PDA

View Full Version : Tieng Viet lovers club

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

ilovedoggie
02-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Hi,

digged out some very very old sms but i was using googldtranslator back then but i would like to know the accurate meaning:

Anh ve singapore song tiep cuoc song nhu truoc kia dung quan tam den nhung chuyen da xay ra truoc do

toi se doi ban. cam nhan va hieu tinh cam = i will wait you. feel and understand sentiment <= correct?

ban muon minh ket hon khong. toi rat muon co cuoc song binh yen va khong phai suy nghi tat ca cua cuoc song. = you want us get married? i really want to have a normal life and not to think about all that life.

voi ban toi se khong doi hoi gi. chi can ban bay gio co the tra het cac khoan no cua toi. thoi khong noi nua toi dau hay toi do <-understand half pass 6 only but KC TRAP spotted!

khong biet do co phai la tinh cam khong nhung luc dau toi khong nghi den dieu do, tinh cam phai trai qua thu thach nhung ngay vua qua ban luon ben canh dong vien an ui luc do toi hieu 1nguoi quan tam toi la tat ca

bay gio toi khong the nghi nhieu. neu 1 ai do cho toi tien tra no du ho co muon toi lam gi toi cung se lam

that long toi khong biet phai cam on ban nhu the nao cho het. thanh that cam on.

cong viec cua toi la: san xuat va che bien ca ba sa

thanks for the help. sincerely thanks all the bros for providing me the learning opportunities.

VietnamLover
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Chúc mừng Việt Nam nhân ngày Quốc khánh!

AdGuy
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Happy national day to all viet friends in sgp and also to all sgp friends in vn!

volcano
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
i go HCM to buy 2 towers for him.

bro hurricane... pls forgive xiao di.. young cow dunno tiger... bcuz of raging hormone... plsssss

hey dude,there are no towers in HCMC....

deptrai4u
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
hey dude,there are no towers in HCMC....

maybe he buying u 2 Bitexco Towers lei!!!

lovesprout
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Had some arguement with a vb and i recieved some sms... asked a northern teacher (carrot007) and a southern teacher (jackbl), both can't help as there are no vb to choose in jc and they shut down their TV server :(:p

what are the words in red?

doi xu = treat, ngo = believe, te = bad
nghe loi = listen to your words (聽話), chang = no/negative
ton lai = exist, duoi am phu = down there in the hell (下陰府)
nghia = meaning, don gian = easy, tat tho = last breath (斷氣)
bat cu = any, gia tri = explain
Hien = now, han = hate
to ra = show, co nao = which girl
trang diem = decoration

Honey Boon
02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
that one besides my favorite breakfast store, Ham Ngi Road? :D

ilovedoggie
02-09-2011, 06:06 PM

I wish so... I would if I could. And if I could I would have buy u all one truck of VBs each. Can bonk until sit wheel chair also can hehe... Bro deptrai pls help me talk to him... Anh oi lam on giup toi ma... One tower for u too? :)

volcano
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Wow...then is there any helicopter service to send me up there....:p:D:)

volcano
02-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I wish so... I would if I could. And if I could I would have buy u all one truck of VBs each.

hey dude,tks for ur kind offer...but dun think we need it bcos we have enough in the country of manufacture.....:D

as for ur so called "dispute" with Hurricane88,i think its better if u send him a PM and sort things out.

dun worry lah....i used to have "dispute" with him which is 100 times more serious if compared to yours....:eek:

but now....we are kakis of the same interest liaoz....:)

ilovedoggie
03-09-2011, 03:19 AM
hey dude,tks for ur kind offer...but dun think we need it bcos we have enough in the country of manufacture.....

anh nghia anh bay gio dang o wet nam? I'm planning to drop by some time soon impromptu when i settle my work stuff. need some relaxing and kc session with some VBs.

as for ur so called "dispute" with Hurricane88,i think its better if u send him a PM and sort things out.

dun worry lah....i used to have "dispute" with him which is 100 times more serious if compared to yours....

but now....we are kakis of the same interest liaoz....:)

I sent alrdy but he bo hiew me... so sad :(... i think i should keep bugging and dogging(not doggie with) him? :D

volcano
03-09-2011, 03:26 AM
anh nghia anh bay gio dang o wet nam?

u cant address both person as "anh" in the sentence..

if theres a age gap between the 2 then we use "anh"..."em"

if both are around the same age and r friends then we use "toi"...."ban"

if are very close friends,we can also just address them by the name.

never mix up or say wrongly when addressing the elderly Vietnamese people
(especially those in rural province)....they will feel that u r rude and not showing them respect.

ilovedoggie
03-09-2011, 03:41 AM
u cant address both person as "anh" in the sentence..

if theres a age gap between the 2 then we use "anh"..."em"

if are very close friends,we can also just address them by the name.

never mix up or say wrongly when addressing the elderly Vietnamese people
(especially those in rural province)....they will feel that u r rude and not showing them respect.

thanks for enlightening me. my "anh nghia anh bay gio dang o wet nam" means "you(elder brother) mean you now at wet nam" is it right?

thanks.

AdGuy
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
thanks for enlightening me. my "anh nghia anh bay gio dang o wet nam" means "you(elder brother) mean you now at wet nam" is it right?

thanks.

It's correct!

AdGuy
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I have never actually seen this used in a conversation unless it's an online conversation.

Even if 2 people are about the same age, the more polite way is to address him / her as anh / chi first.

jackbl
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
e hoc them 1bai hoc la dung bao gio tin loi noi tu mieng cua bat cu 1ai. neu yeu ng ta se yeu bang hanh dong chu ko phai yeu bang loi noi. neu nhu a ko doi e di lam ve, a ko cho e di choi, di chup hinh thi co le loi noi cua a ko co gia tri dau

gia tri = explain

IMO, gia tri = giá trị = Value worth

jackbl
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Life of an expat
===============================

Dear readers, last week, we mentioned that an expat should learn about the new place that he or she will settle in for a certain time in order to make their life there more comfortable.

Brett Davis, chief editor at Asia Life, English-language publication reflecting a contemporary Vietnam, wrote that:

“It takes time to unlearn old behaviors and learn new, more effective ones. Early in that arc of experience, those difficulties in adjusting can manifest themselves in feelings of frustration or anger at your surrounds. Most expatriates would be able to relate to this feeling at some stage in their time here. We have all had ‘bad Vietnam’ days.”

Frustrated because your colleagues do not understand you? Angry as it takes months to get your documents done? Irritated because you can’t find the foods you love back home? Tell you, it’s normal and most of people living overseas have experienced the same thing. It’s not only Vietnam but in any country, you will find something to compare and complain since “things here are not the same like they are back home”.

In 1955, Lysgaard developed a theory called the U-shaped cure of culture shock. A person who resides temporary in a place, known as a sojourner, often goes through three phrases: honeymoon phrase (remember how excited you were before coming to Vietnam?), crisis phrase (when things do not turn out as you had expected and you become homesick) and finally recovery phrase (when you regard ‘bad Vietnam days’ a part of your life here).

To overcome your crisis phrase, get out of your bubble and merge with locals, join their activities, learn their language. You’ll see more of the bright side of the country.

Liz Covington, one of many expats in Vietnam has shared her story of learning Vietnamese language, which makes it easier for her to mix up with locals:

“Nevertheless, if you want to practice Vietnamese with locals, they are happy to help you. I myself still find it amazing when I think about an intimate conversation I had with a bulb seller though 20 minutes earlier we had been strangers. On discovering that I could speak Vietnamese, she confessed many things to me as if we were old friends. Another time, when I was shopping for coats, I got a discount because I bargained in Vietnamese.”

This is a real example showing that when you show your will and open up your heart, people, despite different backgrounds and cultures, will do the same in return. Liz has chosen to volunteer in an English club and help young locals practice their second language as a way to contribute something to the country she loves.

Also a Vietnamese learner, Eric Burdette talked about the confusion of the ways of addressing people in Vietnam:

“Vietnamese grammar, at least in the simple form that I use, is pretty straightforward to a native English-speaker. And after a bit of struggling and concentration, I got the tones down pretty well. But xưng hô still manages to baffle me.”

He recalled calling a friend chu (uncle) instead of anh (elder brother) and get him angry. He was also confused about addressing his in-laws and even his wife. However, Eric has found a way to get by:

“If things start getting confusing and you don’t know how to address someone else or refer to yourself, just start using given names. It seems to work and be grammatically correct, and I’m sure there is a special term to address it by.”

As we have said, it’s hard to be an expat, especially in Vietnam. Sharing your stories, either funny moments or sad times with others will help you move on quicker. And this column, City Diary, is a channel for you to do that. When you experience a bad Vietnam day or a very great Vietnam day and feel like sharing, you know there’s an email address dedicated to you: [email protected].

Have a nice weekend!

jackbl
04-09-2011, 12:13 PM
When will Vietnamese tourists be “civilized”?
================================================== ====
VietNamNet Bridge – The owner of Ba Duc ancient house, a famous relic in Dong Hoa Hiep village in Tien Giang province, tells a local newspaper that he only welcomes foreign visitors and groups of Vietnamese visitors organized by prestigious travel agents. Why?

According to Saigon Tiep Thi newspaper, the ancient house used to welcome both Vietnamese and foreign visitors. However, the house’s owner, Mr. Phan Van Duc, realized the sad fact that whenever Vietnamese tourists left his house, his orchard became bare and full of rubbish.

Mr. Duc said that Vietnamese tourists often asked for cuisines processed from turtles and snakes (not interested in environmental protection). They often made noise after drinking and discharged waste everywhere. Duc said he was afraid that foreign visitors will go away if they see it.

The owner of Ut Kiet ancient house, which is ranked as the most beautiful ancient house in Vietnam by Japanese archaeologists, treats local tourists the same way.

Tour guides said that while foreign tourists pay attention to each detail in ancient houses, Vietnamese tourists are only interested in taking picture, not tour guides’ introduction of the houses.

Nguyen Van My, director of the Lua Viet Tourism Company, Vietnamese tourists are not interested in learning about the places they visit, but in drinking and massage.

“It is very easy for tour guides, but tourists do not know that they suffer losses by that way of travel,” My said.

“The resolute attitude of the owners of ancient houses may make Vietnamese travelers change their thinking. Owners of ancient houses have been aware of preservation, tourists need to show their understanding,” said Huynh Thanh Huu, from the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Tien Giang province.

Poor awareness of Vietnamese tourists has become a hot topic on many online forums. Some analyze that the “farmer-style” has been deeply absorbed into Vietnamese, which results in their behavior, specifically: discharging rubbish at public sites, neglecting traffic lights, etc. To change this, Vietnamese must self-realize the matter and improve themselves. However, it will take a long time.

Van Phong

volcano
04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I have never actually seen this used in a conversation unless it's an online conversation.

Even if 2 people are about the same age, the more polite way is to address him / her as anh / chi first.

"toi"...."ban"...is used when both parties are very close and have known each other for a very long time.for e.g a group of neighbours who have been childhood friends since young,even though they might have a age gap of 5-10 years,but they will seldomly address each other as anh/chi/em etc...normally will just call the person by the name.

ilovedoggie
04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi,

digged out some very very old sms but i was using googldtranslator back then but i would like to know the accurate meaning:

Anh ve singapore song tiep cuoc song nhu truoc kia dung quan tam den nhung chuyen da xay ra truoc do

toi se doi ban. cam nhan va hieu tinh cam = i will wait you. feel and understand sentiment <= correct?

ban muon minh ket hon khong. toi rat muon co cuoc song binh yen va khong phai suy nghi tat ca cua cuoc song. = you want us get married? i really want to have a normal life and not to think about all that life.

voi ban toi se khong doi hoi gi. chi can ban bay gio co the tra het cac khoan no cua toi. thoi khong noi nua toi dau hay toi do <-understand half pass 6 only but KC TRAP spotted!

khong biet do co phai la tinh cam khong nhung luc dau toi khong nghi den dieu do, tinh cam phai trai qua thu thach nhung ngay vua qua ban luon ben canh dong vien an ui luc do toi hieu 1nguoi quan tam toi la tat ca

bay gio toi khong the nghi nhieu. neu 1 ai do cho toi tien tra no du ho co muon toi lam gi toi cung se lam

that long toi khong biet phai cam on ban nhu the nao cho het. thanh that cam on.

cong viec cua toi la: san xuat va che bien ca ba sa

thanks for the help. sincerely thanks all the bros for providing me the learning opportunities.

help pls? :(

jackbl
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Vietnamese tourists? Thanks, but no thanks
==================================================

Traditional houses hundreds of years old that stand among picturesque fruit and flower gardens are a striking feature of Tien Giang Province’s Cai Be District.

But there is another striking aspect about these homes that has been a recent development. They do not welcome Vietnamese tourists.

Starting this August, travel agents’ offices at Cai Be Tourism Wharf avoid taking Vietnamese tourists to these houses as part of the tour to the floating market and orchards in the region. But this is not because villagers have lost their famed hospitality. It is, they say, because their hospitality has been abused.

Phan Van Duc, who owns the famous Ba Duc ancient house in Cai Be’s Dong Hoa Hiep village, said, “We only accept foreigners and Vietnamese tourists who book tours through prestigious companies.”

Duc said his house usually welcomed both foreigners and local visitors, but whenever the place was visited by Vietnamese tourists, they left piles of trash on the ground, and the orchards were left ragged as branches and green fruit were plucked thoughtlessly.

In addition, Vietnamese visitors often order the hosts to cook tortoise and snakes, leave litter under tables and make a lot of noise drinking and getting drunk, said Duc. “There’s no problem cleaning up the place, but we are afraid that this kind of thing could discourage foreign visitors.”

Le Thi Chinh, owner of the Ut Kiet house, considered one of the most beautiful old houses in Vietnam by Japanese archaeologists, said: “It is hard to serve local visitors who are too demanding and always make a mess. Foreign visitors don’t order in bits and snatches, but make reservations in advance. Their dining tables are always clean and they always say sorry if the food spills on the floor.

According to local tour guides, foreigners always pay attention to every detail of the house and this encourages the house’s owners and the tour guides, while Vietnamese tourists are interested in taking pictures and don’t display a proper attitude toward the precious artifacts.

Nguyen Van My, director of the Lua Viet travel company, said most Vietnamese spend their holiday on massage services and drinking, or the tour just includes sightseeing, eating, resting and sporting activities.

Huynh Thanh Huu, manager of the department of tourism operations under Tien Giang Province’s Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism, said that the house owners now refusing to accept Vietnamese tourists will change their behavior if visitors change their attitude and appreciate the need to protect and preserve the architectural and historic relics in all parts of the country.

Tour guides should also inform and remind tourists about these issues before taking them to such places, Huu said.

Thanh Nien News (Original Vietnamese story by Saigon Tiep Thi)

jackbl
05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Cast away in Nha Trang Bay
==========================================
About a 45 minute boat ride out into Nha Trang Bay sit the islands of Mun, Tam and Mot. In recent years, the area has become popular among fishing enthusiasts looking for a quiet, tranquil place to pursue their hobby.

Pristine beaches and fresh seafood have lured tourists to the central coastal city of Nha Trang for years, but fishing tours, which only emerged six years ago, have become an option for tourists who have a little more time to enjoy Viet Nam's coastal areas.

Nha Trang alone has 19 islands and two bays that are suitable for daytime leisure activities including diving, kayaking, swimming and fishing.

Travel agencies in Nha Trang include a fishing option in many of their tour packages to try and entice tourists to stay longer with an alternative form of entertainment.

Tran Duc Vinh, managing director of Asia Adventures, said his company organises fishing trips for around 500 tourists each year.

"Our company first started organising fishing trips seven years ago, after many years of hosting cruises around the bay. We recognised that fishing would keep the tourists active and engaged, rather than sitting on a cruise for hours," Vinh said.

"It's a fantastic tour because our customers are entertained for the whole day. In the morning, they can kick back and take in the beauty of the bay and its surroundings, before settling down to a relaxing afternoon of fishing. In the evening, they can even eat what they catch," Vinh explained.

He added that visitors can also explore the bay by snorkelling and kayaking.

The company's fishing tours attract tourists from Australia, Germany and France, who love the marine entertainment available at Nha Trang's beautiful beaches.

Loc, an experienced tour guide, usually picks his tourists up around 8am.

A short bus ride takes visitors down to Cau Da Port and from there, they embark on wooden boats out to the islands of Mun and Mot.

"Tourists can snorkel or fish in the morning around the island of Mun, where the water is safe, the fish are plentiful, and the coral exotic and colourful," Loc described.

"The fishing and snorkelling gear is prepared by the crew, who also set up a barbecue for the evening. Our guests catch a variety of sized fish, and if they're lucky, sometimes large grouper or red snapper," he said.

"Tourists need time to relax and have fun. They bbq the fish themselves and enjoy a party in the evening after swimming in the warm sea," the guide added.

Loc said that although the waters around Nha Trang Bay are densely populated with fish, sometimes you just have to be patient.

Tran Manh Ha, a local fisherman, described the adrenalin rush he feels when a fish takes the bait.

"It's a real buzz. It doesn't take long to land a small grouper, but for bigger fish...," Ha said.

He added that once after a 30 minute battle with a large grouper, he had been forced to cut his line.

"Sometimes, tourists catch squid, shrimp or even 5kg fish," the local man said.

Ha said that skilful fishermen often go out at night to try and catch the larger fish.

"We have free time to fish at night, but tourists want time to enjoy the scenery during the day," he explained.

Le Hai Son, a retired naval officer, said he enjoyed catching large fish off the coast of Nha Trang.

"It takes around two hours to get out to the good areas. We often anchor in deep water, and I prepare a 100m fishing line with big hooks and flying fish as bait," Son said.

"Flying fish is the ideal bait for deep sea fish. We look for mackerel and grouper between 30-50kg. I even caught a 140kg shark a few years ago that took me and my friends three hours to pull on board," he recalled.

"Fishing is very popular among local people, but I think tourists are becoming more and more interested."

Nguyen Hung, a tour operator from the Luxury travel agency, said his company had organised fishing trips for around 1,000 tourists already this year.

"We want to show the tourists that Nha Trang is not only famous for its beaches and bays, but also for its amazing marine entertainment.

We hope that fishing tours will continue to attract tourists in the coming years," Hung said.

Hung's agency also offers a reasonable package price of US$44 per person for a group of 14.

Source: VNS

KangTuo
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
i see some vb like to make some exclaimation i.e "sax", "phe wa"..
anyone know what it means?

this vb was waiting for someone to send her to malaysia to u-turn. she waited from 3am till 6am, the person then come. she sms me

"bg bx moi chuan bi di"
"phe wa >.<"

deptrai4u
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
i see some vb like to make some exclaimation i.e "sax", "phe wa"..
anyone know what it means?

this vb was waiting for someone to send her to malaysia to u-turn. she waited from 3am till 6am, the person then come. she sms me

"bg bx moi chuan bi di"
"phe wa >.<"

i think....

Sax or Sac = wah lan oi!! (hokkien version of Oh My Cock!)
Phe Wa = Si Bei Shiok!

jeremyhui
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Dear bro,

i need some serious translate to vietnamese which i want to sms my father in law.

my wife keep threaten to go back and shouting at me daily. she wants to buy something every week and never let me live in peace. pls come and bring her back.

volcano
05-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Dear bro,

i need some serious translate to vietnamese which i want to sms my father in law.

my wife keep threaten to go back and shouting at me daily. she wants to buy something every week and never let me live in peace. pls come and bring her back.

hey dude,why do u need to msg ur FIL and ask him to bring ur wife back when ur wife is already threatening u on going back....why dun u just let her go back herself....:confused::confused::confused:

jeremyhui
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
i dont wanna pay for anything. she just dont need me and my baby so why i must pay. help leh bro.

jackbl
06-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Homesick or sick of new home?
===========================================

The more I read about how Vietnam wants more tourists visiting the country, the more I wonder why the private and government entities don't do more. For instance, hotels don't have showrooms, private tour companies don't encourage local businesses to have cultural shows and the government does not provide a safe and sanitary environment.

