View Single Post
Old 13-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 136 / Power: 21
lucifier deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guylucifier deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guy
Re: Poi Pet (Cambodia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane
I have been pondering over the route to take to Siem Reap from BK over the past few days. It's great to hear from ppl who had travelled along the Poipet route before. Guys, thanks for sharing your experiences here!! In fact, after reading the articles from the Tales of Asia, I'm thinking it may be better idea to fly into HCMC and move into Phnom Penh (i.e via the Viet-Cambodian border), Siem Reap and finally cross the border at Poipet to Bangkok. I read that it's less problematic to get from Poipet to Bangkok. Hope this is true. Anybody has any comment/advice on this ?? Thanks !!!

Oh, btw, if you are wondering what's the hack I'm doing....I'm just trying to visit the 4 cities - BK, Siem Reap, PP and HCMC on a single trip.

Sorry WillyL, need to borrow your thread to ask for some advice. Thanks.
hi bro Hurricane,

It is less problematic to get from Poipet to Bangkok because the "bottleneck" is really at the Cambodia custom. Thailand custom dun have this type of problem as long as u follow the rule. The problem at the Cambodia side is that they dun follow the offical rules, and if they follow, they will "die" of hunger. Their monthly salary is damn low that they had to resort to this type of scam. I dun mind ripped off sometime, but only in small amount. If the ripped is a few Sg dollars, I dun really mind as long as thing go on smoothly. I believe in Sg, if u buy something a few dollars but when back home, if u dun really need the thing, that few thing u buy will be in "cold storage" liao. A few dollars is ok. There is always ripped off when travel in this part of the world. The trip is how to minimize this. Even those who are born in Cambodia but work/study in France / US or other part of Europe also kenna ripped off because they lost their native accent even though they can speak Khmer.

I myself had travelled from Bkk - Poipet - Siem Reap - Phnom Penh and back to Bangkok. I actually want to go to Ho Chin Minh City but give up due to lack of time. I think it is adventurous of u to cover the 4 cities in a single trip and I saluate u for that. You are the man. There is no harm doing that as there are many backpackers who had done that. Just do your home work , bring a good guide book (my favourite is Lonely Planet) and remember to apply for the necessary visa. Lastly, all you need is time. I think for your trip, to really appreciate the journey and the destination, it is advisable to go on at least 3 weeks.