs! good for 2 things only!!!

beware of Heshe...

blur185
29-10-2009, 04:40 PM
wah Heshe.... good things i go 2 times nia there...

Thom07
29-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Here you go.

Bó tay is the colloquial expression meaning 'give up, nothing can be done about it'.

Hiểu chết liền / biết chết liền is something that is difficult/ impossible to comprehend.

Single word:

1) concede

2) inconceivable

Should be what you wanted. :confused:

haha_123
29-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh, you mean the BEN THANH NIGHT MARKET which surrounds the Ben Thanh Market on Phan Boi Chau (Extending into Luu Van Lang) and Phan Cuu Trinh (Extending into Nguyen An Ninh)

Yes, that's right. Thanks for the clarification.

peirong82
29-10-2009, 07:59 PM
e ngu day roi a dang lam lam gj

meaning??

peirong82
29-10-2009, 08:01 PM
gjo a ngu chua hay la dang lam gj???

translate pls???

hidetox
29-10-2009, 09:48 PM
e ngu day roi a dang lam lam gj

meaning??
Should be i just woke up, what are you doing, if im not wrong.

deptrai4u
29-10-2009, 10:37 PM

translate pls???

now you sleep already or what [the fuck] are you doing???

deptrai4u
29-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Should be i just woke up, what are you doing, if im not wrong.

to be exact...

I wake up already, what [the fuck] are you doing...

For "I just woke up, what are you doing..." it will be

Em moi ngu day, anh dang lam gi?

jackbl
30-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Dung: Mấy giờ rồi, anh?
Phong: Ba giờ rồi.

1 website written the above. Maybe as u say the meaning is there..... Any native speaker here can teach us more? :rolleyes:

2) E lam xong may gio

anyway meaning is there

jackbl
30-10-2009, 12:46 AM
1. Daily Greeting

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

I just woke up, what are you doing?

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = in hotel
o cho = in market
o chùa = in temple
o trung tâm buôn bán } in shopping centre
o trung tâm thương mại }

2.Wishing Good day/nite

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time

Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
bây giờ, giờ đây, hiện nay, ngày nay=Now
Ngay mai = tomorrow
Hom qua = yesterday

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

KangTuo
30-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Single word:

1) concede = bo tay

2) inconceivable = hieu chet lien

Should be what you wanted. :confused:

good work... but give you grade B only
chinese translation?

Hurricane88
30-10-2009, 09:59 AM

translate pls???

to be exact...

This VB tieng viet is horrible???.........:)

RJ2004
30-10-2009, 10:19 AM
good work... but give you grade B only
chinese translation?

hokkien can?

Bó tay - sua la

Hiểu chết liền / biết chết liền - mai ki sion

SureScore
30-10-2009, 10:38 AM
This VB tieng viet is horrible???.........:)

to be exact...

I saw the post last night. Didn't bother to translate. Don't know what she wrote.

blur185
30-10-2009, 12:04 PM
lau kg gap em roi
can bro help with translate?

SureScore
30-10-2009, 12:23 PM
lau kg gap em roi

Long time never see you already

Reaper
30-10-2009, 12:29 PM
lau kg gap em roi

Long time never see you already

If it was sent by a girl, which most probably is, than it should be:

"Long time you no see me"

blur185
30-10-2009, 01:34 PM
an roi. Em an com chua? Anh di o cho lam. Em dang lam gi?
eat already. have u eaten? im at workplace. what r u doin?

am i right bros?

Reaper
30-10-2009, 01:38 PM

am i right bros?

Change "di" to "Dang"

Di = Go
PS: my vietnamese is still at noob level....

VietnamLover
30-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Ate already. Did you eat meal yet? I go to workplace. What are you doing?

blur185
30-10-2009, 01:59 PM
thanks alot! i feel this page is helping me improve liao with so many sifus ard!!!
Em moi tam song(dun understand), em chua an com(i havent eaten).
can help bros?

casannova03
30-10-2009, 02:11 PM
thanks alot! i feel this page is helping me improve liao with so many sifus ard!!!
Em moi tam song(dun understand), em chua an com(i havent eaten).
can help bros?

Em moi tam xong...