I have read about surveys that indicate more than 85 percent of tourists would not return to Vietnam because there is nothing for them to purchase or see. As I walk about Le Loi Street in Q1, TPHCM, I notice that there are fewer tourists, yet the newspapers report over five million tourists visit Vietnam. Where are they? Are they tired of being run over by motorbikes and other vehicles that don't obey common sense traffic laws? Are they tired of walking in the streets because businesses occupy the sidewalks? By the way, what is the definition of "sidewalk"? Are they tired of being scammed by merchants and people on the streets? Poor sanitary conditions at food establishments and in the overall environment are also a deterrent. Vietnamese people have to stop putting their fingers up their noses, defecating and urinating on the streets.

Another deterrent is the inability of the staff of hotels and tourist shops to speak English. I was in a so called "Five Star Hotel" that caters to foreigners. I stopped to ask the information desk person about purchasing a newspaper. She told me something in Vietnamese, and I told her in Vietnamese, that I didn't understand Vietnamese. She continued to speak in Vietnamese, finally pointing to the concierge near the front door. This, I find, is a common problem in Vietnam. If you tell them you can't speak Vietnamese, in Vietnamese, they repeat what you said, laugh and continue to speak to you in Vietnamese. Or, if you mispronounce a word in Vietnamese, they turn away and won't try to help you. Just last week, as I was driving to Bien Hoa on my motorbike, I had to stop and ask directions since there aren't adequate road signs and I kept saying "Ben Hoa". People would just shrug their shoulders and turn their backs on me. Finally, I found a roadside vendor that corrected me to say "Bien Hoa" and pointed me in the right direction. Attitudes of the local people greatly influence visitors.

How I miss the áo dài show that was on Ly Tu Trong Street in HCMC! The only cultural show I would take visitors to in Vietnam.

Chao from a person who has traveled the world, seen other countries’ cultural shows and who has chosen Vietnam as a home.

Jim Luke, Ewa Beach, HI USA

KangTuo
06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
doi xu = treat, ngo = believe, te = bad
nghe loi = listen to your words (聽話), chang = no/negative
ton lai = exist, duoi am phu = down there in the hell (下陰府)
nghia = meaning, don gian = easy, tat tho = last breath (斷氣)
bat cu = any, gia tri = explain
Hien = now, han = hate
to ra = show, co nao = which girl
trang diem = decoration

IMO, gia tri = giá trị = Value worth

i think....

Sax or Sac = wah lan oi!! (hokkien version of Oh My Cock!)
Phe Wa = Si Bei Shiok!

cam on cam on.. :)
infact i learned alot of new words and alot funny phrases from this vb but just being a bad student, i cannot remember

my mind only keep plotting to bonk her at FOC or at least minimum rate... tiring sia :(

jackbl
06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
infact i learned alot of new words and alot funny phrases from this vb but just being a bad student, i cannot remember

Pls help us to learn more TV :D

KangTuo
06-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Pls help us to learn more TV :D

i am lousy student myself. how to help you bros to learn TV.
i just had some tongue twister lesson at BQ but forget what i learned liao :p

ilovedoggie
06-09-2011, 07:21 AM
my mind only keep plotting to bonk her at FOC or at least minimum rate... tiring sia :(

that's my shifu :)

can pls pass down some more tricks to me this useless apprentice? :D

Honey Boon
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
get yourself a van first... then can save some money on hotel in the long run :D

that's my shifu :)

KangTuo
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM

you can search and read some of the conversation sms that I had with some vb.

it may be difficult to search cause I tcss alot :p you may search alot of crap from me here :)

KangTuo
07-09-2011, 01:55 AM
just recieve an sms from a vb.

ngay xx thang xx nam xxxx gio x:xx
em cam thay hanh phuc vi co anh o ben canh, moi ngay doi voi em dieu co 1 niem vui moi. uoc gi moi ngay em deu co anh ben canh em... anh la con duong co nhieu cay xanh va anh sang... va em tim do la con duong hanh phuc... em yeu anh.

any bro to help translate those in red?

i believe if we swop the anh and em, it will be a good sms to kc vb :)

jackbl
07-09-2011, 01:08 PM
A Tay or not a Tay?
=================================
Dear readers,

How did you celebrate National Day? Did you follow any of our guides to make the day more special?

September 2 in 1945 marks the beginning of a new era in Vietnam as President Ho Chi Minh read the Declaration of Independence at Ba Dinh Square in capital Hanoi. September 2 in 1969 marks the end of a great life by the President when he passed away after years struggling for the country’s liberty. And September 2 in 1975 marks the birth of Tuoi Tre Newspaper, without which we would not be here today talking to you about history.

After 36 years, Tuoi Tre has not been only well-known among locals but also foreigners who come to live in Vietnam. We’re always happy to listen to your frank opinions and constructive criticisms, from which we will make our newspaper better quality. Send your thoughts about us to [email protected] and we will put them up on this column. Don’t worry about privacy, you can use an alias or remain anonymous. It is your message to us that counts the most.

Acting as a bridge between locals and foreigners in Vietnam, TuoiTre News always hopes to make each side understand more about the other’s culture through our news and stories Starting last week, we have been discussing about a foreigner trying to adapt to a new country he or she lives.

American teacher and writer CG Fewston wrote us to give more tips on how he adapted to new life here. Besides learning local language and culture, Fewston also seeks more Vietnamese friends:

“My Vietnamese students have always been eager to have me join them for coffee or for karaoke or to chat on the internet. By seeking out locals rather than existing in a foreign bubble of nostalgia, I have learned to understand and respect Vietnam much more every day,” wrote Fewston.

Having lived in Vietnam for three years and a half and learned the language, Michael is supposed to get along with new life here. However, he finds it frustrated to be treated as an outsider by locals.

“[…]As a foreigner, I find it hard to integrate into Vietnamese society and be treated like a local however long I have lived here. Vietnamese cling to some stereotypes about foreigners. I cannot become a Vietnamese but I do not want to be looked at differently every time I walk on the street,” shared Michael.

He even wanted to wear a T-shirt saying ‘Please do not call me foreigner’ on the street. Crazy as his idea may sound, we understand that Michael loves the country and wants to be a part of it despite his different appearance.

Michael’s story is related to an issue of integration, which has sparked various opinions from our readers.

M.Nguyen, a Vietnamese who has lived in US for 30 years shared that she has never been considered American:

“The U.S. never considers me "American", even though I voted and paid more taxes than some/most of them. […] No one who is Asian in the U.S. will ever be considered an "American" even if they're born there. It's a fact.”

Other readers remarked about the word Tay, that it merely means ‘foreigner’ rather than any negative nuance or discrimination. C.Blank, who has lived in Vietnam for more than 10 years said he’s got used to being called foreigner:

“I am married to Vietnamese, speak fluent Vietnamese, own my house and car in Vietnam and work to earn my living in Vietnam. Yet, I am still and always will be a foreigner. […] Perhaps, it will take a few more years for you to get used to the stares but try and zone it out for your own good. You may also consider setting down roots and really integrating yourself, you will know this has truly happened when you are able to think like the locals, thus understand and accept why you and people like me are still foreigners living in Vietnam.”

In fact, expats in Japan also experience the same issue as they have been called gaijin, which means a foreigner and an outsider. In high-context societies like Japan or Vietnam where people define themselves as a part of their family, of their work team, of the society, it is really not nice to be called an outsider, someone who doesn’t belong to where they live. The word gaijin has become so sensitive and sometimes offensive to foreigners that it has been avoided on national televisions.

Other readers, what do you think? Is calling foreigners ‘tay’ or ‘tay ba lo’ politically incorrect? And if your looks are different from the locals, is it already decided that you will never be welcomed into their group?

Alright, we guess it’s enough of deep talks today. We’ll leave you some time to think about it, but do not forget to enjoy the rest of your holiday.

See you next time!

jackbl
07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Vietnamese translation service market heating up
================================================== =======
VietNamNet Bridge – The phrase “dich may” (translating with machine) cannot be found in the Vietnamese dictionary yet. However, the machine translation market has been heating up in the digital era.

A group of scientists intended to celebrate the 66th Vietnamese National Day September 2, in a special way: debuting the machine translation market. This is the group of computer programmers, born in 1982-1987, who wrote a special software piece – Bocohan. Dr Nguyen Ai Viet, the head of the group, called the software Bocohan to make the day the product was completed – December 30. On the same day in 1408, Vietnam won in the glorious fight against the Ming Dynasty’s army.

Part 1: Demand increasingly high

A student of the Hanoi Medical University said that she has to look for the reliable translators who can help translate medical professional documents from English to Vietnamese. Every member in her class has been assigned to translate a page of a book. And when all of them finish translating, the lecturer will have a book which updates all the latest healthcare achievements of the world.

However, translating healthcare documents proves to be a difficult task for many people, including students. Therefore, the medical students may pay up to 10 dollars per page to translators. However, it is very difficult to find reliable service providers.

In general, it is very costly to translate documents from English for special purposes (ESP). One would have to pay 20-30 dollars per page for translating legal documents. The translation of World Bank’s legal documents can be paid up to 60 dollars per page.

Therefore, though the translation market in Vietnam remains a fledgling, the total turnover from translation service in 2010 was still high at no less than 30-40 million dollars, according to Dr Nguyen Ai Viet, Director of the Information Technology Institute under the Hanoi National University.

Non-machine translators can’t get contracts

A question has been raised regarding who can obtain lucrative translation contracts. Viet said that the biggest piece of the cake, estimated to be worth 40-50 million dollars in 2011, falls into the hand of foreign translation companies. Why?

One may thing that foreign companies are more advantageous than domestic ones because they have more qualified translators. However, experts have affirmed that the biggest advantage that helps foreign companies inferior to domestic ones is the support of translation machines or translation software pieces.

Dr Dao Hong Thu, a well known linguist, said that the pretax profit of the global machine translation market of big translation companies alone was 13 billion dollars in 2010, while the figure is expected to be double this year.

In the digital era, translators not only use their heads in the translation work. Nowadays, most international translation companies only recruit the translators who can use the translation software pieces. Translation machines prove to be the efficient supporters who help translators increase their translation speed by 3-4 times.

“The number of translators who can use translation software account for no less than 83 percent of the total professional translators worldwide,” Dr Viet said.

Meanwhile, the non-machine translation market in Vietnam has been steadily growing with increasingly high turnover. Phuong Nam Company, for example, translates eight books a year and earns the profits of no less than 10 billion dong. However, the turnover from manual translation market proves to be too small if compared with that of the machine translation market.

The Vietnamese translation market is believed to be worth no less than 200-300 million dollars a year. However, foreign translation companies have jumped into the market for the last many years, who have obtained big contracts with big organizations and economic groups such as Samsung, Toyota, Panasonic, WB. Technique or legal documents of the institutions have never been assigned to Vietnamese groups of translators, because the groups cannot meet the requirements in quality and deliveries.

In other countries, the pay is made based on the numbers of words, while in Vietnam, the pay is calculated based on the number of pages. The Ministry of Finance is now paying 45,000 dong per page for the translation from English to Vietnamese, and 50,000 dong per page from Vietnamese to English. For the last many years, a lot of government agencies and institutions cannot find good service providers because of the overly low pay they offer.

Source: Tien phong

VietnamLover
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
moi ngay doi voi em dieu co 1 niem vui moi.

uoc gi moi ngay em deu co anh ben canh em

anh la con duong co nhieu cay xanh va anh sang

Each day for me to have 1 new joy.

Wish one day I have you next to me.

You are the path with many trees and light.

jackbl
09-09-2011, 01:29 AM
So fierce !!!!

Boy beaten to death for stealing fruits
============================================
Police in Thanh Hoa central province are investigating into the death of 15-year-old Van Dinh Hung, who was allegedly beaten to death by local resident(s) on September 4 after being found stealing guava fruits from a garden.

His family said Hung and four of his friends living in Bac Son Ward in Sam Son District came to the river for a swim. Police suspect they swam across the other riverbank to break into a garden located in Chau Chinh hamlet in Quang Chau commune to steal fruits from a guava garden.

However, local residents caught their act and chased after them. They beat and thrust Hung down into the river, police said. He died on the way to hospital.

Eyewitnesses said Hung suffered bruises on eyes, lips, legs, hands, and noses.

Police identified Nguyen Van Duong, 46, as the culprit.

An autopsy showed Hung sustained severe injuries on the temples and suffered a dent on the head.

jackbl
09-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Be careful with moon cakes!
==================================
VietNamNet Bridge – Chinese traders can satisfy any demand for stuffing of moon cakes from Vietnamese producers. They can supply all kinds of stuffing of dozens of tons within 1-2 days.

Moon cake market starts early, quality is out of control

The moon cake market for this year’s mid-autumn festival has made an earlier start over last year, with higher prices due to rising input costs and soaring prices of food, rice and cooking gas, according to Tuoi Tre.

Many well-known bakeries including Kinh Do, Dong Khanh, Bibica and Thanh Long have started production for the moon festival since mid-July, two months ahead of the festival.

Most of the moon cake makers said prices this year would be 15 to 30 percent higher than last year since input cost soared.

“Flour, sugar and salted duck egg prices rose by 40 percent, 60 percent and 77 percent respectively,” Thanh Long Moon Cake Company said. Kinh Do, Bibica and Dong Khanh all announced price hikes of between 10 and 20 percent over last year, standing around VND65,000-120,000 (US$3-6) a cake.

However, prices could actually be higher as the producers have reduced the cake’s weight. A 210-g moon cake with ham, for instance, is sold at VND72,000 each, while consumers had to spend only VND66,000 for a 300-g cake of the same kind last year.

Many price hikes in essentials including rice, pork and cooking gas. Rice prices increased by 10 percent over last week, why grain prices of this year’s summer-autumn crop surged by 54 percent over last year.

The director of a Tien Giang-based rice exporter attributed the price increase to the 15-percent hike in the rice exporting contracts of the domestic rice firms. Meanwhile, prices of pork, beef and poultry meat have also surged by up to 40 percent as of August. The 12-percent increase of feed prices and the 30-percent hike in maintenance cost have sent food prices skyrocket, many producers said.

For their parts, cooking gas suppliers Saigon Petro, Petrolimex Saigon have announced a retail price increase of VND8,000 per cylinder early this week, after two reductions in the last two months. The move was made after global contract price has surged by $25 per ton.

These moon cake makers have offered many kinds of high-class moon cakes, which are priced from dozens to hundreds of US dollars/box. However, it is difficult to know whether the quality of these products is high-class or not.

Producers claim that high-class moon cakes are made from valuable materials of excellent quality, such as shark fin, bird net, abalone, etc. but the quality and the weight of moon cakes are not tightly controlled.

Most kinds of high-class moon cakes are accompanied with foreign wine or sophisticated boxes. It means that the quality of these moon cakes doesn’t depend on the cakes, but the wine or the cake box.

Before the mid-autumn festival 2007, Vu Khac Tuyen in HCM City paid nearly $800 for 36 moon cakes boxes branded Ming Dynasty of Khai Duc Company. Tuyen presented these moon cakes to his clients. However, ten days later, he got feedback that the cakes were moldy. The producer had to compensate Tuyen. Similar cases happened for many kinds of high-class moon cakes of famous brands.

The Food Hygiene Agency under the Health Ministry has launched an inspection of mooncake quality in 18 provinces and cities. However, in each province, inspectors will only test 10-40 samples of moon cakes.

Han Tu Do, Hanoi’s health inspector, said that the expiry date for sticky rice cakes is from 7 to 30 days and up to 2 months for pies. “If moon cakes are not spoiled after that date, consumers should report to competent agencies,” Do said.

Uncertified moon cake filling from China

Chinese traders offer Vietnamese moon cake producers hundreds of samples of stuffing of moon cakes. Moon-cake filling is produced in Pingxiang and transported into Vietnam through the border.

Stuffing is packed in 20kg boxes. The prices vary, depending on the quality. A Chinese trader explained that cheap stuffing is produced by private enterprises, without being certificated for quality. More expensive stuffing is produced by modern machine by big producers and it is tested for quality.

According to this trader, to prepare stuffing of moon cakes for the Vietnamese market, Chinese traders purchased materials from Vietnam many months ago. A large volume of stuffing was produced several months ago.

At this moment, stuffing of moon cakes is priced from 350 to 600 Chinese yuan per 20 kilos ($2.5-4.5/kg), if the goods are delivered at the border market. The price is 30 Chinese yuan more if the goods is delivered in Dong Dang town, in Lang Son province.

It is very simple to purchase stuffing of moon cakes from China. Vietnamese producers only need to contact and pay deposit to an intermediate in Lang Son. Stuffing will be legally or illegally transported into Vietnam by porters.

Vy Cong Tuong, vice chief of the Lang Son Customs Bureau, said that by early August 2011, four Vietnamese enterprises imported over 20 tons of powder and nearly 30 tons of stuffing of moon cakes from China. Some kinds of stuffing has an expiry date of up to six months.

Colonel Luong Minh Thao, vice head of the Police Agency on Environmental Crime Prevention, said that stuffing of moon cakes imported illegally into Vietnam may reach hundreds of tons.

The Hanoi environmental police recently seized two tons of Chinese-made moon cake fillings without clear origins and 50,000 salted duck eggs, another moon cake ingredient, which lacked invoices, labels, or food safety certificates from a house in Thuy Khe Street, Hanoi. The house is the address of a well-known moon cake maker.

PV

yeehaa
09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeehaa joining in the fun:)

jackbl
10-09-2011, 12:27 AM
I wonder are they investigation or waiting for someone to hand them big ang bao to close the case :D

Police are investigating
===================================

If you read much English-language Vietnamese news online, you'll often read this conclusion and chuckle silently: "Police are investigating."

These are crime stories and you may imagine to yourself that police are investigating, how they're looking for clues (cue CSI: Saigon), and at what point they conclude their investigation conclusively. (There are far fewer followups in the papers.)

Police are investigating all sorts of claims.

Seriously, every quote from the police: "we are investigating". Here is a bunch of random samples from recent news articles at TuoiTre News:

- Justice official overspeeds, threatens traffic police. Police are investigating.

- A decomposing male body was found under a manhole inside the Thao Nguyen Xanh Restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City’s Binh Chanh District last Saturday when neighbors smelled a bad odor. Preliminary investigations found that the victim could be robbed and killed. Police are investigating.

- Headless body of young girl found on Saigon River. The body is decomposing. Police are investigating.

- At 7am Wednesday, a bus overturned while traveling on the National Highway 1A through Thanh Hoa province’s Tinh Gia district, injuring 30 passengers. The bus was traveling on the North-South route when it met two children walking in the opposite direction. Police are investigating.

- Mother killed, son injured on way to take exam: The mother who was said to be taking her son on motorbike to school to take a college entrance examination was hit by a trailer tractor coming from a different lane. Police are investigating.

- Four houses were destroyed in a morning fire in Ho Chi Minh City’s Tan Phu district today, leaving many people homeless... However, police said no one was killed or injured. Police are investigating.

- A truck driver who admitted to nodding off at the wheel crashed into a motorcycle on National Highway 1A in the northern province of Ha Tinh early this morning, killing an old man and severely injuring his grandson. Preliminary investigations found that Khu Hoang Long, the driver, hit some traffic cones before hitting the motorbike coming in the opposite lane. Police are investigating.

- Chemical explosion kills one at Deawoo Vietnam: Authorities said the victim could have been smoking when he opened the tank and a cigarette end could have fallen into the liquid. Smoking is banned at the site. Police are investigating.

- Kien Giang family committed suicide by fire: A couple and their 3-year-old daughter in the southern province of Kien Giang were killed in what might have been a suicide by fire early Saturday morning. Police are investigating.

- Finnish couple jumped to death in HCMC. Police are investigating.

- 39 motorbikes burnt to bones after truck fire... Police are investigating.

- A woman’s body without a head and two arms was found Friday noon at an isolated land lot in the northern city of Hai Phong. She was totally naked except for a pair of underpants. Curiosity seekers flocked to the scene, causing a huge traffic jam in the area. Police are investigating.

I feel that on top of investigating things the police should also work on preventing traffic deaths from large vehicles, apparent mass suicides, fire hazards, and bodies from going headless.

*Tomo Huynh is a Vietnamese- Japanese working in IT field

jackbl
10-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Referees are swaying Vietnam’s football, say senior coaches

VietNamNet Bridge – Nguyen Thanh Vinh, coach of Hoa Phat Hanoi FC, said that referees are mafia who are swaying Vietnam’s football. Le Thuy Hai, one of the most famous coaches in Vietnam, agreed with Vinh.

They both said that there are only several referees of good qualification. The remaining referees are all unqualified. Vinh and Hai’s comments fit the actual situation.

Referees showed serious mistakes in all 26 rounds of the V-League or the First Division 2011. Below are the most serious mistakes of referees:

In the 7th round of V-League at the Stadium of Vinh City, referee Ngo Quoc Hung gave the host Song Lam Nghe An (SLNA) a free penalty, though the ball did not touch the hand of halfback John Wole of Thanh Hoa FC. Finally, SLNA was the winner with three goals.

In the 12th round, Navibank Saigon’s captain Tai Em was pulled to the ground by a midfielder of the rival team in the penalty area, but referee Nguyen Van Quyet neglected it.

In the 18th round, also at the Stadium of Vinh City, referee Vo Minh Tri gave a free penalty to Hoang Anh Gia Lai, though midfielder Huy Hoang of the host team – SLNA – did not touch the ball at all.

In the 23rd round, referee Tran Cong Trong treated Hoa Phat Hanoi FC unfairly, resulting in the team’s 1-2 lose. After this game, Hoa Phat Hanoi FC stated that it wanted to leave V-League.

In the 24th round, referee Nguyen Van Quyet did not allow Binh Duong to have a penalty, though Hai Phong FC’s fault was clear. As a result, Binh Duong lost 0-1 at its home stadium.

Because of the referees’ mistakes, the results of the above matches and the fate of some FCs were directly influenced. It is said that these mistakes did not come from referees’ qualifications, but because they were bribed.

Bui Nhu Duc, member of the National Referee Council, said that wage of referees is too low. “Taxi fares from the Noi Bai airport to stadiums in the city’s hub is VND350,000, but referees are paid only VND90,000. If referees did not love their job, they would have not been referees. The pay for referees and supervisors at young football tournaments is too low. Can we be confident to fight bribery?”

Duc said that not only referees but others involved in the V-League or First Division can be “shot” by “bullets covered by money”.

In Duc’s opinion, there are enough referees and their qualifications are good, but the matter is how to urge them to give their whole mind to their job, to become professional referees.

Senior coach Le Thuy Hai, said that it is unnecessary to use referees based on their hometowns and questioned whether referees who made serious mistakes should be dismissed?

The National Referee Council has recently dismissed three referees named Tran Cong Trong, Nguyen Van Quyet and Do Quoc Hoai from the V-League and First Division tournament 2012. Trong and Quyet were accused to make unfair decisions which are unacceptable, while Hoai was said to have unhealthy lifestyle.

Coach Le Thanh Vinh, who severely criticized referee Trong Cong Trong, said: “My speech is proven to be right but it is needed to make clear mistakes of referee Trong and others. Do you believe the team of referees will be clean, with sense of justice if we dismiss three referees?”

The National Referee Coach has nominated five referees for the Golden Whistle 2011 title, including: Vu Bao Linh, Phung Dinh Dung, Nguyen Trong Thu, Vo Quang Vinh and Nguyen Phi Long. The winner will be announced on September 8.

TA

jackbl
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
F..k you, pay the road bribes
======================================
Some traffic policemen in Thanh Hoa Province blatantly demanded interest-borne bribes from truck drivers found violating road rules. And when the cops are not happy, they can resort to threatening, swearing and beating.

Traffic violations normally include overloading, speeding, driving on wrong lanes, and so on.

Tuoi Tre undercover reporters accompanied an overloaded truck carrying timber from Dak Lak to Hanoi.

At 8 pm on July 31 on National Highway 1A in Tinh Gia District, we stopped at a check point where police car 36B-1237 was being parked.

An officer, who was later identified as Nguyen Van Doi, asked truck driver Tinh “What kind of wood are you carrying?” “Jackfruit wood,” Tinh replied and handed his driver’s license and other papers, in which a VND200,000 (US$9.6) banknote was inserted, to an officer named Hai.

After inspecting the truck with a torch, officer Doi told officer Hai, “Not Jackfruit, but a kind of precious wood”. Hai then told the truck driver “You gave just VND200,000. It must be VND5 million ($240).”

When driver Tinh said he could not afford VND5 million, Hai replied “If you do not agree to the rate, I will have a higher rate for you.”

Driver Tinh lamented he has already paid a lot of money by showing officer Hai a report issued by a forestry management station in which he was fined VND20 million.

However, Hai insisted on the “road-buying fee” -- a slang for the word “bribe” -- and threatened that he would refer the truck to the Forestry Management Sub-Department for punishment.

Pay bribes in installments, with interests

As Tinh brought only VND1.1 million, he begged Hai to have him pay the bribe in installments and that he would give his driver’s license and the truck papers to Hai as security.

Officer Hai agreed but officer Doi added, “I you owe us money, you must pay us a daily interest of VND500,000 [in addition to the principal]” and handed him a sheet of paper. Doi then told the driver to write “I owe you” and sign on it.

At 9: 30 pm at another check point in the province, Tinh slipped a VND100,000 banknote to an officer who was not wearing a name tag and was standing next to patrol car No. 36B-1256.

Upon seeing the money, this officer immediately announced “How can you pay just VND100,000 for all of your truck of wood?”

Tinh explained he had paid VND5 million in the first check point. When the officer expressed disbelief, Tinh informed that officer Hai had told him not to pay much at this check point.

Immediately, the unnamed official telephoned Hai to complain something and then reluctantly received VND100,000 and let us go.

After unloading in Dong Anh District, Hanoi, Tinh called Hai, informing he would meet him to pay VND5 million and get back the papers, but Hai told Tinh to meet Doi, as he was not on duty that day.

After receiving bribe, policeman assaults driver

At 9 pm on August 1, we returned to Thanh Hoa Province and when we met Doi, Tinh asked him to reduce the ‘fee’ as VND5.5 million [including one-day interest] is too high.

But Doi refused.

After Tinh paid him the money, he asked Doi to return the “I owe you” piece of paper but Doi objected, saying he would tear up the note himself. Angry, Tinh shouted out loud “Why could you charge as much as VND500,000 as interest per day?”

At that time, Doi swore “F..k you! I will smash up your face. What a dog!”, and rushed to Tinh to beat him on the head and back.

A group of traffic policemen nearby did not intervene. Tinh eventually managed to escape.

In several trips afterwards, Tuoi Tre reporters found the same situation in Thanh Hoa Province.

On August 3, also in Ha Trung check point, an officer, without wearing a name badge, refused to receive VND50,000 and told the driver, “No need to say much. Pay enough and go. If not, stay here”.

On August 11, in Tinh Gia District, our truck carrying chieu lieu (terminalia) wood without documents was stopped by a group of policemen, one of whom - Nguyen Nhu Sang - asked the driver to pay VND12 million.

Pay or I’ll slap you

The driver begged for a lower fee but Sang indifferently announced “Pay that money or I will slap you in the face”. The driver had to pay the money to Sang.

On August 12, Tuoi Tre journalists found another truck driver giving VND200,000 to Tran Nhat Quynh, an officer at the Hau Loc District check point. This driver explained he had already paid VND1.3 million at the previous check point.

The officer then received the money but threatened, “If I meet you next time at the inner check point and you do not pay me that much, I will show you what’s what.”

A similar situation was seen in other central provinces like Quang Binh and Thua-Thien-Hue.

Not only drivers carrying wood, but those transporting fruits had to pay the bribes.

On July 29, at a check point in Tung Lam Commune, Tinh Gia District, Thanh Hoa Province, an officer without an ID badge collected VND100,000 from every driver of fruit trucks that passed by.

jackbl
10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Vietnamese translation service market heating up

Part 2: The machine translation market springs up in Vietnam
VietNamNet Bridge – A lot of professional translators and interpreters swear not to use translation machines, because they believe that the grey matter in translators’ heads is considered the most important thing in the job. However, they may change their mind in the near future.

The Vietnamese translation market is believed to be worth no less than 200-300 million dollars a year. However, the biggest pieces of the cake, according to analysts, have fallen into the hands of foreign companies.

In principle, domestic companies and freelance translators can expect to find clients from state agencies or organizations. However, it is always difficult for the organizations to find good translators because of the low fees they offer.

After many years of keeping the same translation rates at 45,000-50,000 dong per page, the Ministry of Finance has decided to raise the rates to 70,000 dong and 90,000 dong for English-Vietnamese and Vietnamese-English translation, respectively. Besides, it is also offering different rates which are well higher – 140,000 dong per page for English-Vietnamese, and 150,000 dong for Vietnamese-English.

These rates prove to be closer to the market prices at 7 dollars and 10 dollars per page. Dr Viet said he cannot understand why there exist such different rates.

A lot of professional translators and interpreters swear not to use translation machines, because they believe that the grey matter in translators’ heads is considered the most important thing in the job. Meanwhile, people also do not believe in translation machines.

However, it is now the time for Vietnamese people to get enlightened, as the importance of machine translation has been recognized for the last half a century in the world.

Dr Viet, who heads a big information technology center belonging to one of the biggest universities in Vietnam, has been joining forces with his team to write a translation software piece, hoping to create the most reliable translation machine in Vietnam.

“Our software piece is altogether different from Google in both the procedure and quality,” Viet said confidently.

“No one can understand the Vietnamese language better than Vietnamese people,” Viet said. “Therefore, information technology is just a tool to create the software piece. The quality of machine translation is decided by the quality of the language support software,” he continued.

The National Translation & Interpretation Center under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has ordered the English-Vietnamese translation machine with the group of scientists headed by Dr Viet. The translation machine has been built up with the total cost of 100,000 dollars.

In fact, the English-Vietnamese translation machine of Google is just priced at less than 10 million dong, but it cannot provide the things Vietnamese people need.

Viet said that with the “effective weapon” – the translation machine – he feels confident in any competition with other rivals. The machine allows translators to increase the translation speed by three times, while ensuring the high quality of services.

Dr Viet has revealed that he has accepted a job of translating for the Ministry of Information and Communication at the very competitive rates of 100,000-150,000 dong per page. It did not take Viet much exertion with the job, because Viet has the excellent translation machine.

The scientist has invested 600,000 dollars to design the two-way (English-Vietnamese and Vietnamese-English) translation support system. The system made debut in 2009 which has been upgraded regularly.

Viet is cherishing a plan to organize a machine translation trade fair to talk about the machine translation market in Vietnam. The special market has been scheduled to open in September, when Vietnam celebrates the 66th anniversary of the National Day.

However, Viet admitted that people still keep indifferent to translation machines. A project on creating a translation machine which can give support in translating six main languages in the world has been put forward, which may cost 1.5 million dollars, has not been welcomed.

Source: Tien phong

KangTuo
11-09-2011, 05:23 AM
last few days, i suppose to be in thailand and to call or sms a vb here in silllypore but i was actually enjoying in vn. i recieve few sms from this vb but i don't know some words from this sms

"moi ngay dc ox dt nt wen roi bg ko co ox roi bx cam thay trong trai lam. ox ko them dy nt hoi gio nay bx dang o dau lam gi. bx nho ox phat khung luon roi ne."

today i just came back, i called and found out she is playing billard with 2 customer/friends. I told her if the customer never give money, she should go home starightaway (angrily) as she told me before that whoever bring her out must give money. The guys give her $100 and she took taxi back.

kt: tai sao bx di choi ma kg di lam? ox buon bx vi bx bit hnay ox di ve ma con di choi. ng ta co cho tien kg?
vb: hnay la bx ru ngta di choi nen ko lay tien.
kt: bg di xin tien roi di ve nha. di lam kg di lam ma di choi hoai. ox buon bx
vb: ox dung nhu vay dc ko? bx biet loi roi ma
kt: nt hoai. bg xin tien di ve chua?
vb: bx nho ox.. ox ve roi keu bx lam gi bx cung lam het. ngta cho $100.
vb: hwa bx lai uong bia say roi wa ben joo chiat online 1minh, ko thay ox len mang bx ngoi trong internet khoc, ox dau co bt may chuyen do, ox chi bt trach bx di choi voi ngta thoi

later she get in taxi, we exchange few sms

vb: hnay bx ko trang diem, ng chay taxi noi bx giong ng hoa, ko giong ng vietnam.
kt: ban ox noi bx giong "xiao la jiao (chilli padi) ".. "ut nho" vi bx o cho lam danh nhau
bv: Sax, bx dau co hung du dau ma dat ten xiao la jiao.

any bro to help the highlighted words?

jackbl
11-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Bro, u just came back, too tired to check dictionary but can stay awake till 5am to post here???? :D :p

ilovedoggie
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
how to say:

your place is very noisy. i cannot hear you properly.

thanks.

KangTuo
11-09-2011, 09:08 PM
how to say:

your place is very noisy. i cannot hear you properly.

thanks.

hopes it not too late to translate...

cho lam em om som wa. a kg dc nghe j het.
your work place very noisy/loud. i cannot hear a thing

KangTuo
11-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Bro, u just came back, too tired to check dictionary but can stay awake till 5am to post here????

you know my my stored how many sms from this vb or not. need to clear up daily to free memory space. sms deleted from my phone. now i will check dictionary. don't scold leh :p ;)

jackbl
12-09-2011, 03:35 AM
you know my my stored how many sms from this vb or not. need to clear up daily to free memory space. sms deleted from my phone. now i will check dictionary. don't scold leh :p ;)

I din scold u. I reprimand u. :D So which words u cant find in dictionary???

KangTuo
12-09-2011, 03:41 AM

none.... :)
so you went chiong the ktv you jio-ed me to?
chance upon my vb from that ktv?

jackbl
12-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Da Lat to host flower festival
===============================================

Da Lat, a Vietnam’s well-known tourist attraction will hold its fourth annual flower festival at the end of this year, local government told Tuoitre Friday.

“Da Lat – The Flower Festival City” will have activities like flower exhibitions, photo displays and flower-decorated floats marching around the Central Highland city and its neighboring areas.

The festival’s main venue whose total area covers 12,000 meter square will be located near its Ho Xuan Huong lake and decorated with four large flower beds, Da Lat’s seasonal flower displays and installations and miniatures made of flowers of Europe origin.

Locals citizen are also encouraged to grow and decorate their houses with flowers, as authority said they had prepared at least 30,000 flower seedlings to give out.

Drawing nearly 300,000 tourist visits last year, the festival to cost a total of VND 17 billion (US$ 817,000) is expected to attract a larger number of tourists this year.

It will take place from December 12, 2011 to January 3, 2012 in Da Lat.

jackbl
12-09-2011, 03:57 AM
none.... :)
so you went chiong the ktv you jio-ed me to?
chance upon my vb from that ktv?

Now no one in that KTV knows u. U can safely chiong there... Read from newspaper there are police raids in JC/GL on Sat night.

lovesprout
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

I concur with Jackbl that ALL words can be found in Vdict

trong trai: empty
phat khung: go crazy
loi : mistake
trach: reprimand
hung du: fierce

madmaster
12-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Anyone kind enuff to help me translate this sentence

Em rât yeu anh.anh không giôg như luc trươc

Thanks in advance.

jackbl
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM

One word spelled incorrect :
anh không giông như luc trươc (http://translate.google.com/#vi|en|)

madmaster
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
One word spelled incorrect :

Thanks for ur prompt reply. Well appreciated. :)

jackbl
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Wish all Bros here have a nice festival with your Bx or GFs :)

Chuc cac ban Tet Trung Thu tran day niem vui va hanh phuc!

KangTuo
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
recieve a sms from a vb yesterday night

"bx ko muon dilam nua. bx ko muon lam nghe nay nua, bx met moi lam roi. Cau troi bx bi HIV chet me cho roi. Song ma bi ngta cha dap than xac bx tha chet con hon"

Check vdict,
chà đạp = To trample on
than = thân = body or ???
xac = xác = corspe or xấc = impolite

what is the best translation for the highlighted?

deptrai4u
12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
recieve a sms from a vb yesterday night

"bx ko muon dilam nua. bx ko muon lam nghe nay nua, bx met moi lam roi. Cau troi bx bi HIV chet me cho roi. Song ma bi ngta cha dap than xac bx tha chet con hon"

Check vdict,
chà đạp = To trample on
than = thân = body or ???
xac = xác = corspe or xấc = impolite

what is the best translation for the highlighted?

To be kicked around like rubbish.

jackbl
13-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Cau troi bx bi HIV chet me cho roi

I dun understand this? what is the best translation for the highlighted?

deptrai4u
13-09-2011, 09:29 AM

I dun think we really need to be too clinical about every single word, but I guess the meaning of the sentence is "and someone cursed me that I will get HIV and die like a sick dog...."

KangTuo
13-09-2011, 10:32 AM
yesterday night brought a vb to the beach to 携灯笼. After going home, she give me some TV lesson. Sharing here...

vb: co le em dang song trong ao giac, nhung em mong la se ko co thuoc nao tri benh ao giac het. Anh dung bao gio lay kim dam vao tim em nha.
kt: (quite)... searching vdict
vb: ox hieu bx nt gi ko?
kt: hieu chet lien ma ox se tim hieu
vb: ma thoi ox dung hoc nhieu tieng viet wa lam gi, mat cong di cua gai cung vay ah
kt: (quite)... searching vdict
vb: ko can noi tim hieu phai noi la nghien cuu, khi wen 1 nguoi nao do muon biet nhieu ve nguoi do moi goi la tim hieu

vb: bx ko ngu dc
kt: om den long ngu se ngu dc
vb: bx dang dot long den ma? om long den ngu nagy mai long cua bx ko con hjhj
kt: "long den" hay la "den long" moi dung?
vb: den long = bac ky, long den = nam ky
kt: uh = nam ky, vang = bac ky
vb: ko. da = nam ky, da vang = bac ky, u = bac ky, o = nam ky
kt: ya. co giao
vb: hoc tro ngoan

highlighted in blue is something new i learned.
any bro know the meaning/translation highlighted in red?

deptrai4u
13-09-2011, 12:13 PM
yesterday night brought a vb to the beach to 携灯笼. After going home, she give me some TV lesson. Sharing here...

vb: ma thoi ox dung hoc nhieu tieng viet wa lam gi, mat cong di cua gai cung vay ah

highlighted in blue is something new i learned.
any bro know the meaning/translation highlighted in red?

Mat cong = waste time... waste money .. waste energy ..

SureScore
13-09-2011, 06:32 PM

I learned something new. Thank you very much.

lovesprout
13-09-2011, 08:21 PM

"me cho roi" means "say it out straight and loud"

KangTuo
13-09-2011, 10:23 PM
To be kicked around like rubbish.

I dun think we really need to be too clinical about every single word, but I guess the meaning of the sentence is "and someone cursed me that I will get HIV and die like a sick dog...."

you are the best..... ;)

I learned something new. Thank you very much.

i learned alot of new words these few weeks :p
i engaged myself a good teacher

jackbl
14-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Thank you for sharing with us.... Cant find many teachers to teach me TV :(

KangTuo
14-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Thank you for sharing with us.... Cant find many teachers to teach me TV :(

don't need keep finding teachers to teach. got good one, keep finding her to teach lor.

today i had a my basic lesson outdoor (in car). tomorrow i will have my basic test indoor... :D

jackbl
14-09-2011, 01:18 AM
don't need keep finding teachers to teach. got good one, keep finding her to teach lor.

today i had a my basic lesson outdoor (in car). tomorrow i will have my basic test indoor...