I just finished bathing...;)

blur185
30-10-2009, 02:18 PM
so hw am i to reply y u havent eaten?
tai sao em chua an com?
am i right?

blur185
30-10-2009, 02:33 PM
4 gio em di lam vio che em
4pm i go work
correct?

blur185
30-10-2009, 03:02 PM
any bros can advice?
buon that kg ha anh
sad ..... me???

hidetox
30-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Thoi anh lo cho me di em kg sao dau

Does this mean "you take care of mother, nevermind me?"

KangTuo
30-10-2009, 04:08 PM
any bros can advice?
buon that kg ha anh
sad ..... me???

she should be asking you whether you are really sad/boring

Thoi anh lo cho me di em kg sao dau

Does this mean "you take care of mother, nevermind me?"

yes

KangTuo
30-10-2009, 04:55 PM
any bros can advice?

bro blur185,
I can see that you know some basic tieng viet already...
but you still ask for some translation that are also basic.
why not you try search v.dict :)

good luck on kc-ing the gal you have...
she can be your long hair dictionary also

blur185
30-10-2009, 05:23 PM
ok bro point noted..
any good links to the v.dict site?
or any downloadable ones to hp??

hidetox
30-10-2009, 05:39 PM
ok bro point noted..
vdict.com

mobile - m.vdict.com

If you're using an iphone, there's a very useful english-vietnamese dictionary, the app is called EEVI Dict.

blur185
31-10-2009, 10:40 AM
bro kang tuo,

need help!!! i tried to use translator but cant translate\

Em noi la em ve toi nha roi, nhu vay cung kg biet nua ha

em di ve anh dung co nha ngu nua nghe

em ve toi nha roi nhe

help me pls

jackbl
31-10-2009, 06:38 PM
If u r able to spot the mistake then urs is not at noob level. Some vietnamese will spell the word wrongly.

Change "di" to "Dang"

Di = Go
PS: my vietnamese is still at noob level....

jackbl
31-10-2009, 06:40 PM
4pm i go work with CHI (elder sister) of mine
4 gio em di lam vio che em

jackbl
31-10-2009, 06:42 PM
bro blur185,
why not you try search v.dict :)

ok bro point noted..

You really need to search the online dictionary, VDict.com - Vietnamese Dictionary and Translation - T? ?i?n và d?ch ti?ng Vi?t (http://www.vdict.com)

jackbl
01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
1. Daily Greeting

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = in hotel
o cho = in market
o chùa = in temple
o trung tâm thương mại }

Lau lam khong gap
Long time no see

Cuoc song ra sao?
How’s life?

Moi viec the nao?
How is everything?

Cong viec the nao?
How is work going?

2.Wishing Good day/nite

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time

Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Ngay mai = tomorrow
Hom qua = yesterday

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

jackbl
01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
1. Daily Greeting
==================

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = in hotel
o cho = in market
o chùa = in temple
o trung tâm thương mại }

Lau lam khong gap
Long time no see

Cuoc song ra sao?
How’s life?

Moi viec the nao?
How is everything?

Cong viec the nao?
How is work going?

2.Wishing Good day/nite
=========================

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time
=================
Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Ngay mai = tomorrow
Hom qua = yesterday

đầu tuần = begining of the week
giữa tuần = middle of the week
cuối tuần = end of the week
*Sames applies for month (tháng) or year (năm).

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

4. Special Occasion greeting
============================

1) Chuc Mung Nam Moi = Cung chúc tân xuân = Happy New Year

2) Cung hỉ phát tài = "Congratulations and be Prosperous" 恭喜发财

3) Van su nhu y = 萬事如意

4) mã đáo thành công = 马到成功

5) Tiền vô như nước = Money flow in like water

Hurricane88
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
bro kang tuo,

em ve toi nha roi nhe

help me pls

Over reliant of others to translate will make you unpopular here...try to at least check out dictionary or with your vn girl...nothing ashame to ask your girl to teacch you...:)

peirong82
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
gjo nay a con lam ha khi nao moi nghi

Can anyone translate?Try in vietnam translator le but no resy=ults...