Yesterd I went homeground and found 1 teacher. Engaged her for a 2hr lesson. She didnt state the price :) In classroom, she got initiative. Wanted to teach me many NEW WORDS.... she wanted to dictate how the lesson goes about, at her pace and her liking. I told her, I cant catch up cos I am old, MIND not working well. :D

jackbl
14-09-2011, 01:27 AM

Actually keep finding new teachers got its advantage. Get u into the mood to learn new words and their style of writing are different then u can pickup from there....:D

jackbl
14-09-2011, 01:43 AM
"me cho roi" means "say it out straight and loud"

Is it a slang or dictionary word?

KangTuo
14-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Actually keep finding new teachers got its advantage. Get u into the mood to learn new words and their style of writing are different then u can pickup from there....:D

agree. but the frequency you change teacher is too fast. you seldom return to learn grom them.
i prefer to engage a teacher for 1-2 month then change. when i encounter good teacher, i may pay tuition fees in advance and have more indepth tuition.
in fact, i just paid some advance fee to my current teacher... i am taking a calculated risk to engage her for the next 3 weeks :confused:

lovesprout
14-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Is it a slang or dictionary word?

Of course, it is a slang, and it is kind of rude.

Ex. neu em muon di khach san voi anh me cho roi.

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 12:14 PM
my gal wants a handphone...

dien thoai cam ung samsung s5233. mau trang. mai ban di mua cho toi duoc khong, toi noi voi ban be rang ban trai toi se gui tang toi 1 chiec dien thoai neu co ay ve ma toi khong co ho se cuoi toi.

can't really understand the words in red although i check vdict liao...

pls help. thanks...

lovesprout
14-09-2011, 01:07 PM
my gal wants a handphone...

dien thoai cam ung samsung s5233. mau trang. mai ban di mua cho toi duoc khong, toi noi voi ban be rang ban trai toi se gui tang toi 1 chiec dien thoai neu co ay ve ma toi khong co ho se cuoi toi.

can't really understand the words in red although i check vdict liao...

pls help. thanks...

cam ung = means "touch screen" here
mai = tomorrow
ma = but
ho = they

First time I see VB give bf a specific model and a deadline. She even tell you the consequence if you don't do it. Fortunately, I checked the model it is not too expensive.

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 01:32 PM
First time I see VB give bf a specific model and a deadline. She even tell you the consequence if you don't do it. Fortunately, I checked the model it is not too expensive.

thanks bro. yea i think new one it's abt 100+ only. she ask me to buy second hand one.

deadline bcuz her fren is going back to vn in a few days time so hv to buy soon to pass it to her. at first she say she wan iphone but then she say she dun wan roi. she say she wan one can listen to mp3 can alrdy.

abt the consequence, her story is she got a rival always compete and compare with her. she say is a woman-woman thing.

end up i become the solution knn... i become carrot head...

lovesprout
14-09-2011, 02:09 PM
abt the consequence, her story is she got a rival always compete and compare with her. she say is a woman-woman thing.

Ya lo. So you can also tell her that you already told your buddies that your VB will lam tinh with you 3 times at 3 different styles. If she doesn't lam tinh 3 times with you before tomorrow, your buddies will laugh at you. This is man-man thing and I think she will understand. :cool:

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Ya lo. So you can also tell her that you already told your buddies that your VB will lam tinh with you 3 times at 3 different styles. If she doesn't lam tinh 3 times with you before tomorrow, your buddies will laugh at you. This is man-man thing and I think she will understand. :cool:

shes in vn now la... how i wish i can lam tinh 10x times at 10 different karma sutra position with her. nvm... gv within my means and see how it goes...

Honey Boon
14-09-2011, 03:44 PM
ya... no pain no gain.... no money no honey :D

shes in vn now la... how i wish i can lam tinh 10x times at 10 different karma sutra position with her. nvm... gv within my means and see how it goes...

KangTuo
14-09-2011, 04:38 PM

you need to brainwash her on competing with friends around her, else your pocket sure tear... backside also tear :)

volcano
14-09-2011, 08:50 PM
hopes it not too late to translate...

cho lam em om som wa. a kg dc nghe j het.
your work place very noisy/loud. i cannot hear a thing

isn't it "cho em lam"....:confused:

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 08:52 PM
you need to brainwash her on competing with friends around her, else your pocket sure tear... backside also tear :)

thanks bro KT for the advice. i have already tried to tell her... if that girl wan to laugh at her then let her laugh la... she sure one day kana laughed back by ppl with her attitude like this...

my gal say when she saw my gal bought a 2-3k motorbike, the rival purposely go and buy 3k+ honda bike and tell ppl my gal's bike not good. my gal cannot tahan that...

last time when the rival wan to come to sgp, she told my gal her BF will gv her money and air tix but then end up the bf scold her and say if she wan to talk abt asking for money then no need talk... my gal laugh back at her bcuz i gv my gal $300 the day b4 her first attempt to sneak in.

yea i really need to brainwash her on this... if not one day i will get sucked dry, probably not bcuz my gal wan to cheat me in short term but expect me to be her long long long term support or a foregin OX who can keep giving...

i think one day i must scold her and say if she wan money then dun need to talk

volcano
14-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone kind enuff to help me translate this sentence

Thanks in advance.

oh shit....which unfortunate VB's heart has been stolen by u....:p:)

volcano
14-09-2011, 09:05 PM

hi bro...really paiseh if i might seems too straight.

why shld u give in,when u already knows that u r being treated as a carrot head???

wat is call woman-woman thing???

my wife is using my very very old Nokia N81 handphone...:eek:

and she never complains abt anything...:)

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 09:08 PM

bro volcano, i think the VB is fortunate because she has her fair share of wonderful moment. imagine u bring them out, ferry them around sin, let them c sentosa/marina bay so dep, good and sweet sweet time on the bed with a bf... they feel very hanh phuc roi...

ilovedoggie
14-09-2011, 09:11 PM
hi bro...really paiseh if i might seems too straight.

why shld u give in,when u already knows that u r being treated as a carrot head???

wat is call woman-woman thing???

my wife is using my very very old Nokia N81 handphone...:eek:

and she never complains abt anything...:)

bro volcano, it's ok, please be as straight forward to me as u can.

in some way, i still think i am not being treated as a total carrot head.

one reason is also her handphone is really bi hong roi... very bad reception and whenever we talk there's disruption, at first i thought she act one bcuz on my side it sounds ok but on her side it doesnt sound ok.

but somehow later my side also got problem. unless she purposely do something la... but i think it's a bit too much of an effort already...

and she only ask for a samsung s5233 which is an old model launched quite some time ago? one or two years liao?

that's what i have analyzing... hope that i am right.

madmaster
14-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Taikor..isn't it quite obvious she's trying to steal my vulnerable heart. :confused:

volcano
15-09-2011, 12:31 AM
bro volcano, i think the VB is fortunate because she has her fair share of wonderful moment. imagine u bring them out, ferry them around sin, let them c sentosa/marina bay so dep, good and sweet sweet time on the bed with a bf... they feel very hanh phuc roi...

dun u know that i am "poking" at bro madmaster....:rolleyes:

btw...lets stop the TCSS here...this is not the thread for TCSS.

a big paiseh to TS.

ilovedoggie
15-09-2011, 10:39 AM
dun u know that i am "poking" at bro madmaster....:rolleyes:

btw...lets stop the TCSS here...this is not the thread for TCSS.

a big paiseh to TS.

yea but i wan to protect him being poked by u mah :P hahha
okok dun tcss here...

Honey Boon
15-09-2011, 04:08 PM
蓝比蓝,气死蓝。。。。 :d

you need to brainwash her on competing with friends around her, else your pocket sure tear... Backside also tear :)

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 12:25 AM
ya... no pain no gain.... no money no honey :D

no money still can get honey but need to SHARE honey with many people

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 12:27 AM
蓝比蓝,气死蓝。。。。 :d

please translate it to TV... i don't know what it means in chinese :o

jackbl
16-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Vietnamese keep flocking to Cambodia for gambling
================================================== ======

VietNamNet Bridge – Not very far from a rice field which is in the harvest time, the Arun Bopea casino appears outstandingly. Behind its door, more than 200 gamblers, most of Vietnamese, are shouting around a cock-fighting ground.

At the Vietnam-Cambodia border in the southern province of Dong Thap, many motorbikes with Cambodian registration numbers carry pigs from Cambodia’s Preyveng province to Hong Ngu district, Dong Thap province. Many motorbikes even do not have registration numbers and drivers do not wear helmets.

Seeing a group of people, a motorbike taxi arrives at the Dinh Ba border gate asked: “Are you locals? If you are Dong Thap’s citizens, you only need to show your ID cards to cross the border gate; otherwise you will have to show your passports.”

Some of visitors did not take passports with them, the motorbike taxi driver said that he could take these people cross the border gate, with VND100,000 ($4.5) of charges/person. The visitors agreed.

At the border gate, this man only talked several words to the guards to take people without passports cross the gate. Similarly, he only said hello to Cambodia guards at the Bontia Chaccray border gate of Preyveng province.

The Arun Bopea is being built amid a rice field. The construction nearly finished, proving to be a big one in the future. Near Arun Bopea is an old casino. Though it was not the weekend, this casino was fully occupied with over 200 gambles, who are shouting around the cock-fighting ground. Most of them are Vietnamese.

At the same time, hundreds of people were surrounding gambling desks. All gamblers sweated heavily. Body odor was dense in the casino.

If the cock-fighting ground is for men only, over half of people at gambling desks were women of around 40 upwards. Most of them were Vietnamese.

At the casino’s parking lot, up to 80 percent of vehicles were from Vietnam. Kids who sold lottery-tickets of Vietnamese provinces like Ben Tre, Binh Duong, etc. were also Vietnamese.

Mrs. Ly, 57, from Tan Ho Co commune, Dong Thap province, said sadly that she was out of money. Ly and her husband catch fish in the morning and gamble in the afternoon. Ly said she hoped to earn some money from gambling but she almost lost. “I have to try to break even,” Ly said.

Mr. Bay, 57, said his home is near the Dinh Ba border gate. He is a hired farmer. “I cannot get rich from my job but I can get rich from gambling,” Bay said. But, he said he mainly lost.

Mr. Hay, 35, a Vietnamese motorbike taxi driver, said that since casinos appeared in Bontia Chaccray, his colleagues have been addicted to gambling. He witnessed the break of a neighboring family due to lose at gambling.

The Criminal Police Agency reports that around 3,000 Vietnamese go to Cambodia for gambling a day. The number rises to around 4,000 at the weekend. There are over 30 casinos and 14 cock fighting grounds along the Vietnam-Cambodia border, which mainly serve Vietnamese from HCM City, Binh Duong, Dong Nai, etc. In Vietnam, gambling is illegal.

According to police, many Vietnamese gamblers lost at gambling and borrowed money of loan-sharks, but they continued to lose and were confined. Their families had to go to Cambodia for ransom.

People sponge on casinos

Farmer Bay Tan in Tan Hong district, Dong Thap province, has also worked as a motorbike taxi driver for ten years, so he knows the border area like his palm. Since casinos opened in Cambodia, Bay Tan and his three sons and nephews live very well.

Bay Tan can easily earn VND500,000 ($25) to illegally carry a Vietnamese gambler to Cambodia. On average, he can earn up to $100 a day.

Many others also earn their living by this job. Whenever they see strange people, they immediately offer the service, which costs from VND500,000 to VND1 million/person.

At the Xa Xia border gate in Ha Tien town, Kien Giang province, motorbike taxi drivers are also very busy. The price is lower than in Dong Thap, with VND200,000 per person who are locals and VND400,000 per person who come from other provinces and do not have passports.

However, the highest number of people who earn their living by this job is at the Moc Bai border gate in Tay Ninh province, because over the border are a lot of casinos and cock fighting grounds in Bavet city. According to local police, there are around 150 motorbike taxi drivers who know the border very clearly so they easily dodge guards.

Other jobs include enticing people to gamble to earn commissions from casinos and loan sharking. Local authorities said that since 13 casinos opened in Cambodia, near Moc Bai border gate, there are around 70 Vietnamese gangs in Ben Cau district doing the above “jobs”.

The Criminal Police Agency has listed the leaders of these gangs. Police said these gangs often assign those who lost at gambling to travelling to southern provinces to entice people to go to Cambodia for gambling. Casinos often pay commission worth 0.2 percent of the total lost of gamblers. As a result, “brokers” become loan-sharks to earn more commissions.

In late August, Ho Hoang Anh, 19, from Tan Tru district, Long An province, were enticed by two young guys to go to a casino in Cambodia. Hoang Anh lost all of money. The two guys introduced Hoang Anh to a loan shark, who lent him $6,000. Hoang Anh continued to lose at gambling and he was confined. Four days later, his father had to borrow over VND120 million (over $6,000) to pay ransom for his son.

Mr. Nguyen in Chau Thanh district, Tien Giang province, has denounced three people – two men and one woman – who enticed him to a casino in Cambodia, forced him to gamble then confined him to ask for ransom of over $8,000.

Major General Vo Thanh Duc, director of Binh Duong Province Police Agency, said that recently six locals lost at gambling in Cambodia and borrowed from loan sharks. Loan sharks cut off their ears and fingers to send to their families to ask for ransom.

On August 22, a Vietnamese gambler was discovered dead near a casino in Svayrieng province, Cambodia.

PV

Honey Boon
16-09-2011, 11:35 AM
you can because you got something that we don't have :D

what is that something? I don't know, only the VBs know :p

no money still can get honey but need to SHARE honey with many people

Honey Boon
16-09-2011, 11:36 AM
my TV level is like pre nursery level, can't even finish couting 1 to 10 :eek::D

please translate it to TV... i don't know what it means in chinese :o

Seletar
16-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi bros, any bro can help me translate, thanks in advance.
L : Ban wa voi ai, Ban dau roi, Ban lam dc kg? Dang o dau vay
T: moi wa dc3 ngay rui, mat lon ah
L : Lam dc kg? Nho may ng wa
L: Thao ve hoi nao?
L: Toi muon wa wa, Ban munc ve hang nao vay ?

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi bros, any bro can help me translate, thanks in advance.
L : Ban wa voi ai, Ban dau roi, Ban lam dc kg? Dang o dau vay
T: moi wa dc3 ngay rui, mat lon ah
L : Lam dc kg? Nho may ng wa
L: Toi muon wa wa, Ban munc ve hang nao vay ?

you checking a sms of a vb?

L: you come with who, where are you, you work ok or not? where are you now?
T: just arrive 3 days already, mat lon ah
L: how is your work? how many pax arrive?
L: Thao just arrive
L: I want to go, you want me fly by which airline

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 04:21 PM
exchange some sms with a vb after talking on the phone about places vb work

vb: ox la quy, tu nhien bx cam thay so ox wa
kt: ox la quy vi di choi nhieu ma. j cung bit het. bx so cai j? kg noi xao voi ox la dc roi
vb: moi lan ox di karaoke thi phai co tien co cho gai. con bxthi ko lay dc tien cua ox. giong nhu bx la 1 con ngoc vay
kt: ox di choi it ngoi voi gai. tien dau co ma bo cho ng ta. bx muon ox bo cho bx ha? bx xem ox giong 1ng khach ha?
vb: ko noi nua, luc nao noi chuyen voi ox cung noi ko lai. ox nen di lam luat su hay hon ky su
kt: ox di hoc kg nhieu nen kg lam luat su dc
vb: vay thi ox lam nghe chui lon thue dc
kt: la cai j? kg hieu?
vb: "chui lon muon" co nghia la ngta thue ox di chui nhau voi ng khac, chac chan ox se win

what is that occupation highlighted?

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 04:49 PM
another sms with the vb about hair extension....
(She did tell me about doing hair extension before but i tell her that it is a waste of money)

vb: noi toc tieng anh viet sao?
kt: noi toc = hair extension
vb: roi tks ox... thang xxxxx no lam ve toc, bx se hoi no noi tocbn tien. neu no lay tien thi bx ko noi toc, neu ko lay tien thi bx se di noi toc haha
vb: troi, thang cho do xl ghe, lam ve toc ma ko co lam noi toc. Mat day ghe
kt: oh. con co nguoi ten bang "XL" ha?
vb: dan ong s'pore deu la xl ca ma
vb: bx cung bt ox nhu vay nhung ma yeu ox thi bx cung chap nhan bx la mot con ngoc. bx hieu ko?
kt: ox la viet kieu ma
vb: ox la viet gian ko phai la viet kieu

what is the translation for the highlighted?
ve toc = ???? hair

jackbl
16-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Without any clue and diacritical mark on the word, I guess Mat Lon=Chee Bye Face :D

jackbl
16-09-2011, 05:11 PM
L : Nho may ng wa

IMHO, I felt this sentence dun make sense. It could be
NHO MAY NH WA. maybe accidentally type g instead of h, since it's just beside.

Miss you alot.

jackbl
16-09-2011, 05:16 PM

I think this sentence means THAO WHEN GO BACK?

jackbl
16-09-2011, 05:33 PM
h
vtb: vay thi ox lam nghe chui lon thue dc
kTgttt: la cai j? kg hieu?
vb: "chui lon muon" co nghia la ngta thue ox di chui nhau voi ng khac, chac chan ox se win

Chui Lon thue= scolding rent.

Chui lon muon= scolding lent.

Both meaning same occupation. People rent/lease u to help people to scold others. Cos u talk very well :D

lovesprout
16-09-2011, 05:51 PM
IMHO, I felt this sentence dun make sense. It could be
NHO MAY NH WA. maybe accidentally type g instead of h, since it's just beside.

Miss you alot.

I think nho may ng wa is correct, because vietnamese like to write "nguoi" as "ng".

Nho may ng wa = miss several people a lot.

Seletar
16-09-2011, 06:33 PM
you checking a sms of a vb?

L: you come with who, where are you, you work ok or not? where are you now?
L: how is your work? how many pax arrive?
L: I want to go, you want me fly by which airline

Bro, Kang Tuo, I die already.... L is my gf, T is her friend, :mad:

Seletar
16-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Bro, Kang Tuo, what is mat lon ah ?

Hurricane88
16-09-2011, 06:36 PM

if you trust WL then pigs can climb trees...:p

Seletar
16-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Without any clue and diacritical mark on the word, I guess Mat Lon=Chee Bye Face :D

I think is chee bye face

Seletar
16-09-2011, 07:00 PM
if you trust WL then pigs can climb trees...:p

No more trust Bro,

volcano
16-09-2011, 07:06 PM
vb: ox la viet gian ko phai la viet kieu

what is the translation for the highlighted?

Viet gian means someone who is not a Viet Kieu but acts like one...:)

AdGuy
16-09-2011, 08:08 PM

How do you act like a viet kieu?

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 09:02 PM

just some sms between two vb... how come die?

KangTuo
16-09-2011, 09:14 PM

cam on cam on :)

Seletar
16-09-2011, 10:58 PM
just some sms between two vb... how come die?

she comes here to work WL but she sao me :mad:

jackbl
17-09-2011, 04:20 AM
I think nho may ng wa is correct, because vietnamese like to write "nguoi" as "ng".

Nho may ng wa = miss several people a lot.

You go and read the context of the whole conversation then you see whether "nho may ng wa" still valid ......

KangTuo
17-09-2011, 04:32 AM
You go and read the context of the whole conversation then you see whether "nho may ng wa" still valid ......

you really study very hard...
at this hour still sutying TV :eek:

i need to buck up liao :p

jackbl
17-09-2011, 11:38 AM
you really study very hard...
at this hour still sutying TV :eek:

i need to buck up liao :p

You so many BXs. Where got time to self-study TV??? U ask them to teach u can liao. Your personal Long Hair dictionary :D

sktan369
17-09-2011, 12:06 PM
How do you act like a viet kieu?

Bro, what the meaning for these sentence : "anh den massa em trong mo ne"

Thank You (cam on ban)

KangTuo
17-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Bro, what the meaning for these sentence : "anh den massa em trong mo ne"

Thank You (cam on ban)

you come massage me in my dreams

sktan369
17-09-2011, 12:13 PM
you come massage me in my dreams

Bro, cam on !!

KangTuo
17-09-2011, 12:14 PM
You so many BXs. Where got time to self-study TV??? U ask them to teach u can liao. Your personal Long Hair dictionary :D

you now now i am only concentrating on one vb here. where got many bx?
she is a good teacher. words that i don't know, she will sms me with the "dau" for me to check vdict. if she know the chinese character or english translation :eek:, she will tell/sms me.

jackbl
17-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Police determined to clamp down on drink driving, how about sgp???

Police checkpoints set up near bia hoi shops
================================================== =

VietNamNet Bridge – Traffic police in Ha Noi have set up check-points near bia hoi (fresh beer) venues to measure drivers' alcohol concentration as part of national traffic safety month.

Under current regulations, drunk drivers face a maximum fine of VND400,000 (US$20) for driving with an alcohol level of 0.25-0.4mg per litre of breath and a maximum fine of VND1 million ($50) for higher alcohol concentrations.

Maximum fines for drunk car drivers is VND1.4 million ($70) for alcohol levels of between 0.25-0.4mg per litre of breath and VND10 million ($500) for higher alcohol concentrations.

"What drivers need to do is just to blow in the breathalyser pipe and each driver will use a new pipe for personal hygiene," a traffic policeman on duty at Tang Bat Ho Street in Hoan Kiem District, told Viet Nam News yesterday, Sep 8.

"Their alcohol concentration can also be automatically measured when they start to speak near the breathalyser," said the policeman, who did not want his name published.

"The campaign is scheduled to last until the end of this month and a similar campaign is expected to be carried out in the coming months to clamp down on drink drivers," he said.

Beer lover Le Minh Thai told Viet Nam News that he was willing to be tested by the police and pay for the fine if he was over the limit.

"However, I don't think it's feasible for these campaigns to be carried out regularly as there are so many fresh beer venues across the city and a limited number of police," he said.

"The fine is strict enough but it's still easy for us to find ways to drink beer without being fined such as using taxis or motorbike taxis after drinking instead of our own vehicles, or finding a beer stall that isn't watched by traffic police," he stressed.

Local police punished nearly 300 people since early this month, with fines totalling nearly VND180 million ($9,000).

Traffic police reported that in the first six months of the year nearly 25,000 traffic violations have been related to alcohol, while the total figure for 2010 was 28,000.

Road safety is a growing concern for authorities as traffic accidents have killed and injured more than 12,000 people in the first seven months of the year.

Statistics from the health ministry reveal that around 1.5 billion litres of beer and 350 million litres of wine are consumed in Viet Nam each year.

VietNamNet/Viet Nam News

KangTuo
17-09-2011, 10:42 PM

the teacher tell me that viet gian means vietnamese go oversea stay for a period of time already then come back vietnam to stay again

jackbl
18-09-2011, 09:58 AM
When in vn, my phone also keep on receiving such SMS. Non stop SMS for advertisement. :mad: :mad:

Legal framework needed to block cell phone spam

Vietnam should have an effective legal framework to prevent unwanted text messages and help develop advertising on cell phones as a good tool for companies to promote their products and services to target consumers, advertising experts said.

The proposal was made by Do Kim Dung, vice president of the Vietnam Advertising Association, and Lai Kok Fung, chief executive officer and co-founder of mobile media firm BuzzCity, when they shared their views with the Daily on how to make use of new technology and innovations for efficient advertising.

Lai commented after he made a presentation at a business briefing organized by the Australian Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam (AusCham) in HCMC last week on digital branding and the mobile marketing opportunity in Vietnam.

Dung told the Daily on the phone on Monday that Vietnam’s current Advertising Ordinance and several relevant decrees did not include detailed regulations and guidance for advertising on mobile phones while more companies were annoying consumers with their junk messages and calls.

Dung complained he often received at least one unwanted advertising phone call a day though he had not provided his phone number for the company whose marketing staff called him to sell the company’s products.

Lai of BuzzCity said the beginning stage of mobile phone marketing was text messages and this trend had been seen in many markets, including those in the ASEAN region. However, governments have applied appropriate measures to ban the SMS spam.

Lai took Thailand as one of the typical examples when saying that one year ago, companies in that country were told to stop sending junk messages or they would be fined and that since then the situation had been improved.

Lai said companies were unable to send their SMS advertising messages to consumers without their consent because this might hurt their brands when customers felt that they were disturbed due to too much SMS spam they received a day.

Lai said in Malaysia, the Philippines and other regional countries, there were companies working with mobile carriers and collecting the cell phone users who agreed to receive SMS advertisements. In return, the user will be given a certain number of free calls and texts.

“So, mobile carriers should do that way and should not allow anybody to buy their big databases to send advertising messages,” Lai said. He suggested the Government should have regulations banning the SMS spam.

Dung of the VAA said the SMS spam would not be stopped in Vietnam for the time being given the absence of a law. He added a draft law on advertising governing this was only planned for submission and approval next year.

“There are a lot of things to do with junk messages in Vietnam,” Dung said, adding this problem might be solved by 2015, when the cell phone user had legal backing to sue the mobile carrier and those companies that annoyed them with the SMS spam.

Both Dung and Lai painted a bright future for advertising via modern channels like cell phones, the internet and digital devices though they agreed television and print media would still dominate the country’s advertising revenue.

The VAA put online advertising sales at VND480 billion (around US$23 million) out of the VND20 trillion (some US$960 million) for the whole sector last year. Dung forecast this sector would record a year-on-year revenue increase of around 15% this year and a rise of 20% for the online advertising segment.

SGT

ilovedoggie
18-09-2011, 12:15 PM
"anh den massa em trong mo ne"

good line!

you now now i am only concentrating on one vb here. where got many bx?
she is a good teacher. words that i don't know, she will sms me with the "dau" for me to check vdict. if she know the chinese character or english translation :eek:, she will tell/sms me.

the same thing i got from my no2 last time. she know i know limited TV so she make an effort to type it with the dau for me to check using my iphone. I learnt a lot of TV from her, i must admit.

good luck in your sparring bro KT :)

btw, what is "mat kieng"?

i review my gal's iphone back-up in my pc. her contact book records her customers' contacts by Pxxx(room number)mx(don't know what's this). and some of them come in description like tat(short), map(fat), de thuong(lovely), nho con(small size), mat kieng(face to avoid?)...

i'm recorded by name and no description for me :(

jackbl
18-09-2011, 12:40 PM
btw, what is "mat kieng"?

i review my gal's iphone back-up in my pc. her contact book records her customers' contacts by Pxxx(room number)mx(don't know what's this). and some of them come in description like tat(short), map(fat), de thuong(lovely), nho con(small size), mat kieng(face to avoid?)...

I suspect mat kieng=spectacles.

ilovedoggie
18-09-2011, 12:47 PM

correct!

vdicky say kieng can be frame.

so it makes sense. mat kieng = eye fram = spectacles :D

thanks bro!

btw a lot of her customers are described as map... hahaha...

KangTuo
18-09-2011, 02:00 PM

correct!

vdicky say kieng can be frame.

so it makes sense. mat kieng = eye fram = spectacles :D

how come i only find this "mắt kính"
in vn i see many spectacles shope also wrtie as đeo mắt kính

jackbl
18-09-2011, 02:26 PM

From my dickionary, kiếng is the local word for kính. So kiếng == kính

đeo mắt kính=wear spec

KangTuo
18-09-2011, 02:44 PM
a vb kana xao by her friends to go bugis but end up in casino. she was bored and wanted to gamble but i told her not to gamble as she had lost $300 last time. she listen to me and go shopping look see.

vb: bx di vong vong shopping. nhin do dep ma gia o tren icarus
kt: "icarus" la tieng nuoc nao?
vb: icarus la nhan vat huyen thoai cua hy lap, nguoi do lam 1 doi canh bang sap nen co the bay len troi, nen bx noi vay co nghia la gia cua no mac wa, gia tren troi, hieu chau ox cua tui
vb: bx choi game online MU nen bi nhiem wen noi icarus roi

the more she explain, the more deep it is... :eek:
any bro can help?

KangTuo
18-09-2011, 03:13 PM
good luck in your sparring bro KT

already hooked.... my few chiong buddy asked me to be careful as they see that she can be sticky and if i did anything wrong, she will "cat cu" me :eek:

lovesprout
18-09-2011, 03:22 PM
vb: icarus la nhan vat huyen thoai cua hy lap, nguoi do lam 1 doi canh bang sap nen co the bay len troi, nen bx noi vay co nghia la gia cua no mac wa, gia tren troi, hieu chau ox cua tui
vb: bx choi game online MU nen bi nhiem wen noi icarus roi

any bro can help?

Where did you hook up the VB who is so knowledgeable? She is talking about Greek myth.

nhan vat = character
huyen thoai = myth
hy lap = Greece
1 doi canh = a pair of wing
sap = wax
troi = sky
gia tren troi = price is above the sky
hieu chau = should be "hieu chua"
bi nhiem = 染上, stick to something

KangTuo
18-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Where did you hook up the VB who is so knowledgeable?

yes. i am very impress with her knowledege, command of languages, singing, working attitude and bed skill. :D she is one "monster" i subdued...
her xnn skill got alot of room for improvement... i will help polish her xnn skill :p

i hook her up in sillypore vn playground :p

volcano
18-09-2011, 06:57 PM

"mat kinh" is the correct word to use.

but usually people from the village will say "mat kieng"

"kieng" means glass.

ilovedoggie
18-09-2011, 07:19 PM

"kieng" means glass.

thanks. my gal is a village gal hehe...

ilovedoggie
18-09-2011, 10:52 PM
already hooked.... my few chiong buddy asked me to be careful as they see that she can be sticky and if i did anything wrong, she will "cat cu" me :eek:

remember the famous phrase?

you can do anything you like, just don't get caught ;)

Seletar
19-09-2011, 12:42 AM

"kieng" means glass.

sometimes I feel that tieng viet got a bit of Hakka dialect such as "kieng" in Hakka we also say is glass.

jackbl
19-09-2011, 02:59 AM
For Bro Doggie :D

Fake hi-tech products all the rage in Vietnam
================================================== =

VietNamNet Bridge – In general, no one likes using counterfeit products. However, Vietnamese young people nowadays tend to use fake mobile phones. This has made the fake mobile phone product most bustling than ever.

Nowadays, fake mobile phones, which bear the famous brands of iPhone, HTC and Black Berry are being displayed for sale everywhere. The products are advertised by distributors as “high quality fake products” instead of “genuine products”, because the “high quality fake products” also have high prices and they can sell very well.

The ad pieces about fake mobile product shops can be found on many websites: “We only have first-class fake phones, using memory chips, not memory cards like second-class products”; “Here are first-class fake products at shockingly low prices”; or “We offer best fake products at lowest prices”.

The ad pieces all try to prove two things: their products are most similar to the real products and the products have reasonable prices. The fake mobile phones are really similar to genuine products in all terms of size, weight to design. Regarding the origins of the fake products, some distributors say they come from Hong Kong, while others say they are made in Singapore. However, people think that they are all from China.

A fake iPhone 4 can be bought at just 1-2.5 million dong, while other mobile phone versions are priced at between hundreds of thousands of dong to less than 2 million dong. The most expensive products are selling at 3-4 million dong at maximum.

Distributors now can live well with the sale of fake products, because they understand the Vietnamese youth well. The young people like using the products with well-known brands, but they cannot afford the sky high prices set for genuine products.

Therefore, they decide to use fake products which have similar designs and functions as the genuine products, but have the quite different prices. Especially, distributors also provide post-sale maintenance services in order to reassure the young consumers.

Using fake products and …trembling with fear

Pham Van Manh, a worker of a freight forwarding company in district 3 in HCM City, said that he once “tasted the bitterness” when using a fake iPhone 3G which he purchased at two million dong.

Manh said that he was once so proud of the fake mobile phone which was so beautiful. However, the battery got broken down just one month of using. He spent time bringing the battery to the shop during the warranty time, but he was told that it was his mistake of wrongly following the charging procedure.

Hanh got a lot of troubles with the iPhone, when the phone suddenly turned off when battery ran out just after two hours of using. “With two million dong, I could have purchased a genuine product. You would rather use a good product, even though it is not beautiful, than using a low quality product,” he said.

“When you use counterfeit products, you always feel worried, because you cannot anticipate when the products get broken down,” he added.

Another young consumer, who once used a “copied” mobile phone, said that he was told that the mobile phone has Wi-Fi network, but in fact, it was unable to access Internet, while the camera only created bad pictures. And the biggest problem of the mobile phone was that it did not have any operation system.

“It’s ridiculous that a smart mobile phone does not have operation system,” he said.

Fake products still favored

The owner of the mobile shop on Lac Long Quan Street in HCM City said that he sells 10-20 copied mobile phones a day.

He went on to say that the demand is high, because young customers nowadays tend to like hi-tech products and refuse other normal products. Some of them want to show people and colleagues that they use luxurious products. This explains why even counterfeit goods can be sold at millions of dong.

Source: SGTT

KangTuo
19-09-2011, 03:11 AM
i review my gal's iphone back-up in my pc.

how you do it? use what application to view the datafile? :confused:

ilovedoggie
19-09-2011, 10:00 AM
how you do it? use what application to view the datafile? :confused:

once she plug in to my pc, itunes will automatically back up everything.

so i use http://www.iphone-sms.com/addressbook/ to view her msg and contacts.

but nothing much useful i got from the back up. cannot find anything too suspicious. even she told me she got a bf but i cannot find from the sms which one is her bf. a lot is xnn sms. and she dun usually use anh/em. i realise that...

Honey Boon
19-09-2011, 11:24 AM
got quite a bit of Cantonese too ;)

sometimes I feel that tieng viet got a bit of Hakka dialect such as "kieng" in Hakka we also say is glass.

Honey Boon
19-09-2011, 11:27 AM
smart vb will delete all messages after READ/SENT ...

not so sure about iphone users... those even smarter vb will clear even the deleted items or thrash box :eek:

once she plug in to my pc, itunes will automatically back up everything.

so i use http://www.iphone-sms.com/addressbook/ to view her msg and contacts.

but nothing much useful i got from the back up. cannot find anything too suspicious. even she told me she got a bf but i cannot find from the sms which one is her bf. a lot is xnn sms. and she dun usually use anh/em. i realise that...

ilovedoggie
19-09-2011, 12:05 PM
got quite a bit of Cantonese too ;)

yes totally agreed! its like mix of hakka and cantonese. i'm cantonese hakka. i can hear many similar words like chinh phu, hanh phuc, ngan hang, khach, khach san, tien etc...

smart vb will delete all messages after READ/SENT ...

not so sure about iphone users... those even smarter vb will clear even the deleted items or thrash box :eek:

heng my gal dunno such thing... hehe... next time will ask her to come do more of such thing haha... best if can load spying software to her phone then u know what they r doing... got gps tracker even better

jackbl
19-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Tuoi Tre talks sex to young readers
===========================================
Tuoi Tre newspaper hosted a consultation session on sex and abstinence for young university and high school students Friday at its Ho Chi Minh City office.

Chaired by sexual health specialist Le Thuy Tuoi, the event, named “How to say no to sweet talks” drew some dozens of Tuoi Tre’s young readers to discuss how to abstain from sex and other sex and relationship topics.

A veteran expert who has for years worked in reproductive health in Vietnam, Doctor Tuoi said abstinence was a suitable attitude towards sex for Vietnamese youth, especially in the context of a closed and traditional society like Vietnam’s.

The country’s culture remains skeptical toward sex before marriage and female virginity is still a concept deep-rooted in the Vietnamese psyche.

Still a taboo subject in modern Vietnam, sex education has not been incorporated into its education system, thus “many young people, especially girls have very limited knowledge of sexual and reproductive health”, Dr. Tuoi said.

Most of them, especially young girls remain vulnerable to unprotected sex which leads to unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease and illegal abortion.

She cited Vietnam being ranked among the top 3 countries having the highest rate of abortion in the world as an example.

“These young girls always have to bear the most damaging social, physical and psychological consequences from these”, the doctor warned.

Parenting plays a big role, as most Vietnamese parents don’t get trust from their children, who rarely seek help or advice on sex and relationship from their family, or only do so when it is too late, she said.

Ms. Tra, a small business owner who came with her daughter agreed and told Tuoitrenews “I brought her here so that she can know all these useful information that I can’t not tell her.”

Touching upon male psychology, the session also discussed male-dominant marriage relationships where women will be at a disadvantage if they have pre-marital sex.

The session is more of a discussion on how to overcome sexual desire before marriage than a direct and upfront sharing of how to have safe sex.

After all, it is apparently not practical to compress such a broad topic into a 2-hour talk.

However, the doctor’s humor and friendliness helped these students who were at times too shy to speak out their own concerns.

“When your boyfriend comes when there is nobody at home, and he asks for sex while you are not ready for it, or don’t want it, how would you react and protect yourself?” is one of the scenarios that Dr. Tuoi had for her young audience.

At the end of the session, Nguyen Phuoc Hong An, a freshman at Hong Bang university (Ho Chi Minh) said she now knew how to say no to such a circumstance and that she had the right and responsibility to her own body and feelings.

jackbl
20-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Criminals become younger, more brutal in Vietnam
A teenage boy who had dropped out of school after ninth grade killed three people and chopped off the hand of another to steal some gold in the northern province Bac Giang last month.

The horrific murders and robbery shocked the nation.

The suspect Le Van Luyen is not even 18 yet and admitted his crime to police in detainment.

In May last year Nguyen Duc Nghia, 26, killed his ex-girlfriend after making love to her to steal her motorbike and other assets.

He then mutilated her face and finger tips in the hope of deceiving investigators.

Serious crimes including murders are not a new phenomenon in Vietnam and have been happening for long. But what is changing – and at an alarming rate, according to the police – is the profile of murderers.

Nguyen Minh Duc, deputy director of the Ministry of Public Security’s Center for Criminology and Crime Prevention, tells Tuoi Tre the average age of the criminals has decreasing rapidly.

Last decade most murderers were aged 30-45, but now 41 percent of all homicides are committed by people aged 18 to 30, a survey by the center of 4,000 killers between 1997 and 2010 found.

People in the 30-45 age group now account for only 34 percent of murders.

According to Cong An Nhan Dan (Police) magazine, there were 1,180 murders in 2009 and 1,339 last year.

In the past homicides were mostly the results of long-festering conflicts. Now people kill each other in bursts of rage, crimes of passion, Duc says.

Spine-chilling murder cases

HTT from the southern Dong Nai Province is a prisoner aged just around 20 in Thu Duc Prison in the central province of Binh Thuan.

She recalls her murder of her close friend: “I grabbed a knife and just wanted to kill her to satisfy my rage. I was not thinking of anything else.

“I was furious after coming to know that she stole my boyfriend and spoke ill of me to my friends.

“I stabbed her dozens of times till she passed out and died. I thought then she deserved such a death and calmly erased traces of the crime.

“Now I feel repentant but see many challenges in returning to normal life. I got 18 years in prison and have been here for three years.

“I only felt horror at my behavior a year after coming here.”

NTP of Ho Chi Minh City was jailed for 18 years for the murder of her close friend and robbery.

“I enjoyed going to the discotheque every night. One day my parents refused to give me money and so I thought of robbing my close friend of whom I was also jealous because she was better at studies.

“I went to her house, stabbed her, and stole her motorbike to get money to go dancing.

“Now I know that was wrong and I… have to pay the penalty for it,” she says with tears rolling down her cheeks.

HTN, 25, a prisoner in Dong Nai, says he feels great regret for his crimes of rape, murder, and robbery.

“I could not understand why I raped an 11-year-old girl near my house.”