SureScore
01-11-2009, 10:39 PM

What time you finish work what time you rest

jackbl
02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I agreed wit your statement. At least u try to write something out and if there is any mistake, others will point out. Rather than leaving BLANK for ppl to fill in for u :mad:

Over reliant of others to translate will make you unpopular here...try to at least check out dictionary or with your vn girl...nothing ashame to ask your girl to teacch you...:)

jackbl
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
1. Daily Greeting
==================

Xin chao/Chao=Hello

hom nay em the nao?
how are you today?

anh khoe
I am well.

Anh binh thuong
I m as usual, normal

con em?
And you?

Answers:
o nha = at home
o khach san = in hotel
o cho = in market
o chùa = in temple
o trung tâm thương mại }

Lau lam khong gap
Long time no see

Cuoc song ra sao?
How’s life?

Moi viec the nao?
How is everything?

Cong viec the nao?
How is work going?

2.Wishing Good day/nite
=========================

Ngu som nhe!
Sleep early!

3.Time
=================
Toi/Dem nay= Tonight
Hom/Bữa nay= Today
Ngay mai = tomorrow
Hom qua = yesterday

gio nay=this time (now)
gio do=that time

đầu tuần = begining of the week
giữa tuần = middle of the week
cuối tuần = end of the week
*Sames applies for month (tháng) or year (năm).

Bay gio la may gio?
What time is it now?

Hnay e may gio di lam?

May gio xong viec?
What time finish work?

khi nao/chung nao=When

============================

1) Chuc Mung Nam Moi = Cung chúc tân xuân = Happy New Year

2) Cung hỉ phát tài = "Congratulations and be Prosperous" 恭喜发财

3) Van su nhu y = 萬事如意

4) mã đáo thành công = 马到成功

5) Tiền vô như nước = Money flow in like water

KangTuo
02-11-2009, 01:04 AM
bro blur185,
why not you try search v.dict

bro kang tuo,

em ve toi nha roi nhe

help me pls

these are basic... so help yourself to the v.dict :)
just like what your gal say about you... basic yet dunno.

nhu vay cung kg biet nua = like this also dunno

anyway the few sentence is about home and sleep...
go figure out.

KangTuo
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM

What time you finish work what time you rest

gjo nay a con lam ha = now you still working ha?
gjo = gio

surescore translated the 2nd part

jackbl
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
1. Daily Greeting
2.Wishing Good day/nite
3.Time

these are basic... so help yourself to the v.dict
just like what your gal say about you... basic yet dunno.
go figure out.

Bro, is my posting above too lousy? I guess there consist of most sentence asked by ppl here, if they match and mix, they can find the answer. Yet ppl dun wan to use it. I guess it is redundant to update since ppl just simply ask for convenient and not reading it.... :confused: :eek:

blur185
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
em di ve anh dung co len nha ngu nua nghe

em ve toi nha roi nhe

em noi la em ve toi nha roi, nhu vay cung kg biet nua ha

Don't sleep anymore after I left.
I am home.
Don't you understand, I told you I've come home!

am i right pls advise.

yes point noted from all sifus... i will learn hard... thanks for all the help and advise given. Sincerely appreciated!

haha_123
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Bro, is my posting above too lousy? I guess there consist of most sentence asked by ppl here, if they match and mix, they can find the answer. Yet ppl dun wan to use it. I guess it is redundant to update since ppl just simply ask for convenient and not reading it.... :confused: :eek:

NO!!! You please don't stop updating. Because if you do, the only romantic phrases that I know will be limited to anh yeu em, anh nho em, anh hon em, anh om em, anh thich boom boom nhieu nhieu, dam tac, lam tinh etc.

There are also many romantic phrases contributed by Bro MaybeNot and Bro alexkidd in page 7 of this thread, http://www.sammyboyforum.com/adult-discussions-about-sex/74792-tieng-viet-lovers-club-7.html.

Often I will alternate among these romantic phrases and send sms to my bx.
She didn't know that I have many sifus like you in this forum. Hihi...:p

KangTuo
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
NO!!! You please don't stop updating. Because if you do, the only romantic phrases that I know will be limited

:confused::confused::confused:
When did jackbl posted romantic phrases??
I also want learn a trick or two leh :)

haha_123
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Bro blur185, don't feel disheartened and don't give up.
I can understand that if you don't understand the 6 different tones and consommants of the Vn language, it can be quite a challenge to use the v.dict.