HTN says he dropped out of school early and joined friends in his neighborhood to watch sex films and became obsessed with it. He has spent eight years out of a sentence of 18 years in jail.

“I loathe myself,” he says.

RJ2004
20-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Came across new promotion at Jazzy started yesterday...

$15 per jug of beer between 4-8pm, good deal for early drinkers...

MrVinegar
20-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Came across new promotion at Jazzy started yesterday...

$15 per jug of beer between 4-8pm, good deal for early drinkers...

not a good deal if bro want to hug viet gals early :)

jackbl
21-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Nude bath with ‘ecological’ girls on island beach
The nouveau riche, especially in the Mekong Delta, prefers ‘nouveau’ forms of entertainment befitting their newly-acquired status, such as taking a nude bath on a desert beach with local call girls whom they call ‘ecological girls’ or ‘clean vegetables.’

These are mostly young, good-looking women who are so defined to differentiate them from professional prostitutes – “polluted” females considered unsafe for men on the lookout for pleasures. These girls may have a steady job or are unemployed, single or married, but all are willing to accompany rich men during their fun-seeking trips for a handsome payment.

The temptation of earning big money for a day of fun and entertainment with rich men have turned many local girls away from conceptions of ‘virtuous’ women in this conservative Vietnam. Though not prostitutes, they agree to engage in drinking, singing and nude bath and other entertainment at night in return for VND1 million (US$50) -- more than half of their monthly factory salary.

Going into hotels with the men is not unthinkable for these girls mainly in the age group of 16-22, who measure their self-worth in money.

Nude bath on the beach

In the early morning on September 3, a real estate tycoon in Can Tho City, Le Nam, and his friends made a 500km journey towards Phu Quoc Island of Kien Giang Province to seek ‘ecological girls’ to be his drinking and bathing companions on the beach.

On the 30km road from Phu Quoc Airport to Bai Sao beach of Phu Quoc Island, a taxi driver named Thanh mentioned ‘nude bath’ after exchanging brief greetings with his passengers.

“I know many pretty girls who are ‘clean vegetables’ here. They are all good-looking and well-behaved. You pay them each from 500,000 dongs to a million depending on their physical looks,” he made a tentative sales pitch and checked in the rear mirror to see if the passengers had taken the bait.

“It’s terrific to have some ‘fairies’ to drink and take a nude bath with you on these romantic, virgin beaches here,” he tempted his guests further.

“You wouldn’t want to miss out on the local specialty for an exciting experience,” he added, feeling sure of getting some tips for his middle-man service.

Arriving at Bai Sao beach, Nam hired a small cruise ship for VND3.5 million ($170) to cruise towards the other small islet An Thoi -- about an hour ride from Bai Sao.

Three ‘ecological girls’ appeared and introduced themselves as Thuy, Diem and Lan. They got on board the ship and quickly fell in line with the men. Two of them said they worked as waitresses at a local restaurant while the third one said she was a seafood processing worker.

They all knew how to hold their liquor and keep the men in good spirit.

After some beer on the dock, Nam pulled the girl sitting on his thigh closer and whispered something into her ears, to which she only smiled shyly and looked down.

Their destination was Gieng Tien (Fairy Well) beach where there is a unique well providing fresh and clean water on An Thoi islet.

They split into pairs and went behind some large rocks half emerged from the water to take off all clothes. A moment later each pair appeared, hand in hand, rushing into the water and beginning to bathe, the water rising to their chests.

The men and women played games, splashed water on each other and burst into laughter.

An assistant chef on the ship named Tuong said knowingly, “That’s nude bath. Dozens groups of rich men from Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho, Rach Gia and Ca Mau come here every week for that.”

“Some even hired my ship to travel around the Phu Quoc Island for 3-4 days with young girls. It’s completely private,” he said.

The group of girls and men remained in the water until a sudden rain poured down and they returned to the ship for one more drinking bout. The girls sat at the table with the men in their wet clothes that exposed all their underwear.

They raised their glasses and bottomed up until late afternoon.

The taxi that took them back to the hotel stopped at a jewels’ shop on the way. Each of the three girls went in and later emerged with a gift package in their hands. Lan took out a pair of ear-rings and a pearl necklace worth around VND1.5 million ($73).

“It’s worthwhile for a whole day of being submerged in the cold water,” Lan said loudly.

Just a phone call

The taxi driver Thanh boasted he has the contacts of 30 ‘ecological girls,’ especially two 19-year-old students at a college in the mainland Rach Gia.

“It costs US$100 to have each of them. They look like fashion models,” Thanh assured his guests.

He also revealed that visitors can also contact owners or staffs of any cruise ship to order the girls of any standards and pay them some tips.

Thanh even called a man he said was the owner of a ship and passed the phone to his passengers. A man’s voice on the other end of the line spoke explicitly, “I can send you the girls on Phu Quoc Island or the girls on other smaller islets such as An Thoi or Hon Thom. They are all young with sun-burnt skin and long legs. They can swim well and will go all out for you. If you agree, give me 200,000 dongs as tips.”

Taxi motorbike riders or some restaurant staff or owners on Phu Quoc are also one of the links in the supply chain catering to the rich men looking for ‘ecological girls.’

Honey Boon
21-09-2011, 11:35 AM
can just order two jugs before 8 pm and drink slowly and wait for vb :p

not a good deal if bro want to hug viet gals early :)

Hurricane88
21-09-2011, 12:46 PM
recently a vb wrote to me...

em di lam toi 12g em ban da banh

was discussing with some viets and bro deptrai4u...we were unsure what is the translation for

em ban da banh

anyone can translate...:confused:

KangTuo
21-09-2011, 02:43 PM
em ban da banh

you know what she work as? bookie? :p

my guess:
ban = busy
da banh = soccer

Hurricane88
21-09-2011, 04:56 PM
you know what she work as? bookie? :p

my guess:
ban = busy
da banh = soccer

haha...thought so too...but incorrect...:)

KangTuo
21-09-2011, 05:07 PM
em ban da banh

haha...thought so too...but incorrect...:)

try guess again...

ban = sell
da banh = ice/rock bread

hcmc got such bread/cookies? :confused:

Hurricane88
21-09-2011, 05:30 PM
ban = sell
da banh = ice/rock bread

hcmc got such bread/cookies? :confused:

think is incorrect...:p

KangTuo
21-09-2011, 05:49 PM

3rd try.... give up :p
i go xnn vb better.... ;)

jackbl
22-09-2011, 01:21 AM

Do you know the answer?

KangTuo
22-09-2011, 05:54 PM
a vb sms me telling me her mother sick need $500 to buy medicine.

"me e bi buou gan tim"

buou = swell?
gan = liver
Don't understand why the "tim" is behind the sentence.

what actual sickness is this? medicine for such sickness need so much money in vn meh? I can think only of "no money sickness" :)

carmeo88
22-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Near heart-gan Tim

KangTuo
22-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Near heart-gan Tim

cam on... you are correct
i keep think gan = liver

so buou gan tim = hump/bump/swell near gan caused by lack of money to send :)

vietboy
23-09-2011, 12:04 AM
recently a vb wrote to me...

em di lam toi 12g em ban da banh

was discussing with some viets and bro deptrai4u...we were unsure what is the translation for

em ban da banh

maybe she meant busy with customer?

jackbl
23-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Nude bath with ‘ecological’ girls on island beach

Delta nouveau riche splurge on drinking, women
Drinking with pretty escorts on boats or in secluded sections in fancy restaurants has become a new trend among the nouveau riche in the Mekong Delta.

With the increasing economic integration, smart farmers in this area have learnt to start businesses to export aquatic produce.

Others may own large ponds where they farm shrimp or tra catfish.

The escorts themselves, mostly young, good-looking women, are not prostitutes but, in this conservative country where casual relationships and flings are frowned upon, neither are they considered “virtuous.”

They inhabit a world somewhere in between the two and apparently go this to get some easy money. They are often workers at local factories, some single and others married but whose husbands do not know about their “jobs.”

For spending a night drinking and singing with rich men, one could get around a million dong, or 50 US dollars, which is more than half a factory worker’s monthly salary.

Some do end up in hotel rooms for bigger sums.

On National Day on September 2 a rich Can Tho City exporter named Giang invited some of his close friends to go on two motorboats to Tan Loc Island for drinking.

“I know the restaurant there; it is private and romantic thanks to fruit orchard,” he assures his friends.

They moor at a restaurant on the island where a table is laid out with food. Some waitresses nicknamed “country flowers” surround the table.

They are invited to sit between the men. Introductions are made quickly and the temperature rises in direct proportion to the beer consumed.

After they all drink half a dozen cans of Heineken, the men get on the boats to cross the Hau River into Dong Thap Province, and the girls agree to go with.

Their new venue is an aquatic produce processing company belonging to a friend. The group sits around a table in a large garden with many ornamental trees each worth hundreds of millions of dong. The table is beneath a wooden-made dome from the central region, formerly used by kings.

It probably costs several billion dong (a billion dong equals US$48,800).

“What a day with drinks and entertainment and nice girls,” one of the men says loudly.

After an hour there, the group and the new friend speed in their boats to Long Xuyen, a town on the Hau River.

There they separate into pairs and go to hotel rooms.

Hired cars and drivers await them outside to take them home.

Drinking in forests under mosquito nets

While some rich men prefer drinking with girls in restaurants and private villas or on boats, others choose to go deep into the forests and sit around a table under a mùng trâu (a big mosquito net meant for buffalos) with girls.

A rich man in Ca Mau recruits young women to entertain his friends and customers at parties he throws in Vo Doi forest in the province. They are all workers in his factories or students.

In the world of the parvenu, it appears everything is a commodity that can be bought, morals and ethics be damned.

A girl named Tran Thi Loan, 21, in Bac Lieu, admitted, “I go with the men 3-4 nights a week and get VND700,000 or a million once. I sleep at day time and go out at night.”

“Men pass my contact to their friends and so I always have clients.

“Is it good or bad? It’s all up to me. No one can force me anything. But it’s joyful to eat and drink and sing and get good money,” she added.

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Yesterday after sending a vb to her work place, I recieve a sms

vb: ox ve toi nha chua hay con lang bang o dau?
kt: ox ve toi nha roi, bx muon nt "lang bang" hay lang vang"? Ox len mang coi tu dien chi co "lang vang = loiter"
vb: lang bang co nghia la ox di lung lang tang do ma
vb: lung tung lang tang, lang vang co nghia la giong nhu di an trom.

the more she explain "lang vang" and "lang bang", the more blur i become.
any bro know the translation highlighted in red?

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 10:12 AM
yesterday after i reach home, I recieve sms from a vb

vb: bx nho ox
kt: bx nho ox, bg ox o nha roi. ox phai lam sao?
vb: bx muon gap ox
kt: bx muon gap ox, ox phai lam sao? bx noi di.
vb: ko chiu dau huhuhuhuhuhuhu, nha ox sap thanh song roi
vb: bg ox co di bui voi bx ko? di thi bx ve nha thay do di bui voi ox.
kt: di bui la ngu o ngoai duong ha?
vb: di bui la ngu o ks den sang
kt: ox ngay mai con di lam, kg dc ngu den sang
vb: nghi 1ngay di, lam cho lam tam cung o troung hehehehe

learned a new slang, "di bui (b-we)" is something like running away from home to stay anyway outside for days/months.

jackbl
23-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Yesterday after sending a vb to her work place, I recieve a sms

vb: ox ve toi nha chua hay con lang bang o dau?
kt: ox ve toi nha roi, bx muon nt "lang bang" hay lang vang"? Ox len mang coi tu dien chi co "lang vang = loiter"
vb: lang bang co nghia la ox di lung lang tang do ma
vb: lung tung lang tang, lang vang co nghia la giong nhu di an trom.

the more she explain "lang vang" and "lang bang", the more blur i become.

maybe she want to say LANG THANG= to wander, to roam.

ăn trộm = to steal, to burgle

jackbl
23-09-2011, 10:34 AM
learned a new slang, "di bui (b-we)" is something like running away from home to stay anyway outside for days/months.

Can ask her whether it is di bui or di buổi ?

drekman
23-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Kangtuo, dunt be cheated by woman. They just want to cheat your money.

sexlegend
23-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Can any good shifu here help to decipher the below message. Tenkiu in advance.

"da ko anh hen e di bua sau e len mang nc voi anh"

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Can ask her whether it is di bui or di buổi ?

you are correct as in "buoi" but i dunno about the sign thingy :)

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Kangtuo, dunt be cheated by woman. They just want to cheat your money.

how much can they cheat? :D

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 02:38 PM

I guess:

da ko anh = yes, no anh (addressing you)
hen e di = lucky i go or set a date i go
bua sau e len mang noi chuyen voi anh = another day i online talk to you

:)

sexlegend
23-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi KT. Thank you so much for the help.

I guess:

:)

jackbl
23-09-2011, 03:21 PM
you are correct as in "buoi" but i dunno about the sign thingy :)

Buoi = a period of time :) ST, LT, etc :D

jackbl
23-09-2011, 03:22 PM
how much can they cheat? :D

The amount is very big.... When they get ur heart, the amount is not an issue liao :D

KangTuo
23-09-2011, 04:32 PM
The amount is very big.... When they get ur heart, the amount is not an issue liao :D

big amount will awaken my heart and strenghten my leg to run :p

SureScore
23-09-2011, 05:13 PM

What an answer? You are guessing or you asked a Viet to translate.

Hurricane88
23-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Do you know the answer?

I knew the answer.

nice try but wrong...:p

BTW, she is not a WL...:p

What an answer? You are guessing or you asked a Viet to translate.

obviously guessing...:p

jackbl
24-09-2011, 04:21 AM
I knew the answer.

Can u enlighten us? Thanks

jackbl
24-09-2011, 04:27 AM

My guess:
Da=polite reply to someone elder than ourself
Ko anh=not anh(addressing you)
hen e di bua sau = date with me another day
e len mang nc voi anh = I go online talk to you

creeve
24-09-2011, 07:37 AM
My guess:
Da=polite reply to someone elder than ourself

Da can also mean already

although I can translate the rest of the message. Have been spending too much time in Indo Land now I know more Bahasa Indonesia than the Tieng Viet that I learnt over 2 years.

Hurricane88
24-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Can u enlighten us? Thanks

you got so many long hair or co giao...why dun you ask them before we share the answer...just want to see how they trasnlate...:p

MiniHawk
24-09-2011, 11:09 AM
The gal from Mekong.?

jackbl
24-09-2011, 02:45 PM
The Crime of Technology
=====================================

In this day and age of instant gratification it is no wonder why teens are committing acts of aggression and immorality. Many blame drug addiction, unemployment and relationship problems as the sources for the violence in today’s youth. Even most experts agree that education is the key to preventing today’s youth in Vietnam from making poor decisions, leading them down a road of stillborn success.

However, I truly doubt a cultural conflict lies at the bottom of any explanation for these heinous crimes; the West does not condone such illegal activities any more than the East does. Instead, a lack of guidance and instruction from the family and community at an early age is likely the primary cause for the disarray in a teen’s life.

Le Van Luyen, an 18-year-old who confessed to several grisly murders, dropped out of school at the ninth grade. The question comes to mind: Where was this boy’s family? His mother and father are as much to blame, in my mind, as an immature, uneducated and underdeveloped teen; all are responsible for such actions, and we should accept our blame accordingly. In this case, Luyen, a teen in the custody of his parents, was allowed to drop school (certainly a bad choice) and take to the streets with other friends who also likely played truant, providing them time to seek out their own carnal desires rather than mature through the “fires of instruction.” Had he a solid support structure at home and at school, Luyen would not have been allowed to simply quit school and eventually become a thief and murderer, ruining his life.

Another criminal, HTN, who raped an eleven-year-old girl, confessed he had dropped out of school (not a coincidence) and spent his free time watching pornography. Again, this is another example of how an individual who is developing in both body and mind made a poor decision which led to an even bigger atrocity. It is something to consider: What if HTN had had a close-knit family to support him and encourage him that school was the better option than quitting? One must also consider what kind of role models were present (if any at all) in HTN’s life.

Nevertheless, a lack of proper parenting and a lack of role models in a society where cheating is considered standard, where morality is shoved aside in order to gain wealth by any means necessary is not the only blame. Might I suggest another explanation: excess of technology?

A young individual’s mind is still developing until the age of 21 and does not reach full maturity until shortly in the mid-twenties. In addition, the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain house the moral instincts of a person: the ability to choose right and wrong; furthermore, in these parts of the mind, encompasses the abilities to learn language, impulse control, and social and sexual behavior. Scientific studies have uncovered some traces of damage to the frontal and temporal lobes when technology is abused, especially at a young age. For instance, a young teen spends hours in front of the television or playing video games. When the developing mind is retarded, so are the moral instincts and the other factors which control behavior. Most scientists still agree that the utilization of cell phones, televisions, video games and the internet is still too new to fully understand the dramatic consequences on the human brain. Much the way scientists first supported DDT, a poisonous insecticide which killed not only animals but infected carcinogens into the human food supply. The inventor of DDT also won the Nobel Peace Prize; this shows us that Science often does not have the answers until it is far too late. In history, we often embrace what we fully do not understand and the consequences are often severe.

I always tell my students and my family that great big consequences come from very small choices and decisions. Ultimately the blame and accountability of any illegal or immoral act falls on the person who chooses selfish desires rather than self-control; however, as parents and a community, we should educate ourselves in how we can improve what we do to spot another person in need and help them, rather than simply looking the other way and allowing another person to ruin their lives: either by dropping out of school or by spending too much time in front of the computer. At some point, the obligation of education and morality (desiring to do the right thing no matter what) is essential and necessary.

CG Fewston (American, professsor)

ilovedoggie
25-09-2011, 12:43 AM
what is "qiu qian" called in TV? and i realise many vb like to qiu qian...

thanks.

AdGuy
25-09-2011, 12:50 AM
you got so many long hair or co giao...why dun you ask them before we share the answer...just want to see how they trasnlate...:p

They will only make it more confusing. :D

KangTuo
25-09-2011, 01:03 AM

asked my co giao... she say no head no tail so don't what and how to translate

Seletar
25-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi bros, can translate for me, thanks in advance.

Tram: luc nay may nguoi sao rui
khoe ko
hi
lau wa hok gap nho may nguoi wa ah
loan dih chua nao wa day nua hok
ong chon vai ngay nua ve vn

jackbl
25-09-2011, 04:27 AM

Asked my thay giao who study SIM in singapore, he also dun know what it means :(

volcano
25-09-2011, 04:45 AM
what is "qiu qian" called in TV? and i realise many vb like to qiu qian...

thanks.

many Chinese also like to do that mah.....:D

btw,its called "xin sam".....:)

volcano
25-09-2011, 04:47 AM

i ask my North Vietnam and South Vietnam....both also catch no ball.....:confused::confused:

Hurricane88
25-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Asked my thay giao who study SIM in singapore, he also dun know what it means :(

haha...that's why I told her ko hieu and she wrote this..

em ban da banh thuc khuya means

"em chua ngi em ngu ko dc thuc khuya"

blur blur dun know what type of slang...but 1 Viet can translate for me asking me if male or female...:p

I have been dating gers in Vn who has no knowledge of English or Chinese for the past 2 years...so I forced myself to learn and speak TV with them...so far results was deemed successful...:p

I will avoid those who speak english and chinese...but know them to help translate...^_^

jackbl
25-09-2011, 11:59 AM

blur blur dun know what type of slang...but 1 Viet can translate for me asking me if male or female...

After seeing this, I even more blur :( :confused: :o

KangTuo
25-09-2011, 01:30 PM
After seeing this, I even more blur

go look for vb with big (.)(.) to rub your eyes then you will see more clearly :D

jackbl
25-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Why hid in vn if u hv US$14million????

Prudential staff charged for fleeing with $14 mln
The police in Quang Ninh Province have indicted Bui Thi Thu Hang, 27, the former head of a local agent of insurance firm Prudential, for allegedly appropriating over VND300 billion (nearly US$14.4 million) from clients through insurance policies.

After several months of hiding, Hang and her husband, Nguyen Van Hung, 30, were arrested at the Monaco Hotel in Nha Trang City Thursday.

Hung was seized for alleged involvements in Hang’s illegal dealings, police said.

Many victims said Hang since April 2010 has lured them to sign 3-month insurance policies with Prudential to enjoy an interest rate of as much as 50 percent on the value of the policies when they fall due.

Specifically, some victims said, Hang promised them that just three months after a policy worth VND1 billion was signed, the firm would pay them VND500 million as interests.

By offering such a lucrative interest rate, Hang has signed many policies and paid interests to some people.

One of Hang’s victims is Tran Thi Chien, from the province’s Ha Long City. After getting VND100 million as interest on a 200 million policy, Chien mobilized money from her relatives and even got loan banks to invest in such insurance policies.

Meanwhile, after receiving over VND300 billion from her victims, Hang fled with her husband.

Yesterday the Quang Ninh police escorted Hang from Nha Trang to the province for investigation.

jackbl
25-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Vietnamese celebrations
================================
Dear readers,

How was your week?

It is very rare that it did not rain in Ho Chi Minh City on the Mid-Autumn Fest this year. It was a pleasant to see kids in the neighborhood carrying lanterns and wandering about in groups, singing a song about the full moon.

For Vietnamese adults, Mid-Autumn Fest is a day to reminisce about their childhood: the feeling of being bought that butterfly-shaped lantern, quarreling with a sibling over a piece of the moon cake or making new friends on Mid-Autumn Day. But to many foreigners in Vietnam, many confess that Moon Fest is one of the national events they feel least connected since they have never celebrated it as a kid.

However, Zac Herman, a foreigner who has lived in Hanoi for two years, not only has great understanding about the Tet Trung Thu traditions but he also reflects the differences the way Vietnamese adults and children appreciate the fest.

“Tonight, Thủy ignored the "West Lake Ice Cream" shop, the bouquets of pink and yellow daisies at the florist's stall on the corner, and instead stared intently down at her feet, her tiny plastic sandals dangling precariously on the edge of her toes. She was thinking of what was waiting for her at home. She would get to see her grandparents who always brought her imported French chocolates, her uncle with the long goatee that reminded her of uncle Ho Chi Minh's portrait hanging in her classroom, and her two cousins Hoa and Trang, her two best friends. Besides New Year's, the Mid Autumn Festival was her favorite holiday of the entire year.”

This is the first time ever we’ve published a short story on our column. This is a surprise present to you and we hope that it has brought you some festive feelings of this special day.

Besides, we also got another article about another traditional celebration: wedding. Angela Schonberg talked about the first wedding in the countryside she has attended after staying in Vietnam for a year.

“The most interesting part of the wedding for me was being in the room when the groom’s parents, who spoke no Vietnamese, and the bride’s parents, who spoke no English, met for the first time.[..]Luckily, with the help of the translator/bride both sets of soon-to-be in-laws were finally able to communicate how happy and lucky they were,” wrote Angela.

She found that after they dined and wined, guests switched to karaoke rather than dancing like in the West:

“I’ve never been to a Western wedding with karaoke, but I think I may have to start the trend, as they really get into singing. We karaoked all until late at night, with a mix of Vietnamese and Western songs, and everyone, both young and old, took their turn on the microphone.”

As for reader’s comments, J.Leevi agreed that those invited to a wedding need to learn some songs in case they’re asked to sing for the couple. C.Blank said the story reminds him of his wedding five months ago. Congratulations to our newlyweds!

There has been a comment why City Diary publishes stories about daily life events that most foreigners living in Vietnam may have experienced. Actually, it is not what you have experienced but what you view and the lesson you draw. All stories in our column do not only report on the event but also express how the writer sees and feels about the experience.

In Rome, many statues, fountains, and buildings can be a historic attraction for tourists to come to appreciate, take pictures and tell their friends back home. But to locals, those things are just part of their daily life, something they cross by everyday on the way to work.

What we’re trying to say is Vietnam and its culture can be experienced in different ways by locals and expats. Stories about Vietnamese culture, especially if compared with another culture, will make us see things from another perspective and discover an interesting point about the society we’re living in that we may not have seen before.

Remember, City Diary is a playground for all readers of TuoiTre News. You can send us almost everything, from short stories, poems to a 100-word opinion piece. So don’t forget to write us if there is an idea that comes to your mind and send them to the usual address [email protected]

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

jackbl
26-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Shemales offer sex to steal from HCMC foreigners
A phenomenon in which trans-sexual ‘girls’ lured foreigners to hotel rooms to have sex and then stole their assets has recently been reported in Ho Chi Minh City, especially in District 1 – the backpacker’s area.

* It is hard to identify them as trans-sexual girls as they look feminine and nice

* Shemales usually steal from foreign men when they are bathing in hotel rooms.

* Some foreigners lost all money and had to withdraw money from ATMs to pay for taxis

* There are organized rings of shemales in District 1.

Those shemales target foreign men who wander on streets alone at night. Those men are called by shemales as “Tay mo coi” (“orphaned foreigners).

Every night, shemales travel about the city downtown on luxury scooters to hunt for “preys”.

Accompanying some District 1’s criminal policemen on the night of April 8, Tuoi Tre reporters found many nice trans-sexual girls traveling around many streets in the district like Tran Hung Dao, Le Lai, and Nguyen Thai Hoc to search for “orphaned foreigners.”

At first sight, nobody could know such girls were actually young men who have undergone sex change surgeries, as most of them are beautiful and charming.

At 23:50 p.m. , we saw two “girls” stop their deluxe scooter in a corner of the crossroads of Nguyen Thai Hoc – Pham Ngu Lao Streets. One of them got off the bike and came over to a foreign pedestrian, may be a South Korean.

After a few minutes talking with the girl, the man went away, but the girls still followed him to Bui Vien Street. The two sides continued negotiating and then the man got in a taxi with one of the shemales.

The taxi ran towards Chu Y Bridge and then turned right to Pham The Hien Street in District 8. When reaching near the Mat Bridge, the taxi suddenly turned back and ran to the foot of the Chu Y Bridge and stopped.

The girls rushed out of the taxi and went away to the surprise of the foreign man.

It seemed that the girls could have found something unsafe or had some argument with the man.

Offer sex to steal assets

Earlier, on March 19, at the 23-9 Park, near New World Hotel in District 1, we witnessed two shemales coaxing two Japanese men into spending a night with them.

After no more than 1 minute of bargaining, the men agreed to go with the beauties, who drove them on their Attila to a hotel on Hung Vuong in District 10.

Only ten minutes later, the two shemales hurriedly get out of the hotel and drove away in two different directions.

The two Japanese rushed out of the hotel a few minutes later, looking around with anger. They then asked hotel staffs and motorbike taxi drivers nearby about the two girls. Eventual, they could do nothing other than take a taxi to return to New World Hotel.

On the way to the hotel, the taxi had to stop at an ATM box on Nguyen Trai Street for the guests to withdraw money.

Tuoi Tre reporters came and asked them what had happened to them, but the Japanese men embarrassedly said they did not want to report the problem to police.

On February 24, two other Japanese young men were driven by two pretty shemales and a Vietnamese man from Le Lai Street in District 1 to a hotel in District 10.

Similarly, the girls and the local man left the hotel only after 15 minutes. One of the Japanese men later reported to the police of Ben Thanh ward, where they registered for temporary residence.

He said the two ‘girls’ lured him and his friend to go for a message at a price of VND400,000/person.

Once in a hotel room, the girl asked him to take off his clothes and lie on his belly on the bed. While ‘she’ was massaging him, he [with his face down] had a feeling that some other people secretly entered the room but he could not turn over as she was weighing down on him.

After the massage ended, he discovered he lost VND4 million (US$195). The girl was nowhere to be found.

After looking at a number of photos of shemales provided by the police, he identified the ‘girl’ who had been with him in the hotel room.

The girl is actually a young man, Nguyen Minh Tri, 18, who has undergone a sex change surgery and is now living in District 8.

Two criminal shemales rings

There are two gangs of trans-sexual women who conducted crimes in District 1., said the district police department.

One of the two gangs is led by a shemales named G.K., coming from the underground world in District 8, according to police.

The gang operates in the areas on Pham Ngu Lao and Le Lai streets, District 1, where many foreigners live in hotels.

The gang members usually lured their “preys” to hotels in other districts for sex or massage and then stole their money while they were in the bathroom or sleeping.

The thieves would manage to hand over the stolen money to ‘her’ mates waiting outside the room.

The other gang is also headed by trans-sexual women, Men, and operates mainly in the Da Kao ward area with similar tricks.

The fact that the gangs took their guests to different hotels in different districts causes a lot of difficulties to relevant agencies in catching them, said police.

In addition, the gangs are also helped by a number of motorbike taxi drivers, who would drive the thieves away on their motorbikes after each accomplished mission.

jackbl
26-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Street prostitutes cum robbers
==========================================
Hotel staffs in the red-light districts have often become reluctant witnesses to tricks and traps set up by prostitutes to rob or steal money and other assets from their male clients.

Usually, a client who appears loaded enough with money will fall victim to their traps, with the aid from other male gangsters who are also their pimps.

NVD fell into one of such traps on July 5.

After leaving a wedding party in Hoc Mon District after having a few drinks, NVD picked a street girl on his way home on national highway 22 near An Suong Bus Station. They agreed on a ‘happy deal’ of VND200,000 (US$10) for an hour of fun.

After NVD had paid VND50,000 ($2.5) for a room in a nearby motel, the girl changed her mind and insisted on raising her ‘labor cost’ to VND500,000. While he was trying to cut a bargain with her, she abruptly left the room.

NVD rushed out after her only to run into three rough-looking men waiting outside who punched him in the face and asked him to pay VND500,000 if he did not want to be beaten up.

After taking VND500,000 from him, they further demanded that he pay another VND200,000 to cover for their fuel cost to get to the motel. Not wishing to risk his life, NVD bitterly complied with the request.

In the face of these incidents, hotel staffs often choose to stay out as they do not want to get involved in fights and fear retaliations from gangsters.

Nguyen Van Hoa, a staff of a hotel at Phu Lam round-about, said he has seen many men rushing out of their hotel rooms to chase after the girls who have stolen their pockets while they are in the restroom.

In another case, a male client stood helpless under the threat of a knife, to see the prostitute taking away his wallets after warning him she would not give him back his ID should he report to the police.

Drunken men have also fallen prey to these crimes after being lured into hotel rooms, Hoa added.

A security staff in District 5’s Ward 9 said he was reported of a case in which a man was robbed of VND10 million after picking a street girl and following her into a hotel room. The poor man did not know he was walking into an ambush -- a pimp had been lying in wait for his victim under the bed -- until it was too late.

“I was helpless to do anything to help him,” the security man admitted.

Report by District 6 police department shows that 17 prostitutes in Phu Lam round-about have been arrested this year for cheating and stealing.

“It was clearly just the tip of the whole hidden iceberg as many male victims were ashamed and didn’t report the incidents to police,” said Pham Van Nho, chief of a police unit in district 6.

Investigation by Tuoi Tre showed that most street prostitutes in those red-light areas work under the protection of pimps and have to pay them for their protection services.

When a disguised Tuoi Tre (female) journalist was standing in Hoa Binh Park on Nguyen Chi Thanh Street, a mama-san in her middle age approached her and suggested, “You can come here to work at night. I can take care of you, for both food and protection, but you have to pay me half of your earnings.”

“Initially, you just stand here under my protection. After a while I will rent a motorbike for you to ride around to look for clients,” she added.

At Phu Lam round-about, a pimp named Tung bluntly told the disguised Tuoi Tre journalist, “If you don’t want to get a slash on your pretty face, follow me. I’ll give you protection.

“If you discover some fat game [wealthy men], tell me and we’ll share the spoils.”

lovesprout
26-09-2011, 10:34 AM
haha...that's why I told her ko hieu and she wrote this..

blur blur dun know what type of slang...but 1 Viet can translate for me asking me if male or female...:p

I just came back my vacation with my co giao in Vietnam and see many questions here.

em chua ngi, em ngu ko dc, thuc khuya
(I haven't rested yet, I cannot sleep, stay up)

lovesprout
26-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi bros, can translate for me, thanks in advance.

Tram: luc nay may nguoi sao rui
khoe ko
hi
lau wa hok gap nho may nguoi wa ah
loan dih chua nao wa day nua hok
ong chon vai ngay nua ve vn

Right now, many people are bad.
How are you?
Laugh...
Too long don't meet, miss many people
Loan, have you decided yet? When will you come here more?
You choose how many days more you come to vietnam

lovesprout
26-09-2011, 11:00 AM

I see some translation but not so correct. the sentence should be broken this way,

da ko. anh hen e di, bua sau e len mang nc voi anh.

No, You ask me out (hen em = 約我). later I go online chatting with you.

sexlegend
26-09-2011, 11:10 AM
My thanks to both jackbl and lovesprout for the translations. Really admire your linguistic prowess. Myself in and out of Viet for more than four years but my language skill still remain at entry level sigh :o

deptrai4u
26-09-2011, 01:17 PM
My thanks to both jackbl and lovesprout for the translations. Really admire your linguistic prowess. Myself in and out of Viet for more than four years but my language skill still remain at entry level sigh :o

u talking what?? ur linguistic skill may not be as good as whoever but somehow maybe ur tongue power damn solid, everytime tends to run into you at the airport receiving some pretty girls flying in from HCMC just to entertain u! So u already achieving a lot and that is what really matters!

Seletar
26-09-2011, 04:30 PM
How are you?
Laugh...
Too long don't meet, miss many people
You choose how many days more you come to vietnam

Thank you bro, lovesprout, I really catch no ball T.V :o

SureScore
26-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I really catch no ball T.V :o

Don't need to learn so much. Just produce more uncle Yusof notes, sure can be happy and princely treated in Vietnam.

KangTuo
26-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Today learned a meaning of a TV word.

vb: con 1 tuan e ve vn roi, a co cho e tien ve vn ko?
kt: chac co
vb: tai sao ko tl co ma tl chac co?
kt: kg giong nhau ha?
vb: chac co nghia la hen xui :(

so end of day really depends on luck whether i give her more money or not :p

jackbl
26-09-2011, 07:26 PM
em chua ngi, em ngu ko dc, thuc khuya
(I haven't rested yet, I cannot sleep, stay up)

Sorry to disturb....IMO

Rest = nghi
thuc khuya = stay up LATE

jackbl
26-09-2011, 08:50 PM

IMO,

Luc nay may nguoi sao rui- Now how's those people? (wanted to know their wellbeing)

loan dih CHUNG nao wa day nua hok- LOAN decide when come here again or not?

jackbl
27-09-2011, 01:45 AM
vb: chac co nghia la hen xui :(

so end of day really depends on luck whether i give her more money or not :p

My interpretation of chắc có = sure/surely have.......
So it is more confirm than CO.

Anyone can confirm on this?

volcano
27-09-2011, 03:41 AM

it shld be 'should have' if i am not wrong.

lovesprout
27-09-2011, 08:42 AM
IMO,

Luc nay may nguoi sao rui- Now how's those people? (wanted to know their wellbeing)

loan dih CHUNG nao wa day nua hok- LOAN decide when come here again or not?

Agree. Your translation makes more sense to me.

chac co = chac co le = maybe
chac chan co = certainly have

KangTuo
27-09-2011, 04:45 PM

I learned from thay giao jackbl so i think same same as you :p

it shld be 'should have' if i am not wrong.

chac co = chac co le = maybe
chac chan co = certainly have

cam on

sexlegend
27-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Eh ... tat is wat my doctor said too. My linguistic impediment maybe caused by the length and width of my tongue ... good for nothing but for painting up & down or sideway or even in circular motion.

If you see ah pek fetching syt at Changi Airport, it is because me doing pro bono i.e. free airport transfer for tis syt to their ctr.

But seriously, this is one good thread to learn Tieng Viet. Beat any translation book anytime. Salute all these helpful bros.

u talking what?? ur linguistic skill may not be as good as whoever but somehow maybe ur tongue power damn solid, everytime tends to run into you at the airport receiving some pretty girls flying in from HCMC just to entertain u! So u already achieving a lot and that is what really matters!

Hurricane88
27-09-2011, 06:10 PM
If you see ah pek fetching syt at Changi Airport, it is because me doing pro bono i.e. free airport transfer for tis syt to their ctr.

Then I must have seen you before...haha...:p

jackbl
28-09-2011, 01:21 AM
“Red light” districts in Ho Chi Minh City
================================================
“Wanna have some pleasure for 300,000 dongs? Rent of room included.”

Most men riding their bikes alone in some streets in Ho Chi Minh City would find themselves the target of these sex solicitations in public, regardless whether it is during day time or night.

Though banned in Vietnam, prostitution has never been completely eliminated – driven underground during police crackdown campaigns and thriving when police enforcement is lax.

The “butterflies of the night,” as the prostitutes are commonly referred to by the locals, ply their trade around certain streets in Ho Chi Minh City, some riding motorbikes, others on bicycles or just standing under the tree shades on street pavements.

Picking up one of the girls on the streets to have a few brief moments of sexual pleasure, male customers sometimes get more than what they have bargained for. As some men are getting ready in the toilet, the girls disappear from the hotel, together with their wallets, money and cell phones. Sometimes, the prostitutes, working in cahoots with mafia gangs, beat up their customers and rob them of all their money.

One of the current hot spots in Ho Chi Minh City is Hoa Binh Park, located on the corner of Hung Vuong and Nguyen Chi Thanh streets, lying in the border between two districts 5 and 10.

Just spotting a man pulling his bike over to answer a phone call, a girl riding an expensive motorbike approached him and asked, “Looking for pleasure? Three knots (slang for VND300,000 or US$15), rent of room included.”

Getting no response, she moved on to another man sitting on his bike nearby. They had some brief exchanges and, apparently after agreeing on the price, rode away together on their bikes.

It was a brief scene a Tuoi Tre journalist witnessed on Nguyen Chi Thanh Street on August 24.

On a stretch of street that is only 500 meters long, running from Nguyen Chi Thanh Street to Hoa Binh Park, prostitution activities seem to go on around the clock. The girls just need to cross the street to enter another jurisdiction to escape in case of police raids or ID checks.

Mr. Sau, a taxi motorbike rider in the area, said, “Prostitutes parade themselves on this street every day from early morning till mid night. They used to cruise the street only at night but recently have started to hang around here all day long.”

It is estimated that around 40-50 “butterflies of the night” work this stretch of the street.

“The police raided the area some months ago, bring down the prostitution activities for a time, but the problem has re-surfaced recently,” said NVT, a night watchman of Ward 9 in District 5.

Other streets, such as Le Tuan Mau and Kinh Duong Vuong in District 6, Hong Bang in District 5, Cong Hoa in Tan Binh District, 23-9 Park in District 1, Linh Xuan Bypass in Thu Duc District and An Suong T-Road in District 12, have also seen prostitutes publicly waving down passers-by.

A sex worker who introduced herself as Lan admitted, “I had a customer at 7:00 am early morning today.”

“It doesn’t really matter whether it is day time or night time. As long as a guest has money, anytime is ok.

“Recently, many men want to do it during day time. And supply comes after demand,” she said curtly, bringing our conversation to an end.

jackbl
28-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Favoring foreigners
===================================

Last month, I went to a food court in Diamond Plaza and ordered some roll dishes. When I returned to my seat, a group of Korean tourists entered. Waiting for 20 minutes, I still hadn’t got served. However, when I looked at the Korean guests’ table, dishes continued to be laid out in front of them.

I angrily took a receipt and went to the counter, showing a staff there the time I ordered. The staff asked for my sympathy because it was crowded.

“I came when there was no guest. Why didn’t you serve me first?” I asked.

“But they are foreigners,” replied a staff.

“Foreigners?” I raised my voice. “So what? First come, first served. Now you either bring me my dishes or pay me back.”