Normally I use my Viet-Eng dictionary which I bought from MPH or Times Bookstore, and then piece together the words and roughly I will understand the sentence. You can also buy the Eng-Viet phrase book from the bookstores, for less than $20 I think.

You can also attend the basic Vn language courses run by Cambridge Institute at Peninsular Plaza or Spring School International at Bishan. I think the course fee is about $400 for 10 lessons, and teaches you on the basics such as greeting, asking for directions, asking for a person's name, job, etc.

Of course you can always rely on Bro jackbl's updates for the commonly used words that you can use to send sms to your loved ones. The first few pages of this thread is particularly useful for the basic words and pronounciations.

Lastly, as Bro jackbl pointed out, you can also get help from the long-haired walking dictionaries in the JC ktvs/pubs. Who knows, they may even become your language teacher and tour-guide in HCMC.

Most importantly, don't give up.

Before I know this thread, the most common sentence I smsed to my Vn girls is "Toi kg hieu"!!:confused:

blur185
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Bro blur185, don't feel disheartened and don't give up.
I can understand that if you don't understand the 6 different tones and consommants of the Vn language, it can be quite a challenge to use the v.dict.

Normally I use my Viet-Eng dictionary which I bought from MPH or Times Bookstore, and then piece together the words and roughly I will understand the sentence. You can also buy the Eng-Viet phrase book from the bookstores, for less than $20 I think.

You can also attend the basic Vn language courses run by Cambridge Institute at Peninsular Plaza or Spring School International at Bishan. I think the course fee is about $400 for 10 lessons, and teaches you on the basics such as greeting, asking for directions, asking for a person's name, job, etc.

Of course you can always rely on Bro jackbl's updates for the commonly used words that you can use to send sms to your loved ones. The first few pages of this thread is particularly useful for the basic words and pronounciations.

Lastly, as Bro jackbl pointed out, you can also get help from the long-haired walking dictionaries in the JC ktvs/pubs. Who knows, they may even become your language teacher and tour-guide in HCMC.

Most importantly, don't give up.

Before I know this thread, the most common sentence I smsed to my Vn girls is "Toi kg hieu"!!:confused:

Not giving is something for sure. Well i wasnt angry or pissed at anything. What bro kangtao and jack said is true. The best way to learn is from them. Furthermore the best way to do it is to make urself a laughing stock... then they will understand where u stand and will guide u even more. Well so when i saw his msg, i went to look for a long hair to teach me... hahaha... well it paid off and now i got it but just not sure whether im right. but to the Shifus here Cam on nhieu lam!

well about the course, i think i will be taking up lessons with the long hair... 1 on 1 lessons more time and more cost effective.

haha_123
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
When did jackbl posted romantic phrases??
I also want learn a trick or two leh :)

Oh, my favourite phrases are "A nho e nhieu lam! May tuan nay kg gap em, a rat buon" and "em se gap anh trong giac mo nhe".

Tonight I'm going to use the Vn phrase for "Kiss u 1000 times!!!":D

KangTuo
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh, my favourite phrases are "A nho e nhieu lam! May tuan nay kg gap em, a rat buon" and "em se gap anh trong giac mo nhe".

Tonight I'm going to use the Vn phrase for "Kiss u 1000 times!!!":D

so these areromantic phrases...:cool:

"cho e 1000 nu hon" .. hhmm

SureScore
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
gjo nay a con lam ha = now you still working ha?
gjo = gio

surescore translated the 2nd part

Thank you for correction.

so these areromantic phrases...:cool:

"cho e 1000 nu hon" .. hhmm

I should learn this too.

RJ2004
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
i must be the most unromantic guy, after so many years i have never used anh nho em, anh yeu em or call anyone bx, em yeu, or anything in that manner :D

jackbl
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
em di ve anh dung co len nha ngu nua nghe
I go back U dun go up home sleep again

em ve toi nha roi nhe
I m back at home already

IMO, your translation for this sentence is not very right "em noi la em ve toi nha roi, nhu vay cung kg biet nua ha"..... Try to find from vdict again. Translate 1 word by 1 word to make up the whole sentence ;)

Don't sleep anymore after I left.
I am home.
Don't you understand, I told you I've come home!