Five minutes later, my dishes were served.

Another time, I took my child to a water park where guests were asked not to wear shoes or slippers due to hygienic reasons.

When we arrived at a water slide, we saw a foreigner wearing sandals and he was allowed to take the ride.

When I reacted, a staff explained, “Because he is foreigner.”

I guess the staff was too “friendly” to tourists or didn’t know enough English to explain to him the rule.

This kind of “discrimination” even takes place in resorts or upscale restaurants.

Recently, our family stayed in a hotel in Nha Trang. In the morning, we went to the hotel’s restaurant for breakfast and no one greeted or guided us. Behind us, there were two foreigners coming inside the restaurant. Immediately, a manager and a staff said, “Good morning! May I help you sir?”

As Vietnam has opened up to the world, more and more foreigners are coming here to work. Not all of them are bosses, as Vietnamese often think. When I accompany foreign colleagues, some of whom are my subordinates, I am often asked, “Can you explain to your boss that…”

Nguyen Pham (Vietnamese)

*This piece was translated from a Vietnamese article written by Nguyen Pham on Saigon Tiep Thi newspaper

Honey Boon
28-09-2011, 11:08 AM
bro, you are not alone .... :confused::p

jackbl
29-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone, need help on translation.

I sent a SMS to a VB for greeting/ask her well-being, etc. She replied below:
VB : Cam dong lam em mung huc.

Anyone know what is the mung huc??? :confused:

lovesprout
29-09-2011, 12:40 PM

should be "muon khoc", meaning "wants to cry"

jackbl
29-09-2011, 03:14 PM
should be "muon khoc", meaning "wants to cry"

No, it is not. The sentence ended with hi hi. If it is sad, the sentence will end with huhu.

KangTuo
29-09-2011, 03:26 PM
No, it is not. The sentence ended with hi hi. If it is sad, the sentence will end with huhu.

i.e
I happy till i wanna cry. heehee
what it means?

don't think straight.... :)

volcano
29-09-2011, 05:28 PM

it shld be 'mung hut' instead of 'mung huc'.

meaning a certain thing that only happens now but will vanish tomorrow.

Hurricane88
29-09-2011, 05:32 PM

yes...I consulted my long hair co giao...she also said "mung hut"...:p

KangTuo
29-09-2011, 05:36 PM
had a quarrel with a vb from morning till now.

vb: bx day roi
kt: hwa bx kg di ks voi ox, bg ox bi benh roi, ox nho bx wa
vb: bx nho ox ma ox ko nho bx. Ox chi muon di ks giai quyet bai tam su cua ox thoi.

then few sms about money and ks...

kt: may kg nghe dt thi thoi. tao se kg goi cho may va kg gap may roi.
vb: Sac... khung kiep wa. Tao noi cho may nghe nha, may ko goi cho tao thi thoi. Tao ko can may nua, dan ong tui may ai cung deu het.
vb: tao bt may xl, nhung lo yeu may nen tao moi de may xl voi tao. Nhung ma bg tao ko thich de may xl voi tao nua. Tao tinh ngu roi, ko can ngu mo nua dau.

noon, I went over her house planning to have some more heated argument. But saw each other, nothing to say... awhile later lovey-dovey again. Then I go back to office...

vb: bx muon mua vali
kt: di mua di
vb: tien dau co ma mua. Chi co 20dong ah
kt: Con noi toi tien ha? hwa bx di lam kiem dc 140dong ma bg sao chi co 20dong?
kt: ox kg muon mua do cho bx roi. mua do cho bx kg the chung minh ox yeu bx, mua lam j? bx chi thich tien thoi. bx keu khach cua bx mua vali cho bx di. Bg bx keu ngta di choi, ngta se vui, j cung mua dc cho bx.
vb: bx luc nao cung danh het tinh cam cho ox, danh thoi gian cho ox. Nhung doi lai bx dc cai j? Ox tinh toan voi bx tung luc di an, tung mon do lat vat.
kt: ox luc nao cung danh het tinh cam cho bx, danh thoi gian cho bx. Nhung doi lai, ox dc cai j?
vb: Yeu va dc yeu la 2 thu khac nhau. OX dc yeu, chu ox ko yeu ai het. Dan ong spore chi dc yeu chu ko yeu ai het.
vb: Thoi ko can noi nhieu nua. Chia tay som, bot dau kho.

Any bro knows the translation in red and the whole meaning in blue?

volcano
29-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeu va dc yeu la 2 thu khac nhau. OX dc yeu, chu ox ko yeu ai het. Dan ong spore chi dc yeu chu ko yeu ai het[/COLOR]

love someone and being love by someone is different.u only wants to be loved but no love anyone.Singapore guys can only be loved but dun love anyone.

giai quyet bau tam su-the whole sentence meaning that she means noting to u,u only wants her to satisfy ur sexual needs only.

tao tinh ngu roi,ko muon ngu mo nua dau-i wake up already,dun want to dream anymore.

tinh toan voi bx tung luc di an,tung mon do lat vat-meaning u r very calculative about money matters even for those normal daily spendings.

chia tay som,bot dau kho-break off early to stop unhappiness

hieu chua KT kor kor oi.....:)

KangTuo
30-09-2011, 01:44 AM
hieu chua KT kor kor oi.....:)

hieu roi. cam on em volcano :)

AdGuy
01-10-2011, 12:20 AM
hieu roi. cam on em volcano :)

Looking forward to learning TV from Bro Volcano next week:D

AdGuy
01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
“Red light” districts in Ho Chi Minh City
================================================
“Recently, many men want to do it during day time. And supply comes after demand,” she said curtly, bringing our conversation to an end.

This article is rich in lobangs. I've taken down the addresses :D

Most interesting is the thought that VN sex workers also understand the laws of economics :cool:

Seletar
01-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi brothers, can help me translate, I catch no ball, thanks in advance.

Chi len an voi e ne

jackbl
01-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Chi len an voi e ne

Are u spying on your gal? u read sms/yahoo of your gal???

Chi len an voi e ne= Sister, come up eat with me

jackbl
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM

yes...I consulted my long hair co giao...she also said "mung hut"...:p

Hi thanks for the help. I cannot find the meaning of the words. Dun mind to write the word with diacritical mark?

KangTuo
01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi thanks for the help. I cannot find the meaning of the words. Dun mind to write the word with diacritical mark?

you can ask all your co giao ma :p

jackbl
01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
you can ask all your co giao ma :p

Nowadays I didnt learn much from my co giaos already...

Wow u wake up so early on Saturday? Are u taking extended lesson till now? :D

KangTuo
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Wow u wake up so early on Saturday? Are u taking extended lesson till now?

abit expensive lesson leh...
last week had and extended lesson, i paid $119 to the school only. completed 2 modules.
yesterday extended lesson, i paid $75 for the school and $100 for the teacher. I completed another 3 modules

:D

lovesprout
01-10-2011, 01:44 PM

mừng hụt, means happiness is short-lived. For example, you promised a VB that you will bring her to hotel, but 1 min later you told her that you have no $$. Then she can say, "mừng hụt"

volcano
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Looking forward to learning TV from Bro Volcano next week:D

noting much to learn....i only knows some broken street TV nia....:D

volcano
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi brothers, can help me translate, I catch no ball, thanks in advance.

Chi len an voi e ne

bro Seletar,its been more then 6 mths since we had kopi together...seems to me that u r having a hard time keeping tabs on ur gal.

jackbl
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
mừng hụt, means happiness is short-lived. For example, you promised a VB that you will bring her to hotel, but 1 min later you told her that you have no $$. Then she can say, "mừng hụt"

Thank you very much! Seems that your TV has improved tremendous... I go dictionary, google translate, etc also cant find the meaning. Can you let me know how u know it??

Why i ask for the word in diacritcal mark cos I need to record it down as a learning note :D

lovesprout
01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you very much! Seems that your TV has improved tremendous... I go dictionary, google translate, etc also cant find the meaning. Can you let me know how u know it??

Why i ask for the word in diacritcal mark cos I need to record it down as a learning note :D

Anyone who always travels with co giao in vietnam surely improves his tieng viet fast. :rolleyes:

But I am not that good yet. This one I also asked my co giao for help. :D

Seletar
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Are u spying on your gal? u read sms/yahoo of your gal???

Chi len an voi e ne= Sister, come up eat with me

Yes, I have her yahoo chat acc. Last time I used her iphone access my yahoo email and sent her sexy photo to my yahoo email but now suddenly the photos disappeared from my email she denied access my acc. I suspect she has many bf.

I have her chat password also. But this one talking to her is girl or boy ?
Thanks bro, jackbl.

Seletar
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
bro Seletar,its been more then 6 mths since we had kopi together...seems to me that u r having a hard time keeping tabs on ur gal.

yes, bro, 6 months very fast. I hope to see you next trip. June I also went there find her. I already almost split with her, only chat in yahoo. She sao nhieu nhieu .If u are free, can bring me around because so far I no enjoy all the places you mentioned in VN.

jackbl
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Motorbike racers ‘storm’ HCMC streets
=================================================

Mobs of hundreds of racers continue to roar through the city on weekends, with some hitting traffic police or luring them into fatal traps

The death of a traffic policeman and the injuring of three others while raiding illegal street races reflects the worsening illegal racing problem in Ho Chi Minh City, police said.

Sergeant major Luong Khanh Viet was chasing a group of 30 motorbike street racers when he crashed on a slippery section of District 1’s Nguyen Trai Street.

The accident happened at around 3:50 a.m. on September 12. The 22-year-old policeman died on the spot while sergeant major Tran Vo Hoai Thanh, who was riding in the back, suffered serious injuries.

Earlier on September 10, two policemen chased a pair of racers to the intersection at Nguyen Binh Khiem and Nguyen Van Thu streets in District 1. One of the two racers kicked the police bike, causing the officers to crash. Lieutenant Le Trong Tuan suffered a broken thigh bone while sergeant major Phan Thanh Nhon came away with minor injuries.

Residents at the site caught the racers and handed them to local police.

During that weekend, traffic police in HCMC issued fines against 130 illegal racers and seized 7 unregistered motorbikes.

Thanh Nien launched an investigation last weekend that found that street racing in HCMC now attracts mobs of more than a thousand motorbike racers, as opposed to the hundreds it attracted just a few years ago.

The drivers observed by Thanh Nien drove aggressively down city streets on souped-up bikes, often performing tricks. At times, they stopped at pre-determined intersections to hold races, between either two racers or groups of six. The mass of riders often stretched for several kilometers down the street.

None of drivers wear helmets as required by law, and many motorbikes display either fake registration plates, or none at all.

Around a hundred drivers were found to actually be illegal racers, while the others were spectators.

Overnight racers

On Saturday (September 17) at around 9 p.m., hundreds of motorbikes began to gather around several streets in Districts 4 and Binh Thanh to prepare for the weekend race.

However, it wasn’t until 3 a.m. when the first race was held on Binh Thanh’s D2 Street. As usual, several riders performed tricks such as wheelies, zigzagging or driving with their feet.

The group held two-driver drag races for about 20 minutes before the racers and the mob continued to ‘storm,’ the common term in Vietnamese, to Dien Bien Phu and Bach Dang streets to find stretches of road conducive to racing.

At 4 a.m. a group of about 500 motorbikes arrived at Nguyen Huu Tho Street where races pitting six drivers against each other were held. During one race, one spectator acting as sentry warned that the police were coming, and the racers quickly dispersed. They continued to drive around the city.

Thirty minutes later, they were found at Chu Van An Street in Binh Thanh District where the races resumed.

They continued the cycle of racing, driving around to avoid the police, then racing again until 7 in the morning before dispersing for the night.

Organized races

One of the racers, who wishes to be known only as S., said there are people assigned to inspect proposed sites beforehand and advise group leaders about the best places to hold the races.

“Another group will stay around during the races to look out for police raids,” said S. who is a racer for a notorious motorbike garage in HCMC that specializes in modifying bikes to make them more competitive. They also modify exhaust pipes to give them that distinctive, deafening roar that defines the races.

Many motorbike repair shops in the city have also sent drivers to the races to promote their services, he said.

“The racers always know which bike was modified by which shop,” he said.

Early Sunday morning (September 18), many racers from shops such as these congregated on Binh Thanh District’s Xo Viet Nghe Tinh Street. They performed several tricks on their motorbikes before starting the races that lasted until 7 a.m., terrifying local residents and passersby in the process.

One racer said many motorbike repair shops soup-up vehicles for between VND5 million and VND20 million, after which the souped-up bike could accelerate to up to 180 kph (112 mph), while the maximum allowed speed in the city is only 40 kph.

Owners of motorbike repair shops often recruit racers and supply modified bikes for them to win races. The owners bet among themselves, and racers get ten percent of the pot.

Meanwhile, many residents have complained that illegal races have affected their everyday lives.

A man living on Xo Viet Nghe Tinh Street said he hasn’t been able to sleep well during weekends for the past ten years due to the roaring motorbikes.

“Many residents have complained to local authorities but to no avail. Some racers have been fined but it was not enough to deter them from racing again. No one dares to go out at night due to the dangerous races,” he said, adding that a local resident was killed recently as she crossed the street, unwittingly stepping into the path of racers.

Some on this street have installed glass in their windows to keep out the roar of the illegal races, that often last all night long.

By Dam Huy – Giang Phuong, Thanh Nien News (The story can be found in the September 23rd issue of our print edition, Thanh Nien Weekly)

jackbl
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Are foreigners and Vietnamese treated equally?
Dear readers,

Welcome to the first day of October.

We’re now officially in the middle of autumn. Do you feel a little of the cold breeze when you drive to work early morning?

Remember a couple weeks ago, we discussed how difficult it was to be an expat due to differences in culture, language, and ideologies?

However, as a local, Nguyen Pham finds foreigners in Vietnam have more advantages. She recalls being served after a group of foreigners in a food court even though she ordered first or being neglected by hotel staff who later greeted and behaved nicely to foreign tourists.
Besides, Nguyen Pham said that being with a foreigner, she is always thought to be his and her subordinate although she is actually their boss.

Agreeing with Nguyen Pham, reader C.Blank wrote: “In once case I was shopping at Vincom with my wife the other day. I had just gotten off work and was still in my business attire. A sales staff eventually approached us and asked my Vietnamese wife if she was my secretary. Although, I saw the humor in it; I could find were some of the more self conscious individuals may have been less amused.”

“One of the biggest problems plaguing Vietnam is lack of customer service training. As a parent, you teach your children how to act and how to behave even before enrolling them in schools. In business, you need to train your employees to treat customers the way they need to be treated: equally,” M. Nguyen tried to explain the issue.

In contrast, a reader called Bob said he had been treated the same way as his Vietnamese wife and moreover, charged double the normal price.

How about you, what do you think about this? Are Vietnamese and locals treated the same way in Vietnam?

We also have an article that reader Hoang Pham sent us about an interesting experience on the street: drivers giving signals to each other when there are cops ahead so they can avoid being seized and paying crazy fines. Not only telling his experience, the reader also questioned himself the legality of this action and he thought it is a yes.

“Personally I think the acts are legal since they are good citizens telling others to obey the law. Others may say that aiding and abetting a crime is a crime but please remember road rule violations just pertain to the administrative domain. But could the grudging cops do something about it? I guess no. the best they can is to stalk the Samaritans and try to find out where and when they commit traffic wrongdoings to get due payback,” wrote Hoang Pham.

Earlier this week, we had some words from Jamie Henn, co-founder and communications director at environmental organization 350.Org. He mentioned the change to greener fuel like solar power to prevent climate change and protect the planet.

“The fact that more and more people are becoming concerned about the effects of climate change is already a success. Where there is awareness, there is action. I am honored to work with you in the anti-climate change campaign,” said Henn.

Riding bicycle to travel around the world, the couple Thuy Anh and Guim have arrived in Peloponnese, a Greek island in the Mediterranean. Guim feels like going back to his home Costa Brava in Spain due to the same color, same flora and fauna, same smell, same salt-carrying wind at the island.

“The Mediterranean Sea has all the ingredients that my person contains. Once its breeze touches my skin, it starts to get smooth, shiny, alive; my eyes change according to the light, as now there’s still daylight until 8 or 9 o’clock in the evening,” wrote Guim.

It seems that being around the Mediterranean Sea has made Guim become more emotional. We are looking forward to seeing the couple back in Spain and hearing more stories from our Spaniard cyclist.

If you have any comments or submission for City Diary, remember to send them to [email protected].

Have a nice weekend!

sengseng2
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi bros,
Need some help in translation of below.

"Em khong bit tieng hoa a dung buon em nhe"

Tried online translation but cant get it.
Thks in advance.

jackbl
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
"Em khong bit tieng hoa a dung buon em nhe"

In this context,
Em= I
khong = not
bit=biet=know
tieng hoa=chinese/mandarin
a=anh= You
dung=do not
buon=sad
em=me
nhe=ok

KangTuo
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
In this context,

then what it means in another context?

jackbl
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Chinese-owned clinics: Talk much, do nothing
=================================================
Doctors at many Chinese-owned clinics in Ho Chi Minh City have given deceitful prescriptions to patients, sold medicines at exorbitant prices, and in some cases, caused complications, many readers told Tuoi Tre.

Despite hyperbolic claims in their advertisements about their capabilities, Chinese-owned clinics failed to deliver their promise to patients and yet proved to be super-effective in fleecing them.

Bluffing their way through crooked treatment plans

Many patients said they ended up at Chinese clinics after seeing or reading their advertisements on the tube and in the newspapers.

Some of them were impressed with the printed materials, often made to look like health magazines and freely distributed by the clinics to patients, in which they boasted they could treat nearly all diseases.

“Trung Nam General Hospital” at 1509 Ba Thang Hai, District 11, is one of the places that could inflate a supersized balloon with their hot air. In their promotion materials, Chinese doctors here claimed to be able to perform an abortion on a woman “within 3 minutes” or “orthopedics of male genital organ with international techniques.”

It also advertised “13 family-owned methods to treat cancer.”

Similarly, an oriental clinic called Hien Dai at 337 Cong Hoa, in Tan Binh district, in their advertising leaflets and booklets, declared it can cure a wide variety of diseases with “esoteric methods.” Diabetes, it claimed, can be cured at the clinic after 2-4 times of treatment. Men with kidney failures, or suffering from sexual impotence or early ejection, could rid themselves of these problems after only 1 or 2 treatments!

The same hyperbole can be found at Truong An clinic at 786 Hong Bang, District 11 where patients are told diseases like impotence, kidney failure, infertility, hepatitis B, diabetes, gravel, and cirrhosis can easily be cured here in a short time with “age-old secret methods.” It even said it could help improve the size of short or small penis at patients’ requests.

These extravagant advertisements are often seen on many national TV channels, including SCTV7, SCTV9, VTV9, and BPTV1. However, many patients said after spending tens of millions on treatment at these places their health not only did not improve but in some cases they even suffered from complications.

Gross exaggeration is the name of the game

42-year-old N.Q.D., a Vietnamese-American, whose private part suffered some red rashes after using condoms, came to Trung Nam on August 9 after watching some advertisements of the clinic on television.

After a preliminary examination involving a test of his urine sample and a CT scan, a Chinese doctor told him he had urinary infection and Candida fungus and enlarged prostate. He offered D. treatment at the prices of VND2 million (US$96) for the fungus and urinary infection, 4-8 million for enlarged prostate and VND2 million for circumcision.

While waiting for the test results, D. talked to other male patients at the clinic who told him they were given exactly the same diagnosis. Doubtful, D. came to Binh Dan Hospital and was told he had not suffered any of those diseases.

To be continued

vietnam80
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
any bros here can help me translate what is "tinh yeu"? i googled but cant find any.... :( thks in advance

ThaiBeautiful
03-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Suddenly have this interest to pick up Vietnamese as well!!!
nice to see sooo many senior expert Viets here!

Seletar
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
any bros here can help me translate what is "tinh yeu"? i googled but cant find any.... :( thks in advance

it is " love "